Queen Margrethe's Golden Jubilee Celebrations 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, the Omikron strain has now hit Europe in sufficient numbers that it will IMO be very optimistic to think it can be contained now.
I fear that's too late.

And if we give the new strain about a month to really start taking effect, that will clash with the New Year Courts as well as QMII's Golden Jubilee.

I think we must prepare ourselves for the fact that both series of events will at the very least be scaled down or perhaps cancelled altogether.
I can't see royals flying in while there is a perhaps critical increase of people infected with the Omikron strain both in DK and in the other European monarchies. Nor can I see the health authorities being happy about crowd-events as QMII's jubilee will be.

It's gonna be a long winter, with now very little pomp and circumstance, I predict.

She just has no luck with these things, does she?

Should that come pass then it's finally time for HM to record some craft lessons and release them on the Internet.

:previous: I'm pretty serious about this, but surely the best anniversary present she could have is for the realm to be peaceful and safe, right? (It will be equally depressing if it drags into summer and affects Elizabeth's celebration, never fear.)

It will of course be a huge disappointment for her, but as you say the safety of the people comes first.
And with the virologist already at work, estimating it will take about 100 days to modify the current vaccines to the new strain, there is always QMII's birthday in April to celebrate.

It sure will be interesting to learn what she has to say in her New Year speech this year!

- I think there is a good chance QEII's anniverssary can be celebrated - perhaps a little scaled down but nevertheless celebrated by the public.

Welp, when she was born she gave great joy at a time when things were just about this bad and uncertain, so perhaps certain people (who find themselves under royal stars, no less) really do have a kind of fate.

Would it be possible that the celebrations are postponed to say June/July if they can't take place in January. Or is that unlikely. Perhaps it would have best to have them planned for a different time of the year, like the british Jubilee Celebrations altogether. But i know that is not the way the Danes do it.

Another exhibition

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW0Q0O4AYJi/

Would it be possible that the celebrations are postponed to say June/July if they can't take place in January. Or is that unlikely. Perhaps it would have best to have them planned for a different time of the year, like the british Jubilee Celebrations altogether. But i know that is not the way the Danes do it.

I doubt anything would have been planned for June 2022 as that is when QEII is celebrating her jubilee which is pretty much history making of 70 years on the throne. And from what I understand her jubilee is done around the anniversary of her coronation (June 2, 1953) and NOT the date of the actual ascension to the throne (February 6, 1952) because for her the ascension is actually a sad day as it is the anniversary of her father's passing. Therefore, any celebration of her reign is done in the month the coronation happened. Which I prefer tbh as I've never understood having a huge celebration on the same day as the death of your parent. Why don't the DRF have an actual coronation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which I prefer tbh as I've never understood having a huge celebration on the same day as the death of your parent.

For the same reason Edward VII ordered the flag on the royal yacht raised to full-staff when they were taking his mother's body from Osborne to the mainland. "The Queen is dead, Sir." “But the King of England is alive."

Continuity.

Why don't the DRF have an actual coronation?

The British are the only ones in Europe who do have a coronation. They've fallen out of favor everywhere else, probably due to not wanting to flaunt their crowns given how the neighbors have sent the other monarchs packing.

Also they have the coronations when they can plan for better weather. You can't plan the other things.

Last edited:
For the same reason Edward VII ordered the flag on the royal yacht raised to full-staff when they were taking his mother's body from Osborne to the mainland. "The Queen is dead, Sir." “But the King of England is alive."

Continuity.

The British are the only ones in Europe who do have a coronation. They've fallen out of favor everywhere else, probably due to not wanting to flaunt their crowns given how the neighbors have sent the other monarchs packing.

Also they have the coronations when they can plan for better weather. You can't plan the other things.

One thing is raising a flag and declaring a transition has occurred and another is a full on party on the anniversary of said transition knowing why that transition occurred in the first place. I'll stand by my opinion on that as the point I was making was overlooked. There's a huge difference.

And not wanting to flaunt the crown? Aren't some expecting golden carriages and portions of crown jewels to be worn during the celebrations? I'm confused how that isn't any less "flaunting" to use the same term.

No, there isn't a "huge difference". If you only have one date to celebrate, then there's only one date to celebrate. British Jubilees are planned around the coronations but all reigns are dated from ascensions, like it or not.

Perhaps someone else will answer your questions more to your liking.

Last edited:
No, there isn't a "huge difference". If you only have one date to celebrate, then there's only one date to celebrate. Jubilees are planned around the coronations but reigns are dated from ascensions, like it or not.

Perhaps someone else will answer your questions more to your liking.

I don't need that. My opinion is what it is and I was expressing it and my views. Apologies if that was not to people's liking. I wasn't asking nor looking for agreement. If people don't agree that's fine. Again, just expressing my point of view. I would think that would be okay.

Last edited:
I don't need that. My opinion is what it is and I was expressing it and my views. Apologies if that was not to people's liking. I wasn't asking nor looking for agreement. If people don't agree that's fine. Again, just expressing my point of view. I would think that would be okay.

Your opinion was expressed clearly and I appreciate you sharing it. :flowers:

I think you are both right in a sense.

It is of course a celebration of the monarchy and more specifically a reign.
That is happens on the day of the death of the old previous monarch is only natural, simply because that's just how it was. - The king is dead, long live the king - but not until the king is dead...

Nowadays, there is the option of an abdication. So far it's mainly the Dutch who have a system of "retiring off" their monarchs. In most other monarchies the monarch abdicate for health reasons or because they have become a political liability.
However, I think more and more will adopt the Dutch system, so that the transition will be a happy day, rather than a day of grief. A day the heir (hopefully) doesn't look forward to.
People, including monarchs, live longer lives. Why shouldn't they be allowed to retire and look (hopefully) with pride and joy that the next generation takes over.

Under the current system QMII will know that Frederik will be grief-stricken the day he takes over. She won't be able to offer advise or support, should he need it.
She won't be able to see how he will handle various situations.
She could devote herself, with good conscience, to her passion of archeology and scenography full time while being delighted and proud at her son and daughter-in-law.

So a change within the monarchies will IMO take place, or we will se a row of Prince Charles'er - i.e. being heirs well into retirement age and past their prime, during this century.

Such a transition-day could be planned according to the weather. ;)
Say 15th June. That's Valdemar's Day here in DK. The birthday of our flag, Dannebrog. What better day to change the monarch?

Your opinion was expressed clearly and I appreciate you sharing it. :flowers:

Thank you! ❤️

I think you are both right in a sense.

It is of course a celebration of the monarchy and more specifically a reign.
That is happens on the day of the death of the old previous monarch is only natural, simply because that's just how it was. - The king is dead, long live the king - but not until the king is dead...

Nowadays, there is the option of an abdication. So far it's mainly the Dutch who have a system of "retiring off" their monarchs. In most other monarchies the monarch abdicate for health reasons or because they have become a political liability.
However, I think more and more will adopt the Dutch system, so that the transition will be a happy day, rather than a day of grief. A day the heir (hopefully) doesn't look forward to.
People, including monarchs, live longer lives. Why shouldn't they be allowed to retire and look (hopefully) with pride and joy that the next generation takes over.

Under the current system QMII will know that Frederik will be grief-stricken the day he takes over. She won't be able to offer advise or support, should he need it.
She could devote herself, with good conscience, to her passion of archeology and scenography full time while being delighted and proud at her son and daughter-in-law.

So a change within the monarchies will IMO take place, or we will se a row of Prince Charles'er - i.e. being heirs well into retirement age and past their prime, during this century.

Say 15th June. That's Valdemar's Day here in DK. The birthday of our flag, Dannebrog. What better day to change the monarch?

I completely agree with you. Not only the image of Frederik in grief, but Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine as well.

Was it not the Dutch King that at some point made mention how he had his mother as an advisor and support and Frederik would never have that?

I will stop there.

Last edited by a moderator:

I suppose Margrethe can look at her friend Trixie and ask herself if she wants that, or not (not that it's really up to her, of course). But she probably wouldn't be getting a Golden Jubilee if it were an option. I was also somewhat under the impression that however much she loves the other parts of her life, she still quite enjoys being HM Dronningen and doesn't really want to go anywhere.

She may very well be The Last in not retiring, though.

I suppose Margrethe can look at her friend Trixie and ask herself if she wants that, or not (not that it's really up to her, of course). But she probably wouldn't be getting a Golden Jubilee if it were an option. I was also somewhat under the impression that however much she loves the other parts of her life, she still quite enjoys being HM Dronningen and doesn't really want to go anywhere.

I highly doubt that any of the three Scandinavian monarchs will abdicate. If Carl Gustav hasn't abdicate yet, I can't see what scandal would be big enough for him to leave his throne.

I highly doubt that any of the three Scandinavian monarchs will abdicate. If Carl Gustav hasn't abdicate yet, I can't see what scandal would be big enough for him to leave his throne.

No, I don't think any of them will (Margrethe likes it, Harald is soldered on there and takes "Alt for Norge" extremely literally, and I got the sense CG at this point is actually attempting to do Victoria the major kindness of letting her raise her children without having to be the monarch — otherwise he'd probably happily step down).

There are no more guarantees after this generation, though.

Oh, I'm absolutely certain she fully enjoys being Queen. :D

She can pretty much pick and choose and there is M&F to take the hard and boring jobs - and a lot of the focus as well.

On the other hand there is also the consideration to M&F to look at. Just about now is where they are fully in their prime and also seen by an increasing number of the population as the de facto regent couple. Especially the younger generations. So why not give them the reins?
She can still attend all the major bling-bling events with gowns and all, but here more as a spectator.
Keep in mind how immensely Queen Ingrid was respected up until her death. And she very much remained a part of the royal road-show. So an abdicated QMII may step back, but hardly fade away into obscurity.
QMII will go down in history, not only as the first Danish female Monarch, but a successful, hugely respected and popular Monarch as well.

Whatever can be said about QMII, she is a wise woman and not inconsiderate, so I would be surprised if the thought hasn't crossed her mind.

Having a golden jubilee and then stepping back is a fine time to do and to do it with style. She would step back when she's on the top.
Rather than being seen to clinging on to the throne while looking at the photos in the papers of a grey-haired Frederik now using a walking stick, in an article suggesting Christian takes over next, bypassing his dad.

One should always know when it's time to go...
But few do.

Knowing that many will disagree with me, I wish her one heck of a jubilee and a rapturous birthday followed by Frederik taking over next year.

A happy day. For QMII, for the children, for the family and for Frederik.

There has only been one abdication in Danish history, (in the 1200s. The king became lame, a stroke?) but someone has to be the first to retire. Everything new has to happen for the first time.

As recently as a year or so ago, Margrethe said that she sees being queen as a job for life, and she won't abdicate unless health reasons prevent her from fulfilling her duties. She's been consistent in saying this for almost 50 years now.

With all her recent projects, including the upcoming film, it would be strange for her to say, "I'm not up to being queen...and I have this great new deal with Netflix!"

Is working on films part of the job duties? Should Frederik start learning how to sew costumes?

I agree with the entirety of Muhler's post above. When was the last time it wasn't Frederik and Mary handling the state visits for example?

There would be zero shame in there being a realization that it is time to move the monarchy forward with a CPC in their prime and extremely popular. I don't believe that anyone would look down the QMII or think less of her if she made a decision to step aside and allow Frederik and Mary to fully take over. In many ways they act like the regent couple anyway and it would not shock me if the younger generation somewhat see them as that.

When I watched all the celebrations for Frederik's 50th I was expecting that to be when a transition would happen. He was celebrated like a monarch would be imo.

Sometimes there's more honor in knowing when to pass the torch than clinging on to something...especially when the successor is beyond ready and doing the heavy lifting anyway.

:previous:

That is true and perhaps she means - or meant - it.
However, it is most unlikely that she would even hint at retiring before everything was in place and ready to be rolled out.

Otherwise the media-world here in DK would explode! There would be nothing else on the news for at least a week! And everybody form QMII herself, the government down to the duck employed by the municipalities to swim in the ponds in the parks would be asked their opinion.
And there would be a huge argument, with some advocating that QMII should stay on, because Frederik is this and that...
Others saying it's about time and why can't she bow out tomorrow?

A retirement-abdication would be announced by QMII herself, when she and everything is ready and when she chooses to do so.
Right up to that moment she would stick to her old explanation - it's for life. Or as she has also suggested, health prevents her from fulfilling that duty.

After all it came as a bomb when PH's retirement was announced. And being consort that also used to be for life as well - regardless of health.
We now know there were good reasons for that announcement. But it showed that retirement is possible, it is an option.

That's why I consider placing a bet of QMII announcing her retirement in her New Year speech this year. It's a neat timing, so to speak.

I don't understand the problem. It is not and has never been a celebration of Frederik IX's death but a celebration of QMII's reign. A reign that was initiated with Frederik IX's passing. Sad but also the reality for most hereditary monarchies.

Let us please get back to the topic of this thread: the upcoming celebrations for Queen Margrethe‘s Golden Jubilee and not a possible abdication. If you wish to discuss the abdication topic, please use the „The Future of the Danish Monarchy“ thread instead, where the topic has already been discussed at great length. Thank you.

So, with the cancellations of the New Years Courts this morning, it is highly possible (even probable) that the larger events connected to the jubilee will either be revised, scaled down considerably or cancelled altogether I assume. Would the bigger events be moved to let's say April around her birthday and just do a combination event?

So, with the cancellations of the New Years Courts this morning, it is highly possible (even probable) that the larger events connected to the jubilee will either be revised, scaled down considerably or cancelled altogether I assume. Would the bigger events be moved to let's say April around her birthday and just do a combination event?

The question is if April is safe enough to hold the bigger Events. The best would probably move them to Summer like July

:previous:

Also published on the main website:

Based on the latest developments in the corona situation and the health authorities' recommendations, the Royal House is postponing the major celebrations on the occasion of the upcoming 50th Government Anniversary. Her Majesty the Queen still wants a festive celebration where the Danes can participate, and has therefore decided to move most of the events planned for January to the late summer of 2022.

The postponed events are: The Queen's anniversary press conference, the change of guard at Amalienborg Castle Square, where the Queen and the royal family appear on the balcony, lunch at Copenhagen City Hall, gala performance at Gamle Scene in the Royal Theater, festive service in Copenhagen Cathedral, Our Lady's Church, and gala dinner at Christiansborg Castle. New dates for the postponed events will be announced in the new year.

On the anniversary day itself, 14 January, individual events will be attempted. This includes the Council of State, reception in the Folketing and wreath-laying at Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid's grave at Roskilde Cathedral. Further information will be announced at the beginning of January (..)

** kongehuset: Udsættelse af planlagte fejringer i anledning af H.M. Dronningens Regeringsjubilæum **

Another wise decision to move it to a later date and inline with public health guidelines.

Those cancellations are not surprising given today's announcements by the Denmark Prime Minister.

Would Mary's 50th birthday events be concerned as well in February ?

Very happy to hear that the jubilee celebrations are postponed rather than cancelled altogether like QMII's 80th birthday celebrations. I'm also not gonna miss Amalienborg's courtyard on a freezing January day :D

Unfortunately I do fear Mary's birthday celebrations – namely the gala dinner – may end up suffer the 80th birthday treatment though. Seems pretty unfathomable that the situation would improve drastically in two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom