Relationships between the Members of the Danish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jellybeans

Commoner
City
Santa Cruz
Country
United States
Does anyone here know what kind of relationship does Mary have with Queen Margrethe?

From news reports of the christening preparations, pretty contentious at times.

Lady Bluffton said:
From news reports of the christening preparations, pretty contentious at times.

I've never heard this. What do you mean?

Do you mean that they were at odds during the christening preparations?

what happend during the christening preparation?

I thought they had a pretty nice relationship. Although in such big events like a christening, we could all get a little tense.

Oh for goodness sake will someone please tell us what went on during the christening?

Nothing went on during the christening preparations.

Gossip magazines just made up a story that Margrethe was hurt because it was Mary who prepared the christening and not she herself.
Total nonsense if you ask me.

I would say they have a good relationship.
Mary & Frederik & Christian were with QMII on the balcony at her birthday (and stayed with her for Easter) and they visited her in private when she was in hospital for her knee surgery. And so on.
So, I would say they have a very normal family relationship.

I totally agree with Ricarda. They seem to have a very nice relationship going on. The Queen seems to be a very down to earth person and a very loving and generous person. I see where there could/would be some tense moments or misunderstandings, it's normal between wives and mothers-in-law. But in general they seem to get along well and the Queen seems to be leaving the up-bringing of Christian (and the other two grand-sons) up to their parents. So, I doubt there is any real sort of conflict there.

I had read someone on this site that QMII was upset with the way that Mary planned the christening...some row about colors and flower selection. From what I read (can't remember where or who posted), they were miffed...true, don't know.

I think Queen Margrethe and Crown Princess Mary have a very normal in-law relationship. I would guess they mostly get along but I'm sure sometimes they may not always agree and that's when Frederick may become the go-between.

Lady Bluffton said:
I had read someone on this site that QMII was upset with the way that Mary planned the christening...some row about colors and flower selection. From what I read (can't remember where or who posted), they were miffed...true, don't know.

There has been nothin about that in the Danish, or orther medias, that I have seen. And they are not likely to ignore such a rumor, are they?

Yes, I heard that too that the Queen wanted either different color flowers for the christening or different flowers. Something to that affect.

I'm sure it is not easy for Mary. I mean, some of her and Fred's vacations are spent with his parents. I don't know if I could do that year in and year out, as well as the Christmas holiday. But, Mary has given up much of her freedom, but that was her choice so she obviously thought she could handle it or at least because of her love for Fred.

soCal girl said:
I think Queen Margrethe and Crown Princess Mary have a very normal in-law relationship. I would guess they mostly get along but I'm sure sometimes they may not always agree and that's when Frederick may become the go-between.

I second that. Just the way it works in most families. Taking your mother-in-law on a holiday once a year or celebrating Christmas with her doesn't necessarily mean that problems automatically arise. If they would, my family would have been a mess by now. If we go somewhere, half of the time my grandmother is with us. :p Sometimes she drives us crazy, sometimes she doesn't, but we all love her anyway. So I guess this is the same with Mary and the Queen. They'll probably disagree from time to time (which is healthy, I think), but I don't think that something so unsignificant as the colors of some stupid flowers is the reason to claim that there is some tension in their relationship. And what do we actually know about it? As long as none of them gives a scandalous interview about the other to the press, we know nothing of the matter... ;)

I would add, too, that I think the Queen has been pretty open and flexible to changes on Mary's behalf in how she goes about her role as Crown Princess, whether they were initiated by Mary or not, I don't know, but some of the things Mary has done couldn't have occured without consent of the Queen.

For example, at the beginning of the year Mary held her own New Year's ceremony for her patronages rather than attend one with the Queen, Henrik and Frederik for their patronages. At the time there was a lot of ink spilt about Mary going against tradition but also praise about Mary doing something unique as CP and modernizing things and that surely she wouldn't have forged ahead with her own gathering without approval by the Queen.

:eek: I think they have pretty good relationship. But it has been Magrethes arena for quite some time....might have difficulty handing the reigns over once in a while?
But hey, who hasnt had a tiff with their mother in law? :D

i would agree with posts but HM Queen wanted help Mary for planning christening of their baby son Christian but Mary wanted handles on their planning than mother-in-law i would understand of Mary what she wanted it.

but she bring baby christian to trips without knowledges but im sure Mary wanted be as 100% caring baby than nanny like any royals mothers wanted to care of baby when parents was away and who cares of Christian but she wanted kept baby than no helping with in-laws but i dont blame Mary because she is mother and she can give her baby as breastfeed when gone to trips.

I think all families have their up and down times. Most of the time things will be fine. Royal families are like no other, except for the titles, the crowns, tiaras and palaces.

Lady Bluffton said:
If you can't present any evidence that this is true I think this line of speculation should be removed.

It's really tasteless to suggest the Queen would go ballistic just because of a flower arrangement :ermm:

Relationship between Crown Princess Mary & Queen Margrethe

I was wondering how good/bad is relationship between Mary & Margrethe. I've read that Margrethe seems to be quite strict and powerful. Also Margrethe seems to be interested in history, art and so on, but Mary has learned economics. I just think that they are quite different people but personally I think that their relationship may be quite good. What do you think?
(I'm sorry if this thread have been previously somewhere in this forum).

I think all families have their up and down times. Most of the time things will be fine. Royal families are like no other, except for the titles, the crowns, tiaras and palaces.
Also, considering they don't really "have" the tiaras and crowns, everything else is pretty normal, I guess, for their economic class of society: big palatial residences and titles are just "normal" for them and all of their friends. And some super-wealthy people even have bodyguards, even if they aren't famous, especially for the kids. It might not be exactly "normal" to have bodyguards (if you're not like "Brangelina et al"). But I guess we all have aspects of our lives that are a bit freaky and abnormal. ;)
But on topic, I'd say that I agree with most posts here. Mary seems to get on well with the whole family. There are times when she looks a little tense. I think she worries a lot about how she appears. Maybe she's a little vain, but mostly I think she is a perfectionist. Perfectionist people look tense a lot, and most of them don't have cameras in their faces ready for the ultimate 'nose pick' moment. -;-)

Last edited:
Thanks you for your post BurberryBrit. However, I think it's a little early to pass judgement on their relationship, and we should give them some time before making a decision especially one based on just a few pictures. I think there will be plenty of future occasions where we will be able to observe both women in action such as the pre-wedding events and the wedding itself, and don't forget the many post-wedding events when we can observe the new Princess Marie interacting with the Crown Princess.

Photos like photos. Nothing special.

We should waite year or half if we want to say something more about relationships of these ladies. Now all looks happy and nice.

Last edited:
I have to agree with both of you ladies. It will be interesting to watch as time passes as to just how they Will act towards each other! I am certain that Mary will act as she always does, classy and regal. As for Marie, well she hasn't had the experience that The CP has had. Definately something to look forward to...

I hope we could get to see both working together! Having events together!That will be really nice!

Hopefully, they will be sources of friendship for each other. I'm sure both ladies would like to have someone to discuss concerns and fun things. So they dont feel so alone in the family. What im trying to say is that they could look out for each other, cos lets face it, any royal family is daunting, especially for two commoners who married into the family!

perhaps we need to wait a bit more to judge this. i doubt both ladies know each other much yet!

the weekend together was a nice initial approach.

Most likely we will never know what relationship the two women have. Surely none of them will talk in public what they think about each other.

Back
Top Bottom