On This Day: Danish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
12th of May 1182 : Death of Valdemar I of Denmark

Valdemar I was King Of Denmark from 1154 until his death and is buried at St. Bendt's Church, Ringsted, Denmark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdemar_I_of_Denmark

Valdemar_1._den_Store.jpg

On this day, May 21, 1481 ~ Demise of King Christian I of Denmark at Copenhagen Castle in Copenhagen, Denmark

On this day, May 22, 1815 ~ The Wedding of King Christian VIII of Denmark and Caroline Amelia of Schleswig-Holstein at Augustenborg Palace

On this day, May 22, 1815 ~ The Wedding of King Christian VIII of Denmark and Caroline Amelia of Schleswig-Holstein at Augustenborg Palace
Christian was not king of Denmark at the time of his wedding and did not become Danish monarch until 1839.He was briefly king of Norway in 1814.

Christian had previously been married to Charlotte Frederica of Mecklenburg-Schwerin 1806 until 1810 but the marriage ended in divorce. The Princess was exiled and ended up in the Papal States where she converted to Catholicism and died in 1840.

A search for the remains of the Princess in 2019 proved inconclusive .

1822_Charlotte_Frederica.jpg

On this day, May 26, 1842 ~ The Wedding of King Christian IX of Denmark and Louise of Hesse-Kassel at Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen, Denmark

Christian IX of Denmark didn't become king until 1863 and was Hereditary Prince of Denmark at the time of his wedding to Princess ouise of Hesse-Kassel.

On this day, June 1, 1876 ~ Demise of Caroline Mariane of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, second wife of the future King Frederik VII of Denmark

On this day, June 1, 1876 ~ Demise of Caroline Mariane of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, second wife of the future King Frederik VII of Denmark
Princess Mariane was his second wife and this union also end in divorce in 1846 before he became king. The former Crown Princess never remarried.

The Crown Prince became king of Denmark in 1848.

360px-Mariane_af_Mecklenburg-Strelitz%2C_1841.jpg

On this day, June 3, 1843 ~ Birth of King Frederik VIII of Denmark at the Yellow Palace in Copenhagen, Denmark

On this day, June 14, 1976 ~ Demise of Hereditary Prince Knud of Denmark, son of King Christian X of Denmark

On this day, June 14, 1976 ~ Demise of Hereditary Prince Knud of Denmark, son of King Christian X of Denmark
Hereditary Prince Knud of Denmark was heir to the throne from 1947 until the
1953, the Danish Act of Succession .

Did relations with the RF sour after the act of 1953?

Hereditary Prince Knud of Denmark was heir to the throne from 1947 until the
1953, the Danish Act of Succession .

Did relations with the RF sour after the act of 1953?

The shortest, simplest and most comprehensive answer is: Yes. ?

On this day, June 21, 1646 ~ The Wedding of Prince Christian (King Christian VIII) of Denmark and Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

:previous: I think there is a slight mistake in your source, CyrilVladisla. ?

Christian VIII was born in 1786. And he got married in 1806.

A wonderful painting of the anointing/coronation ceremony on June 28th 1840 at the Frederiksborg Slotskirke of Christian VIII and Queen Caroline Amalie which I believe was the last time a Danish Monarch was crowned?

587px-Christian_VIII_og_Caroline_Amalie_i_salvingsdragt.jpg

It was.

Absolutism ended with the first democratic Constitution in 1849.

It was.

Absolutism ended with the first democratic Constitution in 1849.

What a shame a simplified ceremony was not retained if only to keep the use of the wonderful regal robes.

On this day, June 25, 1667 ~ The Wedding of King Christian V of Denmark and Charlotte Amelia of Hesse-Kassel

A wonderful painting of the anointing/coronation ceremony on June 28th 1840 at the Frederiksborg Slotskirke of Christian VIII and Queen Caroline Amalie which I believe was the last time a Danish Monarch was crowned?

587px-Christian_VIII_og_Caroline_Amalie_i_salvingsdragt.jpg
The coronation of the Danish kings wasn't really a coronation ceremony, but an anointing ceremony since the king already wore the crown when he arrived to the Frederiksborg Palace Chapel to be anointed. There had been a true coronation ceremony during the days of the elective monarchy, but this changed after the introduction of the hereditary and absolute monarchy in 1660.

What a shame that the anointing Ceremony was not retained given the special connection with the monarch and the State Church.

25th of June 1134 : Execution/Murder of Niels, King of Denmark

The king was murdered by a mob in the city of Schleswig and his mutilated corpse dumped in the river. His headless corpse was recovered and taken to Schleswig Cathedral for burial but was later disinterred due to suspected ghoulish activity and swiftly buried in a bog. The kings body also had a stake driven through his chest.

Local legends reported that the king ghost still haunts the cathedral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niels,_King_of_Denmark

Kong_niels.jpg

Last edited:
On this day, June 26, 1575 ~ Birth of Anna Katharina of Brandenburg, Queen of Denmark, wife of King Christian IV of Denmark

On this day, June 28, 1796 ~ Birth of Caroline Amalie of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg, Queen Consort of King Christian VIII of Denmark

On this day, June 28, 1796 ~ Birth of Caroline Amalie of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg, Queen Consort of King Christian VIII of Denmark

Her mother was Princess Louise Auguste of Denmark who herself was the only daughter of the tragic Princess Caroline Matilda of Wales and Christian VII of Denmark.

On this day, July 1, 1534 ~ Birth of King Frederik II of Denmark at Haderslevhus Castle in Denmark

On this day, July 1, 1534 ~ Birth of King Frederik II of Denmark at Haderslevhus Castle in Denmark

The future king was parents Christian III and Dorothea of Saxe-Lauenburg were married in October 1525 and became King and Queen of Denmark in 1534 and Norway in 1537.
Both of them were committed Lutherans.

Dorothea von Sachsen-Lauenburg-Ratzeburg

362px-Dronning-Dorothea.jpg

The future king was parents Christian III and Dorothea of Saxe-Lauenburg were married in October 1525 and became King and Queen of Denmark in 1534 and Norway in 1537.

Both of them were committed Lutherans.

Dorothea von Sachsen-Lauenburg-Ratzeburg

362px-Dronning-Dorothea.jpg
Dorothea was the sister of Katharina who married Gustav I of Sweden and became the mother of Erik XIV. Although the two brother-in-laws were kings of two traditional rival kingdoms they supported each other against insurrections and during their respective struggles to establish Lutheran State churches.

Dorothea was the sister of Katharina who married Gustav I of Sweden and became the mother of Erik XIV. Although the two brother-in-laws were kings of two traditional rival kingdoms they supported each other against insurrections and during their respective struggles to establish Lutheran State churches.

And their mother Catherine of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel was a devout Catholic and lived until 1563.

On this day, July 4, 1394 ~ Birth of Philippa of England, daughter of the future King Henry IV of England. She was Queen of Denmark, the wife of Eric of Pomerania, King Eric VII of Denmark.

On this day, July 4, 1394 ~ Birth of Philippa of England, daughter of the future King Henry IV of England. She was Queen of Denmark, the wife of Eric of Pomerania, King Eric VII of Denmark.

Philippa of Lancaster was also later queen of Denmark, Sweden and Norway and also acted as Queen Regent on several occasions.

471px-MargaretheI.JPG

On this day, July 8, 1752 ~ The Wedding of Frederik V, King of Denmark and Juliana Maria of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel at Frederiksborg Palace

Back
Top Bottom