State Visit from the USA to Denmark: September 2-3, 2019 {Cancelled}

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Muhler for your thorough background posts. So far, this hasn't made the news sites in the US - at least not the ones that I follow. Sept. 2 and 3 should be interesting.

It's funny isn't it how all of a sudden Denmark is thrust onto the world stage, all because the US is interested in Greenland and POTUS is making a State visit. Careful diplomacy must be observed.

Call me a skeptic if you want, but I doubt Mr Trump has any knowledge about or interest in Greenland or Arctic issues.

I am looking forward to following this state visit and I'm sure Denmark will be the perfect host to the US entourage. Always love seeing Queen "Daisy" Margrethe dressed to the nines.

I do have one big hope out of everything that will happen with this state visit. I sincerely hope President Trump doesn't lay eyes on what seems to be a trend these days with ugly, brown shoes and rubber galoshes. Perhaps we should email Melania and warn her about those so she can get Donald some blinders. :D

LOL. That "trend" is over in Norway thanks to Haakon, but so far Frederik has steered clear :cool:.

thank you Muhler for the very informative posts. :flowers:
I hope Frederik with his vast knowledge of Greenland can enlighten a few in the US delegation. Probably a trip to the State of Green will be useful.

Call me a skeptic if you want, but I doubt Mr Trump has any knowledge about or interest in Greenland or Arctic issues.

There is always a reason.

China visiting tiny Monaco. And there comes the monkey out of the sleeve: the principality is the first full 5G network-equipped European state. With gracious cooperation of the Chinese giant Huawei.

The US visiting Denmark: you have something we are veeeeery interested into... (Greenland).

I well remember George Bush's visit with his daughter. And Fred showing the Obama's the reception room with the fabulous Gobelin tapestries. I wonder how many of Trump's children will arrive with him this time?

Recently Trump’s children were given a splendid reception in Ireland when they ventured forth into the neighbouring village where they paid for a drink for every person in all five pubs over two nights. Carlsberg too is probably one of the most favourite beverages in Ireland.

The Danes are pretty laid back, peaceful people. They won't protest this visit like they did in the U.K.....will they?:ermm:

Should be interesting to see what comes about AFTER the visit is over in regards to long term policies or actions in some of the areas Muhler has mentioned.

LaRae

China visit to Monaco

There is always a reason.

China visiting tiny Monaco. And there comes the monkey out of the sleeve: the principality is the first full 5G network-equipped European state. With gracious cooperation of the Chinese giant Huawei.

The US visiting Denmark: you have something we are veeeeery interested into... (Greenland).

Thank you for that information. For the life of me I couldn't at the time work out why President Xi would visit Monaco. Now we know. Very interesting.
I look forward to seeing the photo's of this visit from Potus to Denmark.

I read an article somewhere that as the ice shelf is melting in Greenland it is exposing the ground to a point where it will be easier for miners to extract the Rare Earth minerals that are so prevalent in Greenland.
This is why Russia, China and the USA are so interested in the place now.
If this is true. Interesting times ahead, especially as we think about potential contamination of a pristine wilderness from mining operations.

I read an article somewhere that as the ice shelf is melting in Greenland it is exposing the ground to a point where it will be easier for miners to extract the Rare Earth minerals that are so prevalent in Greenland.
This is why Russia, China and the USA are so interested in the place now.
If this is true. Interesting times ahead, especially as we think about potential contamination of a pristine wilderness from mining operations.

You are spot on. ?

The Danes are pretty laid back, peaceful people. They won't protest this visit like they did in the U.K.....will they?:ermm:

There will be protests. And considering that President Trump is a controversial person probably pretty large protests.
There are some extreme left wingers who may try and pick a fight with the police, we must hope they will be contained. As for the rest they will be peaceful and they will no doubt do their very best to ridicule the President, so expect a lot of caricatures.
In contrast to London, the Social Democrat mayor of Copenhagen will not lead any protests. He will not embarrass his capital, his country and his Prime Minister - who as you know is also a Social Democrat. - Things will be difficult enough for her as they are!
There are plans to get the famous/infamous Trump-blimp to Copenhagen. Whether that will be possible is the question. In contrast to London, the mayor has no say in launching air-balloons. That's up to the Ministry of Traffic - under the government. So the chance of the Trump-blimp being launched legally are IMO pretty slim.
However, I doubt President Trump will be anywhere near the protestors anyway. Apart from driving past some here and there. Again, in contrast to London there is little political will to rock the boat too much during this visit. And as such little political will to actually make sure the President is presented, so to speak, to the protestors.

