The Prince of Wales & The Duchess of Cornwall visit Denmark: March 24-27, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Official Program:

Monday 26 March:

* Elsinore
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall arrive at Elsinore, and proceed on foot for at short guided tour of the Old Town which will end at St Mary’s Church.​

Afterwards The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit Kronborg Castle to view a Hamlet workshop facilitated by HamletScenen and the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Link to the homepage of the church, where D. Buxtehude was organplayer and Prince Charles has therefore asked for an organconcert played by the organ player at the church.

In Billed Bladet #08, 2012

We are informed that the Regent Couple will be the hosts for Prince Charles and Countess Camilla. (*) And as such they will live at Amalienborg.
The Regent Couple will accompany the guests around but the CP couple has also announced that they wish to participate in parts of the schedule.
QMII will also host a grand dinner, when is unknown.

It's clear that a number of details regarding the schedule are not in place yet.
The PoW has been to DK before but it's the first visit by Countess Camilla. And this visit has something to do with QEII's jubilee. - Whatever that may be.

(*) Interesting but I guess they know each other pretty well and are similar age wise. And who else to bend the protocol than the Monarch herself?

It's interesting to hear that in the TV-report of their arrival Camilla is constantly named "Lady Camilla" and BB obviously calls her "Countess Camilla". Of course she has these titles as Countess of Chester and of Carrick as well as Lady of The Isles but why do they use them instead of saying Duchess or even Princess?

Posts about possible baby plans in the British royal family have been removed as off-topic! Thanks for your understanding!

I know that they will want to visit princess Marie and her baby girl as well as crown princess Mary and her twins.

As this is a official visit, for the Jubilee, I don't see why they would want to see the children. You can't know that.

;)
It's interesting to hear that in the TV-report of their arrival Camilla is constantly named "Lady Camilla" and BB obviously calls her "Countess Camilla". Of course she has these titles as Countess of Chester and of Carrick as well as Lady of The Isles but why do they use them instead of saying Duchess or even Princess?

Bear with these people! Checking the correct titles seems to be too much of an effort for them! ;)
I'm afraid that the arrival of TRH has been eclipsed by the sad news of a stag party stunt going horribly wrong! The groom was going up in a small aircraft with an instructor; it crashed a couple of minutes after take off!
Both were airlifted to a regional hospital, but the groom did not make it!
How awful for his fiancé! - As for C & C there's still a full schedule for the next few days!

Last edited:
As this is a official visit, for the Jubilee, I don't see why they would want to see the children. You can't know that.

Charles and Camilla did visit little Estelle though, so they might want to see the Danish kids as well, including the little Princess. :)

Immediately after the arrival the Prince of Wales had a meeting with Danish environment minister Mrs. Ida Auken.
The PoW specifically requested this meeting, which was about the future outlook for the world environment and the 'green trinity' of energy, water and food security. As an environmental front runner Denmark has now been invited to join the the PoWs Environmental working Group.
Ms. Auken comes from a family of left wing politicians focusing on the environment. She is known for not being easily impressed by royalty and royalty related events, but she appeared to be genuinely charmed by Charles because of his passion for and involvement in the cause!

viv

Last edited:
It was so sweet how Charles kissed Mary's hand.

Charles kissed the hand of all the queens and crown princesses he's met so far. He kisses his mother's hand also when he greets her.

Charles greets royal women the way he was taught by his father - if you ever see Philip greet a royal woman he does the same thing. It is probably the way all the British royal men of Charles' generation and older have done it.

So debonair, whether it's done by a royal gentleman or not. He was taught well.

Last edited:
Thanks Artemisia for the links.

I have been away, nice to be back with Charles & Camilla arriving in Denmark to meet with the Danish Royals. Lovely that it was Mary & Frederik that meet C&C with such a warm welcome , it was as though they have known each other for years.
According to BB after arriving Prince Charles went for a walk around the area of the palace.
As to seeing the children, Charles and Camilla were having a private dinner with Mary & Frederik so I guess they will get to see their beautiful children.
BTW I think Mary looks lovely, the red really suits her.

Charles kissed the hand of all the queens and crown princesses he's met so far. He kisses his mother's hand also when he greets her.

Well, that's what make him such a gentleman.
I think that is a very charming and gallant way to greet a woman.

Mary seemed rather stuck up to me = as if she was better than Charles and especially Camilla. She even turns her back on Camilla at one point and she looks totally out of her depth = as if she doesn't know how to behave.

I thought it was a really warm welcome,the ladies I don't think have meet before, chatted all the time and they will have a lot to talk about, both love horses dogs and children.
The only time I saw Camilla behind Mary was when they got to the car, Camilla went behind Mary as I think she was going to go to the other car.

I think Camilla and Mary will enjoy each others company.

What a warm greeting extended by all.

Charles, though not an outwardly attrative man per say, would be likely to make any woman's stomach flutter. He knows how to impress. Very gentleman like.

She even turns her back on Camilla at one point

Heaven forbid, that for a brief moment or so, the Crown Princess should have turned her back on the Duchess.

Last edited:
Mary seemed rather stuck up to me = as if she was better than Charles and especially Camilla. She even turns her back on Camilla at one point and she looks totally out of her depth = as if she doesn't know how to behave.

While I admire your bravery in giving your opinion, Iluvbertie, this is the kind of comment about Mary that's likely to have people accusing you of all sorts of things on this forum. Several of us have come to the conclusion that it's just not worth the hassle.

When Charles and Camilla landed in Norway Mette-Marit and Haakon were very diligent in personally introducing them to all the people waiting to greet them. Frederik and Mary didn't do that so it all came across as quite awkward.

It was indeed a very friendly encounter - more so than I had expected given the age gap and the fact that they only met once or twice or so.

The DRF in general (and also the Swedish RF, not always the Norwegian - sorry, Mette-Marit) has this talent to appear formal and relaxed at the same time. And in contact with the Scandinavian royals Charles&Camilla also seem more relaxed to me than usual - but I must admit I don't really follow the British RF, so perhaps I'm wrong.

The only time when I saw Mary - and Frederik - turn their backs to their guests was when they greeted the British entourage while Charles&Camilla greeted the Danish entourage.

Last edited:
While I admire your bravery in giving your opinion, Iluvbertie, this is the kind of comment about Mary that's likely to have people accusing you of all sorts of things on this forum. Several of us have come to the conclusion that it's just not worth the hassle.

Have you considered creating a thread called 'member martyrdom'? You appear to be on a roll of late..

When Charles and Camilla landed in Norway Mette-Marit and Haakon were very diligent in personally introducing them to all the people waiting to greet them. Frederik and Mary didn't do that so it all came across as quite awkward.

That said, and although I thought the welcoming very warm and friendly, there was a negligent lack of direction, I suppose one could say if splitting hairs is 'necessary'. Nothing to write home about nonetheless.

The only time when I saw Mary - and Frederik - turn their backs to their guests

Mary was at a time, a foot or two infront of Camilla with her back briefly turned. As can be seen, however, the Crown Princess was gesturing direction for the Duchess whereupon Camilla and Mary then walked alongside one another.

As one would expect, a perfectly curteous response when having welcomed guests.

Last edited:
:previous:

Dazzling, great photos. Thanks for posting.

Do we know which palace Charles and Camilla are staying in at Amalienborg?

They are staying as guests of the Queen so I assume that either means with HM in her very own household (Christian IX's Palace) or at the more ceremonial Christian VII's Palace.

Last edited:
Thanks Madam Royale.

I have been trying to find out if there is an undergroung walkway between each of the palaces. As Charles and Camilla were dining with Frederik & Mary and there has been no report of them leaving or crossing the square, I assume there must be an underground passage.
Can someone please tell me if there is such a walkway? Thanks

It was indeed a very friendly encounter - more so than I had expected given the age gap and the fact that they only met once or twice or so.

The DRF in general (and also the Swedish RF, not always the Norwegian - sorry, Mette-Marit) has this talent to appear formal and relaxed at the same time. And in contact with the Scandinavian royals Charles&Camilla also seem more relaxed to me than usual - but I must admit I don't really follow the British RF, so perhaps I'm wrong.

The only time when I saw Mary - and Frederik - turn their backs to their guests was when they greeted the British entourage while Charles&Camilla greeted the Danish entourage.

When they are walking along, Frederick and Charles are in front while Mary and Camilla are behind. Frederick and Charles are talking but Mary is looking away from Camilla - not gesturing to anyone simply turning her back on Camilla. Camilla says something and Mary turns back to Camilla = clearly Mary was being rude = she was looking at things other then her guest which is what a good hostess, with even basic good manners should do - probably looking for the cameras so she could be photographed. She clearly has her back to Camilla and isn't gesturing or anything else like that.

I have just viewed the video again, and my take is that Mary was standing next to Camilla and turned her head not her back for a second to see if the cars were coming.

Should Mary have her eyes on Camilla face for every second? If so then I guess she did do the wrong thing.

Charles and Camilla did visit little Estelle though, so they might want to see the Danish kids as well, including the little Princess. :)

They are as closely related to the Danish Royals as they are to the Swedish: both through Margaret of Connaught, who was grandmother of both king Carl XVI. Gustaf and Queen Margarethe. So surely they are interested in their little Danish relatives as much as they are in Estelle Bernadotte. :flowers:

I saw it differently on the video clip: Fred took Charles and Camilla to meet the Danish delegation while Mary stayed behind to greet the British entourage, she received a nice curtsey from the lady who disembarked last. Then Mary came forward again to Fred and the British guests. I thought it was very nicely and politely done. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I looked at the video again and I don't see it, perhaps you can direct me to the right point, Iluvbertie?

I didn't see any rude manner, just a warm greeting from both sides.
At one point when they were walking Mary looked to the side as did Camilla, see this pic: Kindkys til Charles og Mary | www.bt.dk, pic 10. (But in this pic Mary is next to Camilla, not in front of her or turning her back to her).Obviously there was something to see. Whether it was a camera I don't know.
But the one person who definitely was looking for cameras and then waved to the media people (while turning his face away from his host) was Prince Charles in the car.

Besides, if you look at the Norwegian welcome again - with the same critical eyes - you will find that at one point Mette-Marit walks in front of Camilla, turning her back towards her. And Charles started greeting the Norwegian entourage while Haakon was still greeting Camilla, so Haakon practically had to jump at his side. And where was that handkiss for Mette-Marit who even curtseyed for Charles? No gentleman there.

I guess if you want to you can always find something negative to say.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom