Princess Mary & Princess Benedikte Visit Aachen, Germany: June 24-25, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A shoestore...
You will notice the tired look and slumping shoulders of the gentlemen accompanying Mary inside the store. - A default reaction by any married man upon entering a shoestore. :p

----------------

Yes, a good pic.

Mary really is very fond of horses. Here is another pic for comparison from some years back, where she for a moment forgot all about cameras and being on the job: https://www.box.com/s/e13sb9vp7sevnkelzt3r

Last edited:
You may think I'm cynical. I'm not, in fact I'm very pleased indeed that the DRF (and not least Mary) are used as such very efficient tools for promoting DK.
Benefitting Australia too BTW, as each time Mary show her face abroad the word Australia pops up in the back of the mind of people seeing her.

I agree, IMO this what a royal family is about, representing their countries.

this is a beautiful pic:flowers:

picture of Mary yesterday, without the white coat
http://24.media.tumblr.com/875c0e34fc7aa3c2e5aacef8a5a99066/tumblr_moytehNpdV1sq4lwho10_250.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to everyone for the wonderful pics. The International Horse Show looks great with so many interesting things going on. It is lovely to see two Royal ladies who share the same passion for horses enjoying each others company and the show. I think Princess Benedikte is a wonderful Ambassador for Denmark and she and the Crown Princess are a class act together. Good to see dear Roger Moore looking so well, he must be in his eighties by now.

A shoestore...
You will notice the tired look and slumping shoulders of the gentlemen accompanying Mary inside the store. - A default reaction by any married man upon entering a shoestore. :p

----------------

Yes, a good pic.

Mary really is very fond of horses. Here is another pic for comparison from some years back, where she for a moment forgot all about cameras and being on the job: https://www.box.com/s/e13sb9vp7sevnkelzt3r

Muhler! you are spot on about the shoestore, even though the crown princess seems to be more interested in the (yet another?) handbags:lol: As a point of interest, do you know whether the crown princess was able to follow the tour in German (tsyk in Danish, I think) or would her hosts have to try their English (always a challenge in Germany:whistling:)?

Muhler! you are spot on about the shoestore, even though the crown princess seems to be more interested in the (yet another?) handbags:lol: As a point of interest, do you know whether the crown princess was able to follow the tour in German (tsyk in Danish, I think) or would her hosts have to try their English (always a challenge in Germany:whistling:)?

Yes, over the years I've come to realise that woman simply cannot have too many handbags or shoes. A fact of life...:)

Anyway, no, I don't think Mary speaks more than a few words of German/tysk/deutch, judging from a visit to the German minority in DK just a few years ago.
However, the Minister for (economic) Growth, Annette Wilhelmsen, who accompanied Mary, probably don't either. Members of that party are infamous for their deficient language skills... (The Foreign Minister, Villy Schlafenthal aka Villy Sleepvally's language skills springs to mind).
The minister was the woman in red, with the grey cropped hair seen near Mary in the Landtag. Looking every bit like the political non-entity she has been reduced to, even though she is head of a government party. - Politics can be very brutal.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #26, 2013.
To på toppen - Two on the top.
Written by our Germany correspondent Marianne Singer.

This covers the first part of the visit.
As you know Mary and Benedikte have been invited by the PM for Nordrhein-Westfalen, Hannelore Kraft.
The theme of this the annual and biggest equestrian fair in world in Aachen, is Denmark. And all sails were set in promoting DK as much and as favorable as possible, as a prelude to DK hosting a large equestrian competition in the town of Herning in August. - Perhaps Mary will be there as well?

After the Danish delegation with Mary in front had been shown around at the Landtag, it was time for a short breather at the posh hotel Quellendorf.
Before going to the townhall for an official welcome and signing the guestbook ceremony.
Then outside on the bacony for a pre-show. Consisting of the Music Corps of the Royal Lifeguard, the Guards Hussars, Aachen Stadtreiter and Danish gymnasts. A long, delightful and pretty cold show, because it was quite chilly! Benedikte wrapped her red cape around her while Mary held out a little longer before bottonning up her coat. Then inside for a bit of warmth and a drink.
Mary wore sand colored sandals adorned with rivets. Her jewellery, including the hair-clasp-thingy was from Marianne Dulong.
Her hairdresser, Søren Heedegaard had done her hair. - So he must have gone with her.

The next day it was off for a tour of the city, because it wasn't just about promoting DK, the good citizens of Aachen were also interested in showing off their city and as Mary gets a good deal of coverage...so much the better.
They admired wonderfully decorated windows, one of them with an Aachen specialty, Aachen Pinten, which is a kind of honey-cakes, in this case made as a special tribute to DK and the DRF.
The group, in which also included Kiki Tholsturp married to Roger Moore, also admired a reproduction of a Krøyer painting made from LEGO bricks. - Unfortunately there isn't a clear photo of that in the article.

Because the theme this year is Denmark, the main attraction at the CHIO horse event is the Danish Village, which Mary and Benedikte naturally also visited. Here Mary said: "I think I have been given a really warm reception - also at the townhall square yesterday. It was really good and I was very proud to the Guards Hussars Regiment ride in and also to see the many things on offer tonight at the opening ceremony".

Princess Nathalie and her Alexander are also at CHIO.

Last edited:
Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #27, 2013.
Written by our mounted reporter Marianne singer.

This covers the last bit of Mary and Benedikte in Aachen.

To say that Princess Nathalie is crazy about horses would be the understatement of the year. Benedikte and Mary are up there too! (*)
There are not many guys now who get a kiss on the nose by Mary, however this is what happened to a guy named Akeem Foldager.
After visiting the Danish Village at CHIO Mary and the rest went to the Danish stables where Nathalie has her horses as well. And there he stood, dark, handsome and with deepbrown eyes. Akeem.
Looking out at all the commotion, Mary gently caressed his muzzle and after having been invited by his rider, Mary lept inside. Caressed and kissed his muzzle. Akeem obviously didn't mind and stayed calm. But a horse and hay and what not in such a box is not a good combination with neat clothes, and Mary was mindful of that because she had to continue with the shedule.
Mary explained: "I've had a passion for horses since I was a little girl".
Mary also visited Nathalie's Digby and talked horses - a lot!

But the big opening show was the day after. With Guards Hussars and Mary and Benedikte being transported in a royal carriagde from the 1840's all to the music of the Music Corps of the Royal Lifeguard. That was something the 38.000 spectators liked.
The whole thing was broadcast live of the German TV network and with additional 300.000 visitors to CHIO, it was a good day for Denmark PR wise.

Among those who entertained was this years winner of the Eurovison Song Contest, Emmelie de Forest. She too met Mary and Benedikte. She said: "I look very much forward to meeting the Crown Princess. I've really been a big fan of her, also when I was younger. I read about her in my moster (maternal aunt) Bente's BB. And I followed it closely when Frederik and Mary got married. I really think she's doing a great job for Denmark". (**)

(*) That may also explain a part of the obviously good rapport between them. A common passion.

(**) can't say I'm surprised. The town of Mariager, where Emmelie is from is located in northeast Jutland and that is hardcore monarchist country!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom