Dutch Introductory Visit to Denmark: June 25, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
King and Queen visit Denmark

June 25, 2013
His Majesty King Willem-Alexander and Máxima bring Her Majesty Queen
June 25, 2013 a one-day introductory visit to Denmark.​

Source: koninklijkhuis.nl

I am not so sure if I like these introduction visits if they come in the place of normal state visits. No tiaras, 'only' a lunch with Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik.
I am surprised that they picked Denmark too btw, Belgium, Germany and Luxembourg are the obvious choices, so that is a nice surprise. Of course the Danish queen is a godmother of the new king. Let's hope that they will pay a visit to the UK soon too.

Last edited:
Visit Program

10:50
Arrival at Copenhagen Airport, Vilhelm Lauritzen's terminal. HM the Queen and HRH the Prince Consort will receive HM the King and HM the Queen of the Netherlands.

11:40
Arrival at Fredensborg Palace

15:00
Christiansborg Palace Meeting with HE the Prime Minister HE the Prime Minister. HM the King and the Queen of the Netherlands

15:40
Christiansborg Palace Meeting with Speaker of Parliament The Speaker of Parliament. HM the King and HM the Queen of the Netherlands.​

Source: this link

Last edited:
So they will be at home to celebrate Alexia´s birthday :)

BB informs us that when King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima visit DK on the 25th, there will be a lunch at Fredensborg. At that lunch will also be Joachim and our Marie.

As you probably know Mary and Benedikte will be in Aachen at the same time and Frederik will be in Greenland.

Some nice pictures from today. Maxima's headpiece is quite pretty. Pity Frederik & Mary had other events and couldn't make it today.

The lunch menu click here

Last edited:
What a shame, that Fred and Mary could´nt do it......
Another great outfit from Maxxx
Bye Bine

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik hosted a lunch for King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima at Fredensborg Palace today. I like to see the royals spending time together and it looks like they get along very well. Queen Margrethe looks very beautiful today as well.

Dutch Royals Visit Denmark | Royal Hats

Last edited by a moderator:
The visit got a very good coverage on the 19.00 news on TV2 tonight. Including some resident Dutch children showing up to meet King W-A and Queen Maxima.

There sure are tall! QMII and PH are not exactly small, but King W-A and Queen Maxima are even taller.
I genuinely like Maxima, she has the abillity to lighten up a room simply by her postive attitude.

I like Margrethe very much but this outfit is almost ridiculously "youthfull". What was she trying to say?: I am still young. No abdication planned! Her attempt to cover up the age difference was of course supported by Maxima who toned it down colourwise and looked older than her age. Perhaps this was also the reason why the visit was scheduled for a day when Frederik&Mary would be out of the country? :)

Last edited:
I like Margrethe very much but this outfit is almost ridiculously "youthfull". What was she trying to say?: I am still young. No abdication planned! Her attempt to cover up the age difference was of course supported by Maxima who dressed and looked older than her age. Perhaps this was also the reason why the visit was scheduled for a day when Frederik&Mary would be out of the country? :)

I like Margrethe's outfit. The jacket is quite vivid. Love the colour, but I definitely wouldn't say it's youthful.

i was happy to see today these pictures of the visit! it's great WA and maxima are taking the time to visit neighbouring countries and get to know their counterparts. it's a shame though F+M weren't available, i would have thought they would choose a day that all the family was available to welcome them, but neither frederik or mary were available, and they weren't even in the same event. shame on the organisational side!

it's great to get a glimpse of joachim and marie. marie looks just ravishing in that red dress combined with the up-do. fantastic choice.

Koninklijk paar in Denemarken - NOS Nieuws

I like Margrethe's outfit. The jacket is quite vivid. Love the colour, but I definitely wouldn't say it's youthful.
I meant youthfull for a woman of 73 of course, not youthfull in the sense that a young woman could/would wear it.

I love this picture. Seems like QMII was glad to see her godson and WA glad to see his godmother. And WA certainly is tall, isn't he? Half a head taller than QMII (who definitely isn't low).

I like Margrethe very much but this outfit is almost ridiculously "youthfull". What was she trying to say?: I am still young. No abdication planned! Her attempt to cover up the age difference was of course supported by Maxima who toned it down colourwise and looked older than her age. Perhaps this was also the reason why the visit was scheduled for a day when Frederik&Mary would be out of the country? :)

I highly doubt she's trying to dress "younger". That merely is QMII's style of preference - bright and wow-y colours, preferably with some flowers. And she can wear it, which is the best thing about her style. Can't say I think that this outfit is much different than her usual outfits, and I quite like it, actually.

I don't understand the last comment. What have Mary and Frederik got to do with QMII's outfit?

How come Princess Marie of Denmark always have this look like she'll punch your lights out ?, :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

I actually adore Margrethe's outfit, she looked lovely in my opinion. She seemed to glow in the pictures! :) And Maxima looks gorgoeus too but i'm not a big fan of the headband

I highly doubt she's trying to dress "younger". That merely is QMII's style of preference - bright and wow-y colours, preferably with some flowers. And she can wear it, which is the best thing about her style. Can't say I think that this outfit is much different than her usual outfits, and I quite like it, actually.

I don't understand the last comment. What have Mary and Frederik got to do with QMII's outfit?
Their presence would have emphasized the age gap whereas IMO both queens tried to cover it up with their outfits.

While I agree that QMII has a faible for strong colours as well as flowers I cannot recall her dressing like that (strong colours+flowers) for a day event at any of the incoming state visits in the last couple of years.

Why does the King not wear uniform..Every other King has and most likely will wear a uniform while visiting or receiving a fellow monarch..
I feel uniform adds a lot to the "chivalry" of out modern royal men..

Last edited:
Why does the King not wear uniform..Every other King has and most likely will wear a uniform while visiting or receiving a fellow monarch..

Prince Hendrik doesn't wear a uniform either. This is not a state visit. Just a lunch and introduction.

Uniforms on royals who do not serve in active duty, bedecked with honorary medals, usually give me a bit of an operetta feeling.

If not mistaken, King QA had to give up his military job therefore he won't be seen in uniform again.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #26, 2013.
Kongen var selv pilot - The king was the pilot.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

After one and a half hours of flight with King Willem-Alexander by the controls, the NLRF plane touched down in Copenhagen ten minutes before scheduled. to be met by the Danish Regent Couple.
As this is only a introductory visit the honour guard was not wearing red gala uniforms.
QMII wore a silk-satin dress by Celli Freifeldt and a hat by Per Falk Hansen.
Queen Maxima is a tall woman, because it's very rare to see a lady having to bend down in the knees in order to kiss QMII on the cheeks!
From here it was off to Fredensborg, about an hours drive or so away. QMII & King W-A in one car and PH and Maxima in another.
They apparently had plenty to talk about because they were still chatting away when they arrived at and entered Fredensborg palace. QMII & King W-A were heard speaking English, while PH & Maxima spoke French, pausing only briefly to wave at the locals who had shown up to see the giraffes. (*)
Twenty minutes later, giving the Majesties time to wash their hands I presume, Joachim and our Marie arrived. Marie looking splendid in a red dress, while Joachim had adorned himself with a tie in Dutch orange, complete with elephants. (**)
Present at the lunch were also the Danish PM, Helle Thorning (***) and various ministers as well as the Chairman of the Parliament.

However, when it was time to leave the Dutch couple were followed to the car, but PH needed to support himself by the arm of a footman, being in obvious pain. And QMII supported her husband back up the stairs again. - They are getting older.

Then it was off to Christiansborg, the Parliament, where the Chairman took King W-A and Queen Maxima on a guided tour and offered a drink, before they had a meeting with the PM. (****)
Upon leaving some resident Dutch had taken up position and started to cheer, promting Queen Maxima to go towards them, and then two boys, wearing the orange color surged forward and presented Maxima with a white rose and a drawing each. (The boys are seen and interviewed, in English, in the TV2 clip above.
At a little past 17.00, after six hours the Dutch Regent Couple took off and flew back to the Netherlands after this their third curtesy call.

(*) Idiom. Used to describe seeing something very novel.

(**) His dress sense has gotten pretty wild since marrying Marie. Almost rebellious!

(***) Who at a speech at the midsummer celebrations a couple of days ago said she was a bit tired that only witches are (symbollically) burned at the stake on that evening, she called for sorcerors too to be burned. - I can sympathize with her. It must be unsetteling to watch effigies of colleagues being burned...

(****) The PM's office, Statsministeriet, is a part of Christiansborg complex.

Last edited:
A charming clip from TV2 of the visit: TV 2 Nyhederne - Video
Dear Muhler! Thank you for posting the wonderful clip of King Willem Alexander (it seems still odd to call him king!) visit to Copenhagen with his Queen Maxima. I was glad to see that the local Dutch population has not lost their 'orange-ness' but wondered that the children speak English rather than Danish. I imagine there are Dutch language schools in Copenhagen, that would possibly explain their lack of Danish. However, my lack of Danish meant I could not follow what the commentator and the Prime Minister (who seems even more beautiful lately!) said about the visit. Is there a chance you could enlighten us? Mange tak:flowers:

Dear Muhler! Thank you for posting the wonderful clip of King Willem Alexander (it seems still odd to call him king!) visit to Copenhagen with his Queen Maxima. I was glad to see that the local Dutch population has not lost their 'orange-ness' but wondered that the children speak English rather than Danish. I imagine there are Dutch language schools in Copenhagen, that would possibly explain their lack of Danish. However, my lack of Danish meant I could not follow what the commentator and the Prime Minister (who seems even more beautiful lately!) said about the visit. Is there a chance you could enlighten us? Mange tak:flowers:

It shall be my pleasure. :)

Well, it was basically an explanation of the purpose of the visit. - I.e. the new colleague dropping by to say hi to his workmates.
An overview of the activities during the visit, while determining that King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima are the first of the generation of Frederik, to become majesties.
And that Norway, Belgium and Great Britain are next on the list of curtesy visits.

The PM, said she looked forward to be visited by the Dutch Regent Couple at her office and that they would be talking about their new position and that DK and the Netherlands are close.

I presume the boys attend one of the international schools in Copenhagen, where the language is English.

Last edited:
Their presence would have emphasized the age gap whereas IMO both queens tried to cover it up with their outfits.

While I agree that QMII has a faible for strong colours as well as flowers I cannot recall her dressing like that (strong colours+flowers) for a day event at any of the incoming state visits in the last couple of years.

Marie and Joachim are in similar age to Frederik and Mary and they were there, so the age gap was emphasized, I would think.

But that's irrelevant since WA and Máxima are King and Queen now, they're at the same "level" as QMII and Henrik and therefore they gonna meet with them and not Mary and Frederik. And as Cinderella5x mentioned, Marie and Joachim were there, so I still don't quite understand?

I still don't think there's anything odd about her outfit from yesterday. This is a picture from the Greek state visit in 2009, and while she wasn't wearing flowers that day, she was wearing a lovely pink attire with an interesting pink hat. I don't think she's trying to cover up her age, she's just wearing what she likes to wear, and that happens to be bright, colourful dresses preferably with some pattern on :)

Back
Top Bottom