New Titles for Queen Margrethe's Descendants: 2008 & 2022, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well that's not entirely true as she did become Queen.

I was not talking about the queen of Denmark title but the Ditmarsken, Schleswig-Holstein and so on :flowers:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't know where else to post it: Appretnly the Queen has given both her sons a new title. Both of them get the title Count of Montpezat and their spouses will (naturally) get the titles Countes of Montpezat. It seems a bit strange to me that both princes would get the same title, but maybe that's a common thing in Denmark? Anyway, you can read the article here, it's from Hola:
LOS PRÍNCIPES FEDERICO Y JOAQUÍN DE DINAMARCA ESTRENAN UN NUEVO TÍTULO

Well, there are two titles meaning countess in Danish? How odd.

Not really. It was that way in Imperial Russia---a married grand duchess had a different title in Russian than an unmarried grand duchess, but the English translation is the same for both: Grand Duchess of Russia.

It seems a bit strange to me that both princes would get the same title

There's nothing weird about it as it's a dynastic title, not an indavidual one. Conferred upon the descendants of HRH Prince Henrik, The Prine Cconsort and HM The Queen, respectively.

Last edited:
I have read and re-read everyones comments, but forgive me I'm still confused:
How can a "Danish" Queen give out French titles ????
Could Queen Elizabeth give out Greek titles???
both Queen's have husbands from another country that is a republic!I could see Queen Margrethe "creating" new Danish titles.

When Frederik & Mary become King & Queen (I hope its many many years in the future) could Fred give a "Scottish" title to Mary's father??????

:previous: I'm still a little confused myself but from what I can maked out it is not a French Title, it is a Danish Title using Henrik's French name :confused:

It is not a French title. France never recognized Monpezat as a noble family so Margrethe is not stepping on foreign toes by awarding a foreign title. She is merely incorporating her husband's family name into the family name for the sake of posterity. {To remove off-topic comment} It's not unlike the Dutch who use the German name 'Mr(s). van Amsberg' as part of their official name.

It probably would have been better to make the new moniker: Prince(ss) of Denmark, Mr(s) Monpezat instead of Count(ess).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read and re-read everyones comments, but forgive me I'm still confused:
How can a "Danish" Queen give out French titles ????
Could Queen Elizabeth give out Greek titles???
both Queen's have husbands from another country that is a republic!I could see Queen Margrethe "creating" new Danish titles.

When Frederik & Mary become King & Queen (I hope its many many years in the future) could Fred give a "Scottish" title to Mary's father??????

The Queen of the United Kingdom can create any title she wants. If she wants, she can give her husband the title of Duke of Washington, but that wouldn't be an American title - it would be a British title (in the Peerage of the United Kingdom). After all, Sue Ryder was given the title of "Baroness Ryder of Warsaw". I believe that The Queen of Denmark has the same prerogative.

I've forgot to ask: how far down the line of descent is the title of Prince(ss) of Denmark passed? Will grandchildren of Prince Joachim be Princes of Denmark?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've forgot to ask: how far down the line of descent is the title of Prince(ss) of Denmark passed? Will grandchildren of Prince Joachim be Princes of Denmark?
There is no limit. If the marry with the Consent of the Monarch given in the Council of State thei children of Nicolai and Felix will be Prince/Princess of Denmark with the Style of Highness.

I could not understand why such a change.
Why Prince / Princess instead Count / Comtesse wondered what was intended ...

They are not Count/Countess instead of Prince/Princess. At this moment it's an additional title.

Josette

There is no limit. If the marry with the Consent of the Monarch given in the Council of State thei children of Nicolai and Felix will be Prince/Princess of Denmark with the Style of Highness.

You are right Stefan.....................but :lol: I don't think Nicolai and Felix will ever become Princesses of Denmark though :nonono:..............for obvious reasons :whistling:....................

Am I right in thinking that the Queen's change is the opposite of the way the other royal families seem to be going (for example, that the Wessex children are merely Lord Severn and Lady Louise, the Philips children have no titles; and in Norway for example that Martha Louise's children are merely "Miss")? I wonder why the Queen is intending to create more princes and princesses.

I wonder why the Queen is intending to create more princes and princesses.

No need to wondre. It isn't titles of princes and princesses she has created but the titles of Count and Countess.

Another thing I am really confused about, perhaps one of you can explain it to me.
WHY is CP Pavlos & Marie-Chantal also known as Prince & Princess of Denmark ? Are their five children also Prince & Princess of Denmark?? They also have a Danish passport??
Also, Princess Benedikte's daughter is also a Princess of Denmark, is her son & other daughter (husband & children) also hold the P of Denmark title?
Does Queen Anne-Marie of Greece's other children also hold the P of Denmark title??
Sorry for all the ?? but it is confusing.
thanks,

All Princes of Greece are also Princes of Denmark. That's because the father of King George I of Greece though that the monarchy of Greece is not stable enough (good guess...), so he wanted his son's descendants to remain Danish royalty in order to have some form of protection in Denmark. Therefore, The Crown Prince of Denmark is not a Danish prince because of his mother, but because of his father. The Queen of Spain is thus a Princess of Denmark and member of the extended Danish Royal Family. The Duke of Edinburgh was also a Prince of Denmark.

Princess Benedikte's children are not Princes of Denmark, as far as I know.

Decades ago, Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain changed the family name to Mountbatten-Windsor to humor Prince Phillip.

No, she didn't. She just said that her male-line descendants will use the surname of Mountbatten-Windsor, if they are not Princes of the United Kingdom of course. Name of the royal house remains Windsor, though I hope The Prince of Wales will change it to Mountbatten or at least Mountbatten-Windsor upon his accession.

This thread has been cleaned up. Please remember to post only facts when discussing the reasons why Queen Margrethe created new titles for her descendants. We should also remember that we were not privy to the Regent Couple's thoughts nor the discussions that took place before this decision was made. We should also note that this is not the place to complain about Prince Henrik's character.

Thanks for your cooperation! :flowers:
Mandy

I suppose I'm also confused about this. As was mentioned upthread, it seems as though most Royal families begin to, for lack of a better term, "diminish" the titles as they move down in generations - Russia, England, etc. The title of Count/Countess seems appropriate for the great-grandchildren of a monarch, but not as an additional title to "Prince/Princess," but as a substitute in place of.

It's a kind gesture to her husband to acknowedge his in the titles, but it does seem to be going against the tide.

I am a bit confused too. Is giving her entire family the Count/ess of Monpezat the Queen's version of Mountbatten-Windsor?

From Wikipedia...

The Queen's children and male-line descendants belong agnatically to the family House of Monpezat and have been given the additional title Count(ess) of Monpezat.

Is it expected that the next ruling dynasty of Denmark shall be the House of Monpezat? Surely the current House shall remain as is.

From Wikipedia...

Is it expected that the next ruling dynasty of Denmark shall be the House of Monpezat? Surely the current House shall remain as is.

Prince Frederik, Prince Christian are members of the House of Monpezat, Frederik will be King of the House of Monpezat. Unfortunately not of House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. :)

The Queen has given them the titles Count/ess of Monpezat as sort of an extra title, not a surname as Mountbatten-Windsor is.

Princess Benedikte's children have the surname of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg due to Benediktes marriage to Prince Richard. As Alexandra married a count, her children Ingrid and Richard have the titles Count and Countess.

But isn't it that unless the appropriate measures are taken by the sovereign (Frederik) to change the House name (just as George V did), then it will remain the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksbürg.

But isn't it that unless the appropriate measures are taken by the sovereign (Frederik) to change the House name (just as George V did), then it will remain the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksbürg.

Margrethe the sovereign at the moment, has taken it upon herself to change the house for Frederik. :)

Margrethe the sovereign at the moment, has taken it upon herself to change the house for Frederik. :)

I'm not quite sure that's how it is. Only mention of titles was made. Nothing about changing the dynastic name of the Royal House which would require a royal proclamation stating that the Royal House of Denmark shall henceforth be the House of Monpezat. That is something which would be entirely left for Frederik, not the Queen, to do.

The title was really created for those descendants of the Queen and Prince Consort who will not enjoy the style and title of Royal Highness (the prospective grandchildren of Prince Joachim and the children of Princess Isabella, as it currently stands). I'd imagine those in direct line of succession would continue to uphold the current Dynastic name.

Though until Frederik succeeds, I guess it's just a guessing game.

I'm just saying that the articles I have read, state that before the family recieved the titles Count/ess of Monpezat, the house was that of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksbürg. But now Frederik, Mary, Christian, Isabella, Joachim, Marie, Nikolai, Felix and Henrik belong to the House of Laborde de Monpezat not the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksbürg. :)

But now Frederik, Mary, Christian, Isabella, Joachim, Marie, Nikolai, Felix and Henrik belong to the House of Laborde de Monpezat. :)
No they don't. The additional titles granted by the Queen are irrelevant to this issue. There's no expectation that the House name will change following the occasion of a Queen regnant. In any case, if there was to be such a change it wouldn't occur until the Queen's death and accession of the new Sovereign. Of course Frederik could have it both ways by declaring himself the first monarch of the new House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg-Laborde de Monpezat (SHSGLdM for short :D) but I think it unlikely.

The House of Orange didn't become the House of Mecklenburg-(Schwerin) with Queen Juliana or the House of Lippe-Biesterfeld with Queen Beatrix, nor did Grand Duke Jean drop the dynastic/House name of Nassau when he technically became the first Grand Duke of the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma's Luxembourg branch.

I don't believe we'll see many instances of changed House names as they represent national identity and/or dynastic continuity. For example, I'd expect that if or when the future Queen Victoria of Sweden is succeeded by her heir, that King or Queen will remain a Bernadotte and not become the first monarch of the House of Westling.

I guess we can put this one here.

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #48, 2012.
Where a Mogens Q. Andersen would like to learn more on when someone is called a Majesty in Denmark.

Jon Bloch Skipper replies.

In DK that applies to: A king and his queen. And upon his death his widow.
These three have the titel of Majesty, no one else. And they are addressed "Your Majesty" and referred to as "His/Her Majesty".

The husband of a ruling queen has the title of Prince Consort and is addressed "Your Royal Highness".

These rules are Danish. In other countries there can be only one majesty and in some countries the widow of king will lose the title of majesty.
We have those rules because that has become an established costum.

- So Mary will the second QMII dies, become Her Majesty Queen Mary. And she will keep that title until she dies, divorce Frederik or DK becomes a republic.

Should Isabella become queen instead of Christian, her husband, will get the title of prince consort and become a royal higness.

Last edited:
Crown Prince Fredrick considers himself a member The House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg correct?
The BRF is the house of Windsor by royal decree but patrilineally is of the The House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
The Prince of Wales as well as the Duke of Cambridge belong to the House of Glücksburg through Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark.
My question is , will the Danish Royal House continue to be of the line of Glücksburg because the Prince Consort is French?

I guess we will find out when Frederik comes to the throne, but there is no good reason to change the dynastic name. The House of Orange still reigns in The Netherlands even though the male line ended with Willem III.

I guess Prinsgemalen has to throw another tantrum and retreat to his French vineyards to get his wish fulfilled (add Mozepat to the name of Royal House)..

Back
Top Bottom