General Questions and Information about the Danish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This may not be the proper thread to post this, but I have a question: with the news today of Juan Carlos' pending abdication, do any of you think there will be more among the 'older' generation of royals? Personally, I'm not too sure. I think if QEII were going to abdicate, she would have done it by now. Harald in Norway has had some health problems, and the Japanese emperor is getting on in years. Both of their heirs seem to be well prepared. I can't see Margarethe stepping down at all! But if she did, I think Frederik would do a fine job.

Just some ramblings from an American, who is seriously thinking of getting a bumper sticker that says '' Bring Back the Monarchy'' !

Abdications are rare in Scandinavia and the UK.
Interesting that you want to bring back the monarchy in a country so obsessed with 1776, founding fathers, an outdated constitution etc. But I do get the impression that many americans haven't really cut the umbillical cord to UK. You constantly refer to her as "the Queen" - not the Queen of England (as you do the Queen of Denmark). This in a way puts her on par with "the President" - whom you of course refer to that way because it is YOUR president. Is the Queen of England in some unresolved way YOUR Queen? I bet Freud could get a lot out of that. LOL.

Personally, I think that monarchy is superiour to the republic. It's my impression that division rules in republics, because a huge minority (and in USA's case sometimes the majority) voted against a president and thus find it difficult to reconcile the fact that this person is supposed to represent you (even though you actively voted against him). I could write a lot on that, but won't bore you.

Just one last thing, though. It seems that cracks are showing in some republics. USA is the oldest real republic out there and looking from over here, the Americans seem really discontent with the political system and situation, not least the presidency. The monarchy seems to work as a valve for such dissent as the head of state isn't affected by day-to-day operations, so to speak.
Also, the republic is fairly young. Working for a hundred years or two is perhaps not the ultimate test of a form of government. Only time will tell - but the Danish monarchy have existed five times as long as the US republic. In some ways it's still in it's infancy.

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #45, 2014.

Where a Ulrich Andersen would like to know why the DRF Chamberlain/Marshall Uve Ullerup, resigned rather than staying on in his position until retirement as is normal. (Uve Ullerup is now ambassador).

Jon Bloch Skipper explains that it most likely is because Uve Ullerup is a career diplomat. He was headhunted for the DRF from the Foreign Ministry. And while working for the DRF he has initiated and completed a number of reforms and basically been reshaping the administrative structure to resembling that of the Foreign Ministry.
It is debateble whether that is necessarily a good thing, Jon Bloch Skipper says, but on the other hand a court needs to adjust to changing times.
Jon Bloch Skipper hints that the reforms have been completed and as such Uve Ullerup felt it was time to move on.

I have no idea about where else to put this, so here we go.
Summaries of captions in an article in Billed Bladet #45, 2014.
Written by Marianne Singer.

Since Christmas is coming up, the author Nina Hald has written a book about gold and a part of that book is devoted to gold that is part of the DRF collections.

https://app.box.com/s/ljmw29x822dvezwmv6c4
Top left: These two candleholders are each made from five individual pieces. They are 21.5 cm high, but their weight is different. One weighs 600 grammes, the other 545 grammes.

Right and bottom: The baptismal font that has been in use since 1671.
It's made from silver and gilded silver. 91.6 cm high and weighs about sixteen kilos.
There is a depiction of John the Baptist (Johannes in DK) baptizing Christ.

https://app.box.com/s/xgn4job8ls4uw39iwdbh
This baptismal jug weighs 975 grammes and it can contain 0.4 litres of water. The handle is shaped like a dolphin while the mouth is in the shape of a dragon.

https://app.box.com/s/hlsaia14oeoyqpr417dz
A robe worn by QMII and made by Mogens Eriksen. The sleeves (in Medieval style) are 130 cm long. The threads are gilded, not gold.

https://app.box.com/s/q9xn09y3w21l9gqcuqml
The baptismal basin, made around 1650. It's made from almost 24 carats of gold and weighs 1.350 grammes on top of that it can hold 0.5 litre of water.
Prior to Nikolai's christening no less than fifteen leaks were found and they were sealed with a special lacquer.

https://app.box.com/s/6bibrq8e4d7k215n9meg
Top: From 1632 this chalice is 23 cm high. On it is depicted the Last Supper. The skull symbolize eternal life for all. The eyes are rose-cut diamonds.

Bottom: QMII's personal utensils. Along with that of PH also made of gold and the design is modern, from 1992.
Made in 18 carats gold, rose-gold for QMII and white-gold for PH along with personal initials: M and H.

https://app.box.com/s/hm3wllu1oitg9ygcw9ku
Top: The Greenland tiara. (I read today that there is no more gold to be found in that mine).
Weighing 206 grammes and made from 18 and 20 carats of gold, it consists of 121 flowers and 109 brilliants.
On top of that there are three hair-clams made from horn and 18 carats of gold. Three brooche-thingies also in 18 carats and a couple of 20 carat earclips with 35 brilliants.

Bottom: The book.

Last edited:
very interesting Muhler.
Do these objects belong to the DRF or the state?

very interesting Muhler.
Do these objects belong to the DRF or the state?

Well, apart from the utensils. The rest must, stricktly speaking, belong to the DRF/the monarchy and therefore the state.

Last edited:
Kongehuset har fået ny hofmarskal - Royale | www.bt.dk

QMII has a new Chief of Court to replace Ullerup, who is now ambassador.

The new Chief of Court, Michael Ehrenreich, has a background in both foreign affairs as well as the media, Berlingske Tidende (a conservative newspaper) and Kristeligt Dagblad (also a serious newspaper).
In that capacity he was among other things co-editor and foreign affairs correspondent in New York and London.
Michael Ehrenreich is 60 years old.

- To me that smells like a suitable man for the job:
In depth knowledge about foreign policy, politically he's probably Conservative and just as importantly he understand the media.

And while we are at it: PET-agent udgiver bog om Fogh og de kongelige - Danmark | www.bt.dk

A former PET protection officer has written about his time protecting the DRF but also former PM, Anders Fogh.
The author, Frank Martinsen, claims he does not mention anything that is not public knowledge and as such he has omitted a number of things that he knows about but consider confidential.

- He has not has cleared the book with PET though, because even though protection officers have written about what they have experienced, it has been with the approval of those it concerned and PET.
The last time a fomer PET officer didn't do that, he was almost thrown in jail. He had to submit the material for his book to PET for approval, had to rewrite a few things and got off with a big warning. Had he not that there would have been next to no doubt that he and his publishing editor would have ended up in prison. Publishing abroad would not have saved the former PET officer.
A former officer attached to FET (the military intelligence) ended up in prison for a year, for talking about some fairly harmless details about events in Iraq. IMO he was naive.

Last edited:
And we have a comment from historian and DRF expert, Lars Hovbakke Sørensen about the appointment of Michael Ehrenreich.

He says: "It (the appointment) happens at a time, where we will se a gradual delegation of tasks from the Queen to the Crown Prince, and where there in general will be put focus on creating the right distribution of roles internally". (*)

About the background of Michael Ehrenreich, he says: "It's become important to have an international profile on the job and that fits Ehrenreich, who have an indepth knowledge of foreign political affairs. In that sense it's a smart choice as the DRF in general face having to be internationalised". (**)

What is a chief of court really?
"He is so to speak administrative head of the firm we call the DRF. His job will be to lay down the general guidelines for how the DRF should communicate with the world around it and how the royals should act in regards to the rest of society in councel with the royals themselves".

What do you look for in a chief of court? Because absolutely nothing in that regards have come out.
"You look for one, whom you find credible and excude criedibillity. The Chief of Court get incredibly close to the family and he will also have an intimate view of how the family works".

(*) Presumably meaing that the Chief of Court will be just as much, if not more, Frederik's chief of court as well.

(**) Presumably meaning having an even larger international profile. Probably as a consequence of Mary in particular taking up issues on the international scene - and being good at it.

Jyllands Posten, as the serious newspaper it is, has naturally brought an entire background on Michael Ehrenreich:

First a general portrait: PORTRÆT: Udenrigspolitisk veteran skal bestyre kongehuset - Indland

Who's Who: Blå Bog: Her er den nye hofmarskal - Indland

Erfaren journalist skal være hofmarskal - Indland - Prudently he doesn't say much about his new role.

They've been talking to Lars Hovbakke Sørensen as well: Lektor: Ehrenreichs profil passer perfekt som hofmarskal - Indland
Who doesn't add more than that there will be an increased focus on making the DRF more modern in a global world and more internationally oriented.

Personally, I think that monarchy is superior to the republic. It's my impression that division rules in republics, because a huge minority (and in USA's case sometimes the majority) voted against a president and thus find it difficult to reconcile the fact that this person is supposed to represent you (even though you actively voted against him). I could write a lot on that, but won't bore you.

That is true, but, on the other hand, some people may feel they are not represented by an unelected Head of State who owes his or her position solely to being the first born in a certain family whose ancestors were arbitrarily picked a long time ago to rule the country. In fact, the concept of elevating a particular family above all others in the country and choosing the Head of State exclusively among members of that family by a mere accident of birth may sound crazy for people who live in a republic like the US.

And we have a comment from historian and DRF expert, Lars Hovbakke Sørensen about the appointment of Michael Ehrenreich.

He says: "It (the appointment) happens at a time, where we will se a gradual delegation of tasks from the Queen to the Crown Prince, and where there in general will be put focus on creating the right distribution of roles internally". (*)

About the background of Michael Ehrenreich, he says: "It's become important to have an international profile on the job and that fits Ehrenreich, who have an indepth knowledge of foreign political affairs. In that sense it's a smart choice as the DRF in general face having to be internationalised". (**)

"He is so to speak administrative head of the firm we call the DRF. His job will be to lay down the general guidelines for how the DRF should communicate with the world around it and how the royals should act in regards to the rest of society in councel with the royals themselves".

What do you look for in a chief of court? Because absolutely nothing in that regards have come out.
"You look for one, whom you find credible and excude criedibillity. The Chief of Court get incredibly close to the family and he will also have an intimate view of how the family works".

(*) Presumably meaing that the Chief of Court will be just as much, if not more, Frederik's chief of court as well.

(**) Presumably meaning having an even larger international profile. Probably as a consequence of Mary in particular taking up issues on the international scene - and being good at it.

interesting to read. I guess the shift to Frederik makes sense.
A balance is still needed since the Queen is still the Queen

But Frederik already has a chief of court?

But Frederik already has a chief of court?

Yes, the CP-couple have their own chief of court, but for their court only.

The new chief is "hofmarskal" = Chief of Court of the entire DRF.
We already know that QMII and Frederik co-operate a lot on a day to day basis as it is, but the former Chief of Courty, Uve Ullerup, was appointed by QMII and I doubt Frederik had much influence in that appoitment.
In this case I believe Frederik has had a lot more influence and I also believe that is so because Ehrenreich is expected to serve QMII and well as Frederik, first as a the team they are at present, later on IMO more and more, - until QMII dies if that happens within the next ten years or so.

Yes, the CP-couple have their own chief of court, but for their court only.

The new chief is "hofmarskal" = Chief of Court of the entire DRF.
We already know that QMII and Frederik co-operate a lot on a day to day basis as it is, but the former Chief of Courty, Uve Ullerup, was appointed by QMII and I doubt Frederik had much influence in that appoitment.
In this case I believe Frederik has had a lot more influence and I also believe that is so because Ehrenreich is expected to serve QMII and well as Frederik, first as a the team they are at present, later on IMO more and more, - until QMII dies if that happens within the next ten years or so.

Yes, I know the difference. I was just wondering whether the current position of chief of court for Frederik would perhaps "disappear" completely, if, as you say, "Chief of Court will be just as much, if not more, Frederik's chief of court as well."

BTW, Frederik is patron of The Danish Foreign Policy Society where the new hofmarskal comes from. It's possible that they already know each other.

Last edited:
Yes, I know the difference. I was just wondering whether the current position of chief of court for Frederik would perhaps "disappear" completely, if, as you say, "Chief of Court will be just as much, if not more, Frederik's chief of court as well."

BTW, Frederik is patron of The Danish Foreign Policy Society where the new hofmarskal comes from. It's possible that they already know each other.

I see. :)
No, I don't think that position will vanish. There are after all still two different courts (Joachim's "court" consists of one secretary/adjutant, Kurt Bagge, and our Marie's LiW) and it's good to have an experienced chief of court who can step in, just in case.

Didn't know about Frederik's protection. Well, that reinforce my theory about Frederik very much having a say in picking the new Chief of Court.

I see. :)
Didn't know about Frederik's protection. Well, that reinforce my theory about Frederik very much having a say in picking the new Chief of Court.

There are a few more familiar names to be found at the board of the society:
Bestyrelse

IIRC, Lykke Friis is an old school mate of Frederik's ?

There are a few more familiar names to be found at the board of the society:
Bestyrelse

IIRC, Lykke Friis is an old school mate of Frederik's ?

Yes, she is. Don't think they were friends as such though.

The combined IQ of the former government was halved when Lykke Friis left. She's seriously intelligent!

ADDED:

Victoria Bernstorff. She was a LiW for Mary in the very beginning, wasn't she?

Uffe Ellemann-Jensen, former Foreign Minister. Frederik knows him well.

Kjeld Hillingsøe, fomer Defence Chief and very close friend of the Regent Couple. His daughter, Ellen Hillingsøe, is a very close friend of M&F.

Christian Friis Bach, former Minister for Developement. He worked closely with Mary and was something as rare as a politician with integrity.

Last edited:
BB has had a chat with the new Chief of Court, Michael Ehrenreich, and a closer look at who he is and how he was recruited.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #48, 2014.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

He is 60 years old, with extensive experience in foreign affairs.
He is married to Lemmi Tui, a Swede with Estonian origin. Together they have two daughters in their twenties, Helena and Jeannette.

One day he got a text message (sms in DK): "I was asked to call a specific person. I did and then the idea was presented to me. I was very surprised".
He will not disclose who he got the text from. BB speculates it was from from Frederik.
He continues: "I was given a few days to think the idea over. But the job sounded exciting and interesting and after having spoken with my wife, Lemmi, I replied that we could discuss (the matter) further.
When the surprise had settled in I was in no doubt. I'd like to have the job and really I could see the matter from their (presumably the DRF) point of view. When I was contacted? Relatively recently".

As chief of Court, Michael Ehrenreich will be the head of a staff of some 130 employees. Apart from meeting QMII (and presumably Frederik) on a daily basis to co-ordinate the daily running of things, he will also be in charge of major events, like state visits and the New Years Courts.

Despite being a journalist for many years, he has actually never written about the DRF and he has in fact only met the Regent Couple once before and that was at the New Year Courts last year (or rather this year) where he was present in his capacity as chairman of Foreign Political Council (of which Frederik is patron).

- Another member of Foreign Political Council, Mogens Løkketoft, has announced today that he will be chairman of the UN general assembly for the next year. Mogens Løkketoft is also Chairman of the Parliament, a post he will resign from now.

Last edited:
Yes Victoria Bernstorff was L-in-w to Mary from the very beginning. She was often weighed down with flowers especially on the first Australian tour.

Do you think that Prince Nikolai will attend the Danish New Year Court in 2017? Or are there any rules about age and attending?

Do you think that Prince Nikolai will attend the Danish New Year Court in 2017? Or are there any rules about age and attending?

Probalby only from 2018 as he will turn 18 in 2017.

Probalby only from 2018 as he will turn 18 in 2017.

I think you're right, once he's 18, I'm sure he'll attend. Since Princess Elisabeth always attends, I think Prince Joachim's children will most definitely going to attend once they're adults. :) All those being in line of succession attend.

Last edited:
I can not enter the Royal House website. Is happening to anyone else?

I belive that Count Schack sold the Schackenborg castle due to the high cost of running it, not because Jocum was in line to inherit it, as Count schack has his own children and there are still alive those in the schack linage and also from King Fredrick I line...please update any records to reflect the truth

Perhaps we should have a general DRF anecdote thread?

It's Christmas soon, so all sorts of biographies are being published, also one from Helle Stangerup, an author, who went to school with QMII and who has been friends with the DRF. She has until now maintained a strickt no talk policy.
She has now published an autobiography, where she mentions a few anecdotes about the DRF and these anecdotes are basically mentioned here in this article it appears: Dronningens veninde: Jeg faldt for prins Henrik først - Royale - BT.dk

Helle Stangerup was invited to a midsummer party ny Princess Margrethe's LiW, Wava Armfeldt. (*) Among the guests were, for unknown reasons, three foreign and unknown and unmarried gentlemen.
Stangerup checked them out:
- An English bankier, a bit dull, a handsome Swedish diplomat and an at least just as well turned out French diplomat.

To her it looked like an attempt from Wava Armfeldt to introduce Princess Margrethe to new faces, but there wasn't anything in the air as far as she could tell.

- The Englishman spend at lot of energy talking about finances and the gambling clubs in London (**) while both the Swede and Frenchman danced away on the dancefloor with everybody else but the guest of honor. "Actually I believe I was one of the favorites of the incredibly charming Frenchman, my French was by then still reasonable, perhaps that was the reason but afterwards it took a good deal of time to get him out of the head".
She sighs: "A few danced under the sparkling chandalier at Rosenfeldt (***) however never amounted to more, not even a postcard".

So when Ekstra Bladet wrote that Princess Margrethe had fallen in love with Count Henri de Laborde de Montezat, she didn't believe, until the engagement was announced by the court that same afternoon.

She determines dryly: "No wonder that postcard never came", and she concludes: "Private association with the DRF provides a wealth of experiences, but there is absolutely no inside knowledge going with that".

She recalls going to (high) school with the later QMII. Where the eir to the Throne was not afraid to stand up and say it when a pupil was treated unfairly, completely humilliation the principal in the process.
Both Princess Margrethe and Stangerup were bored stiff, during arithmetic and made paperclippings instead
Years later QMII said in a speech to Stangerup: "We felt very literate because we both had read Gone With the Wind".

She and QMII were taught Philosophy for a year at Fredensborg and the LiW, Wava pointed out to Stangerup: "Do not come one second late for a meal. Never put anything on the King's piano". There were two conversational tabus: Dogs and cardplay. (****)

Stangerup says about Frederik IX that he was an incredible warm person but also known for his violent temper.
There were usually servants around but sometimes the royals were able to improvise themselves out of a problem.

"At a minor occasion in the middle of a lancier, the zipper in the back of the Queen's (QMII) dress suddenly ripped open all the way down but no maid was summoned, nor was there a change of dress.
At Fredensborg there are darkblue tablecloths on the bridge tables and the Queen went straigt to the nearest, tore off the tablecloth, folded it into a triangular shawl and fastened the tips in front of her on the chest with her brooch. That covered the back and the dance could continue".

Alas, there were also problems and Stangerup had to choose when the DRF and Count Schack had a row.
Joachim was supposed to inherit Schackenborg Manor but the manor was in deep debt and pretty derelict too.
(Joachim and the DRF has used very considerable sums bringing that in order and Joachim is still working on renovating the manor. I believe the staircase is in bad shape).

You can read about the meeting between Count Henri and Princess Margrethe and how she fell helplessly in love here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/danish-royal-family-books-8188.html#post1132604

(*) Who was very close to QMII and believe she died not that long ago.

(**) Them kind of topics can swoon any woman. :lol:

(***) A manor.

(****) It's wellknown that Queen Ingrid was not fond of cats and dogs.

Last edited:
:previous: Eh? Count Schack didn't sell Schackenborg.
They had no direct heirs and no one else in the family wished to take over Schackenborg, so it was agreed that Joachim would get the manor.

I suggest you read this article among others: Skulle have arvet Schackenborg: Jeg forstår godt Joachim smutter - Royale | www.bt.dk

BTW. Congratulations on your first post.

As far as I know, the Queen paid a hefty sum for Joachim to take over. In the article you link to, it says that the debt on the place was 22 millions, which prohibited the original heir for taking over.

In the BT article from count Schack's funeral in 2000 the following are written.
The royal house was also very piqued that the count had given the impression that Prince Joachim had been given the palace, when in reality it was bought and paid for by the Queen by an amount in the double digit millions, in which it also was included an agreement of a luxurious pensioner's house for the count and his wife in France.
Joachim og Margrethe til Schacks begravelse - Nyheder | www.bt.dk

:flowers:

Correct the DRF had to settle the debt in the estate and (wich must be considered fair enough) pay for a house for Count Schack as he and his wife were still alive.
But it wasn't sold to the DRF.

Schackenborg was given to the Schack family as a fief in the 1600's, and beforehand a fief could return to the crown, for all sorts of reasons, like no heirs. In this case Count Schack had no children and no one else in the family wanted to take over Schackenborg (and the debt).
The story at the time when Joachim took over was that the estate was in a pretty poor condition. I.e. it hadn't been maintained let alone modernized. The same thing about equipment and the way the place was run. Just as the debt apparently was considerably higher than the DRF were led to believe. In other words the DRF was gullible and learned a lesson the hard way.
That naturally led to, shall we say, less than fond relations between Count Schack in the DRF.

But A) Schackenborg was not sold, it was taken over.
B) They had no children.
C) No one in the Schack family wanted the place. (Who can blame them?)
D) Count Schack didn't do much to keep the place in just reasonable condition.
E) Count Scack and his wife got a house in France as compensation. That house is presumably still in the Schack family, unless they sold the place and divided the money between the various relations after the death of Count Schack.

I have a question i did not know exactly what to put here i hope are okay. Who was the regent when Anne-Marie married Constantine in Athens? I know it very hard to remember someone that but i said to try . Is a little unfair in that someone must always stays back. They can change this?

Thank you Muhler for the explanation. But i wonder why the same is not happen to the other scandinavian countries?

I believe that my question fits here. There was an official visit by the then Kings of Greece (Konstantino -Anna Maria) in Denmark? These how about 2-2.5 years were in Greece after their marriage?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question i did not know exactly what to put here i hope are okay. Who was the regent when Anne-Marie married Constantine in Athens? I know it very hard to remember someone that but i said to try . Is a little unfair in that someone must always stays back. They can change this?

Can't say off hand who remained back when Anne-Marie got married but the law states clearly that in case of the Monarch being abroad (or incapable but that's another matter) the Crown Prince(ss) automatically becomes Regent. In case the Crown Prince is also abroad the Monarch appoints a Rigsforstander. That person is always a member of the DRF and usually, but not always in the line of succession.

When that law was written it made a lot of sense.
The Monarch, apart from being the head of state, is also the commander in chief.
So if all the senior members of the DRF went abroad, the law makers back then thought:
They could all be shipwrecked.
They could be taken prisoners by pirates, robber barons or a foreign country.
They could for whatever other reasons be prevented from returning to Denmark, at least for some time.
Sweden might launch a sneak attack.
There might be a coup d'etat.
There could be a rebellion.
A plaque outbreak.
A major natural disaster. (Nowadays say an asteroid or a super volcano eruption)
- All good reasons to have someone from the DRF back home to take over, just in case.
That is IMO a prudent precaution, also not least since the DRF has a constitutional role. The Regent/ Rigsforstander routinely sign laws in order for them to become valid.

However, there is actually nothing to hinder the Monarch from appointing a commoner as Rigsforstander if the entire DRF were to go somewhere. But that is yet to happen.
In fact QMII could appoint our Marie as Rigsforstander, bypassing both Joachim and Mary, if she wanted to. The only one QMII cannot bypass is Frederik.

Last edited:
Thank you Muhler for the explanation. But i wonder why the same is not happen to the other scandinavian countries?

You are welcome.
You will have to ask in the DRF and NRF forums, but the Swedish Monarch no longer has a practical constitutional role, so there is no need to have someone remaining back in Sweden.

I think that under the wedding between the then Pss Anne-Marie and King Constantine that the danish royal yacht Dannebrog was considered danish soil and therefor no regent/rigsforstander was apointed as King Frederik IX was on danish soil.

But I´m not sure...

Back
Top Bottom