New Titles for Queen Margrethe's Descendants: 2008 & 2022, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure if this was asked, will King Fredrik and Queen Mary's children and future grandchildren be known as Frederik's denomination Kongen af Danmark /King of Denmark as (name followed by) prince/ss Af Danmark?

Frederik isn't using Kongen af Danmark (King of Denmark): Judging by his message to Parliament (see my previous post in this thread); he is following his mother's lead and using Danmarks Konge (Denmark's King). :flowers:

I'm not sure if I understand your question; are you perhaps asking whether the King is also a Prince of Denmark? If so then no, he is not. The Scandinavian monarchs drop their Prince titles upon becoming Kings.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/den-kongelige-familie/hm-kongen/#

Last edited:
The people who insist that the House to which Frederik belongs is Monpezat are stuck in the middle ages, plain and simple. It's absolutely laughable to think the Danish royal family – ruling in an absolute monarchy – would assume Frederik's agnatic family name over the family name of the mother he has inherited the throne from.

As for the people who claim that some man playing prince down in Schleswig-Holstein would take issue with that, I guarantee the DRF wouldn't hesitate creating a new House of Glücksborg before even considering assuming Monpezat as a new royal house ;)

On a side note, Queen Margrethe II's decision to simplify the regnal title by dropping the references to German tribes and territories (territories which were already lost to the Danish crown in 1863) apparently inspired King Carl XVI Gustaf to do the same with his own title when he ascended the Swedish throne four years later.

CG ascended the throne just a year and a half after QMII :flowers:

Last edited:
Frederik isn't using Kongen af Danmark (King of Denmark): Judging by his message to Parliament (see my previous post in this thread); he is following his mother's lead and using Danmarks Konge (Denmark's King). :flowers:

I'm not sure if I understand your question; are you perhaps asking whether the King is also a Prince of Denmark? If so then no, he is not. The Scandinavian monarchs drop their Prince titles upon becoming Kings.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/den-kongelige-familie/hm-kongen/#

Danmarks Konge is convenient to avoid the issue of whether he should be called Konge til Danmark or Konge af Danmark.

Thanks, corrected. Given how the Scandinavian monarchies have been influenced by one another, titlewise, I am starting to wonder if Queen Margrethe II made the changes she did to the title of the monarch ("Danmarks" instead of "til/af Danmark" and deleting subsidiary titles) to bring Denmark's usage into closer conformity with Norway's and Sweden's.

Last edited:
The people who insist that the House to which Frederik belongs is Monpezat are stuck in the middle ages, plain and simple. It's absolutely laughable to think the Danish royal family – ruling in an absolute monarchy – would assume Frederik's agnatic family name over the family name of the mother he has inherited the throne from.

As for the people who claim that some man playing prince down in Schleswig-Holstein would take issue with that, I guarantee the DRF wouldn't hesitate creating a new House of Glücksborg before even considering assuming Monpezat as a new royal house ;)

Isn't Frederik of the House of Glucksborg? What other house does he belong to? I've seen some comments trying to say that another current monarch is now Glucksborg line - but I'm confused.

Isn't Frederik of the House of Glucksborg? What other house does he belong to? I've seen some comments trying to say that another current monarch is now Glucksborg line - but I'm confused.

No, Queen Margrethe II was the last monarch of the House of Glücksburg. King Frederik X belongs to his father's family, which is the House of Monpezat.

Yes, according to other posters, I live "in the Middle Ages".

Indeed he is.

People insisting on something else are free to contact the DRF and get corrected ;)

Indeed he is.

People insisting on something else are free to contact the DRF and get corrected ;)

Why are people insisting (on other platforms) that he is not of the House of Glucksborg and would be Monpezat and the House of Glucksborg now resides with another monarch. Are people just trying to claim a house? :whistling:

[-]I thought QMII changed the DRF to the House to Monpezat in 2008, thus all current descendants are Count/ess of Monpezat?[/-]

I was wrong. Agnatically, they are known as House of Monpezat, but officially they are still House of Glücksburg

No, Queen Margrethe II was the last monarch of the House of Glücksburg. King Frederik X belongs to his father's family, which is the House of Monpezat.

You are technically correct had Denmark continued to have Salic law, which it hasn't for over 70 years

Last edited:
I thought QMII changed the DRF to the House to Monpezat in 2008, thus all current descendants are Count/ess of Monpezat?

No, not at all. The creation of the Count/ess of Monpezat title did not involve any changes to the house/dynasty/family name. You can read the full 2008 announcement here:

Here is a link to the text of the press release of April 30 2008, which Somebody's source posted in image form.

Pressemeddelelse

Amalienborg, den 30. april 2008

Hendes Majestæt Dronningen har besluttet, at Hans Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsen samt Hans Kongelige Højhed Prins Joachim tillægges titel af ’greve af Monpezat’. Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsesse Mary samt Hans Kongelige Højhed Prins Joachims kommende ægtefælle frk. Marie Cavallier vil som følge heraf føre titlen ’grevinde af Monpezat’.

Titlen føres endvidere af efterkommere født i lovligt ægteskab, i overensstemmelse med de almindelige regler, der gælder herom, hvilket vil sige, at titlen ’greve af Monpezat’ videreføres af mandlige descendenter, medens kvindelige descendenter fører titlen ’komtesse af Monpezat’.

Der er tale om en ny, yderligere titel der kan anvendes i tilknytning til de eksisterende. Titlen berører ikke de nugældende prædikater. Navn og titel vil herefter i kort form eksempelvis kunne være:

. Hans Kongelige Højhed Kronprins Frederik, greve af Monpezat
. Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsesse Mary, grevinde af Monpezat
. Hans Kongelige Højhed Prins Christian, greve af Monpezat
. Hendes Kongelige Højhed Prinsesse Isabella, komtesse af Monpezat

Eventuelle henvendelser på denne pressemeddelelse bedes rettet til Kabinetssekretariatet på telefon 3340 2484.

Henning Fode
Hendes Majestæt Dronningens Kabinetssekretær

Why are people insisting (on other platforms) that he is not of the House of Glucksborg and would be Monpezat and the House of Glucksborg now resides with another monarch. Are people just trying to claim a house? :whistling:

Let us just say that I do not believe there would be nearly as many people making that claim if the genders were reversed. :whistling:

I am afraid I would have to firmly disagree with all of you. Firstly because, during the Middle Ages, it was more common for royals and nobles to use their mother's house/family names than it was in later European history, but also because both in the Middle Ages and in the 21st century, it is surely the prerogative of the monarch(s) to determine the name of their house, not yours or mine or any other royal watcher's.

Last edited:

Because those people maintain the idea that a woman is somehow less than a man and as such, despite inheriting the throne from his mother, he belongs to his father's house.

Last edited:
In the royal website's updated Danish version of its history page, Frederik's succession as King is discussed in the Glücksborg section.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/monarkiet-i-danmark/kongehusets-historie/

On his defunct website as Crown Prince, it was always stated that Frederik would continue to line of Glücksborg monarchs.

"The day Crown Prince Frederik ascends the throne of Denmark he will be the sixth monarch in the line of Glücksborg, a family which took the Danish throne when Christian IX was crowned after Frederik VII died without an heir in 1863."

https://web.archive.org/web/20111117000951/http://www.kronprinsparret.dk/47000c

We have observed from the flags used on abdication day that King Frederik X has retained the Oldenborg inescutcheon in the royal arms. In the royal heraldry of most European countries, including Denmark, the inescutcheon (the small shield at center point) traditionally corresponds to the individual's dynasty.

(The house of Glücksborg is a branch of the Oldenborg dynasty, which is itself a branch of the original Danish royal dynasty, as explained on the history page linked above.)

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/the-transfer-of-the-royal-flags

And finally, a change as surprising as declaring the name of the house to be Monpezat (because regardless of what foreign royalists might think is patriarchally correct, it is not something most Danes expect) would need to be announced, and it has not been announced.

I was wrong. Agnatically, they are known as House of Monpezat, but officially they are still House of Glücksburg

If by "agnatically" you mean that Monpezat is a name from Frederik's agnatic (strict male line) lineage, that is not the case. The name Monpezat derives from a 17th-century female ancestor of Prince Henrik named Catherine who was lady of Monpezat. If Frederik used his "agnatic name", it would be Laborde.

I sincerely doubt that any of the people on Wikipedia, social media etc. who are attempting to make the DRF known as the "House of Monpezat" are agnatically (or at all) related to either the Glücksborg (the Danish spelling) or Monpezat families, if that is what you meant. Fortunately, there is no Louis Mountbatten of Denmark. ;)

Last edited:
If you believe that Frederik X isn’t a member of the House of Glücksborg because that was his mother’s family not his father’s, it follows that neither his mother nor her ancestors were entitled to that name. After all, they descended from Count Christian of Oldenburg (later King Christian I of Denmark) who inherited Schleswig (of which Glücksburg is a part) and Holstein from his maternal uncle.

The Glücksborgs belong to a younger branch of King Christian I’s descendants, who were given the title of Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, and eventually succeeded to the Danish throne when the elder line died out in 1863. If they could call themselves the House of Glücksborg even though patrilineally they were Oldenburgs, then so can Frederik X.

Back
Top Bottom