The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 09-08-2022, 05:20 PM
Majesty

Yes, that’s true. However, as far as the Danish throne is concerned I’m not sure that Queen Margrethe wants to abdicate. Frederik may be waiting a while longer.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Well, to me it's not really a question about how old they are or how long they have waited.

To me the most relevant questions are when the heir are in their prime and seen as being ready to take over by the public.
For Frederik that started when he was about 50.

For King Charles, he was in his prime (work wise and experience and so on) about 25 years ago. Whether he was seen to be ready to take over by the general public back then is quite another question, which I not being British feel hesitant about answering.

Victoria is entering her prime for real about now and the public (that's my impression) is feeling that she is about ready to take over.

The circumstances in Norway are of course different, due to Mette-Marit's illness and the time needed for preparing Ingrid. There I think it's a matter of having as many working royals around as possible, buying time for Ingrid.
At 73, Charles is seen by many as being past his prime years of being monarch. I've also seen comments about how this is not seen as any type of forward movement/modernization for the BRF either. Too much dust settled.

As for Frederik...he is more than ready. IN fact, when I saw the level of celebration for his 50th birthday (at the level of what a monarch would get) it really gave the impression that it was finally his (and Mary's) time. And now it feels like some things are going backwards. But Frederik is on par with his peer age group of monarchs like Phillipe, Felipe and W-A (same goes for Mary).

I agree with you about Haakon. Mette-Marit's health makes things very sensitive so Harald is hanging on as long as possible.

Next year is Carl Gustav's 50th jubilee so that will be the big thing next year for the Swedish royals. But yes, Victoria is getting close to being ready in a couple of years.

With monarchs living longer, it means the heirs wait longer and age as they wait. It is a domino effect that we are seeing play out at the moment...and could see play out with Frederik. If some of these monarchs keep refusing to see stepping aside as a viable and respectable option, these monarchies could literally age themselves out of relevance!! And if people don't think that will happen, ask the dinosaurs how they're doing!! I am sure this is not a popular opinion but it is what it is.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, to me it's not really a question about how old they are or how long they have waited.

To me the most relevant questions are when the heir are in their prime and seen as being ready to take over by the public.
For Frederik that started when he was about 50.

For King Charles, he was in his prime (work wise and experience and so on) about 25 years ago. Whether he was seen to be ready to take over by the general public back then is quite another question, which I not being British feel hesitant about answering.

Victoria is entering her prime for real about now and the public (that's my impression) is feeling that she is about ready to take over.

The circumstances in Norway are of course different, due to Mette-Marit's illness and the time needed for preparing Ingrid. There I think it's a matter of having as many working royals around as possible, buying time for Ingrid.
However, Harald is also the one that most often is not able to perform his duties and needs to call in Haakon as regent. Carl Gustaf himself is still very capable (and also younger than Harald and Margrethe) and Margrethe seems fine except for no longer being able to stand for longer periods of time.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:51 PM
Nobility

I thought Margrethe has hinted that she won't abdicate. I could be wrong- I don't speak Danish, and I think a lot of translations are wrong.

I think of the current spares, Victoria is ready, but is also relishing raising her young kids. Her father appears to have no health issues.

(Too often I think the story is that King Charles had to wait too long. But he completely changed the position of the Prince of Wales. His legacy is secured by just that, even if he did no more as King. And those Windsor genes usually mean longevity.)
Old 09-08-2022, 10:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
But in case of monarchs also abdication becomes more and more "normal"
Abdication is only normal in The Netherlands but we have seen this done in Belgium and Spain too. But I highly doubt if the Scandinavian royals are keen on this idea though.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRose View Post
I thought Margrethe has hinted that she won't abdicate. I could be wrong- I don't speak Danish, and I think a lot of translations are wrong.

I think of the current spares, Victoria is ready, but is also relishing raising her young kids. Her father appears to have no health issues.

(Too often I think the story is that King Charles had to wait too long. But he completely changed the position of the Prince of Wales. His legacy is secured by just that, even if he did no more as King. And those Windsor genes usually mean longevity.)
Queen Margrethe has been very clear about her considering her position being for life. As have King Carl Gustav. Neither will abdicate.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Can someone direct me to where I can see what medals Princes Nikolai and Felix have. I was sooo appalled that they were so heavily decorated.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:41 PM
Serene Highness

Thank goodness for BB and photo agencies...if not we would never know about Mary's events (ie like The Mary Foundation one yesterday). Are her patronages and foundation not part of her official duties and responsibilities?
Old 01-12-2023, 09:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie View Post
Thank goodness for BB and photo agencies...if not we would never know about Mary's events (ie like The Mary Foundation one yesterday). Are her patronages and foundation not part of her official duties and responsibilities?
The DRF calendar is so unreliable, it's ridiculous. A major own goal as the press department, who I assume is responsible for the website, should be perfectly aware by now that the press only rely on that when accumulating engagement totals for pieces like the clickbaity "Frederik is so lazy" article, Ekstra Bladet ran last week. What's the point of having a calendar if it's not comprehensible?

Old 01-13-2023, 02:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
The DRF calendar is so unreliable, it's ridiculous. A major own goal as the press department, who I assume is responsible for the website, should be perfectly aware by now that the press only rely on that when accumulating engagement totals for pieces like the clickbaity "Frederik is so lazy" article, Ekstra Bladet ran last week. What's the point of having a calendar if it's not comprehensible?
Yes, I've seen the blog bean counters and the tumblr confessions about how lazy Mary and Frederik are and how he's the worst heir ever, etc. If only someone over at the DRF communications office, or whoever handles social media, calendaring and PR would get it through their antiquated heads that this ineptitude at properly keeping the CPC's calendars is doing not only a disservice to M&F but to the DRF and monarchy in general. Now I don't mean to pad the calendar with every 1 minute text message or zoom call like some do...but Mary has schedule meeting with the Mary Foundation. I am sure Frederik has meetings with officials as well. When they go on their official visits there are meetings for that as well. So what if there is no press accessibility..that is still work. And that press access is now just a weak excuse given the lack of press their events are getting now. People look at social media for their news...not just newspapers. They should really take a look at how the Spanish and Dutch royals handle their event coverage.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Have to agree.

I have simply given up trying to figure out why the DRF publish so little information about about what they are up to.
A daily blog.
Real in depth information about the various protections and causes.
News. - (Ukraine has for example just praised QMII. No mentioning or why.)
Mini documentaries, say a day at the office, following a DRF member to an event.
Behind the scenes features.
What is the staff doing, from cleaners to chief of court.
More photos, even something as mundane as say Mary behind her desk will be interesting.
Explaining rituals and traditions.
A weekly historical feature - with the DRF having been around for more than 1.000 years, there should be plenty of material!
A weekly photo tour of a room in one of the palaces.
Q&A: like what is valet doing?

- I mean if an ignoramus like me can come up with this, what can a true professional in communication and PR come up with?
Old 01-13-2023, 02:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Have to agree.

I have simply given up trying to figure out why the DRF publish so little information about about what they are up to.
A daily blog.
Real in depth information about the various protections and causes.
News. - (Ukraine has for example just praised QMII. No mentioning or why.)
Mini documentaries, say a day at the office, following a DRF member to an event.
Behind the scenes features.
What is the staff doing, from cleaners to chief of court.
More photos, even something as mundane as say Mary behind her desk will be interesting.
Explaining rituals and traditions.
A weekly historical feature - with the DRF having been around for more than 1.000 years, there should be plenty of material!
A weekly photo tour of a room in one of the palaces.
Q&A: like what is valet doing?

- I mean if an ignoramus like me can come up with this, what can a true professional in communication and PR come up with?
Those are all excellent ideas! And not that difficult (or costly) to execute. The material is all at their finger tips! Is it so difficult to have let's say an intern go with them to an event to properly document it? It is isn't like the press cares at this point. Mary/Frederik have had events with actual patronages that have gotten zero coverage!! I'll add that it is also a disservice to the patronage/organization as well...isn't part of having a royal patron to garner wider attention for your initiative, program, organization, cause, event, etc? This is not rocket science!

And once again, publishing Mary's speeches from her last two events is a waste of time! People do not go to websites to read speeches! But, they will click on a link to their YouTube channel to see a video of her speech (w/English subtitles I might add). I've seen comments in other videos of M&F's events with people begging for English subtitles! How hard is it to do?
The YouTube channel for the Spanish Royal Family is amazing! They even provide live streams of gala dinners, state visit events and other big events. They also use their Twitter account to great effect. The Dutch Royals also are fantastic at using their Twitter....one of Maxima's last visits had more content posted from her first day of events than we got for the entirety of M&F's official trip to Vietnam!! That's a problem...especially in this digital age! People will lose interest in what they are doing if they are given the impression M&F are doing nothing! I seriously don't understand the thought-process tbh. It is absolutely asinine and shooting themselves in the foot.

Christian turns 18 in October! That is a huge deal! Why not start now to give a profile of Christian. I don't mean invade his privacy...but start slowly doing some PR for it. Don't tell me people would not be interested in that!

Also, what is up with Frederik going MIA for days lately? His last public event was 1/7 and he didn't have another one until 1/17. Where is he for 10 days? This has been happening more since October 2022 (December holidays aside). And it seems to be happening with Mary as well more. They go MIA for days.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:19 PM
Serene Highness

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...ard-gaaet-bort

The Ob/Gyn that delivered all the children of Crown Princess Mary/Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Marie/Prince Joachim has passed away at the age of 62 after a cancer battle of several years.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-joach...ronprinsparret

Joachim is going to be Rigsforstander in week #6, that's next week. The school winter holidays are in week #7, sometimes week #8.

The reason is that QMII is going on holiday in Norway as she usually do this time of year, while M&F will also go on holiday but it is not disclosed where. Perhaps Verbier in Switzerland.

It is not known whether our Marie and the children will also be in DK. But I guess they will.

Are there winter holidays in French schools? And if so, when?

- Interesting that M&F chose to go on holiday in week 6, that means two weeks off for their children. Especially as I presume their chalet in Verbier will always be available for them when they want to.
I guess we will have to wait a couple of weeks to learn where they are going.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:42 PM
Serene Highness

Hope the DRF acknowledge how well Greenland is doing at the Arctic Winter Games going on right now in Canada given Greenland is part of the Danish realm. Greenland is one of the teams participating...they've one 10 medals so far, 4 of them gold.
For anyone interested, here is the link: https://awg2023.gems.pro/Result/Meda...Language=en-GB

The Wood Buffalo 2023 Arctic Winter Games includes athletes from the Northwest Territories, Yukon, Nunavut, Alaska, Greenland, Nunavik (Northern Quebec), northern Alberta and the Indigenous people (Sami) of Norway, Sweden and Finland.

The games run from 1/29 through 2/4.
https://awg2023.org/
"...You can be your own kind of leader – one who knows when it’s time to go.” Wise words from New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern upon announcing she would be stepping down. (You cannot see what is best for all when your vision is clouded by ego)
Old 01-31-2023, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-joach...ronprinsparret

Joachim is going to be Rigsforstander in week #6, that's next week. The school winter holidays are in week #7, sometimes week #8.

The reason is that QMII is going on holiday in Norway as she usually do this time of year, while M&F will also go on holiday but it is not disclosed where. Perhaps Verbier in Switzerland.

It is not known whether our Marie and the children will also be in DK. But I guess they will.

Are there winter holidays in French schools? And if so, when?

- Interesting that M&F chose to go on holiday in week 6, that means two weeks off for their children. Especially as I presume their chalet in Verbier will always be available for them when they want to.
I guess we will have to wait a couple of weeks to learn where they are going.
Do they always go on such extensive holidays a month apart, considering they were just in Australia?
Old 02-01-2023, 01:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Do they always go on such extensive holidays a month apart, considering they were just in Australia?
Nope. They usually spend Christmas in Denmark. Australia was the first time in 5 years. February is usually their skiing holiday. We'll see what they actually end up doing for the next week.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie View Post
Hope the DRF acknowledge how well Greenland is doing at the Arctic Winter Games going on right now in Canada given Greenland is part of the Danish realm. Greenland is one of the teams participating...they've one 10 medals so far, 4 of them gold.
For anyone interested, here is the link: https://awg2023.gems.pro/Result/Meda...Language=en-GB

The Wood Buffalo 2023 Arctic Winter Games includes athletes from the Northwest Territories, Yukon, Nunavut, Alaska, Greenland, Nunavik (Northern Quebec), northern Alberta and the Indigenous people (Sami) of Norway, Sweden and Finland.

The games run from 1/29 through 2/4.
https://awg2023.org/
I'm sure Frederik keeps an eye on the results.
It's no secret he reads Greenlandic news.
I also believe that had he been king, it would in some way have been marked by the DRF.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I'm sure Frederik keeps an eye on the results.
It's no secret he reads Greenlandic news.
I also believe that had he been king, it would in some way have been marked by the DRF.
I agree 100% with your last point. There would have been some acknowledgement and a nice public relations touch. IMO the people of Greenland would have been very appreciative to be given a "shout out". In fact, I think there would have been acknowledgements of a couple of recent events in DK that would have been marked with at least a social media post. It is simple PR that shows that you are attuned to what is happening in DK and with the people (good, bad, sad, etc.). It shows a leader that is aware, informed and in-touch.
"...You can be your own kind of leader – one who knows when it’s time to go.” Wise words from New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern upon announcing she would be stepping down. (You cannot see what is best for all when your vision is clouded by ego)
Old 02-02-2023, 01:09 PM
Serene Highness

Huh...interesting:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...s-sat-til-salg

The villa in France, which Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik had built, has been put up for sale.
A unique opportunity to buy a house with a royal touch has presented itself.

The house next door to Queen Margrethe's southern French wine castle, Château de Cayx, has been put up for sale.

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik had the villa, which is for sale, built in 2008, and it has served as a villa for the PET guards who were at work when the royal family visited the palace.

Tags
christian, danish law, isabella, mary: crown princess of denmark, royal dinner services