General News about the Danish Royal Family Part 3: November 2015 - August 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #46, 2017.
Written by our sports commentator Ulrik Ulriksen.

As you know by now M&F with their oldest son and Joachim with Felix attended the Irish-Danish match in Copenhagen. This match ended undecided, but the return match in Ireland was another matter. More on that later.
Joachim and Felix and some friends arrived first, later to be joined by M&F.
Before that Christian had attended a school event for several schools. The Lego-League competition, which consisted of driving robots, co-operation, research. Here his parents were among those who cheered the children. - There are no pictures in BB. BB has a policy of not showing the DRF at school or with friends, unless it's an official DRF-event.
After the match Joachim met some Irish fans who asked: "May we have a selfie with you, your Royal Highness"? - "Yes, of course". So Joachim posed with them. Afterwards one of the Irish said: "It was a better experience than the match". (? Yes!)

- There was a return match in Dublin, which Denmark very much won!
As always, and as can be expected, the Irish are the best soccer-supporters in the world. When the Danish supporters walked from the stadium through the streets of Dublin the Irish supporters came out and applauded the Danish supporters, who in return applauded the Irish team.
That is true sportsmanship, especially considering the Irish defeat.
Cheers to the Boys in Green. :irelandflag::cheers:☘️

The BB issue: BB #46, 2017

Last edited:
Wow........Talk about men being true sportsmen and gentlemen, this is just amazing to hear. This makes me have faith in the human race and the civil ways that we can still treat each other with respect. Having my heritage of Irish makes me proud that those young men applauded the Danish and how it came back to them ........Thank You Muhler!?

:previous: And you have every reason to be proud. ?

I managed to find a video of the mood in Dublin after the match, in this case mainly featuring the Danish, but you can hear the Irish too:

The Danish police praised the Irish fans, when they visited Copenhagen, and would welcome them back again.

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #48, 2017.
Where a Birthe Vejrum would like to know about the immunity of the DRF.

Jon Bloch Skipper responds that the immunity in principle could encompass the whole extended DRF family, but he (and in general) interpret the immunity to encompass those in line for the throne and their spouses.

The Constitution and the KIN Law of 1865 states that only the Monarch can sentence a member of his/her family if that person has committed a crime. Alternatively decide that the person in question must face trial.

BB has compiled a DRF-review of the year in three segments of about 15 minutes or so.
The first segment concentrate on the children
The second is about the problems and challenges QMII has had during the year.
The third is about Mary and our Marie's style.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/glaed-jer-aaret-i-kongehuset-med-billed-bladet

I'll get back to this when I get around to watch it.

--------------------

Okay, I've watched it. And I think most here will enjoy it.
Very good photo stills! Many have not been shown before.
Nice good quality clips.
It was basically three royal reporters from BB, with the editor-in-chief who talked about the subject.
There wasn't anything new or original and that means those of you who don't understand a word of Danish can enjoy this short video as well.

- An absolute worth-see IMO.

Last edited:
I've just seen the second part of the BB review of the year of the DRF.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-kongehuset-del-2-kongelige-glaeder-og-sorger

20 minutes. Focusing on the death of Prince Richard. He went home, sat down in a chair and died. - That's not a bad way to die IMO.
The funeral and how Benedikte coped, but also the surprisingly large and genuine grieving attendance at his funeral.

The divorce of Princess Alexandra and how she has fallen in love again.

The Main focus is on PH and his dementia. The period up to his diagnosis being published and how QMII has coped.
It was interesting to hear the reporter Trine Larsen (she's usually interesting to listen to anyway) who has followed PH closely for years.
She had noticed that he had changed in the past couple of years. That he kept repeating things and constantly brought up subjects that troubled him - the king-issue you know. She put it down to him being an old man.
(Fortunately we are spared the interview outside Chateau Cayz).

The more subdued Golden Anniversary is also covered.

There is a mentioning of Frederik's 50th B-day celebrations next year. That's gonna be big!
And a certain Harry and Meghan are also mentioned... - To be covered next year.

All in all, if you look apart from the good stills and clips, this is a can-see for non-Danish speakers and a should-see for those who understand Danish.

The year with the Danish Royal Family (2017)

I think we should start a topic about the "Year of the Royal family of Denmark"

There is a DRF tradition that goes back to mid 1800's. That the individual members of the DRF get a personal march composed and presented to them.
In that march are subtle references to that person. Like distinct French tunes to PH and a clear Australian sound in Mary's march.

QMII is talking about the marches in this short video:
Mary's march is around 1:50 - and I'm pretty sure I can hear Waltzing Mathilda.

BB about the same topic, with a link to all the current marches.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...denne-musik-betyder-noget-saerligt-dronningen

The third BB DRF-review of the year video is up: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...insesse-mary-straalede-til-de-store-kongelige

And this time it's the festive and glittering events, so lots of dresses coming up.

- I'm going to watch it now and add a little more to this post later.

-----------

Okay, watched it. No new details, just enjoy the glitter.
You can watch it with the sound turned off and without understanding a word of Danish.

Last edited by a moderator:
A great video with the subtitles in English. Thank you so much ! :flowers:

Thank you so very much for I just finished watching it and will watch it again later today........just loved it, what a wonderful video of the royal family.

In view of the recent missile warning on Hawaii, that turned out to be a mistake (or a test?) let's have a brief view of what will happen should something similar occur here in DK.

The threat of war, let alone a missile attack is at present considered to be unlikely and as such it's not high on the contingency list for the Total Defense of Denmark.
These are: Major terrorist attacks, chemical accidents, nuclear accidents - as well as a number of local events, like flooding or a major fire.

But let us imagine that a missile is launched from say North Korea directed against Northern Europe.
The missile tracking systems are still in place, so it will be detected almost at once and within a few minutes a rough estimation of the target will be calculated. And within some more time it is possible to pin point where the missile will impact.
Okay, during the Cold War an intercontinental missile took about half an hour to reach it's target half a globe away, so that's the time-frame for this scenario.

We start at -30 minutes.
Within a number of minutes the authorities in Denmark will be alerted that a missile is incoming via NATO. It's roughly -25 minutes now.
There is always someone on duty at the Defense Command here in DK. Within a couple of minutes the button will be pressed, starting the "air-raid sirens" - which today is used from time to time to alert the public whenever something serious happens.
We are now around -22 minutes.

At the same time messages will be written and send out to the major networks and papers and a number of key-persons who are to be evacuated. Among them are the key-members of the DRF.
QMII, PH, M&F and their children. - Joachim and his family are lower on the list, but are likely to be informed within some time. But they are to a higher degree left on their own. - That is based on what was to happen during the Cold War.

There is no cell-broadcast system in place in Denmark like in Hawaii, or the Netherlands and Norway. It's a question of funding and necessity and there is a risk of collapsing an already severely strained telephone system.
So people hearing the sirens are supposed to go indoor, close all windows and turn on radio or TV or log in to the news sites on their mobiles and await information and instructions.

It's now -20 minutes.
Key persons like the DRF are supposed to be evacuated in the case of a missile attack. Preferably to the government nuclear shelter REGAN EAST (Which you can read about in the general residence thread). Along with key government members.
This is where the adjutants and PET officers or the guards commander on duty at the palaces come in.
It's their job to ensure the DRF members are whisked away to a safe location.
Let's imagine they are all at Amalienborg at say 18.59 when the adjutants (or whoever it is) burst in. Dragging them down to the courtyard where the cars are waiting. - In total confusion, with scared parents and equally scared children. PH will literally have to be carried away.

it's now -15 minutes.
Ideally a helicopter will be scrambled and pick up the DRF to fly them off to REGAN EAST. A likely place would be Kastellet, a military HQ about a kilometer from Amalienborg.
They will be there at roughly -11 minutes.

The military helicopters that can evacuate the DRF - as well as key government members, so several helicopters will be needed, are AFAIK all stationed in Jutland at least hour away. So unless there are helicopters around Copenhagen, there is no way the DRF can be evacuated to REGAN EAST.
Now, Kastellet, being a military HQ, has limited shelters and that's where the DRF will be taken down to.
It's now -5 minutes.

We don't know how accurate the incoming missile is, nor do we know at least with certainty the yield of the warhead. But let's assume it's accurate enough to hit Copenhagen center.
Okay, in my estimation the shelters at Kastellet should be able to survive an atomic blast, but a hydrogen blast of 100 KT and up makes it much more doubtful. And unless the shelters are in working order and not used as a convenient depot, i.e. with a working pressure system, they will at the very least be exposed to a good deal of radioactive fallout.
They will still have a much higher chance of avoiding radiation sickness, since they can shower, than the rest of the population.

Impact.
In this scenario it's IMO an open question as to whether the core members of the DRF will survive.
Ironically since Joachim and his family live in a solid house north of Copenhagen and is likely to be home at this time of the day, combined with Joachim's and indeed our Marie's training, they have a very good chance of surviving. Even a moderate hydrogen blast.

I must emphasize that this is a qualified guess under the most ideal circumstances for a surprise attack.
I base this very much on what I read and hear and on my time in a NBC recce unit as a conscript and later on the post-nuclear-attack scenarios we practiced during my time in the Home Guard. This was however back in the late 80's to early 90's.

It makes it even more complicated if the various members of the DRF are scattered. The children are at school. Frederik is at the office at Amalienborg. Mary is on the job somewhere and QMII is at say Fredensborg.
If M&F's four children are at school, it will first and foremost be the job of their PET officers to ensure their safety until someone else takes over.
PET officers who are likely to be in a state of shock, provided they are uninjured. Who are unable to contact anyone due to EMP, who are worried sick about their own families...

Last edited:
Last night was the night of the annual national telethon Danmarks Indsamling. This year's telethon was a part of the "Help Children Without A Home" campaign.

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's Fund donated 500.000 DKK and Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary's Fund donated 250.000 DKK. In addition to that, there was a small feature from Mary's visit to Mali last year which (maybe) can be seen here (don't know if it's geoblocked though).

Kongehuset.dk compiled a nice little article on the donations where you can see the donations the two funds have made through the 12 years the telethon has been running.

In total 78.868.425 DKK were donated at the culmination of the show but the campaign continues throughout February.

Just watched this video. Great that it had English subtitles. Learned some things. Thank you for posting it. :flowers:
I am loving the approaching spring but winter and Christmas are so special. ❤️

The year with the Danish Royal Family (2017)

I think we should start a topic about the "Year of the Royal family of Denmark"

It would appear the court mourning is going to be interpreted pretty strictly.

Mary has cancelled an event, that could hardly be labelled celebratory.
I discussed it with another member and I fear we will hardly see the DRF members at all for the remainder of the court mourning, that is for the next two weeks.
It would IMO seem like only the absolutely necessary events like audiences, meetings in the State Council and ambassadors, that is events that are directly linked to the function as head of state, will be undertaken.

Oh well, never mind. I've got a chapter to translate and a booklet to scan.

:previous: I don't get it at all.

Isn't that within the court mourning period?
And a celebratory dinner is a pretty festive thing I'd imagine.

Never mind, as long as they are out and about.

That sounds festive to me
Oh well! Perhaps the ladies will be in mourning colors!

How are the Danes reacting to the DRF staying out of sight after Henrik's passing and service?

How are the Danes reacting to the DRF staying out of sight after Henrik's passing and service?

As far as there are any reactions at all those I hear about tend to go along these lines: Come on, mourning doesn't mean totally out of sight! - Which I agree with. PH was an old man, who was not well. It would be a totally different matter had it been a younger member of the DRF or worse: a child.
The press hasn't touched the subject, only covered the whereabouts of QMII - staying with friends in Norway and that we are going to see her and M&F this Sunday.

(..)

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #11, 2018.
Written by Trine Larsen

As you know by now QMII hosted a gala for members of the air force who have served for 25 years or longer.

The award they receive is called King Frederik's Honorary Award, after Frederik IX, and it was started in 1953.
Each year the Monarch host such a dinner for one of the three branches of the military and always on 11th March.
The recipients attend without spouse.

This year is was the air force that was honored and as such Frederik drove in from Amalienborg wearing the mess uniform of the air force.
There are no details in the article about Mary's dress.
The article offers an explanation as to why some officers wore the gala uniform while others wore the mess uniform.

- The BB journalists have many qualities but knowledge about military matters are usually not among them, but here we go.
Some officers decided to "only" wear the mess uniform at this gala dinner out of respect of the DRF being in mourning.
That to me sounds like a very civilian explanation. And I doubt Frederik would "dress down" i.e. dress incorrectly for the event.
But this is the air force, so who knows...;)?

The event was however influenced by the official court mourning in the sense that the music was less festive and more subdued.
When QMII entered the hall she did so to the tune of Le Régiment de Sambre et Meuse, based on a poem by Paul Cezano - which was a nod to PH. (Perhaps some of our French friends can tell us a little bit about the significance of this march?)
The dinner ended to the tunes of PH's Honorary March.

But you can feast your eyes on the scans of the article here, including a small photo of how Mary's dress looked like without the cape.

There are also some wonderful photos of Estelle that I simply couldn't resist scanning.
Oh, and I've included last weeks issue as well, even though nothing happened.

BB #11, 2018

BB #10, 2018

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #11, 2018.
Written by Trine Larsen

As you know by now QMII hosted a gala for members of the air force who have served for 25 years or longer.

The award they receive is called King Frederik's Honorary Award, after Frederik IX, and it was started in 1953.
Each year the Monarch host such a dinner for one of the three branches of the military and always on 11th March.
The recipients attend without spouse.

This year is was the air force that was honored and as such Frederik drove in from Amalienborg wearing the mess uniform of the air force.
There are no details in the article about Mary's dress.
The article offers an explanation as to why some officers wore the gala uniform while others wore the mess uniform.

- The BB journalists have many qualities but knowledge about military matters are usually not among them, but here we go.
Some officers decided to "only" wear the mess uniform at this gala dinner out of respect of the DRF being in mourning.
That to me sounds like a very civilian explanation. And I doubt Frederik would "dress down" i.e. dress incorrectly for the event.
But this is the air force, so who knows...;)?

The event was however influenced by the official court mourning in the sense that the music was less festive and more subdued.
When QMII entered the hall she did so to the tune of Le Régiment de Sambre et Meuse, based on a poem by Paul Cezano - which was a nod to PH. (Perhaps some of our French friends can tell us a little bit about the significance of this march?)
The dinner ended to the tunes of PH's Honorary March.

But you can feast your eyes on the scans of the article here, including a small photo of how Mary's dress looked like without the cape.

There are also some wonderful photos of Estelle that I simply couldn't resist scanning.
Oh, and I've included last weeks issue as well, even though nothing happened.

BB #11, 2018

BB #10, 2018

Muhler, you piqued my curiosity and I looked up "le regiment de Sambre et de Meuse". It was written after the Franco Prussian war and tells the story of the regiment that "always walked the glorious road to immortality while singing out its love of freedom". The regimental leader was old and wanted to beat a retreat but the soldiers refused to listen and fought "a battle of giants to the end and even while dying they closed their ranks". Only one soldier remained alive, tells the poem, and when he realized his fate, he killed himself. The march clearly celebrates team spirit and the idea of one for all and all for one. It is used as a football song by the University of Ohio; I have an idea of why this song was chosen by HM, but perhaps you and other forum members can share your thoughts here.:whistling:

Muhler, you piqued my curiosity and I looked up "le regiment de Sambre et de Meuse". It was written after the Franco Prussian war and tells the story of the regiment that "always walked the glorious road to immortality while singing out its love of freedom". The regimental leader was old and wanted to beat a retreat but the soldiers refused to listen and fought "a battle of giants to the end and even while dying they closed their ranks". Only one soldier remained alive, tells the poem, and when he realized his fate, he killed himself. The march clearly celebrates team spirit and the idea of one for all and all for one. It is used as a football song by the University of Ohio; I have an idea of why this song was chosen by HM, but perhaps you and other forum members can share your thoughts here.:whistling:

Thanks. :flowers:

Well, it's clearly a reference to the French elán.
Something PH to a considerable extent possessed. So I guess that's where the connotation lies.

What are your thoughts and why on earth has the University of Ohio, of all places, chosen this song?!?

The Danish Royal House share stories about Easter this week!

"It is soon Easter, and this week there are pictures and stories of the royal special Easter treasures.

Here is a special golden egg from 1720, which is believed to be the inspiration for the later known Fabergé eggs. For over 30 years from 1885 onwards, the Russian Jewels created the precious easter eggs that have since become world famous. The story is that the Russian Emperor Alexander III and the Danish-born Emperor Dagmar saw this golden egg belonging to the Emperor's mother, Queen Louise. The egg originated from France and was made as a gift from Charlotte of Orléans to the English Queen Caroline. The egg was inherited from King Frederik 6's wife, Queen Marie Sophie Frederikke, to Queen Louise.
Back in Russia, the emperor asked the jeweler Peter Carl Fabergé to make an egg to the Emperor for the Easter, and thus the tradition was created for the famous Fabergé Easter eggs."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgx4H_tAKfJ/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Another Day , another Easter story

"Every year until Easter in the late 1800s, the female members of the Russian Emperor family received small and large easter eggs made by the Russian jeweler Peter Carl Fabergé. It became a custom that the small eggs were assembled in a chain that could be worn around the neck or hung up on the wall or in a showcase as a decoration. Here are some of these necklaces and bracelets with miniature Easter eggs, currently owned by H.H. Princess Elisabeth. "

I love them!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg0ST8TgQsT/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Today's Easter treasure - a paper clip by H.C. Andersen, who presented it to King Christian 9. On the back he had written "In every leaf is a magic. There is a living soul in there.":

** Photo **

Last edited:
Easter Story today. A very lovely video!!

"In the early 1970s, Prince Henrik took this narrow film by D.K.H. Crown Prince and Prince Joachim, who together with H.M. The queen found Easter eggs in Marselisborg Castle Park."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg5jpFWg1Xg/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

And today we have

"At Marselisborg Castle, H.M. The queen decorated with his homemade Easter eggs on spring-leaf branches"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg8G0rsAxhx/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Another Easter story today

"The jeweler Fabergé made this Easter egg-inspired cigarette lighter, belonging to H.K.H Princess Benedikte, in the first half of the 1890s. At the top of the egg there is room for a wick from which the cigarette can turn on"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg-pgqYA_h0/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

And today wish from Marselisborg

"Glædelig påske." Happy Easter!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhBJDb1g02p/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom