General Questions and Information about the Danish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I looked up the word 'rigsforstander' in Statstidende and it only shows up for twice; both published on February 23. The first one was signed on February 10 announcing that Frederik will "insert (...) Her Majesty Queen Margrethe to, as regent (rigsforstander), lead the government in Our name from today until Our return. " because both he and the crown prince will be abroad. On the one signed on the 18th, his return was announced, including that he took over the leadership of the government again.

There are no results for either 'Regent' or 'Christian', so it seems that when Christian takes over is not included at all - I assume, because it is automatic as soon as Frederik is out of the country, so no special 'bill' needs to be passed/signed.

So, the advice to look it up in practice means that in hindsight (about 2 weeks later, when the king has already returned) you might find out who was acting head of state - but only if a rigsforstander was appointed, i.e., it is not Christian.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Well, that's not particular impressive.

How is it possible to make a mess out of something so simple?
Most people on the planet are able to write an update on a public calendar. Some of us are required to do it in connection with our jobs - simply to make things run more smoothly.
Fortunately it's not long to bedtime, I'm getting a headache from shaking my head.

ADDED: Christian acting as Regent is automatic, and IIRC doesn't have to be announced. But the appointment of a Rigsforstander is exactly that, an appointment, and that must be announced in Statstidende.
Still, if Christian was Regent, why not mention it? It's an unnecessary secret. It's really none of our business why Christian was Regent, if he was, (it could be something as mundane as him making calls to Ullrich in the big phone in the bathroom.) but it is our business to know who formally runs the country at any given time.

Last edited:
Were you not being serious when the beginning of your post said things were being changed for the better, @Muhler?
That's what the DRF has now announced after considerable criticism in the press. (Even DM is running a story about it.) - Let's hope it will change for the better from now on.

That's what the DRF has now announced after considerable criticism in the press. (Even DM is running a story about it.) - Let's hope it will change for the better from now on.

"From now on, it will again be possible to get clarity on who is regent or head of state by looking in the Royal Household's calendar.
The Royal House informs BT"

So they tried something and learned from it. Good. I always liked when things are listed on calendars, although for many being Regent or Rigsforstander was no big deal. Now we know it is ; )

So they announced the whole family were on holiday only for the flag to reveal that actually they hadn't? And people get in such a state over other royals PR. I'd go as far as to say that the DRF PR office lied, at the very least they knowingly allowed the media to report information that was not correct.

This is shocking IMO. It reflects poorly on the new King but also on the Communications Staff who should have stood up to him and said this simply won't do. I hope that is indeed the message sent to Fred otherwise the Comms team is at fault and needs replacing. No RF is well served by a team of "yes people".

"From now on, it will again be possible to get clarity on who is regent or head of state by looking in the Royal Household's calendar.
The Royal House informs BT"

So they tried something and learned from it. Good. I always liked when things are listed on calendars, although for many being Regent or Rigsforstander was no big deal. Now we know it is ; )
I agree 100%. They tried to revise the way one thing was done when and like you said learned it maybe sounded easier in theory. Or, maybe they gave people too much credit and now realise they have to spell everything out for people. No harm done. So they just said okay we will go back to spelling it out on the calendar. They did not dig in their heels like maybe other RFs would have done regardless of how much people complained and asked questions.

Princess Benedikte has a new lady in waiting, it was announced today:

Both her new and former LiW are from old noble families.
The ever present Ahlefeldt-Laurvig family and the Iuel family (pronounced in English like yule as in yuletide).

Back
Top Bottom