The Prince of Wales & The Duchess of Cornwall visit Denmark: March 24-27, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The sweater presented to Camilla, is it to do with Danish tradition (the print etc)?

I think you might call it a Nordic tradition. My own mum knitted these sweaters; they were called 'Icelandic sweaters' when I was a child. In Denmark you can also buy lots of these sweaters as Norwegian patterned sweaters.

Gudrun og Gudrun who are behind the famous sweater from The Killing are from the Faroe Isles.

Lovely article, thanks EIIR! :flowers:
I love all the little jokes Charles and Camilla liked, and I think I'm going to watch The Killing now.

Prince Charles met some ex-pats during the final day; nice to see the Welsh flag proudly on display for the meeting with the Prince of Wales. :)
I absolutely love the picture of Mary and Camilla with their gifts; wonder whether we will ever see those worn by either of them.

Meanwhile, Prince Frederik made sure it's not all duty and took Prince Charles to play some Danish Pin Billiards.
- Prince Charles and Prince Frederik
- Prince Charles prepares for a shot
- Wish I knew how well Prince Charles did :D

Gallery from Daylife

Last edited:
'We're addicts!' The Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Charles reveal their obsession with Danish crime drama The Killing | Mail Online

Camilla got her hands on Sarah Lund's 'gun' today, apparently she joked '"it was me all along!".

Charles told Ms Grabol that Camilla got him into the programme, and it's one of the few things they can agree on watching together.

Thanks for the links.
I saw a clip on TV last night from Charles and Camilla's visit to Helsingør (Elsinore); they come across as a very nice couple. They are professionals; but they seem very good at giving the spectators a warm, royal experience. Charles in particular seems very good at small-talking with people.

He was really funny when he (jokingly) asked the people standing there (and probably waiting for him): Is this the queue for the ice-cream?
Brought back memories of my year in London.

Last edited:
The main character in The Killing, of which Camilla is apparently a fan, wears these woollen jumpers with some pretty loud patterns. It's become the programme's trademark. I've only seen bits of the show but the character is famous for wearing these old fashioned jumpers.

You can even knit your own if you're that way inclined:

The Killing: knit your own Sarah Lund jumper | Radio Times

My mom's an avid knitter; I wonder if she'd like to tackle one of these for her favorite daughter?:lol:

An article from the Defence site about C&C visiting wounded veterans at Kastellet yesterday: Sårede mødte Prins Charles

One of them, Dennis Dencker, (That's the man in the wheelchair) talked to Prince Charles. The PoW expressed his compassion and also expressed his admiration for Dennis Dencker completing the New York Marathon.
Dennis Dencker added: "Prince Charles was full of admiration that had completed a marathon. He was incredibly pleasant to talk with and we laughed and had fun".

Dennis Dencker, along with other crippled veterans take part in a three year long project aiming for the soldiers to enter a sport on a high level. Some even reaching Olympic standard in similar projects.
The aim is of course to give them a purpose of life, a goal, and to rehabillitate better. As such they compete, and find suppert, with fellow veterans.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know if I should laugh or roll my eyes way back in the head.

An article in Politiken quotes two bloggers from The Guardian and The Telegraph. Engelske bloggere: Camilla gav dødskys til Forbrydelsen - Politiken.dk

You see because Duchess Camilla has revealed herself as a follower of the series The Killing, that series is no longer cool to watch.
It's a PR-disaster for the series is the opinion of the bloggers. It has lost it's exclusiveness.
The first season was followed by a small exclusive minority. The second season by a larger but still limited number of viewers. But now the common riff-raff may start to watch it.

-:lol::rolleyes: It never cease to astonish me how much utter nonsense is written in connection with the royals.
And I who in my naivity thought people watched the series because they thought it was worth watching.
Talk about first class snobbery.

For the record: I have never watched a single episode of the Killing. It's probably a great series, but I just rarely watch series because I work odd and irregular hours.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know if I should laugh or roll my eyes way back in the head.

An article in Politiken quotes two bloggers from The Guardian and The Telegraph. Engelske bloggere: Camilla gav dødskys til Forbrydelsen - Politiken.dk

You see because Duchess Camilla has revealed herself as a follower of the series The Killing, that series is no longer cool to watch.
It's a PR-disaster for the series is the opinion of the bloggers. It has lost it's exclusiveness.
The first season was followed by a small exclusive minority. The second season by a larger but still limited number of viewers. But now the common riff-raff may start to watch it.

-:lol::rolleyes: It never cease to astonish me how much utter nonsense is written in connection with the royals.
And I who in my naivity thought people watched the series because they thought it was worth watching.
Talk about first class snobbery.

For the record: I have never watched a single episode of the Killing. It's probably a great series, but I just rarely watch series because I work odd and irregular hours.

I read the particular Telegraph blog earlier; most of the comments on it were pretty scathing of the author. Stephen Fry sums this phenomenon up perfectly in his book The Fry Chronicles:

“One of the most unattractive human traits, and so easy to fall into, is resentment at the sudden shared popularity of a previously private pleasure. Which of us hasn’t been annoyed when a band, writer, artist or television series that had been a minority interest of ours has suddenly achieved mainstream popularity? When it was at a cult level we moaned at the philistinism of a world that didn’t appreciate it, and now that they DO appreciate it we’re all resentful and dog-in-the-manger about it.”

Last edited:
I read the particular Telegraph blog earlier; most of the comments on it were pretty scathing of the author. Stephen Fry sums this phenomenon up perfectly in his book The Fry Chronicles:

He is right. Stephen Fry has a very sharp mind indeed.

Later on, the royal couple visited Via University where they were greeted by students; now that's what I call a nice turnout!

You bet! I watched a segment on the news from the Via University. C&C were genuinely cheered by the students.

You bet! I watched a segment on the news from the Via University. C&C were genuinely cheered by the students.

I think it's safe to say the trips to Scandinavia were highly successful.
Wherever they went, I could only see smiling, happy faces and huge crowds. Not to mention, Charles and Camilla appeared to enjoy every minute as well. :)

I accidentally stumbled upon The Killing on BBC Four one night, it just happened to be the last few minutes of the last episode of the series where the killer was revealed. I kinda didn't see the point of watching all the previous episodes since I already knew 'whodunnit'.

I believe Borgen is very good too but I haven't seen any of it.

I'm sure Charles and Camilla will be glad to get home after a busy week. There's nothing like sleeping in your own bed.

I'm sure Charles and Camilla will be glad to get home after a busy week. There's nothing like sleeping in your own bed.

No, there sure isn't. (Didn't watch Borgen either. - Another series).

However, I get the impression that this wasn't the most streneous visit C&C have been on.
I must confess I didn't follow the visits to Norway and Sweden very closely, but I feel the visit here in DK at least was pretty laid back.
Okay, there was the QEII celebration and meeting the ex-pats in Scandinavia, and there were a handful of not too formal official events.
As I see it right now, this looked more like a semi-official sightseeing trip to Scandinavia where Camilla was presented to the Scandinavian royals on a pretty informal basis.
It was like the DRF said: "Relax and enjoy yourselves. Have a look around and a chat with the natives. We'll join you from time to time. It'll be fun".

The Scandinavia tour seems to have been quite successful. Camilla seemed very relaxed through the whole trip.

As I see it right now, this looked more like a semi-official sightseeing trip to Scandinavia where Camilla was presented to the Scandinavian royals on a pretty informal basis.
It was like the DRF said: "Relax and enjoy yourselves. Have a look around and a chat with the natives. We'll join you from time to time. It'll be fun".

this is exactly how i saw the tour

I saw Frederik and Mary as great hosts. Letting Charles and Camilla be the "stars".

I went to see Charles and Frederik when they visited Gyldenrisparken which is close to where I live, it was exciting - A LOT OF PEOPLE though :lol: It looked like both of them had a nice time there.

:previous:
Thanks for the article.
Mary looks as if she thinks the gun is real - and Camilla is about to try it on her. :D
The ladies had a lot of fun on the set; the visit was an extremely informal and pleasant one for all concerned.

Last edited:
Looked to me like they were having some relaxed fun Camilla clowning around with a prop gun and Mary acting/ducking for cover. A nice relaxed tour and glad that Charles and Camilla had the chance to get to know Fred and Mary a little bit better.

Last edited:

This is the way to meet, greet and talk to children - at full adult height. Anything else unsettles a child. I have not watched Mary do other meetings with children but I'm just saying for right here.

There are two other current princesses 'on the circuit' who are taking the unusual tact of hunkering down to talk to children. Not. Good. I wince whenever I see it done - and watch the very often dazed look on the child's face in the onslaught. Children expect/need distance until they are ready to give intimacy - and that is something one has to watch for, not assume.

Give a child distance. Wait for the child to make the move - and then one can come in close if one so desires. It strikes me that some princesses feel that they must prove they have a rapport with children. Mary clearly does - she has nothing to prove - and one can see it in the faces of the children.

If this were a picture of one of the other two princesses, I know we'd be seeing a crouching pose. :argh:

Um, Mary has crouch down and bent down plenty of time when meeting children. And I did not know there was a right way to meet and greet children. Wrong way yes but right way?

Um, Mary has crouch down and bent down plenty of time when meeting children. And I did not know there was a right way to meet and greet children. Wrong way yes but right way?

As I said, I was commenting on just what I was seeing here.

Everyone has their opinion - not so? :flowers:

Love the Killing articles and photos, tx for posting,

As I said, I was commenting on just what I was seeing here.

Everyone has their opinion - not so? :flowers:

You presented as a fact like it was back by research or something

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom