The Future of the Danish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't really kept track of Frederik's educational pursuits, save for the ones mentioned in interviews and documentaries. During meetings with the press, Frederik seems to have quite a bit of self-confidence, without a self-absorbed air about him; he seems very down-to-earth. Also, I know that he was not educated in the palace as his predecessors had been - he was educated at public schools, like any other Danish citizen, which (and this is just my opinion) made him more in-touch with the average person, as opposed to constantly being surrounded by other royals, servants or valets. Being more in touch with the people I imagine would make him better-suited to be King.

This, almost spooky parody, shows how she was when she turned 60.
Ignore what is being said, look at her (his) bodylanguage and nervous bahavior. It's spot on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2AdUygjUwY

:ROFLMAO: Oh my. Just add QMII's head and it's the real thing! What was this? A comedy show in Denmark?

From the perspective of one who pays attention to such things, the CP appears authentic. In the presser after the twins' birth, he was entirely genuine, warm, intelligent, and witty. He has chosen a wife who reflects extremely well on him and on Denmark. By outward appearances, they seem to have embraced the value of family-orientation and a togetherness in terms of family values. Again, by outward appearances, he seems a reasonably hands-on father.

If it took him a bit longer to grow up, so to speak, so what? He has a tough "row to hoe" and perhaps he would rather be in the shoes of Carl Phillip or Joachim. But he isn't. He has made some good choices that suggest he has come to terms with what his life will/must be. I for one give him credit for the educational/military choices he has made as well as the critical life choices I have mentioned and will trust that he will continue to make sound choices as he grows nearer to his destiny, and eventually assumes it. My prayers are with Frederik and Mary, and I hope others will join in a silent encouragement of prayer and good will toward them. They will need it...

:flowers: Great post.

I think marriage has settled him down immensely but fatherhood has probably changed his perspective on life, family and country. He really does look like he is enjoying family life.

:ROFLMAO: Oh my. Just add QMII's head and it's the real thing! What was this? A comedy show in Denmark?

It's a satire-bit - maybe from an old satire show. Ulf Piilgaard, the actor parodying the queen in the bit - it's one of his specialties.

The idea is that the queen is answering the most stupid questions from the press - despite having said, that they've had "50 years to prepare their questions". Questions such as "what will the weather be like on the day" and "doesn't the queen have any regrets" (- a question the "queen" - under her breath - predicts will come) are the only kinds of questions asked.

I have to make it absolutely clear, that this satire bit from Muhler is not showing QMII as she is.:whistling:

QMII is not jumping up and down in her chair. QMII is just as the documentary, about the royal houses in Europe, shows. If anyone has seen this tv-serie.

She is talking a very old danish but with lots of style even though she sound like 80 years ago.:lol:

The very essence of satire is to show some traits about a person in an exaggerated way.
This satire is spot on! The actor, Ulf Pilgaard, did a good job :)

The very essence of satire is to show some traits about a person in an exaggerated way.
This satire is spot on! The actor, Ulf Pilgaard, did a good job :)
I second that, UserDane and will add that I´ve heard QMII applauding Ulf Pilgaard for his satire and has said herself that it is spot on.

This, almost spooky parody, shows how she was when she turned 60.
Ignore what is being said, look at her (his) bodylanguage and nervous bahavior. It's spot on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2AdUygjUwY

Muhler, thanks for posting this video :flowers::flowers:!

I agree, this spoof is spot on regarding the younger Queen Margrethe. IMO her public speaking abilities have become less hectic and nervous
over the years!
CP Frederik did not get his insecure public speaking manners from strangers! Many Danes tend to forget that his mother was just as insecure,
it just came out differently! HM always tried to hide her insecurity by using plenty of metaphors, circumlocutions, reservations, old fashioned
words, double negations, the more so if she smells a controversial or politically charged subject.

Try reading a verbatim interview with her; it really takes some decoding and processing to figure out what she's trying to say!

The body language has become less nervous - thank heavens - but I
have to say that the actors spoof is priceless!

And now back on track: IMO CP Frederik will become an excellent monarch when his time comes! He will be able to connect to the people to
a greater extend that HM ever did. I'm also convinced that his public speaking ability will keep improving; it's evident that he's working on it!

Viv

Last edited:
CP Frederik did not get his insecure public speaking manners from strangers! Many Danes tend to forget that his just was just as insecure, it just manifested itself differently! HM always tried to hide her insecurity by using plenty of metaphors, circumlocutions, reservations, old fashioned words, double negations, the more so if she smells a controversial or politically charged subject.

Try reading a verbatim interview with her; it really takes som decoding and processing to figure out what she's trying to say!

You are absolutely right! It is an inherited trait in Frederik, it just manifests itself differently.

And now back on track: IMO CP Frederik will become an excellent monarch when his time comes! He will be able to connect to the people to a greater extend that HM ever did. I'm also convinced that his public speaking ability will keep improving; it's evident that he's working on it!
Viv
yes I agree.

The difference in the queen's and Frederik's ability and wish to interact personally with people under various circumstances was evident at the church ceremony in 2005 for the Danes killed at the tsunami; when the royal family left the church, the queen seemed a bit hesitant next to the rows with relatives to the dead and then opted for nodding to them. Frederik and Mary looked as if they would have liked to greet them all personally, but they had to follow the monarch's clue of course.
Margrethe has never seemed totally at ease in these situations, whereas Frederik would undoubtedly have walked straight to the relatives and given them a handshake.

The difference in the queen's and Frederik's ability and wish to interact personally with people under various circumstances was evident at the church ceremony in 2005 for the Danes killed at the tsunami; when the royal family left the church, the queen seemed a bit hesitant next to the rows with relatives to the dead and then opted for nodding to them. Frederik and Mary looked as if they would have liked to greet them all personally, but they had to follow the monarch's clue of course.

Userdane, I remember that particular moment too well; I yelled at the TV " Move your butt, Queen! Shake their hands, offer your condolences!" .

Margrethe has never seemed totally at ease in these situations, whereas Frederik would undoubtedly have walked straight to the relatives and given them a handshake.

Absolutely! I'm not sure whether he'd go as far as a hug, but I don't think that he'll shrink should it happen. Actually come to think of it, he did accept a hug on some occasion, didn't he?

Viv

Last edited:
Well I think we are experiencing af generation gap.:flowers:

I have not experienced QMII being nervous. You must be talking about QMII at the age of 18 or something.:lol:

Actually come to think of it, he did accept a hug on some occasion, didn't he?

Viv
Yes, I believe he has on several occasions; I think in recent years in connection with a bicycle race where a spectator was so thrilled to see him that Frederik got a big hug. He just grinned and hugged back.:)

Well I think we are experiencing af generation gap.:flowers:
I have not experienced QMII being nervous. You must be talking about QMII at the age of 18 or something.:lol:

That's possible :) ! If you are, say, under 30 you may not have noticed HM's nervousness when it was at its worst! But she centainly was until her ripe middle age! At interviews she was wriggling in her seat, looking at her watch or some 'vanishing point' in the distance, fiddling with her hands or jewellery, you name it! Though exaggerated, Ulf Pilgaard's sketch proves the point! He'd never have made it unless HM's gestures would ring a bell in an audience!

Another thing: We -meaning you, I and people in general - don't necessarily perceive people or situations in the same way! For instance HM's nervousness - when it was at its worst - would have been perceived as discomfort and nervousness by some while others would see it as a 'charming shyness'. Much is in the eye of the beholder!

Viv

Last edited:
Muhler, thanks for posting this video :flowers::flowers:!

I agree, this spoof is spot on regarding the younger Queen Margrethe. IMO her public speaking abilities have become less hectic and nervous
over the years!
CP Frederik did not get his insecure public speaking manners from strangers! Many Danes tend to forget that his mother was just as insecure,
it just came out differently! HM always tried to hide her insecurity by using plenty of metaphors, circumlocutions, reservations, old fashioned
words, double negations, the more so if she smells a controversial or politically charged subject.

Try reading a verbatim interview with her; it really takes some decoding and processing to figure out what she's trying to say!

The body language has become less nervous - thank heavens - but I
have to say that the actors spoof is priceless!

And now back on track: IMO CP Frederik will become an excellent monarch when his time comes! He will be able to connect to the people to
a greater extend that HM ever did. I'm also convinced that his public speaking ability will keep improving; it's evident that he's working on it!

Viv
IMO she has not lost all of those body language traits, though it is obvious that this actor is exaggerating. I noticed a much subtler version when watching HM interviewed for the program "A Royal Family."

At the end of my very long day at the medical facility where I work I chatted with a Danish surgeon and congratulated him on the birth of the new princes, and he said to me spontaneously w/o me mentioning a thing, (he might find me a lunatic being so royal mad:whistling:)about how he spoke to his mother (who lives in Denmark and is also in the medical field) and she mentioned how articulate Mary is and how Frederick is such a bumbler when it comes to public speeches. IMHO this is the face of the upper middle class in Denmark, and that' s how they see the Crown prince as in "Thank god for his wife, phew she saves the day"

Spot on, and hilarious. :lol: I wish I spoke Danish so I could understand it! I remember there was a comedian who was known for his imitation of Margrethe (it might have been this one), and Queen Ingrid once attended one of his shows. His staff informed him that the Queen Mother was in the audience, and thus he ought to skip the segment where he made fun of the Queen. At intermission, Ingrid sent a message backstage asking, "You're not thinking of leaving out the part about my daughter, are you? I've been wanting to see that!" :D

Spot on, and hilarious. :lol: I wish I spoke Danish so I could understand it! I remember there was a comedian who was known for his imitation of Margrethe (it might have been this one), and Queen Ingrid once attended one of his shows. His staff informed him that the Queen Mother was in the audience, and thus he ought to skip the segment where he made fun of the Queen. At intermission, Ingrid sent a message backstage asking, "You're not thinking of leaving out the part about my daughter, are you? I've been wanting to see that!" :D

That's Preben Christensen, the spouse of Mary's hairdresser, Søren Hedegaard.
While Ulf Pilgaard is eminent in looking like QMII, Preben Christensen mimicks her voice very well.

Make a search at YouTube. Use the words: linie 3 dronningen. - and you'll find several videos.

In one of his Queen Margrethe imitations, Preben Kristensen had this line (which is probably better in Danish than in English) - spoken with a rather affected accent ....

'Our visit to Egypt where we rode and smoked Camels.... '

At the end of my very long day at the medical facility where I work I chatted with a Danish surgeon and congratulated him on the birth of the new princes, and he said to me spontaneously w/o me mentioning a thing, (he might find me a lunatic being so royal mad:whistling:)about how he spoke to his mother (who lives in Denmark and is also in the medical field) and she mentioned how articulate Mary is and how Frederick is such a bumbler when it comes to public speeches. IMHO this is the face of the upper middle class in Denmark, and that' s how they see the Crown prince as in "Thank god for his wife, phew she saves the day"

That is unfortunately a perception I also encounter pretty often. Not least by those who don't follow the DRF that closely. And many are not against the monarchy, on the contrary.

And it's a pity!
That's why I so much hope Frederik will address the issue. Because this is a weak point of his and he will get some heat for it in the future.
If he stuttered or had a lisp, people would accept that. But a poor performance in front of the media is not so readily accepted, and no matter how endearing and likable he is, it's annoying.
That's why I (and many with me, I can safely say) hope he will get some intensive training.
Do some of you remember the interview Jes Dorph Pedersen made with Frederik in connection with his 40th birthday? Jes Dorph Pedersen is probably among the most pro-DRF TV-journalists in DK, and still Frederik had problems expressing himself. - It was only when he talked about Mary and his children, he really got his message across.
At the press conference after he was elected to become a member of the IOC, he was roasted by the press. And he had been prepared for months for that.

When M&F were in New York some years ago, it was Mary who took over at the press conference, and she did well, despite not having nearly as much experience as now.

I hope someone will have, pardon me, the b...s to go up to Frederik and say: "You have a problem and you must deal with it"!

Excellently stated Muhler!
I may not be Danish, but I do adore CP Frederik and I will like to see him not only become King, but a King which all Danes can be proud of.

I hope it isn't a situation where the royal house is hoping that CP Frederik eventually "grows out" of his communication problems like Queen Margrethe did. With the media driven world that he will reign in, that would be a huge mistake!

By the way Muhler, what do we know about his new chief of court Christian Schønau outside of his biographical information? Is he the kind of person who isn't afraid to tell CP Frederik "Your Highness, you need media training!" IMO, the CP Couple need staff around them, who not only respect them, but also are not afraid to give them a kick in the a..s if necessary!

Last edited:
Muhler, If I may ask, what is Fredrik's problem exactly? After reading almost 3 pages, all I gather is that he's not as articulate as Mary. So the question for me is: Is he not articulate because he's not smart or he's uncomfortable discussing certain subjects? You seems to think he does fine as far as discussing his family, and since he does not stutter or have a lisp, so is his intelligence in question? Academics are often long-winded, but you seem to reject that argument, but I can't tell for myself because I don't speak the language. What is at the root of his "problem"?

Last edited:
He seems to be ready to go sailing and have fun other than that...I don't think he is mature enough yet.

Muhler, If I may ask, what is Fredrik's problem exactly? After reading almost 3 pages, all I gather is that he's not as articulate as Mary. So the question for me is: Is he not articulate because he's not smart or he's uncomfortable discussing certain subjects? You seems to think he does fine as far as discussing his family, and since he does not stutter or has a lisp, so is his intelligence in question? Academics are often long-winded, but you seem to reject that argument, but I can't tell for myself because I don't speak the language. What is at the root of his "problem"?
From what I understand (and Muhler, please correct me if I'm wrong). It isn't that CP Frederik is not intelligent. He has a problem being able to communicate his thoughts coherently so that they make sense.

Muhler and others will explain further...:flowers:

From what I understand (and Muhler, please correct me if I'm wrong). It isn't that CP Frederik is not intelligent. He has a problem being able to communicate his thoughts coherently so that they make sense.
With his level of education, why is it that he can't express himself coherently, and if it's not his intelligence then what is it? Even if he's not a skillful public speaker, he should at least make sense. There is a disconnect, and I don't understand what's hindering him.

Muhler, If I may ask, what is Fredrik's problem exactly? After reading almost 3 pages, all I gather is that he's not as articulate as Mary. So the question for me is: Is he not articulate because he's not smart or he's uncomfortable discussing certain subjects? You seems to think he does fine as far as discussing his family, and since he does not stutter or have a lisp, so is his intelligence in question? Academics are often long-winded, but you seem to reject that argument, but I can't tell for myself because I don't speak the language. What is at the root of his "problem"?

There is nothing wrong with Frederik's intelligence or his general education.
He has in my opinion a problem translating his thoughts into a language that makes sense for everybody else.
It's a classic: I know what I mean, when I say something. But that may not be obvious to everybody else.
I think he knows exactly what he means and also what he wants to say, he just can't figure out how to say it, how to get it across. So he ends up using strange metaphores, not finishing his sentences and mumbling.
It's in many ways like watching someone who stutters or has a brain damage, they struggle with getting their message across.
But once he is in calm surroundings, is relaxed and have time to phrase his words into coherent sentences, then things go much better.
It's when people are looking at him, things go really bad.

That's why Gator's suggestion that he has a sort of impediment makes more and more sense to me.

If one of my children spoke like he did, I would seriously consider getting experts to have a look at them.

By the way Muhler, what do we know about his new chief of court Christian Schønau outside of his biographical information? Is he the kind of person who isn't afraid to tell CP Frederik "Your Highness, you need media training!" IMO, the CP Couple need staff around them, who not only respect them, but also are not afraid to give them a kick in the a..s if necessary!
I don't know much. Except that he is a brilliant civil servant, who most likely will end up heading a ministerial department. - He is still new and he may also think of his future career so will he have the guts to stand up to Frederik?

Last edited:
With his level of education, why is it that he can't express himself coherently, and if it's not his intelligence then what is it? Even if he's not a skillful public speaker, he should at least make sense. There is a disconnect, and I don't understand what's hindering him.
I don't speak Danish...so I will let the Danish posters explain to you!:flowers:

There is nothing wrong with Frederik's intelligence or his general education.

He has in my opinion a problem translating his thoughts into a language that makes sense for everybody else.
It's a classic: I know what I mean, when I say something. But that may not be obvious to everybody else.
I think he knows exactly what he means and also what he wants to say, he just can't figure out how to say it, how to get it across. So he ends up using strange metaphores, not finishing his sentences and mumbling.
It's in many ways like watching someone who stutters or has a brain damage, they struggle with getting their message across.
But once he is in calm surroundings, is relaxed and have time to phrase his words into coherent sentences, then things go much better.
It's when people are looking at him, things go really bad.

That's why Gator's suggestion that he has a sort of impediment makes more and more sense to me.

If one of my children spoke like he did, I would seriously consider getting experts to have a look at them.
That sounds like fear of public speaking, which I have!!!!

I don't know much. Except that he is a brilliant civil servant, who most likely will end up heading a ministerial department. - He is still new and he may also think of his future career so will he have the guts to stand up to Frederik?
Thanks! I didn't think of that perspective!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say if Frederik was diagnoced with some impediment and that was made public, he would be showered in praises and sympathy and his popularity would go off the scale.

The same thing would happen, albeit on a slightly less scale, if he were to go public and say: "Admittedly, I suck at expressing myself, not least when I'm in the public glare. But I'm working on it".

Or "I tremble inside and I dread press conferences. I would rather wrestle a polar bear. But I work on over coming that".

Self-acknowledgement is admirable but it can be hard to swallow your pride and admit, to yourself first and then everybody else that you have a problem.

Well, soon time to go home. Goodnight.

I'd say if Frederik was diagnoced with some impediment and that was made public, he would be showered in praises and sympathy and his popularity would go off the scale.

The same thing would happen, albeit on a slightly less scale, if he were to go public and say: "Admittedly, I suck at expressing myself, not least when I'm in the public glare. But I'm working on it".

Or "I tremble inside and I dread press conferences. I would rather wrestle a polar bear. But I work on over coming that".

I think the problem is not so much an impediment but rather an intense fear and dislike of public speaking. I don't understand much Danish, but this means when I've watched Frederik speak I've focused almost entirely on how he's saying things, as opposed to what he's saying, and it seems pretty obvious that he finds it excruciating. The problem with a fear like that is the only way to get better is to do what he hates, (speaking), as much as possible, over and over again, realistically expecting only a gradual improvement over months or years. It's not like he does a speech this week, does one next week and then the third one there's going to be noticeable improvement. There would be a significant period of time where things wouldn't change at all and the only way to get to a point of improvement would be to keep at it. That would be a very difficult thing for anyone to go through, especially someone like Frederik, whose position is prominent enough that he knows many people will be listening, (always ready to criticize), when he speaks.

I think lack of intelligence is unlikely, if for no other reason then he's had a number of intelligent people, (including those who have no particular interest in protecting him or the monarchy), comment favourably on dealing with him in this regard. Also he's got some decent educational credentials which, regardless of his royal status, he wouldn't have been able to get if he were of below average intelligence. On the contrary, I think part of Frederik's problem with the speaking issue may be that he's very well able to compensate for that particular weakness with a host of other strengths.

On the contrary, I think part of Frederik's problem with the speaking issue may be that he's very well able to compensate for that particular weakness with a host of other strengths.
That was a very interesting and informative post camelot:flowers:. What struck me most is your last phrase...because I think that this is exactly what's happening.
Isn't it ironic that it would be those compensations which are hindering the resolution of his greatest weakness?
I think Muhler is right, there needs to be someone who can directly tell CP Frederik that his communication skills suck and he needs help!

That was a very interesting and informative post camelot:flowers:. What struck me most is your last phrase...because I think that this is exactly what's happening.
Isn't it ironic that it would be those compensations which are hindering the resolution of his greatest weakness?

Thank you for your kind words, terri terri! I don't know much about the details of what kind of work would go into helping someone like Frederik, but I do have a school friend whose job requires him to do a significant amount of public speaking and who is also not naturally good at it. He worked with a coach for quite a long time, and I remember the work being quite intense and lengthy from the way he spoke of it, and he really has improved. But I also remember him saying it was horrible while he was going through it, in that this coach basically had him speaking at every possible opportunity and it took awhile to see results.
Frederik doesn't seem the sort to surround himself with yes-men and he's mentioned that Mary is a perfectionist and doesn't hesitate to criticize him if she feels it's needed. But I think in addition to that, if he really wants to get better, he needs a relationship with someone like my friend's 'coach' who will give him practical tips on how to get better and will also make sure he practices as much as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Muhler, Terri, and Camelot for your responses. Fear of public speaking makes perfect sense, and I agree with some coaching and a lot of practice he should be able to overcome this.

Back
Top Bottom