General News about the Danish Royal Family Part 3: November 2015 - August 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about some gossip at the end of the year ;)
Margrethes mareridt: Kongefamilien i opløsning - Herognu

The DRF is dissolving!

-Henrik embarrasses Margerthe (that's true for sure)
-Henrik has to give up on his dream (his sons don't bother with wine)
-Joachim gives up Schackenborg/Jutland area to live a jet set life in Copenhagen
-Mary's stepmother missing at Margrethe's birthday festivities
-Frederik and Joachim and their families are avoiding each other: Joachim missed Graasten (preferred to go on holiday in France) while Frederik missed Christmas (preferred to go on holiday in Australia)
-Alex divorcing Martin, upsetting her sons.

:lol::lol:
First through three are correct somewhat.
Does Mary's stepmother have to go to the Queen's birthday, especially if she had an illness in her family.
This is the first Christmas Frederik and Mary have not spent in Denmark so no need to hit the panic button. These couples don't have to be best friends, they get along just fine and see each other the whole year . Frederik and Joachim recently went to a soccer game with their sons.
Number 5 is true too and I wish nothing but the best for Nikolai and Felix .

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #53, 2015.
Written by Ken Richter.

Who spend part of his Christmas standing outside Aarhus Cathedral.

In the afternoon on 24th the whole family went to Christmas at the cathedral, and as always the church was filled to the max, 1.300 seats. The DRF however, have their own little space.
When the DRF left the service as the first, the congregation stood up.
On the 25th it was again time for a service, this time too mademoiselle Athena and bette Henrik were there. PH, the French guests and the children left early, while QMII, Joachim and Marie stayed for communion.
But on the 26th QMII went alone.

It was a small Christmas celebration at Marselisborg this year. Only the Regent Couple, J&M with children and our Marie's mother, Francoise Grassiot with husband Christian Grassiot.

https://app.box.com/s/06h5crsg2hz174c0cmlmvs6ehqdsdiv2
https://app.box.com/s/x67uzpwg5y0hq6ligl3ygv9vzg76vsbl

The DRF had also invited 40 homeless for Christmas dinner at the Amalienborg complex.

This article should perhaps be placed elsewhere, but here we go.

Kronprins Frederik forbereder sig på at skulle være konge: Sådan skaber han sig sit eget netværk - Royale | www.bt.dk
BT has an article saying that Frederik is establishing his own network for when he is taking over as king.
As evidence they put forward the guest-lists at the recent royal hunts (where you are invited to attend) compaing PH, Frederik and Joachim each hosting a hunt.

And glancing over the names and titles they are indeed very different.

Joachim is easiest. That took place in Southern Jutland, so on the guest-lists were a number of locals. Mayors, local editors and predominantly local businessmen.

PH's lists consist of old friends, nobles well established older businessmen.

Frederik's list consist of a representative from the government, from the environment, a number of what I will label current businessmen and personal friends.

- So yes, Frederik was out hunting with his network, but I'll claim it is by now well established and not being created.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #53, 2015.
Written by Ken Richter.

Who spend part of his Christmas standing outside Aarhus Cathedral.

In the afternoon on 24th the whole family went to Christmas at the cathedral, and as always the church was filled to the max, 1.300 seats. The DRF however, have their own little space.
When the DRF left the service as the first, the congregation stood up.
On the 25th it was again time for a service, this time too mademoiselle Athena and bette Henrik were there. PH, the French guests and the children left early, while QMII, Joachim and Marie stayed for communion.
But on the 26th QMII went alone.

It was a small Christmas celebration at Marselisborg this year. Only the Regent Couple, J&M with children and our Marie's mother, Francoise Grassiot with husband Christian Grassiot.

https://app.box.com/s/06h5crsg2hz174c0cmlmvs6ehqdsdiv2
https://app.box.com/s/x67uzpwg5y0hq6ligl3ygv9vzg76vsbl

The DRF had also invited 40 homeless for Christmas dinner at the Amalienborg complex.
Muhler-I'm not a Lutheran so I'm not familiar with their services. Could you please explain something to me? Does the communion service happen after the regular one? Or was this just a good time for little Henrik and Athena to leave with their maternal grandmother?

On the Frederik et Mary site, there is an announcement that on March 15 there will be a grand ball at Christiansborg to honor those involved in Danish culture. The last such ball was held in 2009. Tiaras! Ball gowns! I hope Mary wears either her pink dress from the formal portrait or the blue one she wore to the Swedish wedding last summer. It should be a treat for royal watchers.

Last edited:
Summary of an intereting article in Billed Bladet #04, 2016.
Written by Dorte Quist & Ulrik Ulriksen.

Who are comparing the different styles of Frederik and Joachim when on the job.
Now, BB's articles are invariably angled in a positive light, but the observations are nevertheless interesting.

They have based this particular comparison on Frederik presenting the Danish Tech Challenge Award and Joachim presenting an annual award, the Initiative Prize for small and medium sized businesses.

Frederik is being described as "having a bit of rock'n'roll over him" at such events, while Joachim is described as "always well-prepared and confident".

When Frederik posed with the award winners it was almost like he was a part of the winning team.
While Joachim "feel at home when he is in the company of the top of Danish commerce".

Frederik was in fine form, and script in hand he delivered a good speech. "The speech was good but it was actually more after the speech the Crown Prince Frederik showed himself as a strong communicator. Here he used his fine social skills to talk to the entrepreneurs of the competition face to face. He made an enormously good impression on everyone and and in an effective manner put focus on the event that was followed closely by several TV-networks".

As for Joachim, the very influential chairman of Danish Industry (DI), Lars Mikkelgaard-Jensen said: "It's my clear impression that Prince Joachim is pleased with representing Danish commerce. He is making an effort and is well informed about the business, about the prizes on the market. Whatever it is about.
He seem genuinely interested in the field. And the Danish businesses thinks he is doing well. We certainly often get feedback to DI from businesses that they are pleased with his interest and dedication".

But Frederik as well receive praise from businesses. When he visited South Africa, Thor Thorøe from Cocoa Factory said: "He really opens doors for us here in South Africa. And then he's simply a fantastic personality/character".

Joachim is in the article described as being more dry and correct in he appearance but that has its advantages. He has a very dry wit.
"Joachim's speeches are always very eloquent, well practiced with the correct intonations and there are no eh's or fumbling with papers during the speech.
He has the surplus to look out on the audience and the Prince often interject a funny remark underway".

:previous: thank you Muhler an interesting read.
It's clear both are well knowledge in Danish Businesses and are assets.

I agree Frederik has improved in his speeches but his real strength is talking one on one. When he goes around to the individual booths and presentations putting the focus on them and making them feel at ease.

Joachim as well is well prepared :flowers:

Billed Bladet is spoiling us this week!

There are no less than four interviews.

Two short interviews.
One combined Frederik and PH, talking about their love for sailing and about Christian sailing.

One with Joachim talking about Schackenborg and what the plans are for the Schackenborg Foundation.

A long and great interview with a former driver for Frederik IX, full of
anecdotes.

And finally a very long and pretty personal interview with our Marie.
Which I look forward to translating in full.

- So a little patience is needed I'm afraid.

And as this is going to preoccupy me I'll leave all other news about the DRF over this weekend to other posters. No need to cover the same subjects, eh? ;)

Right, let's get to work.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #05, 2016.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

This is really an excerpt from a book by Flemming Vitus on the occasion of Royal Danish Yacht Club's (KDY) 150th anniversary.

In what must have been last summer he interviewed Frederik and PH aboard Dannebrog about their love of sailing.

PH: "It's a lovely sport because you are away from the daily life. On the water you have to struggle against the elements, against the wind, the competitors and yourself".

About Frederik he says: "He is doing really well in several classes. The Crown Prince is very skilled. We have only been sailing against each other a very few times. Perhaps two or three times in the Dragon-class (two man crew) and he has I think beaten me two or three times. Sort of in round figures".

Frederik: "At the large races in Europe we usually have Dannebrog as a base. It's a fantastic platform. Of course we sit in the evening over dinner talking about who had the best start. Naturally we also need to be fully informed about who is leading the race. And then we have to go around the options for the next day of sailing.
Sailing wasn't a part of my life as a child. I remember there was a bit sailing in a dinghy (small, one man sailing boat mainly for children) on Esrum Lake (next to Fredensborg). But that was very limited and I wasn't persistent enough.
When I was between 11-13 I sailed with KDY in Skovshoved (small town) with the juniors. That was alright but it didn't catch on until the early 90's where I was a mate on my father's boat. Then I became very interested.
I found out that this was something special. Because it was exciting to sail and at the same time it's fun".

M&F and the Regent Couple are expected to attend when KDY celebrates it's 150th anniversary in the Opera on the 13th May this year.

About Christian.
Frederik: "We are very attentive about his well-being and joy about sailing".
PH: "I have a couple of times talked with him about sailing and he seem very fond of sailing. That's good at that age, but I have not yet seen Prince Christian sail".
Frederik: "Christian has been doing this sport for a couple of years, so it's difficult to sat anything about his potentials. - I often go with him to training, where we often talk about it. And it's very important for him that he has my backing".
Frederik adds that Christian is more bold in a boat than Frederik was at that age.

Now this is an article I have thoroughly enjoyed translating!

It's about, Jan Christensen, a driver for the DRF 1947-1955 and in the interview he tells a number of anecdotes.

You can read the translation here: https://app.box.com/s/emptpknheogsxn9ejlris6grv0e3gu8h

Here is the article:
https://app.box.com/s/az90cklva71uws9ayroahnbj4rm7gn7a
https://app.box.com/s/98s6skdgzsce0r4l5s21gqlpx0p1ka6q
Jan Christensen in front of one of the cars he drove.
https://app.box.com/s/q58pezehdx9dgz3ihmq08ydqqmadalx3
The B/W picture is of Benedikte who one day appeared in the kitchen asking for her eggs to be boiled for 3½ minutes. At Trend Jen Christensen used informal you and addressed Princess Margrethe as Daisy.
https://app.box.com/s/27fzfbikwa1lixmq61udfz0ervlduiyg
Here is Jan Christensen with a seven or eight year old Princess Margrethe balancing on his back, also at Trend.
https://app.box.com/s/k48uuxrgdjjqcabgv8sa74ot1y15kh5a
Frederik IX having a great time during a rehearsal of the amateur theater of the court.
https://app.box.com/s/gbvdkzcl3gpc60rdfjfpaacjz08by7n9
The crash in 1951, a daily worksheet (I can't read it either), and one of the yearly Christmas cards.

And the rest of the magazine. https://app.box.com/s/v23xk2eli0xlxt0gpvgpyvtqng1u7p8g
As you can tell the Marie interview takes up a lot of space! But even though it's a bit long it's easy to translate and a translation will eventually be uploaded in the Marie thread.

Last edited:
What a great read. Thank you so much for the translation.

About Christian.
Frederik: "We are very attentive about his well-being and joy about sailing".
PH: "I have a couple of times talked with him about sailing and he seem very fond of sailing. That's good at that age, but I have not yet seen Prince Christian sail".
Frederik: "Christian has been doing this sport for a couple of years, so it's difficult to sat anything about his potentials. - I often go with him to training, where we often talk about it. And it's very important for him that he has my backing".
Frederik adds that Christian is more bold in a boat than Frederik was at that age.

thank you Muhler as always great with the translations.
Its wonderful that they gave an interview for the book. Its loving that love of sailings has gone through three generations, something they can talk about Grandpa and grandson, and to read that Frederik goes to Christian's training. nice for them to enjoy that.

"M&F and the Regent Couple are expected to attend when KDY celebrates it's 150th anniversary in the Opera on the 13th May this year."
looking forward to that :flowers::flowers:

The DRF and in this case QMII is being criticized and deservedly IMO.
Raser over Margrethe: 'Fuldstændig ubegribeligt, at hun ikke optræder med bare en smule fornuft' - Livsstil | www.bt.dk

It's a fairly trivial matter in the big picture and yet it's not sound business.

In this case it's Greenpeace Denmark and the environmental organization NOAH, who among other things advocate a more rational use of traffic, in order to reduce pollution and use of fossil fuel.

This specific case stems back to the 12th February, when QMII reopened a museum in the twon of Skagen. - Which is about as far as you can get away from Copenhagen and still be in DK.
QMII opted for a ride in one the EH-101 helicopters, which is quite normal and no big deal, considering her age and the fact that they shuttle back and forth between Copenhagen and Jutland several times a day anyway.

But her "crown-car" Krone-121, a huge Bentley was first driven to all the way to Skagen, so that QMII could be driven in style from where she touched down, some three KM from the museum. A drive that took nine minutes.
Afterwards she was driven back to the helicopter and the car driven all the way back to Copenhagen. A trip of altogether 1.108 KM with only the driver.
A 2.6 tonnes Bentley is thirsty! Driving only six KM per liter petrol.

Birgitte Lesanner from Greenpeace Denmark says: "It's 2016 and everyone ought to consider the footprint they put on the climate and the environment. Even thought it's the politicians who are to implement the green transition, we all have a responsibility, also the DRF and Queen Margrethe".

Ivan Lund Pedersen from NOAH says: "It's utterly out of control and completely unfathomable that the Queen isn't excersizing just a little common sense but instead choose such an extremely resource-consuming solution. Surely they could have found an appropriate vehicle in Northern Jutland, with which she could have been picked up".

Lene Balleby from the court says: "We always assess the combined need for transport in the specific situation. After the visit to Skagens Museum, there were other jobs in Jutland, where the car was used as transport".

Q: What jobs required a Bentley Mulsanne?
Lene Balleby: "That I can't inform you about".

- Okay, I don't blame QMII. It's not her job to arrange transport.
And a doubt many penguins will lose their lives on the account of the DRF driving their cars needlessly around. But IMO it's bad economy and unnecessary unfortunate PR.
The DRF do not have armored cars and I doubt it's necessary to secure them against bugging from spies.
So it should be possible to rent a luxury car locally and send the driver by train (or get a ride in the helicopter for that matter. The EH-101 are big enough). 1.000 KM with breaks, that's a ten hour journey, plus petrol, overtime, food and drink.
For a company the size of the DRF that would in most cases be considered an unnecessary expense.
Wouldn't it be possible to store a couple of crown cars in garages in Jutland to be on standby whenever a DRF-member needs one?

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you Muhler.

And I agree. The helicopter is fine, but when you are sending the car back and forth that's unnecessary

- Okay, I don't blame QMII. It's not her job to arrange transport.
And a doubt many penguins will lose their lives on the account of the DRF driving their cars needlessly around. But IMO it's bad economy and unnecessary unfortunate PR.
No, it's not the Queen's job to arrange transport but isn't the boss still partly to blame? She knows very well, that the Bentley doesn't fly the 1000km. There has been several similar articles in the Danish press over the years.

We might see the younger generation do things differently in the future.

Today is the International Women's Day and in this regard there has been carried out a Danish study on which Danish woman the Danes think is the most inspiring in Denmark.

At the very top of the list we see Crown Princess Mary. And Queen Margrethe follows right after at the list.

Crown Princess Mary herself is a great advocate of women's rights and she is of course to find on the podium tonight where she speaks to the International Women's Day at KVINFO big event at VEGA.

Her er Danmarks mest inspirerende kvinder - Kendte.dk

:previous: it's great that both brothers attended, it seem Bitten held them in high regard

"*It's always delight to be with them, and the relationship with the Princes have evolved over the years. Princes has shown me the honor to invite me to their highlights in life like weddings and christenings. They treat me with great respect and warm.*"

BB article and picture
Kronprins Frederik og prins Joachim deltog i begravelse | BILLED-BLADET
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...ten-clausen-begravelse-stor.gif?itok=8jTY6dKU

http://kendte.dk/wp-content/uploads...begravelse-07-foto-Bo-Bach-Jensen-930x620.jpg
http://kendte.dk/wp-content/uploads...begravelse-02-foto-Bo-Bach-Jensen-930x620.jpg

Frederik and Joachim with Bitten in previous years
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...ll_height_12grid/public/3_1.jpg?itok=_bR67Y9Z
http://www.nydam.nu/uf/40000_49999/43554/L/6dfb24275fe030aae962eba9aedfd5de.jpg

I've been looking at the DRF calendar.

QMII will move to Marselisborg tomorrow, Monday.

PH, will present a price at the racetrack (for horses) in Aarhus, Easter Monday.
M&F are often in Trend during the week before Easter.

So with just a little bit of luck the family will gather at Marselisborg during Easter.
M&F may be expected to drop by for a couple of days before returning by ferry to Copenhagen.
As for J&M, who knows?

I'll place this here for the time being.

A former Prime Minister, Anker Jørgensen, died today.

I assume he will be buried on one of the first days of Easter. It's IMO very likely the DRF will be represented at his funeral. Perhaps by QMII herself, as he was PM several times during her early reign.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I, too, would assume that the DRF will be represented. Although, did QMII attend Jens Otto Krag and Poul Hartling's funerals? That might be a good indicator for whether she'll attend Jørgensen's as well.

Despite their differences, QMII is said to have been quite fond of Anker Jørgensen as well, so that might make her want to show him her last respects, too. Although in theory Jørgensen was QMII's second Prime Minister after Jens Otto Krag who was PM when she ascended the throne, Krag wasn't just a republican who didn't have great faith in the new Queen he also resigned shortly after she became Queen, and she is quoted as having said "Krag had seen me as a clumsy teenager, Anker Jørgensen did not. That, I felt, was quite nice." She saw Jørgensen, who was new to the job like herself, as an equal and they were said to have had a close and trusting relationship to each other.

A picture of a young QMII and Anker Jørgensen: http://ekstrabladet.dk/migration_catalog/NICA/article4491834.ece/IMAGE_ALTERNATES/p900/Anker%20J%C3%B8rgensen

:previous: I can't remember, but I think so. Otto Krag was a pretty big event with foreign dignitaries and at least former PM's.

Anyway, Anker Jørgensen was not the last Social Democrat PM, but one of the last true Social Democrat leaders. And he was a man of the people, because he came from the people and understood the people in a way few politicians have since.
He was genuine and there was no doubt about his integrity.
He didn't try and put a spin on his politics. Things were bad, because they were bad and he said so. And you were never in doubt that he really tried his best.
He had to swallow many camels in his time and he did so because it was necessary and he didn't hide that fact and never tried to spin necessity into a virtue. For that he got respect.
You can debate his politics and you can debate how competent a PM he was, but he did accomplish many good things. And he failed in other issues. But he did his best, that no one can deny.
And as far as I know and in contrast to some of his successors he never stabbed people in the back.

I think that Anker Jørgensen saw the insecure young woman QMII, and saw the person behind. A woman who just like himself was well aware of her lack of experience and shortcomings, but who was/is also determined to do her very best.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the DRF calendar.

QMII will move to Marselisborg tomorrow, Monday.

PH, will present a price at the racetrack (for horses) in Aarhus, Easter Monday.
M&F are often in Trend during the week before Easter.

So with just a little bit of luck the family will gather at Marselisborg during Easter.
M&F may be expected to drop by for a couple of days before returning by ferry to Copenhagen.
As for J&M, who knows?

the Queen and Henrik arriving in Aarhus
Dronning Margrethe og prins Henrik kom med tog til Aarhus | BILLED-BLADET

king henrik is back :king3:;)
the hat is very nice
he looks healthy and happy. Hope the grandkids do spend some time with them.

I guess this applies for all the royal families of Europe right now, after the terror in Belgium.

DK is already in a heightened state of alert as it is, that has now automatically gone half a notch up. Which means increased police presence at airports and other key points.
That will naturally also include the DRF.

I can imagine that at Marselisborg, where the Regent Couple is in residence right now, a patrol car will be stationed at the gate and/or patrol close to Marselisborg. I also believe it will be likely the sentries at the gate will be doubled and perhaps issued full capacity magazines. I.e. 30 rounds rather than the usual five rounds.

As for M&F, wherever they are at present, perhaps at Trend. I will also imagine the local police will keep a patrol car nearby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom