Relationships between the Members of the Danish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doesn't anybody else find it quite telling that Mary and Fred were completely left out of the picture at the engagement? There were no pix of a cp couple attending an engagement dinner, lunch or even a big party...
There weren't pic of them before.
Marie evaded questions about Mary at the interview, claiming she wouldn't know Mary well enough. And she was very short about that.
And suddenly after there has been speculation about the relationship, there is "secret" weekend to which (mysteriously) the press was "invited".
Am I the only one who woke up and smell the coffee?

Alexandra - Mary - Marie

To which Princess (Alexandra or Marie) do you think is the relation to Crown Princess Mary the best? Was or is she more friendly to Alexandra or Marie? Is she still in contact with Alexandra?

I would say that Crown Princess Mary was too short the sister in law of Alexandra to develop a deep friendship or a very warm relationship with her. Mary and Marie also don´t know each other for a very long time. So I think that they aren´t friends at the moment but maybe or hopefully they will develop a strong relationship to each other.;)

Doesn't anybody else find it quite telling that Mary and Fred were completely left out of the picture at the engagement? There were no pix of a cp couple attending an engagement dinner, lunch or even a big party...
There weren't pic of them before.
Marie evaded questions about Mary at the interview, claiming she wouldn't know Mary well enough. And she was very short about that.
And suddenly after there has been speculation about the relationship, there is "secret" weekend to which (mysteriously) the press was "invited".
If you are you woke up too late :D
This has already been discussed in former threads and as numerous posters pointed out Joachim and Marie' engagement announcement was not about Frederik and Mary - just as Frederik and Mary's engagement announcement was not about Joachim and Alexandra who were not included in the official pics either - just as Joachim and Alexandra's engagement announcement way back was not about Frederik either.
The royal engagements in DK are about the couple who have just announced their engagement - and then their parents are included in a couple of photos. Wait for the wedding photos and enjoy the sight of all siblings of the married couple (have some coffee in the meantime ;))

Most likely we will never know what relationship the two women have. Surely none of them will talk in public what they think about each other.
I agree with you! Almoust all royals ussualy don't speak about such private issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/Joachim/schack/th_127295port.jpg

Does Schackenborg still have the combined monogram of Joachim and Alexandra? I can't tell... Will Joachim's monogram change to intertwine an M in there for Marie?
It looks that thre's still J&A. I think...

kittiegirlie said:
I would say that Crown Princess Mary was too short the sister in law of Alexandra to develop a deep friendship or a very warm relationship with her. Mary and Marie also don´t know each other for a very long time. So I think that they aren´t friends at the moment but maybe or hopefully they will develop a strong relationship to each other.;)
Don't forget about this quite long time before Mary and Fred's wedding. I think that they has time to know more or less each other.

Most likely we will never know what relationship the two women have. Surely none of them will talk in public what they think about each other.

you don't need them talking. any other activities or gestures can indicate how close (or not) they are. letizia never spoke about her sisters-in-law, but she visited cristina in barcelona and meet them when they come to madrid for dinner (already a couple of times) and visited elena and jaime in their residence a couple of times (they also mentioned that letizia went to see elena because she got some dress made from a designer who had his shop right next to elena's house). she also took their children out and about. she never spoke, but we know they have a good relation and see each other often.

maxima and laurentien were seen out together while on holiday and mary and alexandra went to a fashion show together. perhaps we will see the same sort of activities between mary and marie.

I hope that the ladies can get along well, and I'm glad that Marie and Mary maybe got to know each other better in this weekend.

I think it might be nice for Mary to have someone so close to her age that also lives in the same "glass" house. Mary will always be the CP, that will not be taken away from her. Why should she be jealous of Marie. Remember how close Diana and Sarah were. At times they only had each other when things were going so bad.

It would be nice to see a video of the photo session. Does anyone know a link?

I agree with you. I also have a little problem with the combination of the headline: "Secret weekend together" and the picture, where you can see that they are posing in front of the photographers. It seems to be half-official and not secret or private.

The press was invited but only two or three pictures where taken, that is veryyyy wierd!

Was the press invited? Somehow I don't think so - and only one or two pics would indeed be strange then.

Well I read somewhere that the press was invited, but maybe they took some pictures asn send them to the press. I really don't know becxause only a few pictures where release and even Isabella wasn't there!

Has CP Mary ever been to Schackenborg Palace before ? When CP Mary became engaged Alex & Joachim were in the process of spliting up so its doubtful they would have invited guests at that time. After the divorce Prince Joachim was rather at loose-ends until Marie, so probably wasn't inviting guests.

May I ask: Lives Prince Joachim permanent in Schackenborg? Where do his sons go to school?
Isn't it easier - for Crownprince Frederik and his wife - to meet Prince Joachim and Marie in Kopenhagen?

May I ask: Lives Prince Joachim permanent in Schackenborg? Where do his sons go to school?
Isn't it easier - for Crownprince Frederik and his wife - to meet Prince Joachim and Marie in Kopenhagen?

Joachim lives at Schackenborg, with a flat in Amalienborg in Copenhagen. Felix and Nikolai both attend, respectively, kindergarten and school in Copenhagen.

Denmark isn't the hugest country in the world, so going from Copenhagen to Schackenborg shouldn't be very time consuming. Probably nice to get a weekend in the province.

Joachim lives at Schackenborg, with a flat in Amalienborg in Copenhagen. Felix and Nikolai both attend, respectively, kindergarten and school in Copenhagen.

Denmark isn't the hugest country in the world, so going from Copenhagen to Schackenborg shouldn't be very time consuming. Probably nice to get a weekend in the province.

Thanks!
Yes I know, that Denmark isn't the hugest country in the world.
1 1/2 hour from Rødbyhavn till Helsingør... ;)
I just mean: If Prince Joachim lives also in Copenhagen - why wrote the press, that it is sooooo special, that they meet each other. They probably see each other every week... in Copenhagen...
Of course it is nice to get to Schackenborg. I know - it is nice there...
I just have a little problem with the media and the headlines.

Has CP Mary ever been to Schackenborg Palace before ? When CP Mary became engaged Alex & Joachim were in the process of spliting up so its doubtful they would have invited guests at that time. After the divorce Prince Joachim was rather at loose-ends until Marie, so probably wasn't inviting guests.

I have looked thru various Forum/Boards and as yet have not found any mention of CP Mary every being a guest at Schackenborg Palace. Have any of you found she has been a guest or is this her first time ????

I haven't found any photos that would verify that she was a guest Schackenborg prior to this recent trip.

Nonetheless, I'm going to assume tha perhaps she has; without the press knowing, essentially a private visit.

Well I read somewhere that the press was invited, but maybe they took some pictures asn send them to the press. I really don't know becxause only a few pictures where release and even Isabella wasn't there!

About this "one" picture (© HELLO http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2007/11/22/marie-joachim-mary/imgs/danish-royals-1a.jpg) a German newspaper wrote, that Crownprincess Mary was very angry about the fact, the Marie adored Crownprincess Frederik (as you can see on the picture). Funny story - isn't it? ;)

Last edited:
Interesting picture.
I can imagine that somebody who doesn´t know Frederik, Joachim, Mary and Marie would think that Frederik and Marie are the couple who are going to get married in May....Haha
But I don´t believe that Mary would be angry with this specific photo.

To which Princess (Alexandra or Marie) do you think is the relation to Crown Princess Mary the best? Was or is she more friendly to Alexandra or Marie? Is she still in contact with Alexandra?

I think Mary didn´t have enough time to develop a sort of friendship with Alexandra.
Although Mary and Marie resemble each other quite much in their appearance, I can observe that their personalities are very different. I think they would have a friendly relationship, treat each other like normal sistes-in-law would do, but I don´t think they would become close friends due to the discrepance of their characters. Here I mean that kind of friends with whom you can share happiness and sorrows and you can always run to her when you are frustrated.

Interesting picture.
I can imagine that somebody who doesn´t know Frederik, Joachim, Mary and Marie would think that Frederik and Marie are the couple who are going to get married in May....Haha
But I don´t believe that Mary would be angry with this specific photo.

She isn't angry with this photo, she is angry (this is not my opinion, it was the opinion of the writer of the article I mentioned) because Frederik and Marie were so close...

Ohh gimme a break about all these silly stories that each and every 3rd grade gossip magazine invent about royals and celebrities being aaaaangry if they don't show all their teeth at the camera :bang: - sorry not directed at anyone but these stories are just so ----- silly :cool:

Yer, it does get a bit much doesn't it, UserDane...;)

Nothing to report so let's make it up instead = sad!

Well, that is the way some parts of the press are working for centuries now, though the segment is growing rapidly the last decades, so... Sad indeed but it sells, which is the most important thing to these publishers. Especially the German rags are close to the rediculous, if I would have believed them Maxima for example would have had 20 children by now and she would have burried 5 of them already!

Last edited:
20 children? Burried 5? No wonder the woman's got a few lifelines...:lol::ROFLMAO:

I never give credence to anything magazines have to say. There have been things spoken about my employer in Australian and French magazines that I know to be pure invention. You learn to have a laugh about it, infact, I think you have to in most cases. When the ledger is pushed then enough's enough but otherwise see it off with a smile and wave.

Marie and her relationships with other members of the DRF

In the thread about the lead-up to the wedding, Rebafan81 said:

I saw someone say that they didn't think Marie and Mary would be the best of friends, is that because of Mary or Marie? I never thought Alex and Mary had anything in common and maybe Marie and Mary would be better friends.

I dont really think that it is necessary for them to be friends as such, I think that what would be good though is for them to get along well (which there is at least some suggestion of, as Mary organised the party for Marie didnt she?), to support each other (this could mean Mary helping out with things such as Marie's Danish lessons, and adjusting to the media attention and official duties - or alternatively giving Marie more space to find her own way 'herself') and just generally behave in ways which are condusive to a great (extended) family relationship.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom