The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 05-04-2022, 11:38 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 772
Herlufsholm Boarding & Day School - Incidents and Reactions of the Royal Family

Today, 05.05., a Danish TV-Station will be airing a docu about "Herlufsholm", Prince Christian's school, which Princess Isabella is/was about to attend.
https://www.bunte.de/royals/daenisch...er-kinder.html

The docu is called "Herlufsholm hemmeligheder" (Herlufsholm's Secrets) and reports alledgedly cases of bullying, outright violence and even sexual abuse.

I wonder, what this story is about - We will see!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-05-2022, 05:50 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 64,098
Crown Princess Mary attended the Maternity Foundation's Mother's Day event in Copenhagen today, May 5.

During the event Mary was asked about the documentary about Herlufsholm school that reports about bullying at the school. Mary answered she had not seen it yet, but condemned bullying:


** BB video: Overrumplet af spørgsmål: Nu reagerer Mary på kritisk Herlufsholm-dokumentar **
__________________

__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2022, 07:47 AM
Lady Daly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sherwood, United States
Posts: 779
Interesting now that a Danish tv station has devoted an investigative report on Christian's current boarding school. A school his cousin, Prince Nikolai graduated from in 2018. There has been a history of reported problems, serious problems, over the years at the Herlufsholm School but I thought all that had been cleared up.

Here are a couple of 2021 articles, one from German tv station TheN24 now known as Welt: https://then24.com/2021/08/13/murder...-from-denmark/
and another 2021 article from Australia MSN.com https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainm...ol/ar-BB1gxMgF

I think this must be old news recycled now that Isabella will be joining Christian at the school. Quite unimaginable Denmark's Crown Prince Family would allow their son and now their daughter to attend a less than reputable school.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-05-2022, 08:07 AM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 3,086
Nope, nothing to do with the news of Isabella joining Christian at Herlufsholm. But naturally it makes people – including the press – wonder why the DRF repeatedly chooses to greenlight a school with a continuing unfortunate reputation.

The documentary, I believe, is made in light of a recent rape case at the school. The rape took place in February and the perpetrator (a 16-year-old boy) was sentenced a week ago.

The Mary Foundation was asked to comment (since one of their focal points are bullying) and provided this statement. One of the comments on the Instagram post mentioned that the statement will ring extremely hollow if the DRF continues their affiliation with the school and I agree. This is clearly an ingrained institutional problem since it has spanned across several years and varying head masters.

Unfortunately I doubt this will have any affect on the DRF. As mentioned, the school has a long history of serious problems and that didn't prevent the admittance of either Nikolai, Christian or now Isabella. To be frank, I'm already counting the hours till Lene Balleby, the DRF's director of communications, attempts to shut inquiries down with a "the children's schooling is a private matter"
__________________
"Hope is like the sun. If you only believe it when you see it you'll never make it through the night."
Our Princess

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-05-2022, 11:32 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,211
I have followed this with half an eye for the past couple of days and it is difficult for me to gauge, yet, as to whether there really is problem at Herlufsholm or whether there have been some isolated incidents that may have been - shall we say - blown up a bit.
It is of course a bad thing that a rape took place. On the other hand the issue was reported and the perpetrator arrested and sentenced. So did the school do the right thing? I.e. act upon being informed, investigating and reporting the matter to the police. Or did it try to cover it up?
Could a rape like that, basically an older pupil taking advantage of a younger pupil, with the younger pupil being too scared/intimidated/unable/unwilling to resist, take place at other schools? Like continuation schools.
The answer must be yes.

I think a problem with a boarding school of any kind is that either you belong or you don't. If you don't you are vulnerable and at a higher risk of being subjected to various forms of bullying and/or being ostracized.
Because you can't get away from the "annoying idiot" - alternatively you can't get away from the bullies.
A boarding school where the pupils are based 24/7 for extended periods usually also has an internal system of dealing with non-conformists pupils.

So are we talking about a couple of spoiled brats who didn't know how to behave and got a rough lesson by their fellow pupils, only to run home and tell momma?
Or are we talking about a couple of weak, and perhaps awkward pupils who didn't fit into the community and was set upon by other pupils. I.e. systematically bullied.
Or is the truth that it's a mix of both of the above?

What is the most important thing in my eyes is: How does the schools deal with problems among the pupils.
Because problems, also serious problems, will take place at even the best school in the world.

That IMO is what decides whether a school is good or bad.

Because it is an issue for M&F.

Especially for Mary. It will be hard for her to justify sending her own children to a school where there is a history of bullying.
You can't spin it by saying: There is no problem with bullying at Herlufsholm. It is merely a question of 467 individual cases of non-social behavior at Herlufsholm.
- If you get my meaning.

So I will be looking very much forward to the school presenting its case.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-05-2022, 11:33 AM
Blog Real's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 8,502
Today, the Crown Prince and Crown Princess state the following regarding the documentary program about Herlufsholm.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdLnPyMK...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-2022, 11:41 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,211
For our newsdiggers.

Keep an eye on the DK news right now. M&F are reacting to the reports about Herlufsholm.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-05-2022, 12:18 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Today, the Crown Prince and Crown Princess state the following regarding the documentary program about Herlufsholm.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdLnPyMK...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=


Translation please
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-05-2022, 12:24 PM
Izzie's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: NORTH HOLLYWOOD, United States
Posts: 497
What did they say in their statement? Instagram's translate feature does not work.

Mary Foundation also put out a statement. And both Mary and Frederik were asked at their events today (obviously knowing they probably had not even seen the documentary yet).

It puts M&F between a rock and a hard place right now. IMO, if I were them I would have Isabella finish her last year at the school she is currently attending. That takes care of the Isabella issue. As for Christian....is his school year not reaching the end of term? They can have him finish out the current school year and then have the entire summer to decide about what to do with him. I doubt any school would say NO to having the future king suddenly want to attend their school at the last minute at the end of summer holidays.

of course now the focus is all on Christian, when he had zero to do with any of the issues going on at the school! But, he is the high profile click bait so that's where the reporters go.


BB Article about the statement by CPC and the documentary: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...ole-vi-er-dybt

I am sure B.T. and E.B. are going to go to town over this news and by the end they will make it seems like M&F are personally responsible for what happens at the school.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-05-2022, 12:42 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 3,086
Only I highly doubt they're gonna do that, unfortunately. I think Frederik even said in his comment today that the revelations wouldn't have consequences for Christian's stay at the school. It's not news. The toxic culture at Herlufsholm is common knowledge – this is not an isolated incident – and with that in mind, the DRF have still chosen the school for now three of the Queen's grandchildren.

From a communicative standpoint, this is a real mess (especially, as Muhler mentions, for Mary as this undermines her work with bullying completely) but the DRF and their communications department also do notoriously bad in messy situations, so the last thing I expect is for them to actually take a stand and pull the children from the school.

I also don't really think it matters whether or not Christian has been personally involved in the mentioned incidents. Those incidents are representative of a disgusting culture that the DRF actively choose to validate by sending their children there.
__________________
"Hope is like the sun. If you only believe it when you see it you'll never make it through the night."
Our Princess

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-05-2022, 01:04 PM
Izzie's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: NORTH HOLLYWOOD, United States
Posts: 497
Well, I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt at how they handle this issue in the here and now. Both the Mary Foundation and Mary/Frederik have put out statements and have answered questions from the press, even without seeing this documentary yet!! They put out an immediate statement which is more than is done by other royal families when there are sensitive issues to face. They are not hiding behind palace walls from this. So, keeping on eye on how they handle this going forward.

I doubt that this is the one and only time we will hear from M/F OR The Mary Foundation on this issue nor the last time they will be asked about it.

We do not know what M/F will do about Isabella, so anything said is only speculation at this point.

Christian is a more delicate issue as he is currently attending the school and the heir. But I am not surprised that Frederik answered the way he did about this not affecting Christian's schooling. It is a response that can easily be cleaned up later and not unusual in these instances.

The Mary Foundation has already put out a statement and I would not doubt that is only the beginning of their actions on this. So I will keep an eye on their social media to see how they proceed.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-05-2022, 01:13 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,119
Perhaps the Mary Foundation will take on bullying at this school as a test case. Bullying can only be stopped if it is brought out into the open so that all can see how it works and how it must be handled effectively.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-05-2022, 01:18 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Translation please
As parents to a child attending Herlufsholm, we are deeply shaken/upset about the testimonies that are emerging in the documentary about the school.
It's heartbreaking to hear about the systematic bullying and culture of violence that many has been a part of. It's totally unacceptable.
As parents we expect that the school decisively ensure a culture where all are safe and a part of the community, and we will in the coming time follow the changes that are obviously necessary.

The crown Princely Couple.

---------------------

That IMO is an open letter by M&F telling the leadership at the school: Fix it!!

--------------

From what I can tell at present it is clearly more than a few episodes with a few pupils who didn't behave well.
It appears to more based on a hierarchical culture, where some pupils are "punished" for not conforming to unwritten rules and/or norms - and that is, if not tolerated, then certainly not addressed by the leadership of the school.

In the clip I have seen with the headmaster of the school, he sure looks uncomfortable!

So as I see it, right now: The school genuinely has a problem with bullying.

ADDED: I will watch the documentary that starts in half an hour with the most critical eyes I can muster and try my best to give the school the benefit of doubt. And see whether the documentary presents a convincing case against Herlufsholm.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-05-2022, 01:25 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie View Post
Well, I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt at how they handle this issue in the here and now. Both the Mary Foundation and Mary/Frederik have put out statements and have answered questions from the press, even without seeing this documentary yet!! They put out an immediate statement which is more than is done by other royal families when there are sensitive issues to face. They are not hiding behind palace walls from this. So, keeping on eye on how they handle this going forward.

I doubt that this is the one and only time we will hear from M/F OR The Mary Foundation on this issue nor the last time they will be asked about it.

We do not know what M/F will do about Isabella, so anything said is only speculation at this point.

Christian is a more delicate issue as he is currently attending the school and the heir. But I am not surprised that Frederik answered the way he did about this not affecting Christian's schooling. It is a response that can easily be cleaned up later and not unusual in these instances.

The Mary Foundation has already put out a statement and I would not doubt that is only the beginning of their actions on this. So I will keep an eye on their social media to see how they proceed.
I mean, again, this isn't new information. It's frankly fairly common knowledge. Only this time it's being said out loud – as it is once every 5-ish years after which the school promises to take action and then when the media storm dies down again, it evidently goes back to normal. And it is with this knowledge in mind that Joachim (and Alexandra), Frederik and Mary all chose to send their children to the school (a school heaps of their friends have children at as well).

As for the Mary Foundation... I really don't know what kind of actions they should be able to take regarding an institutionalised and systematic toxic culture that goes decades back? I know people who attended the school in the 80's and it was no different back then. Expecting the Mary Foundation to be able to change anything seems pretty hopeless to me.

I really don't mean to sound like a Doris Downer, I wish I could feel as optimistic as you about potential DRF action, I just suppose with the DRF's usual non-reactions to questionable situations fresh in mind, I would be extremely (albeit pleasantly) surprised if they decided to actually take action beyond platitudes.

And frankly, I also think one of the only ways in which one could realistically expect a change in mentality to be implemented at the school would be if M&F decided to cut their (immediate) ties with it. But again, I wouldn't hold my breath.
__________________
"Hope is like the sun. If you only believe it when you see it you'll never make it through the night."
Our Princess

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-05-2022, 01:48 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
As parents to a child attending Herlufsholm, we are deeply shaken/upset about the testimonies that are emerging in the documentary about the school.
It's heartbreaking to hear about the systematic bullying and culture of violence that many has been a part of. It's totally unacceptable.
As parents we expect that the school decisively ensure a culture where all are safe and a part of the community, and we will in the coming time follow the changes that are obviously necessary.

The crown Princely Couple.

---------------------

That IMO is an open letter by M&F telling the leadership at the school: Fix it!!

--------------

From what I can tell at present it is clearly more than a few episodes with a few pupils who didn't behave well.
It appears to more based on a hierarchical culture, where some pupils are "punished" for not conforming to unwritten rules and/or norms - and that is, if not tolerated, then certainly not addressed by the leadership of the school.

In the clip I have seen with the headmaster of the school, he sure looks uncomfortable!



So as I see it, right now: The school genuinely has a problem with bullying.

ADDED: I will watch the documentary that starts in half an hour with the most critical eyes I can muster and try my best to give the school the benefit of doubt. And see whether the documentary presents a convincing case against Herlufsholm.
Thank you for the translation. As someone who has done Crisis Communications in her professional life, I think this was a necessary, albeit, a quick statement. JMHO -- this isn't the last that we will hear from the CP Couple on this. Heads need to role at the school or the kids will be yanked.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-05-2022, 02:00 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I also don't really think it matters whether or not Christian has been personally involved in the mentioned incidents. Those incidents are representative of a disgusting culture that the DRF actively choose to validate by sending their children there.

I don't quite agree. Right now, in the worst case scenario, Frederik and Mary can simply pull Christian out of the school (which they probably won't, since the boy seems to like it there as his cousins before him). However, if Christian were personally involved, then he would have to answer for his actions and there would be no easy way out of the problem. The situation would get much more complicated for the Royal Family.


I can't help imagining that whoever was doing the investigation was also hoping to find some connection to Christian. Hopefully there won't be any.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-05-2022, 02:07 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 3,086
I don't know if I was unclear but I absolutely did not mean that the situation wouldn't be be significantly different had Christian been directly involved in the mentioned incidents. My point was that the fact that he (presumably) isn't doesn't make the questioning of the DRF's involvement with the school, and as such the culture it promotes, any less relevant. I think it's also important to remember that you don't have to actively take part in a toxic culture to help uphold it.
__________________
"Hope is like the sun. If you only believe it when you see it you'll never make it through the night."
Our Princess

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-05-2022, 02:10 PM
Princejohnny25's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Arctica, Antarctica
Posts: 2,115
Unless Christian is involved, which would spell far greater problems, I see no reason to pull him out of a school that he really likes and appears to be thriving in. In fact, one can argue, so long as members of the DRF attend the school then the giant magnifying lens won't go away. This increases the incentive to deal, address, and fix these recurring issues. I believe it's far better for people to face things head on, affect change, and move forward rather than simply changing environments to suit a moral code.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-05-2022, 02:37 PM
Izzie's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: NORTH HOLLYWOOD, United States
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Thank you for the translation. As someone who has done Crisis Communications in her professional life, I think this was a necessary, albeit, a quick statement. JMHO -- this isn't the last that we will hear from the CP Couple on this. Heads need to role at the school or the kids will be yanked.
I agree that this is not the last and/or only statement that will be issued by either the CPC or the Mary Foundation. These statements went out quickly to acknowledge the documentary and staunchly condemn the alleged issues shown in the documentary. I expect there will be more...well at least IMO there should be both from the CPC and The Mary Foundation. But IMO this is how it is done. They cannot outright say, right now, the kids will be yanked from the school. Also, if there is any active investigation, they have to be careful how things are worded and stated. It will be a delicate balancing act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't quite agree. Right now, in the worst case scenario, Frederik and Mary can simply pull Christian out of the school (which they probably won't, since the boy seems to like it there as his cousins before him). However, if Christian were personally involved, then he would have to answer for his actions and there would be no easy way out of the problem. The situation would get much more complicated for the Royal Family.


I can't help imagining that whoever was doing the investigation was also hoping to find some connection to Christian. Hopefully there won't be any.
I agree with this. Given the articles I have seen (and been able to Google translate), he is being used as blatant "click bait". And, I can only imagine the CPC will address it if it gets out of hand, especially if Christian is not remotely implicated in any type of egregious behavior and he is only being used, like I said, for "click bait" OR if they start referencing Isabella as well.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-05-2022, 02:48 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,798
The CP couple cannot fire the school's headmaster, conduct an investigation, or bring charges against whoever might be involved. Hopefully, the fact that the CP's son and second in line to the throne is enrolled in the school will put pressure on whoever is competent to do that (the School Board, the Ministry of Education, the Police, etc.) to act accordingly. But, other than saying that they are shaken and upset by what they have heard, the most the CP couple can do is pull their son out of the school if the school administration is non-responsive.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Stockholm Terror Attack - Reactions of the Swedish Royal Family: April 2017 JessRulz Royal House of Sweden 52 04-07-2022 06:17 AM
Prince Charles: Earlier Life and Incidents, Life in Pictures sara1981 The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 87 03-25-2022 03:05 PM




Popular Tags
#uae #abudhabirullingfamily 18th birthday abdullah ii albert prince consort all tags archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian austria birth braganza british royal family cadwallader camilla castile charles colorblindness coronation crown jewels danish royal family de la cerda denmark dubai expo duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex gemstones genetics harry and meghan henry viii history india ingrid-alexandra ivrea japanese imperial family japan history king edward iii king henry iii king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor louis mountbatten medical monarchist movements monarchists mongolia mountbatten nara period noble families norway crown princely couple orleans-braganza pedro ii politics prince andrew prince charles prince harry prince of wales prince of wales in jordan queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria samurai spanish royal family state visit st edward tokugawa uae


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022
Jelsoft Enterprises
×