The Future of the Danish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to see Victoria and her cousin Haakon on the thrones years ago. Both crown princes and their respective spouses are more than prepared to assume those duties. There is nothing wrong with a Royal Retirement and hopefully, QMII gets to place the Crown on her son Frederick in grand style, too.

There's nothing wrong with retirement. There's certainly something wrong with wanting to force someone into retirement against their will.

(..) But due to her baroque sense of duty she soldiers on. You just have to watch her walk, her body body has become curved and lopsided from her back. Anytime she is not moving or sitting her face looks like she is in pain. Back surgery is a big deal with a long recovery time.... especially for someone her age. Any major surgery is risky at that age.

Last edited by a moderator:
(..)A theory of mine is that all that walking and standing at Tatoi is what finally made the Queen aware that she had to do something about her back.
Royal reporters Trine Larsen and Jacob Heinel Jensen talked about the issue in the latest episode of his podcast and according to her it's been obvious for a long time to those that see her regularly how much pain she's been in. She's been constantly leaning against something for support and sitting down whenever possible. Often her staff has a foldable chair with them in case it's needed.
They also brought up the possibility that she has inherited her mother's osteoporosis.
According to Chief surgeon Tim Bendix who was also a guest on the podcast it's not uncommon for people who have already had surgery for spinal stenosis as early as the Queen had (aged 62) to be operated on again around twenty years later.

(..)

The camera was not on QMII all the time at Constantine's funeral. Far from it, actually. So we don't know how much she suffered during the periods of standing. However, she was clearly in a lot of pain during Philip's memorial but she soldiered on out of respect. Not unlike Constantine who, clearly pained and unable to walk without the help of his wife and an aide, insisted on bowing to his brother-in-law Henrik's coffin in 2018.

(..)

Yeah. Surgeon for 82 years old person is not that unusual and it is not necessarility anything serious. Probably Danish court announces if it feels that being necessary.

Once again this thread has been cleaned up. This time from highly speculative posts and replies to them.

"The most important thing is that you grow sincerely with your country and become deeply connected to it. This has always been my ideal. "

She'll never abdicate.

She'll never abdicate.

"The most important thing is that you grow sincerely with your country and become deeply connected to it. This has always been my ideal. "

My only comment: Frederik = Charles, the Sequel. Easy to talk about ideals and legacy when you've had 50 years to make your mark. The heir will not be afforded such a opportunity. Frederik better work fast in whatever time he gets then. Especially if he's in his almost 80s.

My only comment: Frederik = Charles, the Sequel. Easy to talk about ideals and legacy when you've had 50 years to make your mark. The heir will not be afforded such a opportunity. Frederik better work fast in whatever time he gets then. Especially if he's in his almost 80s.

Crown Prince Fredrik is growing with his country and it's people. Being a crown prince is just as an important position as the one he'll eventually take on. In contrast to his mother he'll ascend his throne as a mature man that has already had time to develop a public persona and gain experience from watching his mother on the job and develop a bond with his people and the political establishment. This stands in contrast to the shy, insecure 31-year old his mother was when she became queen. While ambitious and devoted to her job it wasn't from what I understand until her 40th birthday that she really connected with her people and started growing into the motheri of the nation that she later became.
My point is that some monarchs have short reigns and some have long ones. What's important isn't the length of the reign, but what the monarch does with it.

:previous: A monarch also needs time to make their mark. Frederik will obviously have to work fast to make a mark when he "eventually" takes over. If that is in his 70s...how much in his prime (and Mary for that matter) will he be then. He is in his prime now to move the DRF and monarchy forward (as his other continental European monarchs of the same age range are doing).

Why does an heir have to wait until past their own retirement age to ascend? Especially now when live longer. Let's say QMII lives to be 100...that's another what, 17 years? That will make Frederik 71!! I know I'm in the minority here. That is plain to see. And the argument that the heir just takes on more and more duties that the monarch is unable to carry out makes zero sense...then just give the heir the reins! It is like the CEO that does less and less while the rest of the company picks up the slack and does heavier and heavier lifting and the CEO keeps the corner office, title, perks, etc.

Anyway, I stand by my opinion.

Charles the "prequel" used his time as Prince of Wales to develop a persona of his own, make connections and establish his own very substantial legacy, not to mention doing things the monarch would not be allowed to do.

Even Edward VII, who was allowed to do almost nothing and was known for decades as a playboy and womanizer, still managed to become expert in networking, PR, and international relations, all of which he put to good use in a still-memorable nine-year reign.

If Frederik can't utilize his time as Crown Prince equally wisely, why would he suddenly become more efficacious with a crown on his head? If he can't, then it just might be his fault, and not his blind, selfish, unfeeling mother's.

As this is heading straight back to "The Future of the Danish Monarchy", that's all I'll say.

Last edited:
Mads Rundstrøm is president of the association Republik Nu, whose aim is to abolish the royal house and for Denmark to be transformed into a republic.
Therefore, the association issued a press release in which it launched a campaign under the motto “Not my king”.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/2024-01-02-forening-lancerer-kampagne-mod-kronprins-frederik-som-konge

https://www.republiknu.dk/pressemeddelse-i-anledning-af-dronningens-abdikation/

One would imagine they could at least come up with a more original slogan.

The Monarchy is currently very popular in Denmark and I'd imagine that the 'Not my king brigade' have relatively small support?

The Monarchy is currently very popular in Denmark and I'd imagine that the 'Not my king brigade' have relatively small support?

Hardly any support.

He is in the media when the journalists need a different or republican angle to something to do with the DRF.
And of course he can voice his opinion and protest if feel like it.

I do find the "not my king" a bit undemocratic.
Denmark is a democracy. A large majority of the population and among the politicians wish to retain the monarchy and that means Frederik will be the head of state whether people like it or not. So "he is my king".
Just as the PM Mette Frederiksen is the Prime Minister, whether you like or voted for her or not.

Back
Top Bottom