As for the citizens of Copenhagen. I think I can safely say that most already wish this visit was over. So that they can get on with normal business of getting to and from work. Copenhagen isn't larger than this visit will cause major disturbances for the locals.
As for us in the rest of the country this means that an already over-stretched police force will be concentrated in Copenhagen. The burglars are right now polishing their crowbars! Unless you are being murdered the police response time will be around five years from late August. :ermm:
But perhaps we will get a little help from Swedish police? The Scandinavian police forces helping each other with manpower has been seen before at major security events.

Last edited:
I think that's a grand idea getting the Swedish police to help out.
If the Queen puts on a State dinner or lunch at the request of her government Mr President will love it.
As Denmark and the DRF put on a splendid pomp and ceremony occasion and he loves that.

Will there be a white tie occasion? I’m looking forward to seeing President Trump in his evening wear again.

Perhaps we should look at the formalities behind a state or official visit.

When visiting a foreign country the DK monarch or prime minister will extend a general invitation to the foreign head of state to visit Denmark.
At some point the foreign office in that country will send a note to the Danish Foreign Ministry that their head of state would like to come visiting.
The Danish government will consider that and say OK.
Then the court will be informed that the government would like a state visit by the head of state from country XX to take place. The court (i.e. the Danish monarch) will usually, but not always, say yes.
The foreign ministries in both DK and the other country will talk a little back and forth about when the state visit should take place. - That's usually at least a year or two before it's about to happen.
Then the court will send a personal message to the head of state of the foreign country inviting the head of state to come visiting either on specific dates or at a more unspecific date. Say Primo April 2022.
That invitation will be graciously accepted and some time later the press will be informed that president/king/queen YY will come to Denmark on this and that date (or alternatively in the spring of 2022) on an official state visit.

Then things become busy!
Now there will be talks and meetings back and forth regards all the details of the visit.
The Foreign Ministry together with the court will lay out some suggestions and compare them with wishes expressed by the foreign office of the visiting country and they will agree on an overall plan, usually pretty fast. Both countries will usually have a rough blueprint, which is modified from time to time, lying in a drawer somewhere.
That overall plan, is then published and when further details are in place a more detailed schedule will be published.

There will still be meetings and polishing of all the multitudes of details before a state visit happens though and at some point the press will be informed in more details about the agenda.
And at this point there will usually be a press-meeting with both the Danish monarch as well as the incoming head of state.

And then (fanfare) the state visit takes place.

Follow up.

Of course a state visit or official visit doesn't happen just because say the Vietnamese president wakes up one morning and think: Hmm, how about a state visit to Denmark in 2022?
A) It's a natural culmination of events.
Like a visit to Estonia shortly after the independence. Partly to acknowledge the new country, partly to emphasize friendly relations and partly to celebrate friendly co-operation.
In the case with Estonia DK offered considerable advise on state-administrative level - and Estonia had the opportunity to practice how to set up and handle a visit at this level from a friendly country, that wouldn't be offended by the odd mistakes.

B) Or it's a part of ongoing trade negotiations. And that's something the DRF in particular does a lot!
In the case with Vietnam, DK had for a long time worked on gaining the trust of the back then much more Communist system. And after years of work DK managed to gain a foothold and started serious negotiations and co-operation with both the Vietnamese government and businesses, having learned to overcome local bureaucracy and mutual cultural differences.
So the state visit to Vietnam became a natural culmination of these dealings and a lot of business contracts were signed and even more business negotiations were started during that visit where DK (and Vietnam in DK) was profiled in a hopefully positive light.
- That is today the main functions of the DRF when they go abroad. Promoting and aiding Danish commerce and businesses.

C) Neighborhood visits. State and official visits between in particular the Nordic countries are frequent. Partly because the royal families are not only closely related but also close personal friends.
Partly because there is a strong interest in cementing the good relations between neighboring countries.
And with the added bonus that the courts, the individual royals and the civil servants can practice such visits among friends so to speak. There are always mistakes, but here there is no danger of a diplomatic crisis or contracts being torn apart as a consequence of such mistakes.

D) And then there are incoming visits by heads of states who are also heads of their government, like the US President.
They are often strongly political, but there are still formalities to be respected, especially when it's a full blown state visit, - which in itself is also a political statement.

- I know, I know, most of this is well-known to most of you, but it is my experience that what may be obvious to some may not be obvious to others.

ADDED.
There are concrete plans of taking the baby-Trump blimp to DK during the upcoming visit, where it will paraded at street level, provided the import license is in place and vat is paid. And it still requires a permit from the local police.
In DK all demonstrations needs a permit from the local police, in order to ensure it won't be too much of a disturbance to public order and traffic, to guide the traffic around the demonstration and to protect the demonstrators.
Spontaneous or unannounced demonstrations are illegal and can be dissolved on the spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will there be a white tie occasion? I’m looking forward to seeing President Trump in his evening wear again.

I assume there will be as incoming state visits to Denmark normally include a white-tie gala dinner.

It is very likely the audiences will be cancelled. Especially if the US President will be anywhere near Christiansborg that day.

Indeed. The audiences have now been scratched from the calendar.

It is pretty much an open secret that Frederik has long been deeply involved in the day to day administration of the court and also in laying out new guidelines for say the social media the DRF use nowadays. - Of course in co-operation with his mother.

QMII will stay in France for the next ten-twelve days or so, I understand, while Frederik is Regent.
While there she may read up on President Trump. Reading a biography or two I imagine, while having a look at the draft the PM's office has send her, in regards to the speech she will give at the gala.
When she returns home, there will be briefings and final meetings and decisions, I guess. There are after all a number of things only the Monarch can decide.

However, I wonder if she hasn't left Frederik pretty much in charge of the initial handlings and preparations as well as decisions that has to be made in connection with a state visit? Especially if the US President is going to stay at Fredensborg.
There will be a multitude of things that at least needs an OK from the Monarch/Regent. Everything from flower-decorations to the menu, to selecting the entertainment, to accepting or politely declining wishes from the incoming guests and so on and so on.
- Perhaps assisted by Mary?
So that when QMII returns she will do an inspection and add her final touches to the whole show.

So I wonder if QMII has so much confidence in Frederik now being well-drilled enough to run most by himself, that she leaves most to him?
The ultimate on-job-training.

Thanks to Muhler for his always interesting and well-informed posts! :flowers:

--------------------

The reason for the state visit is a little more obvious. Trump is addicted to selfpromotion and the pomp of the British state visit honoured his whole extended family like a medieval monarch - with retinue. The grandeur of a Cristiansborg reception will meet his needs of grandiosity. He has to be honoured in the manner of any average egotistical dictator and the sparkle and dignity of the Danish court on the global stage is a means to that end.
If he wants grandeur, sparkle and dignity: Well, a gala-dinner at the palace in Oslo with two Ballrooms (where guardsmen from The King's guard stand along the procession route - see this post - link) and a Banqueting Hall (where the tables are set with some amazing silver - see this post - link) would give him just as good pictures as those from ''Riddersalen'' at Christiansborg (called The Great Hall in English, although the exact translation is ''The Knights' Hall'').

Yes, just had to say it! Must be the Norwegian in me! LOL.

But when it comes to Danish royal palaces, I prefer the beautiful (although smaller and more intimate) ''Kuppelsalen'' (The Dome Hall) at Fredensborg. However, I'm pretty sure The White House has pointed out that Trump likes it as grand as possible. - And if they have digged a bit, they will have discovered that both Hu Jintao of China and Macron of France had the gala-dinners in their honour at Christiansborg, so that will most likely be the place I think (hope I'm wrong BTW).

Macron's Garde Républicaine is an impressive sight though.

:previous: sure is!
And so are the Swedish Drabant Guard, dressed like cuirassiers from around 1715.

oh dear, I hope he doesn't think he can ask the Queen...:ermm::lol:
"Trump has privately asked aides about the possibility of purchasing Greenland"
https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...s-about-possibility-of-us-acquiring-greenland

Oh my! I'd love to be a fly on the wall to witness that question. Picture this: Trump asks what the purchase price is for Greenland to Queen Margrethe. The Queen promptly answers "a fair price due on the second Tuesday of next week" with a wink and a giggle as she walks away. Trump stands there for five minutes in silence trying to figure out what Queen Margrethe just told him. :D

Sorry, had to do it. The temptation was too strong to resist. :whistling:

Perhaps we can persuade Greenland to buy Trump.

oh dear, I hope he doesn't think he can ask the Queen...:ermm::lol:
"Trump has privately asked aides about the possibility of purchasing Greenland"
https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...s-about-possibility-of-us-acquiring-greenland

It may sound ridiculous today, but Russia sold Alaska to the US a little over 150 years ago. And, not so long ago, in 1946 actually, the US did make an actual offer to Denmark to buy Greenland.

Denmark also sold the Virgin Islands to the US in 1917.

And what about the vote of the natives?

Yes, several US papers refer to two sources saying that President Trump has on several occasions vented the idea of USA buying Greenland and asked his aides to look into the matter - in regards to practicality and economy.

There is actually a precedence. USA bought the Virgin Islands from DK in 1917. But that was in 1917 and the islands were colonies in a time when colonies were common. (It can also be argued that DK had little choice.)
USA has also asked about the price for Greenland in 1867 and again in 1947. In 1947 it ended up with an agreement with USA to set up the Thule Base.

Okay, when the US administration contemplates anything that involves Denmark or rather the Danish Realm, the Danish government and the Parliament has to consider that seriously. No matter how unusual it may appear.

Any proposal of buying Greenland has and will be dismissed out of hand.
There are three reasons for that:
A) We can't sell Greenland. The land and the natural resources there legally belongs to the Greenlanders. Not Denmark.
B) It would, to put it mildly, be extremely complicated legally. Is it even possible according to international law to sell Greenland, an autonomous territory? And as such the Greenlanders? It would be the equivalent of selling North Dakota to Canada. There would be quite a few problems!
C) Should the unthinkable happen that DK actually did sell/rent Greenland, we would hardly win a popularity contest worldwide! Leaving a pristine region like Greenland in the hands of an administration, that by all accounts intends (and just as importantly has to!) to finance the purchase by exploiting the natural resources there would lead to an international outcry the like of which has hardly been seen before.
No price USA is willing to pay could remotely compensate for the bad press DK would get!

Another matter is that should President Trump actually come to Denmark and ask to buy Greenland, it would be considered a direct insult!
A) Not just because of the historical and cultural ties to Greenland.
B) But because such an offer would imply that Denmark is incapable of looking after Greenlandic interest. And while some Greenlanders would no doubt agree, by any international standard Greenland is well looked after. Certainly better than say Puerto Rico, as critics would immediately point out.
C) And last but not least, because such an offer has traditionally been backed up by gunboats... And Danish politicians may not say this, but certainly think: "Is this a way to treat an old ally?!? We haven't even been at war at any point in our history!"

So Greenland is not for sale, rent or lease, period!

It would be an entirely different matter if the Greenlanders themselves wished to switch from being under Danish sovereignty to being under US sovereignty. After a referendum and the proper legal procedures of course. That is something Denmark will not prevent. - It would probably mean that Greenland would have to declare itself independent first and then request joining USA in some form.
Whether the Greenlanders are even interested is another matter. But I write this from a purely Danish perspective. Even though I understand that from what is being written in the Greenlandic press, they are not particularly enthusiastic!

There is a comment I have seen a number of times in the foreign comments sections: Why not just take Greenland?
Well, if Greenland was independent that would IMO be a realistic scenario regardless of who is in office in the White House.
But Greenland is a part of the Danish realm...

Now, that is a hypothetical question that I would love to play and certainly follow! (*)

So is President Trump serious? Or is this simply a scenario, that should be taken into consideration, even if it is unlikely ever to come up?
I don't know.
Political commentators here have speculated that this proposal is not directed at Denmark, but at Russia and China.
It's a signal saying that USA is dead serious about Greenland! So keep your hands off!!

(*) Can the US President even order an invasion of a part of a foreign country, where there is no civil unrest, no emergency, no calls for help, hardly any US citizens and which belongs to a NATO ally, without the consent of the Congress?
It would by International Law be an act of war.
It would certainly by militarily possibly, the Greenlanders and the Danish military there would only be able to put up a minimum of resistance. And the US administration could within a day or two present Denmark and the Congress with a faith accompli. - We've got Greenland, what can you do about it?
A most interesting what if, that is of course outside the scope of this thread.

Last edited:
Approximately 50,000 natives.
This is all about Rare Earth Mineral mining and Uranium deposits. Greenland has one of the largest deposits of rare earth minerals.
From what I understand after reading the business news, there is a race between Russia, China and the USA to be granted mining leases in Greenland.
Greenland and Denmark potentially can become very rich from mining royalties. The big concern of course is the impact on the environment.
There is no way that anything connected with the mining venture should affect the marine life in that area, as that is their primary food source.
Some mining already exists I believe or exploration ventures are happening at the moment.
So basically what is needed is someone with very good communication and diplomatic skills to proceed in talks with the Danes and Greenlanders.

Is that person Donald Trump?

Sorry Muhler I was typing as you were posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so big surprise that Trump speaks about purchasing of Greenland. Altough there was similar proposals already on Truman's era soon after WW2.

But now we live different times altough Trump hardly undersand that. There is not way how USA could buy Greenland. Denmark can't do that without will of Greenlanders. And I doubt that they want that. Greenland would be just American colony where mining companies would steal all natural resources and destroy enviro,mnent. Well, unfortunately it not look very good anyway.

well, given the history of US buying land, as indicated above (alaska, virgin islands) it is hardly an unfounded request that of trump. but like mulher said, i highly doubt that greenland will be sold. not a dumb question to raise, given the natural resources it has. i get the impression that every time trump speaks a word he is condenmed, even if there is some truth/sense in what he says. and, yes, there's many things for which he is condenmnable, but he is after all the elected president of the US and of the free world and deserves a bit more respect than he gets.

anyway, coming back on topic, i am excited about this visit and to see pictures in due course. is frederik really organising the state visit this time around, given QM is on holiday?

.... [snipped]
So is President Trump serious? Or is this simply a scenario, that should be taken into consideration, even if it is unlikely ever to come up?
I don't know.
Political commentators here have speculated that this proposal is not directed at Denmark, but at Russia and China.
It's a signal saying that USA is dead serious about Greenland! So keep your hands off!!

(*) Can the US President even order an invasion of a part of a foreign country, where there is no civil unrest, no emergency, no calls for help, hardly any US citizens and which belongs to a NATO ally, without the consent of the Congress?
It would by International Law be an act of war.
It would certainly by militarily possibly, the Greenlanders and the Danish military there would only be able to put up a minimum of resistance. And the US administration could within a day or two present Denmark and the Congress with a faith accompli. - We've got Greenland, what can you do about it?
A most interesting what if, that is of course outside the scope of this thread.
Mr Anders Fogh Rasmussen will always justify positive sides of leasing/selling Greenland to USA. The Danish government will find reasons to acquiesce a US request (example, Nord Stream II https://finans.dk/politik/ECE114747...rledning-amerikanerne-har-mast-os/?ctxref=ext).

On a different note... USSR was/Russia is the Arctic super power with most ice-breakers and other military vessels and bases. As usually, China plays a multifaceted game, which is impossible for barbarians to comprehend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom