Opening of Parliament (Folketinget) 2003-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for posting the video, Queen Claude. A rainy, windy day in Denmark. Everyone looks good, as usual. Beneditke's outfit is quite autumnal.

A couple of questions: I recognize the Speaker of the Parliament. If the Prime Minister were to die in office would she take his position, or would there be a new election? In the US, we have a 'line of succession' if the President should die in office. (VP, House Speaker, Pres. pro- tem of the Senate.) That person holds the position until the next regularly scheduled election.

The male voice on the loudspeaker - was that a protester? I saw some signs, but I don't know if they were protests or not.

Thank you for posting the video, Queen Claude. A rainy, windy day in Denmark. Everyone looks good, as usual. Beneditke's outfit is quite autumnal.

A couple of questions: I recognize the Speaker of the Parliament. If the Prime Minister were to die in office would she take his position, or would there be a new election? In the US, we have a 'line of succession' if the President should die in office. (VP, House Speaker, Pres. pro- tem of the Senate.) That person holds the position until the next regularly scheduled election.

The male voice on the loudspeaker - was that a protester? I saw some signs, but I don't know if they were protests or not.

If the PM dies, another member of the government will become Prime Minister. I can't remember who at present, but that person has already been named and been appointed the vice-prime minister. That's not an official title as such though.
If there is no vice-PM appointed, the second highest minister will take over, that's traditionally the Foreign Minister followed by the Minister for Finance.

What happens in case the PM dies is that the vice-PM takes over temporarily. Once he/she has met with the government he will request an audience with the Monarch. Here he will inform her of the position of the government. QMII will ask him to recommend a new Prime Minister. He will then inform her that he has a mandate behind him to take over the government and QMII will then request him to take over as the new Prime Minister.
Having accepted that responsibility the newly appointed PM will then recommend whomever to replace him as minister, so that he can focus on being the PM. - That may happen at the same time.
The new PM will hand in his resignation as say Foreign Minister, which QMII will approve. - Then he will request QMII to approve of the new Foreign Minister, which she will. She will also meet and congratulate the new Foreign Minister.
When that's over, there will most likely be a presentation for the press in front of Amalienborg, before an official hand-over in the Foreign Ministry. Then the new PM will go on to Statsministeriet (The Ministry of State = The PM's office) and formally take over there.

It does not involve the Parliament or the Chairman of the Parliament, unless the government for whatever reason fragments of resigns.

It's an entirely different matter with the head of state, i.e. the Monarch. There must always be a head of state (or a Regent or a Rigsforstander) on Danish soil. (*) Which is why a member of the DRF is always in DK at any given time.

Yes, there was a minor demonstration, which is of course a democratic right - provided they have a permission from the police. Otherwise it's an illegal gathering and as such a public disturbance. But getting such a permission is usually a formality. - The police simply needs to know where the demonstration will take and where if any, route the demonstrators will walk. So that the police can guide the traffic and protect the demonstrators.
I don't know what they were demonstrating against and no one seems to care.
A demonstration can be denied. You will for example not get a permission to demonstrate at a funeral or near a funeral procession in DK. A reverend Phelps would get a big no from the police should he wish to demonstrate at a funeral in DK, and be arrested if he went ahead anyway.
It also happens that the police outlines the march route for controversial demonstrations, in order to maintain order and protect the demonstrators. Some 15 years ago, the police directed that the march route for a neo-Nazi demonstration should end at a garbage dump...
- Democracy and the right to demonstrate can be interpreted in many ways... :D

(*) Unless the Monarch is only away for a few hours.

Oh joy, oh joy, Daily Mail has covered today's event: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-joins-Princess-Marie-opening-parliament.html

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:Thank you, Muhler. I knew I could count on a good explanation from you! :flowers:

The non working Princess Marie could be there.
Yesterday She did not wear her Legion d' Honneur Décoration for President Cirac Funerals.

The non working Princess Marie could be there.
Yesterday She did not wear her Legion d' Honneur Décoration for President Cirac Funerals.

Didn't she?

In all fairness it may not be likely she packed her orders when moving the Paris, hardly expecting to attend a funeral service, and certainly not at such short notice.
I would imagine that order, along with the rest of them, is locked up in a safe at their apartment at Amalienborg.

May I ask you something?
This material isn´t in Cotilleando.com?

Was this the 1st time that Prince Joachim and Princess Marie missed the opening of Parliament?

Was this the 1st time that Prince Joachim and Princess Marie missed the opening of Parliament?

I can't recall they have missed the opening before. Certainly not both of them.

I can't recall they have missed the opening before. Certainly not both of them.

Was thinking that and wondered was there any reason given or a prior engagement?

Was thinking that and wondered was there any reason given or a prior engagement?

Well, yes.
Joachim and our Marie currently live in Paris, where Joachim is attending an advanced staff-course, six days a week, 70 hours.
J&M took part in the memorial service for former president Chirac, presumably because they were on the scene. But that I think is about as much Joachim has, and can afford, to take time off from his course.

I love the simplicity of this opening. Immensely dignified. Very different from the British version, although I enjoy the Alice in Wonderland over the topness of that as well. I have always admired The Queen of Denmark.

I have one question. Why do HM's son & sister not bow/curtsey when the Crown Princess does?

I love the simplicity of this opening. Immensely dignified. Very different from the British version, although I enjoy the Alice in Wonderland over the topness of that as well. I have always admired The Queen of Denmark.

I have one question. Why do HM's son & sister not bow/curtsey when the Crown Princess does?

It's a question that pops up from time to time.
And my opinion is that while this is a formal event they are after all also close family members and it would be in the eyes of the vast majority of Danes be seen as way over the top, should QMII's beloved sister curtsy to her older sister and her son bow to his mother. A kiss on the cheek suffice.
As for Mary and our Marie, when there, it's seen as a sign of respect since they are married into the family. But keep in mind that they kiss first then curtsy. Not the other way around.
It's another matter at the really big events like weddings and baptisms where it's a part of the show that Frederik and Joachim bow to their mother - or rather bow to the Queen.

The Danes in general prefer to see a family greet each other as a family first and foremost - greeting each other as royals will be bordering on the edge of being too formal.
It's a balance between the DRF maintaining the proper formalities in the eyes of the people without turning it into a parody of itself - again in the eyes of the people.

It's a question that pops up from time to time.
And my opinion is that while this is a formal event they are after all also close family members and it would be in the eyes of the vast majority of Danes be seen as way over the top, should QMII's beloved sister curtsy to her older sister and her son bow to his mother. A kiss on the cheek suffice.
As for Mary and our Marie, when there, it's seen as a sign of respect since they are married into the family. But keep in mind that they kiss first then curtsy. Not the other way around.
It's another matter at the really big events like weddings and baptisms where it's a part of the show that Frederik and Joachim bow to their mother - or rather bow to the Queen.

The Danes in general prefer to see a family greet each other as a family first and foremost - greeting each other as royals will be bordering on the edge of being too formal.
It's a balance between the DRF maintaining the proper formalities in the eyes of the people without turning it into a parody of itself - again in the eyes of the people.

Very interesting reply. Thank you again. The British seem rather stiff by comparison. Although it would be dull if everyone had the same customs.

Very interesting reply. Thank you again. The British seem rather stiff by comparison. Although it would be dull if everyone had the same customs.

And I prefer the British/Dutch Versions,the Danish is my least favourite and reminds me a line up prior to a church service.

Well, yes.
Joachim and our Marie currently live in Paris, where Joachim is attending an advanced staff-course, six days a week, 70 hours.
J&M took part in the memorial service for former president Chirac, presumably because they were on the scene. But that I think is about as much Joachim has, and can afford, to take time off from his course.

But surely Marie could've made it there? I don't think the court has given a reason for her absence (although of course I don't know if anyone's inquired).

I wonder if Marie simply didn't want to attend without Joachim. I mean there are neither sovereign nor crown princely couple so does it warrant flying back from France for?

It is a pity that the Parliament does not spice up the royal loge a bit. For an example by covering it with a gobelin or carpet with royal emblems or by flowery arrangements. It is so dull, looking like no any effort is made for the occasion.

I wonder if Marie simply didn't want to attend without Joachim. I mean there are neither sovereign nor crown princely couple so does it warrant flying back from France for?

Agree. She could, but she didn't. No big deal IMO.
It's another matter is Mary didn't attend.
Benedikte too could get away with not attending.

Another matter is, that our Marie not being there, could also be emphasizing my little pet-theory, that J&M are quietly bowing out.

I'm far from certain that J&M will take part in the grand New Year court either.
Joachim because he is about to start in his class the very next morning I will assume. And again, Marie could go without her husband, but I very much doubt it.

- There is a wide agreement among royal commentators here in DK these days that should J&M stay for more than these twelve months in France, his apanage will "become a point for discussion" on next years Finance Bill. I.e. he is likely to be stripped of his apanage or have it reduced, or turned into an expense account or something similar. - It shall be most interesting!

It is a pity that the Parliament does not spice up the royal loge a bit. For an example by covering it with a gobelin or carpet with royal emblems or by flowery arrangements. It is so dull, looking like no any effort is made for the occasion.

That's deliberate.

The main focus is on the opening of the Parliament and what happens in the hall.
The galleries are for the guests and spectators. The DRF are merelythe guests of honor, but they are not the main characters on that particular day - even if they very much are in the eyes of the public and press.
That's also why no members of the DRF are seated on the floor of the Parliament either. That's reserved for the MPs - not all of whom are in favor or the monarchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's deliberate.

The main focus is on the opening of the Parliament and what happens in the hall.
The galleries are for the guests and spectators. The DRF are merelythe guests of honor, but they are not the main characters on that particular day - even if they very much are in the eyes of the public and press.
That's also why no members of the DRF are seated on the floor of the Parliament either. That's reserved for the MPs - not all of whom are in favor or the monarchy.

Hmmm... It will be the Dutchman in me. This is the public tribune in The Hague for "normal" guests" and even this is always decorated for the occasion:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...J-X00a0ePKZ9eD-Uj56lbqM46Xjzhyi9wytlAoVEt_hH0

It is just weird in my eyes not even to mark a place for a special person, The Queen... :ohmy:

I won't argue against you.

The opening could indeed be a little more festive.

Back
Top Bottom