State Visit from Bulgaria to Denmark: March 29-31, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
soCal girl said:
Alexandra is beautiful but she has to find another way to wear that tiara. It just does not look good like that. Gorgeous princess + gorgeous tiara does not always equal gorgeous overall look (on the head)!
I know it's a general rule that one shouldn't be able to look through the tiara, that it should be supported by hair, but this particular tiara needs a lot of hair to prevent it from being ''transparent''.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=235228&d=1143660342

It's a difficult tiara to wear. Maybe if you have naturally curly or wavy hair it could work better.

I think however this fashion is one of the better she's worn her tiara.

At least she didn't resort to the cone head hair style as on New Years reception. It was a truly awful hairdo.

It seems as if HRH Crown Princess Mary bears the star of the Order of the Elephant on her left side, and a Bulgarian decoration on her left. According to www.kronprinsparret.dk, however, she has not received any Bulgarian decorations:confused:. The same goes for HRH Crown Prince Frederik.

HM the Queen and HRH the Prince Consort received the most prestigious of Bulgarian decorations, the Stara Planina.

And another thing: I like the fact that both the Crown Princess and Princess Alexandra wore a miniature portrait of HM Queen Margrethe II. The Queen herself has a portrait of her father, King Frederik IX. In my opinion, this traditions strongly accentuates the continuity of the monarchy. Does anyone know if the carrying of miniature portraits only applies to royal ladies, or if men can wear it as well?

/Lasse Pedersen

Lasse Pedersen said:
And another thing: I like the fact that both the Crown Princess and Princess Alexandra wore a miniature portrait of HM Queen Margrethe II. The Queen herself has a portrait of her father, King Frederik IX. In my opinion, this traditions strongly accentuates the continuity of the monarchy. Does anyone know if the carrying of miniature portraits only applies to royal ladies, or if men can wear it as well?
Only women wear them and only in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and UK
Some only wear one but you can also see some wearing several, forinstance Queen Elizabeth seems to wear two and in Norway Princess Astrid always wear three portraits, her grandfathers, her fathers and her brothers (goodthing she has a large bossom with room for all of them:cool: ) See theese post for pictures
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/309418-post384.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/308268-post186.html

Last edited:
Photos from Polfoto

Attachments

• ch158205.jpg
    ch158205.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 407
  • ch158204.jpg
    ch158204.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 716
  • ch158203.jpg
    ch158203.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 646
  • ch158206.jpg
    ch158206.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 291
  • ch158208.jpg
    ch158208.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 330
  • ch158209.jpg
    ch158209.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 348
  • ch158210.jpg
    ch158210.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 326
  • ch158211.jpg
    ch158211.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 300
  • ch158212.jpg
    ch158212.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:
All the royal ladies look lovely again tonight.I especially like The Quuen's suit.

Thank you, Sophus for the info on Queen Margrethe's gala gown.
Yes lovely pictures, too. Thank you to those who takes the trouble to show
and for us to view. We do follow closely what's going on in all Royal events
such as this.

The Queen looks fantastic in red! Just as Mary did, they both wear the colour so wonderfully well. Strange shirt Mary is wearing tonight though, it's got the most original cuts & shapes, perhaps it's in fashion I don't know... Princess Benedikte could really benefit from having her teeth fixed btw :D

Last edited:
Mary's skirt is gorgeous. Don't like the black top as much. Or maybe I don't like the way it goes with the skirt? I don't know, somehow I don't like the combination. Also don't like the headband, and her hair pulled straight back.

Alexandra's dress is lovely! and great shoes, lovely splash of blue! Do the shoes go with the dress though? Her eye makeup is a little strange.

i do like mary's outfit tonight.. i think she looks very pretty and fashionable with the headband and the top

i think that princess mary looks very fashionable and pretty with this outfit.. i do like her hair with the headband

Last edited by a moderator:
highpriestess said:
Mary looked like a manniquin in both pictures, the tilted head (in the first picture), the glaze-over, lifeless eyes (in both pictures)... Her mind seemed to be far away. She looked space out.

HRH was listening to the Queen's speech. :D

Thanks for all the lovely pictures of the concert night. Queen Margrethe looked majestic, Princess Benedikte regal and CPs Mary looked very young, stylish and elegant with this skirt and top. :)

Alexandra was as usual very elegant. Truly a lady with class and style.

The Crown Princely couple did wear their Knight's star of the Order of the Elephant. I believe as they wore a lower ranked order than that of HM the Queen, that they were permitted to wear the Order of the ELephant, but without the sash.

Definitly not one of my favourite gowns, but I was expecting the Crown Princess to wear her bridal tiara and earings, much to my delight!

"MII"

Last edited:
I think Mary looked much better the second night than she did the first night. Whereas Alexandra looked much much much better the first night than the second night.

The red dress looked way better the first time round. I didn't like the hairstyle she wore it with this time, I didn't really like this dress with the wedding earrings, and the red sash looked strange. However the headband outfit! I love it! I love that she's taken to wearing headbands, and she just looked so young and fresh with it. The cut of the jacket was fab, the skirt was beautiful. She just looked really good tonight. She could have probably done without the choker though...

Alexandra looked beautiful in her gala gown. I think she's worn it before, and her tiara looked lovely with it. But the second night with the shiny outfit and...the shoes. Then the make up. She could have looked much better IMO

Tiff

So was the red gown the same one, from the prewedding ball?! If so, Mary has somewhat filled it out, presuming she is nursing her son?! She has a fabulous figure, but is not as stick thin as the time of her wedding/engagement.

Picture by Keld Navntoft from www.bt.dk
Hosted by tinypic

snlbbm.jpg

Larzen said:
Only women wear them and only in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and UK
Some only wear one but you can also see some wearing several, forinstance Queen Elizabeth seems to wear two and in Norway Princess Astrid always wear three portraits, her grandfathers, her fathers and her brothers (goodthing she has a large bossom with room for all of them:cool: ) See theese post for pictures

That was a good one, Larzen - killed myself laughing!

By the way these "miniature portraits" are known as family orders and are not just any old picture stuck to your breast: they are given/awarded by the sovereign to female (as far as I know) members of his/her family (not sure if sovereign queens do the same???). I'm also not sure if it is every member of the (immediate) family or if they have to be worthy of it in some way but I think the former is true.

As for Mary's orders, should they not have been worn on the left and a brooch worn on the right? It seems to have been stuck on in a rush as it's dangling at an angle and it makes her look a bit like a Christmas tree. But I think it has been a good turnout for the Danish ladies and Sophus is justly proud!

I love the black jacket.
It looks very versatile, I can't wait to see it "dressed down".

No, Mary is wearing the orders exactly as protocol says she should wear them.
Danish orders on one side, foreign order on the other.

It does look a little bit funny but she can't help it.
I personally think that wearing orders on an evening dress always looks funny
no matter how you wear them.:)

Despite the orders and the colour of the dress Mary does display understated elegance in my eyes.
Not at all looking like a Christmas tree. (That was Letizia at the state visit of President Putin.:) )

I like Mary's dress much better now than when she wore it the first time with the ruby parure and the blue sash.
She looked overloaded at that time and
the colour of the rubies - a little bit into the pink - did not go well with the colour of the dress.
Also I did not like that particular shade of blue (sash) on that particular shade of red (dress).
I think all of Mary's outfits during this state visit were great, elegant and modern at the same time.

Alexandra's dress at the gala banquet was nice, nothing special but showing her really lovely figure and beautiful arms.
I did not like her shiny outfit yesterday, the shoes were totally wrong and the make-up simply horrible.
And I think her usual glow was missing at both events.

The queen: I think that is one of her best gala dresses.
Always loved it and she seems to love it too.;)
And she looked great in red yesterday.

Last edited:
1-6 Alexandra at the gala from UK Press
7-9 ALexandra at the return arrangement Uk Press

Attachments

• Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_47-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_47-U.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_46-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_46-U.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 307
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_45-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_45-U.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 299
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_43-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_43-U.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 278
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_42-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_42-U.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 336
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_44-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_44-U.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 394
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_61-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_61-U.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_56-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_56-U.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 278
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_62-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_62-U.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 385
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_60-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_60-U.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,051
Last edited:
Hehe!! Both Mary & Alexandra displayed a bit of clevage at last night's gala dinner!! :D

Return arrangement Uk Press
I dont think Marys choker goes well with the jacket, it looks crowded.

Attachments

• Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_52-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_52-U.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 341
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_68-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_68-U.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 350
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_49-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_49-U.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 497
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_55-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_55-U.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 328
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_72-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_72-U.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 504
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_54-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_54-U.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 315
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_66-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_66-U.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 235
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_64-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_64-U.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_59-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_59-U.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 274
  • Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_48-U.jpg
    Bulgaria_Visit_Denmark_48-U.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 286
Are there pictures of Cpss Mary at the gala from UK Press??
I would love to see pictures of Cpss Mary like the ones of Pss Alexandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom