Princess Alexandra in Washington and New York: January 12-21, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually really liked the grey suite! Very very chic and the pattern interesting. I also liked the white outfit - eventhough the necklace with that white outfit reminded me of Mary's jewellery when Mary wore that ugly orangey/pink gown.

I'm not a fan of the blue suite though. I don't like fur in pastel colours - IMO it makes it look fake. I think I would have liked it more if it was white, or maybe if the fur was less fluffier.

Nice pictures! Thank you for posting them, Alexandria. :flower:

She is really beautiful and intelligent woman.

I came across this article on the Washington Post

At D.C. School, Royalty Comes Courting
Danish Princess, in U.S. to Promote Her Country, Dazzles Students in Northwest

By Sylvia Moreno
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 16, 2004; Page B03

Little girls fantasize they want to be one, and most fairy tales have one. Yesterday, a real live one came to visit Horace Mann Elementary School in the District.

Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra of Denmark toured the school in Northwest Washington to get a look at the U.S. educational system. No gown, no crown, no slippers. This was a modern-day princess, svelte in a two-piece raw silk suit by Danish designer Henrik Hviid and wearing brown suede high heels decorated with heart-shaped rhinestones.

She switched fluidly between Danish and English and got the royal treatment: curtsies all around, students and teachers in their party best, a bouquet of fresh blue and white hydrangea and a huge greeting card made by Jane Menell's first-graders.

"The Jumping Jaguars are happy to have you visit our class," the hand-painted card read in block letters. "We hope you enjoy your time at Horace Mann."

The second-graders were not quite so restrained. "Shhhhhh!" one little girl hissed at another as they sat on the floor of the school library and Alexandra stepped around piles of library books lined up on the floor. "That's the princess, dummy!"

The 39-year-old Alexandra arrived in Washington on Monday on a nine-day U.S. visit to "promote Danish culture and Danish awareness in Washington and, obviously, in the States in general," she said.

She described her first visit to the nation's capital as "action-packed." Her schedule included lunch at the State Department, the premier of the Danish Royal Ballet's "Napoli" at the Kennedy Center, tea with first lady Laura Bush, private tours of the White House and Capitol, and meetings and social functions at the home of the Danish ambassador, Ulrik Federspiel.

The princess is to go to New York today. As honorary president of UNICEF Denmark, she is to participate in the UNICEF executive board meeting.

Alexandra, who was born in Hong Kong to a Chinese father and Austrian mother, married Prince Joachim of Denmark in 1995. They have two sons, ages 4 and 1. She has special interests in children and education, said Danish Embassy officials, who set up the tour of the school, which has two Danish students.

Principal Sheila Ford said about 12 percent of Mann's 228 students are categorized as international, many the sons and daughters of diplomats or employees of international financial institutions. Twenty-three languages are spoken by students at Mann, which has been named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education three times.

Alexandra said she thought it was important to see how the school system functions because the city is so diverse.

"You have many different nationalities and cultures that are brought together under one roof in a school, and you've shown here today how they can harmonize together," she said. "The students, they all interact very well together."

The princess said she admired the school for helping children who enroll without knowing English become bilingual.

"The school makes a big effort to realize that that's one of its main priorities, that students can understand each other," Alexandra said. "That's vital in being able to play with each other and to look after each other."

The princess and a small entourage visited a few classrooms, the science lab and the library. She asked students to describe a typical day, whether they "loved" going to school and to talk about what they were studying.

"By the end of the year, we're supposed to know the whole world," said fifth-grader Amirah Abdullah as she paused while taking a social studies test. "Now we're on South Africa."

The princess left good impressions all around, winning the approval of even the youngest fashion mavens.

"She had pretty shoes, and she sounded nice," said Dinah Gordon, 6, who helped hand the princess her bouquet.

"It was good," said Hitomi Shimada, 7. "This was the best day."

At the school. The file isn't a JPEG, but a page, so just click to look.

Alexandra at Horace Mann Elementary

Here's her itinerary in New York.. part of it anyway.

Monday, 19 Jan - Princess Alexandra will attend the UNICEF meeting in the FN building in NY.

Tuesday 20 Jan - Lunch with UNICEF's general manager Carol Dellamy at 44th street.

Tuesday evening (6.30 - 800) the UNICEF committee have a reception at the restaurant Aquavit for Princess Alexandra (guest of honour)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a good think Alex didnt come this weekto NY it was about 0 degree, but now it's in the 30's.I'm going to try and somehow bump into her on the street, wish me luck!

Good luck Sky!
I love Alexandra's accessories. They always give her outfits just that extra bit of flair:)

I am just wondering how do they view/treat royalty in the US. As US is country that pride on its democracy values and not about kings/queens!!
I am also wondering does princess Alexandra still go backs to Hong Kong nowadays?

Originally posted by Duke@Jan 19th, 2004 - 2:01 am
I am just wondering how do they view/treat royalty in the US. As US is country that pride on its democracy values and not about kings/queens!!
I live in Canada, where we regonize Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II as our Head of State, but I do visit friends in the US often. From what I can tell most Americans perfer being a Republic, but they're obsessed with the British Royal Family. All the latest Royal Scandals always make the front pages of the Tabloids in the US.

not sure whether those were already posted.

and here at the UN

Attachments

• ch101205_guest.jpg
    ch101205_guest.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 315
  • ch101206_guest.jpg
    ch101206_guest.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,181
You are right Timtronruben359. We treat the British RF like our own. They make the front papers everday. Today I seen The first pictures of Lady Lousie in People Magazine. And I think pss. Alexandra goes back to HK every winter.

But why the obsession with the British RF? Then how about other RF?
Are the engagements of both the Crown Prince of Denmark and Spain covered in the US also?

Pictures from IBL

IBL

IBL

Attachments

• 00050802.jpg
    00050802.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 00050801.jpg
    00050801.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 648
  • 00050800.jpg
    00050800.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 298
Polfoto 19-01-2004. New York City-NY-USA. HRH Princess Alexandra of Denmark took a quick tour of the UN headquarters.

Polfoto 19-01-2004. New York City-NY-USA. HRH Princess Alexandra of Denmark took a quick tour of the UN headquarters.

Alexandra and the others around her do not look too happy to be at the UN on this day or they were bored at the time this picture was taken!

Polfoto 19-01-2004. New York City-NY-USA. HRH Princess Alexandra of Denmark poses in front of the United Nations building in New York, prior to attend the UNICEF Executive Board meeting.

Polfoto 19-01-2004. New York City-NY-USA. HRH Princess Alexandra of Denmark poses in front of the United Nations building in New York, prior to attend the UNICEF Executive Board meeting.

Attachments

• un_1.jpg
    un_1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 414
  • un_2.jpg
    un_2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 367
  • un_3.jpg
    un_3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 326
  • un_1.jpg
    un_1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 293
  • un_2.jpg
    un_2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 267
  • un.jpg
    un.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 353
  • unn.jpg
    unn.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 301
  • un.jpg
    un.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 277
  • new_york_cab.jpg
    new_york_cab.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 367
I must say that most of the time Alexandra has a fairly good fashion sense...but the suit in the last few photo's paired with the scarf made me cringe. The suit would have been fine without the scarf (even if I don't like the suit to begin with) but adding the scarf make it look way to busy!!!

I also don't like that color. Somehow lighter, brighter, and colorful dress or suit suited her, but when she chooses grey, dark brown, and black those old dawdy color, she looks older. I like her blue dress, light up her petite frame.

I think if she breaks the suit (the last one) and chooses coordinated solid color skirt, that would somehow tune up the old fashion sense. She is not following fashion much, I can tell.

I liked the outfit, the scarf I could see on maybe a different outfit. But at least it wasn't terribly awful. She still looked every inch a princess :)

She almost pulls off the horizontal stripes... almost. To me, even more cringe-worthy than the scarf is the coat. She looks lost in all that beige fabric... :ninja:

nice pictures especially the last 2 pictures of her in New York.

Well, I think she is already in Denmark now?

Does anyone know if many fans were out to see the Princess during this US visit? She is not well known in the US (she deserves to be!), so I suppose her experience here would be a bit different than at home. I hope she enjoyed it and feels she accomplished a great deal. I would have tried to see her but it was unusually (almost dangerously) cold weather during her visit.

Originally posted by Lady Jean@Jan 23rd, 2004 - 9:36 am
Does anyone know if many fans were out to see the Princess during this US visit? She is not well known in the US (she deserves to be!), so I suppose her experience here would be a bit different than at home. I hope she enjoyed it and feels she accomplished a great deal. I would have tried to see her but it was unusually (almost dangerously) cold weather during her visit.
I think there were people who were out to see the princess but not really a lot of them unlike the attention the late Princess Diana had in her visits to the US. Many of the spectators there were maybe passer-bys who caught the sight of the Princess.

It really doesn't matter if there were a lot of people who were out to see her or only few. What really matters is that Princess Alex has fulfilled one of her works as a Princess and a humanitarian in terms with the UNICEF. She has accomplished a great task and I know that she is very happy and contented with her US visit. It also shows her great dedication and sincerity to her job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom