State Visit from Russia to Denmark: April 27-28, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
...Russian President Dmitry Medvedev to come on an official state visit to Denmark in April 2010...
Full Article

SOme boards & articles are calling this a state visit but nothing yet confirmed also a possibility that this is scheduled for April 26-29.

Last edited:
State Visit from Russia; April 27 and 28, 2010

Russisk Statsbesøg

Amalienborg den 15. april 2010

Efter indbydelse fra Hendes Majestæt Dronningen og Hans Kongelige Højhed Prinsgemalen aflægger Ruslands præsident, Hans Excellence Dmitry Medvedev og fru Svetlana Medvedeva statsbesøg i Danmark den 27- 28. april 2010.

Ove Ullerup
Hofmarskal

Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Nyheder

Tuesday 27th
Castle for State Visit from Russia at 20:00

Wednesday 28th
Crown Prince participates in incoming state visit from Russia

Ballet concert in th honor of the royal couples - source

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
One more gallery form PPE
PPE Agency Gala

Today's program:

11:00h
President Medvedev and Crown Prince Frederik
Plenary Session of the “Russian-Danish Business Conference”.

The First Lady Medvedeva and Crown Princess Mary
Arrival and guided tour at Rosenborg Palace.

5.45 pm
Russian Return Arrangement:
Reception hosted by HE President Medvedev and First Lady Medvedeva in honour of HM.the Queen and HRH the Prince Consort at Restaurant Nimb. HM the Queen and HRH the Prince Consort, The Crown Prince Couple, TRH Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Princess Benedikte will participate.

7.00 p.m.
Russian ballet performance at Tivoli Concert Hall.

8.10 p.m.
Farewell ceremony at Tivoli Concert Hall.
HM the Queen and H.R.H. the Prince Consort take leave of HE President Medvedev and First lady Medvedeva.

Mary is so elegant. Obviously Marie is still learning "Princess Style"

I've one question but don't know is this the right topic... Anyway I like to ask why is crown prince sitting on the left hand of queen and crown princess on the right? I can understand why president and prince Henrik are sitting on the right hand but why not crown prince?!:ermm:

Lovely pictures from the Gala dinner, and the pictures from today are also stunning. Mary looks wonderful as always. And the Queen looked beautiful as ever.
PPE Agency Rosenborg

Ok I found it:). Thanks Lumutqueen. I have to pay attention next time.

Myroyal blog has pictures of the DRF hosting a dinner for the Russian president and his wife. Princess Mary and Russia's First Lady are seen visiting Rosenborg Castle.:) Mary looks lovely, and Queen Margarethe wore the same gown she wore for her 70th birthday celebrations.

myroyal's: DANİSH ROYAL

(I'm not sure if this has been posted already)

Margrethe and Benedikte both repeated 2 dresses from Margrethe's birthday celebrations a week and a half ago...this is taken recycling to a whole new level! :ohmy:

Marys skirt looks to be the dark blue Yves St Laurent number worn to the Red Cross Ball in Sydney in 2005. Mary doesn't appear as happy today as she usually does. Marie looks lovely and the Queens blue coat worn at the airport a really spectacular look for her with the Connaught pearl brooch. Hope the Presidents trip was helpful for both sides.

Thanks for all the links and photos posted.

The ladies have all looked great, although Marie certainly makes some strange choices her outfit at the airport was just strange.

http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2010/4/Russisk%20Tivoli.aspx

Here is a gallery from Billed Bladet about the Russian state visit. In this case the entire DRF went to Tivoli with the Russian President.

#1: Apparantly they didn't chase every other visitor in Tivoli out but I wonder how they even managed to see anything! All the gentlemen with the unbottened suits are security.

#2: Princess Benedikte is easy to spot wearing bright red. An adjutant from the navy walks behind her.

#3: Mary and Frederik. Mary is recycling her dress. Even I remember having seen that dress before.

#4: This must be right outside the main entrance.

#5: Joachim and la Marie shaking her earrings.

#6: The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Lene Espersen, with a Russian counterpart I presume. - She has incidentally goofed again!

#7: A wawing Medvedev. I understand that Medvedev is considered more of an "intellectual" type whereas Putin is more "rough", appealing to different segments of the Russian population.

#8: Prince Henrik with the sympathetic looking Russian first lady.

#9: La Marie and her Joachim with the Tivoli Guard playing in the background.

#10: The Prime Minister Lars Løkke with his wife Solrun. She's Faroese.

#11: I wonder who the blooming lady walking next to QMII is.

#12: Entering the gala table at Fredensborg.

#13: Mary has the Prime Minster as her table partner. He is wearing a Greek order I understand.

#14: A delighted Princess Marie is wearing a necklace handed down from the late Queen Ingrid. It consists of diamonds. Lots of them!

#15: Cheers. PH has a peculiar way to wear the Order of the Elephant.

#16: La petite Marie appears to have a great time. So does her table partner, who I am certain is a Russian.

#17: Tanja Doky, Mary's LiW, with her husband.

#18: I have no idea who this couple is. - Has she put her head through a piece of their lawn?!?

#19: Don't know who this couple is either, but judging from the decorations worn by the lady, I guess they are Danish.

#20: The Foreign Minster, Lene Espersen, with husband. - For once not on vacation....

#21: The PM, Lars Løkke, with his Solrun and his Greek order.

#22: Don't know who this lady is. Presumably Danish.

#23: Minister of Industry and Economy, Brian Mikkelsen and wife. Popularly known as Brian Kludremikkelsen (Screw-up), he almost died of a heart failure a few years ago.

#34: A colorful couple, whose identity eludes me.

#35: Another colorful couple. Groovy... Minster for Interior and Health, Bertel Haarder, with wife. A pretty competent minister.

#36: Not sure who this couple is, but at least his wife is blooming.

#37: Minister for Employment, Inger Støjberg, with husband. - One can hope that she at some point gets into contact with Planet Earth.

#38: Minister for Climate end Energy, Lykke Friis, with husband. The combined IQ of the government doubled, when she became a minister.

#39: Lars Barfoed, Minister of Justice and wife.

#40: Minister for Integration, Birthe Rønn Hornbech. If I told you about her you simply wouldn't believe me!

#41: Don't know who this couple is, but judging from his order, they are Danish.

#42: Another unknown couple, both are highly decorated and Danish.

#43: At the airport. Princess Marie looking chic with what resembles a deflated hot water bottle on her head. What a novel and refreshing idea.

#44: Milling out to greet the Russian President at the plane.

#45: QMII and Medvedev and their adjutants. QMII's if from the army, one of the guards regiments. Medvedev's is from the navy.

#46: Presenting arms - and toeing the line. QMII is presumably recieving a report from the detachment commander.

#47: The Russian first lady, Medvedeva, chatting with Prince Henrik.

#48: Inspecting the guard. The formidable looking detachment commander is walking next to QMII, wearing red gala.

#49: An observant Mary in the background.

#50: Don't know what Joachim and his Marie are talking about, but they appear to have a great time.

#51: A somewhat mischivious looking Medvedev.

#52: Back row are still chatting away. What is that object on Marie's head?

#53: Is it paper clippings Mary has adorned her head with?!? Yees, I know, Frederik. Greyish stints in his hair, dashing and all that. Don't faint ladies...

#54: Mary caught in a pensive moment.

#55: A somewhat astounded looking Marie, wearing leather or skin or something. Well, well...

#56: Entering the terminal and out of the wind. No hats flying this time.

Are they both wearing the danneborg pin? like Mary sometimes wears on her dresses?
And the sashes, are they family ones?

The man looks like he is wearing the cross of the Dannebrog, but his sash is definitely not that of the Order of Dannebrog. The woman is not wearing the Dannebrog pin. I don't know of any family orders that have sashes. The only family orders that I have ever seen are the ones that the Scandinavian women wear of the photo of their monarch. I've seen that burgundy sash before, but I've never been able to find info on it. The woman's sash looks like that of the royal order of Monaco, but I'm not sure.

Edit: The Greeks have an order that is typically given to female family members-the Order of St. Olga and St. Sofia; however, that sash is blue.

Okay...I found the info about this man's order. It is a German order called the Order of Merit:
Orders, Decorations and Medals - Medals by Country - Medals of Germany

Billed-Bladet - Russisk galla i Fredensborg

I'm still wondering about the woman with the red/white order and the golden sash of the man seated next to Crown Princess Mary at the dinner:
Edit: found it-Greek Order of the Phoenix:
http://www.greekroyalfamily.gr/assets/ROYAL ORDERS (ENG).pdf

Are they both wearing the danneborg pin? like Mary sometimes wears on her dresses?

Mary doesn't have a Danneborg 'pin' ? HRH isn't a member of the order, yet.

The Crown Princess wears a miniature portrait of HM the Queen, that is all.

the man seated next to Crown Princess Mary at the dinner:

That man happens to be the Prime Minister.

Mary doesn't have a Danneborg 'pin' ? HRH isn't a member of the order, yet.

The Crown Princess wears a miniature portrait of HM the Queen, that is all.

That man happens to be the Prime Minister.

Yes, I realize that; however, for the purposes of my question, it is easier to describe him as the man seated next to the Crown Princess. Not everybody can identify by sight the Danish Prime Minister.

But thank you for pointing that out:ermm:

Also-many people read this site in an effort to learn something about royalty. Not everyone may know the official terms for the items associated with royal orders. A polite, "It is called a badge, medal and ladies' bow, or breast star; not a pin" is much nicer (IMO) than putting quotes around the word the poster used. If you happen to know the correct terms, then please share your knowledge. Do not hold it against another member if he/she does not use the term.

Last edited:
Crown Princess Mary and Svetlana Medvedevaa visiting the
Rosenborg castle, Copenhagen, April 28:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 ** Pic 8 ** Pic 9 **

Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

Pic #8 is interesting, it's from the throne room at Rosenborg. You cannot see it on the photo, but the two thrones (king and queen) are made of narwhale tusks. In front of them are three feroucious looking silver lions standing guard. You can see the lions in the photo.

Rosenborg is the home of the Danish crown jewels and presumably they saw them as well.
Rosenborg is also the home of the serving guards battallion of the Royal Life Guard Regiment. I.e. the battallion standing guard at the palaces.
The regiment itself is garrisoned at Høvelte Barracks in Northern Zealand.

Here is a bit more info on Rosenborg Castle: Rosenborg Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marys skirt looks to be the dark blue Yves St Laurent number worn to the Red Cross Ball in Sydney in 2005. Mary doesn't appear as happy today as she usually does. Marie looks lovely and the Queens blue coat worn at the airport a really spectacular look for her with the Connaught pearl brooch. Hope the Presidents trip was helpful for both sides.

My mistake Mary's skirt is Oscar de la Renta not Yves St Laurent.:cool:

Muhler your knowledge is wonderful. The silver lions are magnificent and I believe are very old. They were on display during Empress Maria Feodorovna 's lying in state in 1928. And when other Kings were lying in state. Do you know when they were made and what they represent? It is a lot to ask I know, but I just thought you might know. I remember the lions were on display at the Versailles silver exhibition in 2007. Denmark is fortunate to have these wonderful things. I have visited the Rosenborg Castle web site and the rooms are very impressive.

Princess Marie looked very beatiful at the tivoli concert.

Muhler i have a question for you, if you can reply it: why is Marie adressed as "La Marie", is it used by the danish press?, is that the way the danes talk about her? Thanks in advance.

Thank you, Tarlita, I blush :)

The silver lions were made in 1665-1670 shortly after absolutism was introduced in Denmark.
Interestingly, Frederik III, the king who introduced absolutism actually wanted a kind of Parliamentary system like the English. Perhaps he was foresigted enough to know that putting so much power in the hands of one man could end in a lot of mess. (Absolutism was very much debated back then and there were pro and cons. This was about governing more than usurping more power. Many if not most enlightened European kings of the time felt a genuine obligation towards their people, and not least God, to rule well).
Unfortunately the various classes of the society (stænder), i.e. peasants, nobility, clergy and townspeople (borgere), kept bickering among themselves and could not agree on anything, so parliamentarism was abandoned and absolutism introduced instead. The situation at the time was simply too serious.
Before that all kings had to formally be elected king, then acknowledged and hailed by the people at meetings in all parts of the realm. In theory anyone, until the introduction of absolutism, could be king. In reality the king was found among a few families.
The first thing a king did after being acknowledged king was to ensure that his heir, as soon as he had one, was acknowledged as a rightful heir. That enured that a line of succession was established, thus avoiding civil war and assasinations. - Most of the time!

In fact the peasants and townpeople sided with the king during the first few hundred years of Danish history against the power of the nobility.
Every free man was armed and up until the early 1500's (until the Reformation) they would pick up arms if they were displeased with something.
An uprising usually consisted of torching the farm of a nobleman or beating up and sometimes killing a magistrate or two. So the king had to send a few men to smooth things out or go himself if he happened to be in that part of the country. The king was constantly on the move and it wasn't until 1300-1400 Copenhagen became the de facto capital for the administration.
If things didn't calm down he would have to send a small army and then things got serious! But that was the exception, usually the situation calmed down. - And you might lend the noble a hand in rebuilding the farm, you and others had burned down. No hard feelings, eh? :whistling:
People just had a more dramatic way of demonstrating back then...:p
However, it wasn't like the nobility and peasantry and free farmers were in the face of each other all the time. The population was small and people knew each other and had to live with each other, so a sensible way of life existed.
But one thing that could unite nobility and free men was taxation! Raise taxes too much and the king could end up with a genuine rebillion on his hands.

Better stop now, I could go on. :lol: It's just so fascinating and things were much more nuanced back then.

Muhler your knowledge is wonderful. The silver lions are magnificent and I believe are very old. They were on display during Empress Maria Feodorovna 's lying in state in 1928. And when other Kings were lying in state. Do you know when they were made and what they represent? It is a lot to ask I know, but I just thought you might know. I remember the lions were on display at the Versailles silver exhibition in 2007. Denmark is fortunate to have these wonderful things. I have visited the Rosenborg Castle web site and the rooms are very impressive.

Sure, Marie is called la Marie by me. Not by the press.
It's just an old joke among some royal watchers and it's very much meant as an endearment.
Because la Marie is so very French. :)

Just a little oddity from my side. Bear with me. :p

Princess Marie looked very beatiful at the tivoli concert.

Muhler i have a question for you, if you can reply it: why is Marie adressed as "La Marie", is it used by the danish press?, is that the way the danes talk about her? Thanks in advance.

Silver lions at Rosenborg etc

Thank you Muhler, you always have an interesting way of putting things. ;) I must read up on Danish history tho as it seems interesting. And thank you for the very amusing description of guests.:lol: Quite funny I thought. But that's just my sense of humour.

Now if I can be of help to you. Mary wore the purple coloured Hugo Boss dress worn in 2004 on her first trip to London with Fred.

Prss Marie's pendant is a large diamond surrounded by a row of smaller diamonds with the outer edge of 8 diamonds interspersed with cabochon sapphires and a diamond drop. This was worn by a very young Qu Alexandrine - photo shows her sitting down. So either Christian X gave it to her or it was from her mothers collection the Grand Duchess Anastasia of Russia who was given a sapphire parure from Tsar Alexander III for a wedding gift in 1879 to Friedrich Franz III of Mecklenberg Schwerrin. This piece then passed down to Qu Ingrid and Qu Margrethe now Prss Marie.
Tis my hobby to follow the history behind royal jewels.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom