The Prince of Wales & The Duchess of Cornwall visit Denmark: March 24-27, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a big kerfluffle over nothing. These are just people. They are only made special by other poeple who give them this mystique, there is nothing more. Who cares what any of the Scandinaivian families did for this or that. I am sure that this visit is a publicity thing and each nation has treated it as they cared to. The Norwegians are closer to the BRF. The Swedes looked somewhat disinterested and the Danes have been very polite. What more can you ask for.

Let's have a look at Monday's events shall we? :)

The last time Kronborg fired it's cannons in anger was in 1807 against English warships.

Are they fired in grins in their faces now? :lol::flowers:

Thank you for all the information you have provided in the past & for the future.

I'm just stunned at the tone of this board concerning the Donaldson's. These are two people who attended the Church service with -- I'm assuming -- other British people who also worship there. Can we assume that the Donaldson's as -- perhaps -- two of the more recognizable and "famous" members of the congregation were invited to take part in the tree planting ceremony? Would it make any difference if they were Mr. & Mrs. Smith from England or a Commonwealth nation who happened to live in Denmark and worship at this Church.

Really people! I cannot imagine that our delightful Daisy would allow her guests to feel as if they've been abandoned and left with the in-laws! :)

The problem for me is that we know that the Donaldson's aren't Anglican but Presbyterian. It smacks to me of the Donaldson's being foisted on Charles and Camilla rather than some other Anglican, simply because they are related to Mary. I am sure that there are regular attenders at the church who would have loved the chance but instead Mary's family are involved and they don't live in Denmark nor are they of the Church of England denomination.

I find the "controversy" quite amusing, especially since some posters seem to get quite upset about what they believe is right or wrong according to some imagined rules of protocol yet such things don't really seem to bother the royals concerned who just go on their merry way.
I am sure Mr Donaldson did not just appear out of the blue. Either the Church asked him to be there or the palace asked him to be there. He is probably the most prominent of QEII's subjects in Denmark, even if only on a part time basis, and is the father of the Danish Crown Princess as well as himself being a Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog.
For some reason this all seems much more upsetting to people outside Denmark than it does to the Danes.

Iluvbertie said:
The problem for me is that we know that the Donaldson's aren't Anglican but Presbyterian. It smacks to me of the Donaldson's being foisted on Charles and Camilla rather than some other Anglican, simply because they are related to Mary. I am sure that there are regular attenders at the church who would have loved the chance but instead Mary's family are involved and they don't live in Denmark nor are they of the Church of England denomination.

I thought the CoE in Scotland is Presbyterian...if it is, it would make sense that Mr. Donaldson is Presbyterian given his roots but also within the realm of CoE for him to attend the Anglican service. I thought it was a nice gesture for them to be there in any case.

Yet again in the Danish forum I am accused of saying things that I obviously didn't. I did not accuse the Donaldsons of being grasping social climbers - I quite clearly stated that if the Middletons turned up to this sort of event that is how they would be considered in the UK.

I fail to see what would be so wrong with a Danish representative attending an Anglican service, even if it is for QEII. Lots of foreign royals attended a Lutheran service to celebrate Margrethe's recent jubilee, so why is it that only subjects of QEII are considered appropriate to attend?

On top of that, given Mary has much, much more British blood in her veins than any other member of a European RF, and spent most of her life as a subject of QEII, surely it would have been much more appropriate for her to attend this event?

One thing's for certain - if ever the Queen felt bad about only sending Edward and Sophie to an event in Denmark, this will have set her mind at rest.

I know you did't say they were, but since you brought up the topic, I don't understand why either should be accused of being social climbers. The fact is that both Mary and Catherine's parents are in a unique position of being parents of the future Queen Consorts to future Kings and grandparents to the future Kings or Queens (we'll see when Kate & William have their first child) to the thrones of Denmark and the United Kingdom. The only other people that share that position is the current Monarchs and their consorts. It doesn't matter how high in the social circles of society anyone is placed in either country....the reality is no one else can make that same claim.

The parents may come from humble beginings but they have made something of their lives by their own accomplishments which I admire far more than those born to wealth and titles. In their current position, they are at the very pinacle of society now that their daughters are future Queens and their blood legitimately mingles with that of present and future generations of Royalty. I find it laughable that anyone would consider their being part of any Royal event as "social climbing" when they cleary have every right to be included if that is what their daughters and in-laws want.

Obviously, I can't know for sure ... and maybe this isn't the point ... but I can't imagine Prince Charles giving a single thought to Prof. Donaldson's being Presbyterian ... or anything else for that matter. Perhaps the extended family connection is more meaningful: the Donaldsons not being blood relatives or royals, but people whose daughter married into a royal family; the ties to Scotland and Australia, extending into the Commonwealth in such an important year.

Perhaps the Donaldsons were at the private dinner hosted by Fred and Mary and perhaps they were invited by Charles to attend the Church service with them. It could be as simple as that.

Having seen photo's of Charles and Camilla greeting the Donaldson's (and looking quite happy to do so I'll add), it would appear that the Donaldson's were presented to the royal couple just before the planting of the tree. Thus, they did not appear to be part of the official entourage, rather, they attended just like many others and also played a minor role in continuing to place soil after the Prince and Duchess had performed their ceremonial duty.

It's also not uncommon for the Presbyterian church to have entered into union with the Anglican church so their presence is in my view, perfectly reasonable.

She's Australian not British, born in Tasmania and raised there. John Donaldson is Scottish, so has greater ties to the crown and country than Mary.

When Mary was born, her parents were not yet Australian citizens, but still held British passports. So according to the rules in Australia and Britain, she held both nationalities. That made it easier for her to live and travel in the EU before her marriage: she simply used the British passport and travelled as "EU-citizen" from France to Copenhagen, without having to go through immigration and without the need for visa. When she became a Danish citizen, she renounced both citizenships. And I believe she felt both Australian and Scottish at her wedding, with her father wearing a kilt and the sending of her bridal bouquet to Scotland. Plus she invited her Scottish relatives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not odd at all,they were not there in any official capacity,they live around there and came and watch.So simple...on the continent...

Plus he is official a Knight Grand Cross of the order of the Dannebrog, which is the highest class available for people not Royal and closely related to the DRF. So probably he is the highest decorated subject of HM in Denmark, apart from maybe the British ambassador, if he, too holds this rank in the order. If such a Knight is not presented to his future king, who else should have the honour?

Looking forward to the pics from the gala dinner tonight.

Looking forward to the pics from the gala dinner tonight.

Which you can watch live from 19.05 on DR1.

The programme is called Aftenshowet. It will feature today's events and also cover at least the guests arriving for the dinner. That should include C&C, M&F and Joachim and our Marie arriving for the dinner.
The dress code is black tie and evening dresses. With most likely a little tiara or two ;)

Camelot, It's omnious to learn that you consider the security threat to W&K to be greater than the threat against Charles and Camilla. Especially against Kate. - Is it the nutcases you fear?

You are welcome, Tundra. :)
Yes, they do. They fire the cannons with barely concealed smiles on their faces.
Big old bronze muzzleloaders. That's every artilleryman's dream. :cool:

Video from the first event today which was
Accompanied by The Crown Prince couple, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit The Citadel, where The Prince and The Crown Prince will lay a wreath at the national memorial. Their Royal Highnesses view the Eternal Flame and the Memorial Wall.

Subsequently, Their Royal Highnesses join a reception for Danish soldiers who have served in Afghanistan and their families.
Prins Charles og Hertuginde Camilla - Kongeligt besøg på Kastellet

Perfection! We've not seen Mary wear this ensemble since the Brazilian State Visit to Denmark. Certainly features in my top five for her day time ceremonial wear. She looks gorgeous.

Camilla looks lovely in purple. They contrast quite well side by side.

Last edited:
Perfection!

Camilla looks lovely in purple. They contrast quite well side by side.

Indeed perfection re Mary today, Mary looks quite slim and lean in that outfit.
Camilla, finally in a nice color but too much fringe going on for me.
I know the dinner was private but would've been nice to get a picture or two. Cant wait for tonights dinner.

Thank you iceflower for the picture galleries.

Indeed perfection re Mary today, Mary looks quite slim and lean in that outfit.
Camilla, finally in a nice color but too much fringe going on for me.
I know the dinner was private but would've been nice to get a picture or two. Cant wait for tonights dinner.

Thank you iceflower for the picture galleries.

It would have been nice to have seen a photo or two. Especially from inside the Palace. But that's just me being nosey and wanting to see what they wore and how the furnishing has come along ;)

Is anyone from the DRF going with C&C to Kronborg? LOL

Maybe Mary could spare one of her sisters this time?

Charles and Camilla are, of course, much too polite and classy to be anything other than pleasant to Mary's parents. If they weren't there on an official basis, were any other random members of the congregation invited to take part in the planting ceremony?

Camilla looks great in her purple. Mary's coat is nice but the nude shoes and gloves are just awful. It kind of looks like she's wearing tights on her hands.

Maybe Mary could spare one of her sisters this time?

Charles and Camilla are, of course, much too polite and classy to be anything other than pleasant to Mary's parents. If they weren't there on an official basis, were any other random members of the congregation invited to take part in the planting ceremony?

Camilla looks great in her purple. Mary's coat is nice but the nude shoes and gloves are just awful. It kind of looks like she's wearing tights on her hands.

With due respect EIIR, I honestly do not think the visit to St Alban's Church was in fact part of the official programme that required the presence of any Danish royals. As Anglicans, the PoW and Duchess of Cornwall went to church on Sunday as part of religious mass just like Queen Elizabeth DID when she was on her Australian tour. She in fact visited an anglican church in Canberra because it was also a Sunday and went back 'home' afterwards. It should be noted that our Prime Minister, Julia Gillard did not even attend at all.

That being said, your comment about Mary sparing one of her sisters is snarky and uncalled for. Its an unfair comment that gives the feeling that you are deliberately trying to push people's buttons (I assume your intentions are not too). And I'm all for criticism about any Royal family, and members within but every positive comment you say about Mary is always undercut by something quite negative. As I have been a regular visitor of this forum, I've noticed that you are always aiming it Mary when such criticism is not due. If deserved, fine but to have a go about her gloves looking like tights on her hands it's just not necessary.

Please take my comments as not being hateful or bashing you but just my honest opinion.

Last edited:
Crown Princess Mary, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Prince of Wales and Crown Prince Frederik visited Kastellet Citadel in Copenhagen.

PPE Agency

Normally in Denmark black tie still dictates the wearing of a tiara, and I hope this is the case for tonight's dinner. However, I'll not be surprised if they do not wear a tiara as a tiara was not worn to the Norwegian welcoming dinner last week which was also black tie.

It would be a nice way to wrap up the tour though. A little inherited sparkle is good for the soul ;)

Back
Top Bottom