The Future of the Danish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest, I do not like abdications. In Spain, it was necessary to save the monarchy.

I do not know. But I am curious to see Frederik and Mary as Kings.

It is sometimes necessary to abdicate, as happened in Spain.

But the monarchy in Denmark is very popular.

Last edited:
:previous: Well, Frederik and Mary as King and Queen of Denmark inevitably will happen one day – it's just not going to happen through an abdication because QMII has stated several times that that's not something we do here in Denmark.

I have said it several times and will say it again, the only chance that we will get an abdication in the UK, Japan, Denmark and Norway, it must be because of a major scandal involving the monarchs themselves.

:previous:
Once again ... I would not lump Japan with any European royal house. The difference in traditions is deep. If another European monarch retires tomorrow, it will not be surprising at all.

Although the reasons in Spain may have been very different, I can well see an abdicating scenario in Denmark regardless what Margrethe has said about it (no plans to abdicate). Come very bad health and possibly Henrik dead, it would be a logical thing to pass over to Frederik.
Having said that, I read a lot in the press about 'poor Mary' still being CP and having to curtsey to her former peers I think they are very comfortable in the CP position. There is no real responsibility and they fly 'under the radar' on a lot of topics, like work ethics, holiday, spending etc. When Mary and Frederik become Kings, the 'modern times pressure', that hasn't applied to the old monarchs, will come down on M&F and the Kingship might not be as comfortable as being CPs. So I dont assume there is a desire within M&F for Margrethe pass on and put the King's burden on Fred.

I hardly see her as "poor Mary". She has the best of both worlds, as I see it.

Besides she is not the only adult CP. There are still Camilla of Britain, Mette-Marit of Norway, and Stephanie of Luxembourg.

I hardly see her as "poor Mary". She has the best of both worlds, as I see it.

Besides she is not the only adult CP. There are still Camilla of Britain, Mette-Marit of Norway, and Stephanie of Luxembourg.

Yes. And Victoria here in Sweden.

I don't think that either of these women are unhappy with their current positions as Crown Princesses. Camilla is by far the oldest one, but her situation is also a bit different in other ways. Mary, Mette-Marit and Victoria still have young children. I don't think that they are anxiously waiting for longer work hours, longer trips abroad and all the things that comes with being Queen/Queen consort.

Having said that, I read a lot in the press about 'poor Mary' still being CP and having to curtsey to her former peers I think they are very comfortable in the CP position. So I dont assume there is a desire within M&F for Margrethe pass on and put the King's burden on Fred.

Oh please. I don't believe these articles for one minute. Just the trash media trying to stir trouble and nastiness to make money for their business. Mary does not look like a "poor Mary" and seems to love her husband and being a mother to their four children. To curtsey to her former peers is no big deal. It is custom and common courtesy, of which Mary has always shown. You will find jealously in all forms of the media. Most, if women reports, just seem to covet her position in life vs. their own which is why they try to start trouble when none exists. Absolutely silly.

I don't think that either of these women are unhappy with their current positions as Crown Princesses. Camilla is by far the oldest one, but her situation is also a bit different in other ways. Mary, Mette-Marit and Victoria still have young children. I don't think that they are anxiously waiting for longer work hours, longer trips abroad and all the things that comes with being Queen/Queen consort.

Yes...I forgot Victoria. She works so hard as Crown Princess that sometimes I forget that she is not already Queen!;)

Although the reasons in Spain may have been very different, I can well see an abdicating scenario in Denmark regardless what Margrethe has said about it (no plans to abdicate). Come very bad health and possibly Henrik dead, it would be a logical thing to pass over to Frederik.
Having said that, I read a lot in the press about 'poor Mary' still being CP and having to curtsey to her former peers I think they are very comfortable in the CP position. There is no real responsibility and they fly 'under the radar' on a lot of topics, like work ethics, holiday, spending etc. When Mary and Frederik become Kings, the 'modern times pressure', that hasn't applied to the old monarchs, will come down on M&F and the Kingship might not be as comfortable as being CPs. So I dont assume there is a desire within M&F for Margrethe pass on and put the King's burden on Fred.

Agree, I think Mary will survive having to curtsey, after all it's part of the show.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing QMII abdicate. Partly because I think she deserves her retirement and partly because I would like to see M&F used to their fullest while in their prime. At age 40-something is a fine time to take over.
M&F has of course in many ways taken over, so in a sense it's almost a necessity because neither QMII, nor PH's legs and backs are what they used to be.
QMII was in clear pain while visiting China, she is driven around in a golf-car and an adjutant quietly follow her around with a folding chair. We are getting close to the limit of what she can cope with now.

Diplomatically speaking an official visit by the CP-couple is not the same thing as a state-visit by the Monarch, that's another argument for letting M&F taking over.
When we are talking about incoming state-visit M&F now handle almost all of it, except the official speeches.

Bling-bling wise I also think it would be a nice touch if QMII was to let Mary begin to use the crown jewels. Even though they are supposed only to be used by the queen, I can't imagine many complaining if Mary were to borrow them from time to time.

Last but not least: People get older and stay healthy longer nowadays.
M&F can expect to live until they are around 100. That's 50 more years. By which time Christian will be in his 50's before he might become king.
In one or two generations we will have quite a number of CP's who are doing a Prince of Wales. I.e. reaching retirement age before they even have a chance to take over.
So in that respect I think it would be wise to set a precedent here in DK and say at 75 or 80 the monarch will abdicate.
After all the Dutch do it and their monarchy is still alive and well.

Indeed, M&F are hardly alone.
And as for Sweden, I think they can wait another ten years before really taking over.
As it is they only have one child, with CP still unmarried and Madeleine in USA, they don't have an abundace of adult royals in Sweden to share the burden.
Something similar is the case in Norway. It will be another ten years before Mette-Marit and Haakon's children can begin to help.
M&F at least have Joachim, our Marie and Benedikte to help out.

Last edited:
This is probably in the wrong thread, but just a quick question.....if QM2 abdicated, I wonder how this would change the proclamation procedure?

This is probably in the wrong thread, but just a quick question.....if QM2 abdicated, I wonder how this would change the proclamation procedure?
I would imagine the proclamation would remain the same...except everyone would not be in black and mourning the death of the previous sovereign!:)

As for CP Mary having to curtsey to the regent couples of the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain...why would she have a problem? That's royal protocol and CP Mary has never given the impression that she can't follow royal protocol!
As crown princess, people curtsey to her now as a sign of respect...and she in turns curtsey to monarchs to show the same respect.:flowers:

Today, "conservative" blogger Anne Sophia Hermansen lashes out at the Monarchy calling for an optional tax to finance the monarchy.

She's generally being a twat (sorry) throughout the entire article, declaring herself a republican.

Royal "expert" Lars Hovbakke disagrees strongly and compares the suggestion with an optional tax for people who like the public schools, to finance the schools and let people without kids opt out of paying.

I'd go as far as say, I can opt out of taxes entirely, if I refrain from voting (or disagree with the parliament or government).

Nonsense of course.

However, it is all sparked by the announcement from Joachim earlier this week and as I see it, it's perhaps the biggest "crisis" for the monarchy since the divorce - more so as this is regarded as a confrontation with Denmark outside the capital.
It's not fair to put all that responsibility on Joachim, as he is the junior branch and not heir to the throne or anything. However, the Royal family must surely take this serious and make some sort of contingency. Personally I'm not satisfied with "visits" - a more familiar relationship is required. A familiarity that can only be obtained by spending extended periods of time, often, at certain places.

:previous:
I thought being conservative meant being to conserve. :whistling:

Yeah, you'd think so.
I must admit that something is lost in translation. She's "borgerlig", meaning conservative/liberal or "centre-right" and she's usually leaning to the conservative side.
However the liberalists (not to be confused with liberals in the american sense) in Denmark are keen on breaking everything down to cost and money. They have no values other than what can be put a pricetag on - and most of them would sell their dead grandmother for bonemeal, if the law permitted it.

I also thought.

The monarchy in Denmark is very popular. I don't think that's any controversy.

Anne Sofia Hermansen is ultra liberal. She was connected to "liberal alliance", but forfitted due to stress.

In many different aspects she has odd opinions.

However, it is all sparked by the announcement from Joachim earlier this week and as I see it, it's perhaps the biggest "crisis" for the monarchy since the divorce - more so as this is regarded as a confrontation with Denmark outside the capital.
It's not fair to put all that responsibility on Joachim, as he is the junior branch and not heir to the throne or anything. However, the Royal family must surely take this serious and make some sort of contingency. Personally I'm not satisfied with "visits" - a more familiar relationship is required. A familiarity that can only be obtained by spending extended periods of time, often, at certain places.

Doesn't the queen change residences often throughout the year already?
I thought it was tradition for the heir and monarch to live in the Amelienborg palaces? And Frederik and family are living in Fredensborg Palace for a number of months
Both of these things are great imo.
I do wish Joachim had stayed but i think financially it was not an option :flowers:

QMII has been quite vocal about how abdication certainly is not a thing that is done in Denmark. "The tradition in Denmark is that the job as monarch - as Queen in my case - is a job for life". The Australian gossip is nothing but fabrication.

:previous: I took that statement as wishful thinking on the Australian press behalf. ;) I would hope that they realize that Mary will be the consort to the monarch just as Henrik is for Margrethe. If not they're in for a big surprise.:p

:previous: I took that statement as wishful thinking on the Australian press behalf. ;) I would hope that they realize that Mary will be the consort to the monarch just as Henrik is for Margrethe. If not they're in for a big surprise.:p

I don't know, sometimes I don't think they realise the difference between a reigning Queen and a Queen Consort. However as she is 'Our Mary' then yes I think they do wish that she would be the Monarch. This makes me think that if ever we decided to get rid of the Windsors, some sections of the media would be promoting one of Marys younger children to be King/Queen of Australia.

This press report is everything to do with the culture of youth and glamour - absolutely nothing to do with the function of Head of State.

Mary seen as a celebrity queen - that's my take on that media rubbish

"Her Royal Highness is waiting to take over the title as the current reinging monarch Queen Margrethe, 74, prepares to pass on the baton to her graceful daughter-in-law due to ill health."

Umm I thought that when the Queen passes on, the 'baton' would be passed to her heir, her SON THE KING, not to the wife of said King.
I put it in the same bin that I did the one claiming Queen Elizabeth had ordered a perpetually drunk Camilla to rehab! :ROFLMAO:

And you are quite correct when you question their knowledge of the succession . . . they are utterly clueless and arrogant in their ignorance. The next story to come along to support their "cause" will be Q Margrethe arranged for Mary to marry her son so she can reign seeing as how he's a sandwich short of a picnic. (Hot picnic though)

They've just about, sort of, almost accepted, the fact that Queen Elizabeth will not abicate and name William as her heir! They still haven't quite understood that the the succession isn't like 'Britain's Got Talent' , but rather HM is a spoilsport and won't stand down or better yet, fall off her perch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom