The Danish Monarchy: Is it worth it? Nationalism or a National Waste?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you better read up on your Danish royals, then! It is a fact, that Benedikte's REGISTERED address is at Amalienborg palace and not in Berleburg, Germany. May I suggest, you check out "Margrethe" from 2005, where Queen Margrethe herself explains, where Benedikte formally lives?:ermm:

I have NEVER pretended to speak on behalf of ALL Danes - but I am speaking on behalf of a GROWING number opf Danes!
:flowers:

Yes,well,so? HRH Princess Benedikte is still a working member of the Danish RF,so yes,her danish address is at Amalienborg,yes,so what? As you claim you're such a wise crack with so much info from within the Palace,you also should be aware of the fact that HRH still is Regent in case her sister The Queen and her son the Crown Prince are abroad.

<GT edited out a personal jab which adds nothing to the discourse whatsoever.>

Last edited:
I am seriously disappointed with the lack of respect and the lack of intelligent adult behavior that some of you have displayed in this topic.

Again, I want to make something very clear to eveyone here: The discourse is not a question of whether or not you like or dislike a particular member of the DRF on a personal level it is about the system, Monarchy, on a whole not exclusive to the DRF (but since this topic is in this sub-forum, it is.)

Nor is this topic about a particular book, which by the way, has NOTHING to do with the main issue at hand!

Once again the main issue is:
Is the monarchy worth it? Nationalism or is a national waste in this day and age hence the 21st century? What is modernization to a monarchy if they continue with archaic traditions and can the two co-exsist or is it a false reality fueled by nationalism and cultural identity?

I am asking politely, if you cannot discuss this issue like a mature adult please do us all a favor and do not participate in this discourse.
It is really that simple.

Danish Mods

False reality?Nationalism?Exaggerated really.

History.Denmark,the oldest Monarchy in Europe deserves better then 10 pages with no outcome,there must be something really substantial/worthwhile why it is why our dear Denmark still has a Monarchy.It is one of my favorite hang-outs outside where I live,love the country,love wonderfull Copenhagen.Lived for a while at Dronningen Tvaergade,woke up to the music of the band accompanying the guards in the morning for the changing of the guards at Amalienborg around the corner,wonderfull,Rosenborg Slot at the other corner,it was "Monarchal" bliss as far as I'm concerned.As a history addict,I felt I was at the right place,for the time being.Denmark is drenched in history,it's Royal history,and really,try what you like,nothing can whipe that away,it's not another so-called throw away thing.

Monarchy deserves respect,that's all.Respect,re-inventing the wheel doesn't,
knowing what the subject is about does,milking it out re-peating same long overhauled views doesn't.

Last edited:
False reality? Nationalism? Exaggerated really.

Actually, it's not. Unless one is deliberately refraining from answering the questions. Re-read it again, Lucien, and think, think hard and analyze it.

As a history addict...

You're not the only one, Lucien, believe me.;) Now, again, can you give us your sincere perspective with out dancing around the inital questions?

Monarchy deserves respect

Yes, but why? Why do you believe that?

:)

Last edited:
Actually, it's not. Unless one is deliberately refraining from answering the questions. Re-read it again, Lucien, and think, think hard and analyze it.

You're not the only one, Lucien, believe me. Now, again, can you give us your sincere perspective with out dancing around the inital questions?

Your turn to re-read my previous posts,I already did on a previous page in this thread.Thank you.
Remember,the one you patted me on the back for?I am not by far dancing around the initial questions.

I could name a thousand reasons why I feel the Monarchy reserves respect,but then that would
mean I would deprive millions of Danes of a change to name the very same reasons right here.
Respect,is something you have to earn,you see.

Last edited:
I did. And you danced with your last post... that is the one I was referring too.:)

So, essentially, you gave us your opinion and you have no further comments, am I correct? Thank you, Lucien, for participating.

Last edited:
I did. And you danced with your last post... that is the one I was referring too.:)

So, essentially, you gave us your opinion and you have no further comments, am I correct? Thank you, Lucien, for participating.
No,again,you are not correct by far.Thank you,If you know the answer to the initial question,please feel free to share that with us.

I read these boards mainly for entertainment value. It's nice to look at the dresses and tiaras and pomp and circumstance, but I am glad I don't have to foot the bill. I think I would be upset if I had to pay taxes to support their lifestyle, considering most royal houses have more money than I will ever see in a lifetime and can well afford to pay their own way. I would also be upset to have to pay for parties, weddings and so on, and not be invited. If the royal houses would cease to exist, oh well, life will go on.

No,again,you are not correct by far.

:lol: Oh okay, Lucien.

Thank you,If you know the answer to the initial question,please feel free to share that with us

As a history buff, Lucien, you should know by now that there is no right or wrong answer hence opinions are not empirical facts.

If any monarchy is to survive it cannot behave in a cyclical manner... it must be linear.

:)

but I am glad I don't have to foot the bill

That's all good, but do you really think it's so different to the "bill" you must foot for your administrations and all they necessitate along the way? Of course it isn't. Kingdom's pay for Sovereigns and Republics pay for Presidents. The differences, in this regard, are often negligible at best...:flowers:

Last edited:
Your turn to re-read my previous posts,I already did on a previous page in this thread.Thank you.
Remember,the one you patted me on the back for?I am not by far dancing around the initial questions.

Well, she might remember, but the rest of us don't necessarily recall your getting patted on the back. So could you be a good chap and give us a clue?

I could name a thousand reasons why I feel the Monarchy reserves respect,but then that would
mean I would deprive millions of Danes of a change to name the very same reasons right here.

Feel free to deprive them...;)

Tell you what - why don't you name five, and leave the Danes to worry about the other 995.

Respect,is something you have to earn,you see.

But you just said that monarchy deserves it. Do you mean that monarchy has earned respect? And if so, does respect earned in the past necessarily translate to the future if monarchs in the future don't live up to their ancestors?

I've been reading on this forum for a while and find it very interesting, especially the items that really are about something, like this one.
I call myself a monarchist and i think a royal family is something worth keeping as an institution. But I agree with the starter of this subject that the DRF really has to get their act more together. I mean, what is their image in the press?? Frederik is no doubt a very nice guy, but what does he do besides sailing, going on holiday, going to concerts?? Is there one subject that he has really sunken his teeth in (like e.g. W-A's watermanagement, Maxima's microcredit etc.?) There is Mary. Well, could someone please tell her that she is to become queen of Denmark and not queen of the catwalk??
Joachim, yet another example. Is jetset-farming a real profession nowadays?? I don't think so. Marie, well need I say more. A confessed party-chick who was clueless about what to do with her life and thinks that being a housewife at Schackenborg will do the trick. I hope so. I mean, where is the real involvement with this people? What do they do for the elder, the refugees, animal defence, you name it. I think the DRF needs an Anne, a Margriet, a Laurentien of their own, to proof to the Danish people that they are an institution worth keeping.

Though judging by your post, you either pay alot of attention to tabloid trash or formulate an opinion backed by prejudice, because if it where that you actually new anything of substance about the Danish RF and their patronages, that your opinion would be less provocative and more actual in it's manner.

There is Mary. Well, could someone please tell her that she is to become queen of Denmark and not queen of the catwalk??

A very ignorant comment and one which is neither accurate or sensible.

And so we are all clear, the Dutch royal family are not up for comparison because within this thread, they matter not the slightest. I'm glade you rejoice your RF and the causes in which they are involved. It's been my observation that a great many Danes feel the same about their RF and with just cause to do so.

Last edited:
Edit:

After moderator discussion, this thread has been re-opened. However, we do wish that members pay attention to the TRF Rules and FAQ when posting, namely:

1) Be respectful of other members and their opinions
2) Comparing the Danish Royal Family to foreign royal families is not relevant to this thread

JessRulz, dazzling and iceflower
The Danish Moderators

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom