Opening of Parliament (Folketinget) 2003-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well... I dare to say that the whole family looked rather bored.

Wow! This is a terrible photo of Marie. They caught her at a moment where she was either deep in thought, or bored. Poor Marie!

She was probably having a difficult time understanding what they were talking about... Or she really was bored. But can you blame her?

Thanks JessRulz, his pictures are great as usual, and you're right there are some very interesting expressions arent there?!

They are rather a funny lot of people, this Danish RF, aren't they? Fred is making an entrance like a popstar (and is dressed accordingly, get some lessons from your brother...), seems to forget that he is there with Mary, who shares his popstar looks and behaviour (only on her it somehow looks good, I love that coat and her hairdo), Benedikte is the epitome of Royal elegance (now that's how you dress for an occasion like this), Joachim seems to be the real King of Denmark (at least he is behaving like he is), Marie is his dim, demure and bored sidekick, who really has to grow up and to top it all off the Queen appears completely dressed in black. I know, these are not the best of economic times, but it can't be that bad! Only Henrik seems to be himself, with his usual "apres moi la déluge" look.

Queen & Prince H falling asleep whats new, cant they stay sitting up straight for once:lol:

Mary looked nice, I like the way Fred was looking at her while outside the parliment. Marie looked bored, I dont blame her though maybe it was her not understanding what was being said.

Thank you all for the pictures.

She was probably having a difficult time understanding what they were talking about...

Dazzling Marie looked bored, I dont blame her though maybe it was her not understanding what was being said.

If this is true, how much more embarrassing can it get. Married to a Danish prince, living off Danish taxpayers' money but cannot follow what is being said in Danish.

I'd expect a person with an average IQ to figure out that there is something wrong - so if that description fitted Marie she would have sat down months ago and and learned Danish 24/7 until she was able to understand. But what can we expect from somebody who is happy to take on an HRH title and aims to be a housewife only at the same time, I hope she was bored to death up to the degree that she woke up from the carefree life she has been leading so far.

If this is true, how much more embarrassing can it get. Married to a Danish prince, living off Danish taxpayers' money but cannot follow what is being said in Danish.

I'd expect a person with an average IQ to figure out that there is something wrong - so if that description fitted Marie she would have sat down months ago and and learned Danish 24/7 until she was able to understand. But what can we expect from somebody who is happy to take on an HRH title and aims to be a housewife only at the same time, I hope she was bored to death up to the degree that she woke up from the carefree life she has been leading so far.
Yeah, maybe it is true. But how can one seriously go from "bored look" to "not understanding" (??)
Usually they all look bored. The Queen must understand Danish for more than 65 years and still looks often "bored" at this event.
We know Marie is getting lectures, so far she had no problem with languages, speeches by politcians are usually conducted in a clear dialect-free way and with specific terms, which are often similiar in other languages...so I´d be surprised, if she didn´t understand 70% at least...

Well we all know that Marie had very little Danish lessons before her wedding, so now she has to do it all. Not a very smart move if you ask me. I get the impression that she does not like all those (well, there aren't very much sofar) engagements at all. If you look at the pictures she often has that arrogant/bored look and clings to Joachim all the time. Time to grow up I guess. Are those openings of the Parlement very lengthy sessions that they all look so bored? It can't be that hard to keep up an interested look for an hour or so can it??

In Marie's defence - that opening speech by the prime minister can bore everyone to death! I am usually interested in politics but I have still not managed to sit through the whole of these opening speeches in front of the telly! ;)

...and then, if you have an hour or more of random still shots of persons sitting through a session of this nature, it isn't difficult to pick some where the object looks bored/uninterested/silly or what have you :)

Trust EkstraBladet to have captured her majesty in a weak moment http://ekstrabladet.dk/flash/kongelige/danskekongelige/article1067287.ece - and see the look exchanged between Frederik and Joachim :D

Last edited:
I wonder if Fred and Joachim made a bet to see how long it would take before their mother nodded off. Naughty, naughty!

Stellad

They are rather a funny lot of people, this Danish RF, aren't they? Fred is making an entrance like a popstar (and is dressed accordingly, get some lessons from your brother...), seems to forget that he is there with Mary, who shares his popstar looks and behaviour (only on her it somehow looks good, I love that coat and her hairdo), Benedikte is the epitome of Royal elegance (now that's how you dress for an occasion like this), Joachim seems to be the real King of Denmark (at least he is behaving like he is), Marie is his dim, demure and bored sidekick, who really has to grow up and to top it all off the Queen appears completely dressed in black. I know, these are not the best of economic times, but it can't be that bad! Only Henrik seems to be himself, with his usual "apres moi la déluge" look.

The correct version is "après moi le déluge".
:flowers:

Wow! This is a terrible photo of Marie. They caught her at a moment where she was either deep in thought, or bored. Poor Marie!

At least she managed to keep her eyes open. I would have fallen into a heavy sleep :rolleyes:

In Marie's defence - that opening speech by the prime minister can bore everyone to death!

Nobody has died yet - which is a miracle - but often some MP's are taking a nap during the speech. It happens every year.

Trust EkstraBladet to have captured her majesty in a weak moment Ekstra Bladet - Fogh talte Margrethe i søvn - and see the look exchanged between Frederik and Joachim :D

Wonderfull photo :lol::lol::lol:

Do the prince's & princess's arrive before the Queen? I thought they arrive together.

Do the prince's & princess's arrive before the Queen? I thought they arrive together.

The Queen alwayes arrives last. The others arrives in accordance with the succesion to the throne. Princess Benedicte first, then Prince Joachim and wife and then The CP Couple.

Maty and Marie hasve a similar hat! , where is the photos of the Queen and her husband, sorry I can not find it!
I think the Dutch have a little bit more glamorous opening of the parlament that the Danish but I love to see it anyway! I wonder was Marie is thinking while is the spaeach in danish!!!!!

In Marie's defence - that opening speech by the prime minister can bore everyone to death! I am usually interested in politics but I have still not managed to sit through the whole of these opening speeches in front of the telly! ;)

...and then, if you have an hour or more of random still shots of persons sitting through a session of this nature, it isn't difficult to pick some where the object looks bored/uninterested/silly or what have you :)

Trust EkstraBladet to have captured her majesty in a weak moment Ekstra Bladet - Fogh talte Margrethe i søvn - and see the look exchanged between Frederik and Joachim :D

This photo is hilarious! They all have very funny looks on their faces.:lol:

I think Mary is trying to hard, and Marie looks perfect! If Marie had showed up to this event less stylish, she would be branded that for awhile in the papers. But she didn't; she got it right. {Deleted conjectures}

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching the video of the royal family's arrival I think who ever was filming it must have forgotten that tha queen was due as you don't see her car arrive, she just appears at the foot of the steps.
Is there a procession from the palace to parliament? and why don't they use carriages instead of cars? People would get a better view if they did that.

I think Mary is trying to hard, and Marie looks perfect! If Marie had showed up to this event less stylish, she would be branded that for awhile in the papers. But she didn't; she got it right. {Deleted conjectures}
Exactly my feelings: the in your-face colours of Marys hat and dress are calling out loud: look at me!( yes I know she wore that ensembe before ). I am very surprised about Marie : she seems to be very relaxed about being compared to Mary. She dressed very low key, not interested at all in stealing her sister-in-laws show. What a cool girl.

Thank you for all the nice pictures Paty :flowers: I can't get enough of that coat of Mary's - and I love it that she has the good sense of reusing it so many times. Very prudent, very well suited to the occasion - and spot-on.
Marie is adorable too - not quite as well put together clothes-wise as Mary but they seem to get along really well and I have every hope that Mary's good sense of dressing herself and her extraordinary sense of occasion will be transformed to Marie as well in a short while ;)

Fred is making an entrance like a popstar (and is dressed accordingly, get some lessons from your brother...)
Oh, I love Fred's look! He doesn't look like a popstar to me. I think he looks like every other 40-year old Scandinavian man in the middle of his career. He has a young but sombre and serious look. Joachim on the other hand looks as if he inherited his suits from his father. You would want the king to be a man of his time...

Is there a procession from the palace to parliament? and why don't they use carriages instead of cars? People would get a better view if they did that.

I would like to know this as well, can anyone tell me, sorry us.

Exactly my feelings: the in your-face colours of Marys hat and dress are calling out loud: look at me!( yes I know she wore that ensembe before ). I am very surprised about Marie : she seems to be very relaxed about being compared to Mary. She dressed very low key, not interested at all in stealing her sister-in-laws show. What a cool girl.

Maybe Mary didnt dress low key because she is the future Queen? Marie is not, she has to dress according to her status, which is lower than Mary. Marie is the second wife of the second son of the Queen. It is only appropriate that Marie dresses lower key than Mary.

How can you tell she is not interested in stealing Mary's show? I'm a little puzzled.

To dress according to her status? Ahem, this is the 21st century, there definetely is room to decide how to dress, even for princesses...

Yes, this is the 21st century, and we still have royals! And we also know there is protocol linked with royalty regarding status. So i still stand by my opinion.
Also, you didnt answer my question, which was how can you tell Marie is not interested in stealing Mary's limelight.

Back
Top Bottom