Death and Funeral of Countess Anne-Dorte of Rosenborg: January 2 and 9, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viv

Courtier
City
Funen
Country
Denmark
News just broke that Countess Anne-Dorte of Rosenborg, widow of Count Christian who died last May passed away last night.
In the current issue of Billed-Bladet, her daughters told of a wonderful and yet slightly melancholic Christmas without Count Christian. Her mother had taken part in the celebrations 'just fine'.

However they did not reveal - in case they knew around the BB deadline - that their mother was approaching the end of her life. A long time sufferer of throat cancer, the countess eventually had respiratory problems and was tube fed. Apparently she was admitted to Gentofte Hospital some time after Christmas.

Today Josephine of Rosenborg, a daughter told that she was summoned to Gentofte Hospital. 'My mother said that she wanted to die' and I said ' then we need to make plans for the funeral'. When that was sorted, the countess rested and died later last night.

The three sisters are mourning the loss of their parents some seven months apart, however they also stated that they took comfort in knowing that their mother was now relieved of her pain.

Anna Johansen, a former royal correspondent at Billed-Bladed paid tribute to the countess and her 'fun, unsnobbish and down-to-earth personality. She visited Anne-Dorte in December and was met with the 'usual hospitality'.

The funeral will take place on Thursday the 9th of January at Lyngby church North of Copenhagen,

viv

Last edited:
She died yesterday on 2 January following a long battle with cancer.

May the Countess rest in peace.

Last edited:
Very sad for her daughters even tho they had time to prepare for it. Time marches on and that generation are getting on, but I always considered the Countess to be young and just lovely. Thats how I will remember her; as a lovely lady with a sense of humour. My condolences to her daughters.

How sad for her family and the extended Danish RF,may she rest in peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
How sad for her family and the extended Danish RF,may she rest in peace.
Now you mention the extended family; so far the death of the countess is not announced on the DRF website. Maybe something will happen next week, but I won't bet on it! At the end of the day the countess was a commoner who married a Prince on the perimeter of the Royal Family.
Prince Henrik has a shoot on Thursday, and I wonder whether HM will attend the funeral. I won't bet on that either!

Viv

Last edited:
Sadly I don't think we'll see a great show-up from the RF either. While I don't want to undermine Joachim and Marie, who both represented the RF well at Count Christian's funeral, I think the representation from the DRF was so poor. Count Christian was QMII's cousin after all and normally preexisting events in the calendars get cancelled for important funerals. I'm thinking that Joachim and Marie or Benedikte will go if they don't have anything planned beforehand, but it's also very plausible that the DRF wont be represented at all. Just further proof that there are still a lot of strains between the DRF and Prince Knud's descendants.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that Joachim and
Marie or Benedikte will go if they don't have anything planned
beforehand, but it's also very plausible that the DRF wont be
represented at all. Just further proof that there are still a lot of
strains between the DRF and Prince Knud's descendants.

I agree Archduchess Zelia, Joachim and Marie are likely to attend if
not otherwise engaged. But then again, you never know;). IMO it
would be a dent in the image of DRF if they don't send at least
one representative to the funeral.

Outwardly the DRF and the Rosenborgs had a courteous
relationship; Christian and Anne-Dorte were invited along to many
DRF events over the years. However that doesn't really say much;
a gala ball with a great number of people is an excellent opportunity
to invite those you feel obliged to invite but don't want to spend an intimate dinner with!

They hardly ever met in private, according to interviews. Count
Christian was always loyal to HM and PH, but he never let on that
they were best friends!

viv

Sadly I don't think we'll see a great show-up from the RF either. While I don't want to undermine Joachim and Marie, who both represented the RF well at Count Christian's funeral, I think the representation from the DRF was so poor. Count Christian was QMII's cousin after all and normally preexisting events in the calendars get cancelled for important funerals. I'm thinking that Joachim and Marie or Benedikte will go if they don't have anything planned beforehand, but it's also very plausible that the DRF wont be represented at all. Just further proof that there are still a lot of strains between the DRF and Prince Knud's descendants.

I thought it was just Marie and Bennedikte that attended Count Christian's funeral? i might be thinking of another funeral though :ermm:

The estrangement between King Frederik and his brother Prince Knud seems very bitter. I can understand Knud's disappointment when the succession laws were changed in 1953, but if the two brothers had been close I have a hard time understanding how the two families would become so distant.

I guess what I am asking is if the estrangement was solely do with the change in succession laws or if the brothers already had a bad relationship. If they already had a bad relationship what was that due to?

The estrangement between King Frederik and his brother Prince Knud seems very bitter. I can understand Knud's disappointment when the succession laws were changed in 1953, but if the two brothers had been close I have a hard time understanding how the two families would become so distant.

I guess what I am asking is if the estrangement was solely do with the change in succession laws or if the brothers already had a bad relationship. If they already had a bad relationship what was that due to?

From the biography ' King Frederik, the sailor king', by Jon Bloch Skipper (2005):
The relationship is mentioned by Queen Margrethe and her sister Princess Benedikte.
Queen Margrethe:
'They (the brothers) were very different and there were several clashes, perhaps even more so than what's normal among siblings. I'm left with the impression that they didn't have en easy relationship'.
Princess Benedikte:
'They developed different interests and with those different circles of friends. Traditionally, my father would invite the entire family for lunch on his birthday, among them my uncle (Knud). But apart from official events they never met in private.'
The author adds:
Adding to the tension was the fact that Prince Knud as the younger son got more attention from his mother - and he was never comfortable in his role as the 'spare'.
The predicament of their relationship was never easy and it didn't improve over the years .. quite on the contrary!

viv

Last edited:
Thanks Viv, that is very interesting.

Actually Count Christian's funeral was attended by the Regent Couple, Princess Benedikte and Princess Marie. No poor representation at all IMO. Prince Joachim as well as the Crown Prince Couple did not attend because they were not in DK at the time: Joachim was in Afghanistan, Frederik in Russia and Mary in Malaysia.

Last edited:
Outwardly the DRF and the Rosenborgs had a courteous
relationship; Christian and Anne-Dorte were invited along to many
DRF events over the years. However that doesn't really say much;
a gala ball with a great number of people is an excellent opportunity
to invite those you feel obliged to invite but don't want to spend an intimate dinner with!

They hardly ever met in private, according to interviews. Count
Christian was always loyal to HM and PH, but he never let on that
they were best friends!

viv
Does this apply also to Princess Elisabeth?

I thought it was just Marie and Bennedikte that attended Count Christian's funeral? i might be thinking of another funeral though :ermm:

Actually Count Christian's funeral was attended by the Regent Couple, Princess Benedikte and Princess Marie. No poor representation at all IMO. Prince Joachim as well as the Crown Prince Couple did not attend because they were not in DK at the time: Joachim was in Afghanistan, Frederik in Russia and Mary in Malaysia.

Of course you are both right, QMII, the Prince Consort and Princess Benedikte attended as well. Apparently my mind is not capable of holding any piece of information for a very long time :bang: :D I also felt quite certain to have seen Joachim there but my mind is playing tricks with me these days, must be all this Christmas hullaballoo that has gotten to my head :p

Does this apply also to Princess Elisabeth?

To the best of my knowledge, Princess Elisabeth hasn't been terrifically close to the RF either. She's been closer to them in the sense that she has retained her royal title and therefore naturally is invited to most things, but I don't get the impression that they've been best friends either. IIRC Count Ingolf and Prince Joachim are quite good friends because they both have worked with agriculture.

According to DRF's calendar the funeral will be attended by the Regent Couple.

:previous:
The royal Court is not in mourning, so there's no need to cancel.
A guess on my part: maybe HRH will be present at the 'kick off'
of the shoot, attend the funeral and then return . Though he's the
host, I'm not sure that he actually takes part in the shooting any longer..
...... or what, compatriots??

viv

I think Frederik or Joachim will stand in for PH. The calendar says the Regent Couple will attend the funeral and a hunt is an all day event. And attending a funeral and a hunt at basically the same time, that is pretty poor taste methinks.

So Frederik or Joachim will replace dad on the hunt, or at the funeral. In which case we are likely to see Mary or our Marie as well.

Or Henrik will just greet the guests - since he is the host of the hunt - and then leave for the funeral and Frederik will take over.
I don't think we will see Mary or Muhler's Marie at the funeral. The calendar doesn't mention them and I think Mary will already be on her way to Myanmar.

Or Henrik will just greet the guests - since he is the host of the hunt - and then leave for the funeral and Frederik will take over.

Those were my thoughts until our dear Muhler shot them down ;) (pun intended!). As mentioned previouslly AFAIK Prince Henrik is not actively taking part in the shoot, his physique is not up to it. He's hosting the event, watching from the side lines, presiding over lunch, in short having a 'field day' with 'the boys'.
But maybe our dear Muhler is right, Frederik will stand in and PH will join later. Besides HM and HRH are residing in Copenhagen for the time being, so it will take a bit of driving back and forth if he were do attend both events in the morning.
CP Mary is indeed on her way to Myanmar. Hope she doesn't suffer too much from jet lag, there's been a lot of long distance travel in recent months.

Let's see what happens Thursday morning!
viv

Why do I get the feeling that I'm being teased? :ermm::lol:

My condolonces to the family! :flowers:

Whenever I log into the forums, I keep on meaning to reply to this thread but end up missing it somehow, so here I finally I am.

I must admit that I didn't really know who Anne Dorte was until I first saw this thread, it's made me want to find out more about her. I understand that she was the commoner and her husband was the royal - how was he (her husband) related to Queen Margrethe?

May she RIP. I'm sure she'll be greatly missed by her family. :sad:

:previous: Count Christian, Countess Anne-Dorte's late husband, was QMII's cousin. He was the son of Knud and Caroline-Mathilde, Hereditary Prince and Princess of Denmark, Knud was the brother of King Frederik IX, QMII's father. The two were estranged and the relationship between the two families has never been the best. Christian was the brother of Princess Elisabeth and Count Ingolf.

It was countess Anne-Dorte's dying wish to be buried in her wedding dress; as a matter of fact the Danish word used for the ceremony indicates that she'll be cremated rather than interred, but I'm not sure yet. There are two different Danish words for a burial service, and they are often confused. The church part is the same, the committal however takes place in the cemetary at funerals.

I must admit that I didn't really know who Anne Dorte was until I first saw this thread, it's made me want to find out more about her. I understand that she was the commoner and her husband was the royal - how was he (her husband) related to Queen Margrethe? :sad:

HP, thanks for asking! I don't think that any of us Danish posters expect the non-Danes to be greatly interested in lesser Danish royalty. The reason why some of us post about it is -IMO - that we are effectively witnessing a branch of the Danish royal family fading into oblivion! The Brits and their RF have similar experiences and they may be repeated in the not too distant future, you know, cutting off the dead wood.
After 1947 ,when King Frederik 9. acceeded the nucleus of the Danish royal family was rather small. There were the king & his family, and the king's Brother & his family. However after the change of the succession law in 1953, this branch of the family has been severed from the main line.
The funeral of Anne-Dorte is just a minor act in this drama. It means nothing to the royal family, but somehow it means something to us who have been witnessing the events over the years.

viv

HM and Prince Henrik have arrived at Lyngby church. No Joachim, no Marie.

The wake was to a great extend made up of the same people attending Count Christians funeral in may 2013.

The local parish minister Julie Goldschmidt officiated, underlining the countess's passion for life, how she regarded her life as a fairy tale which began when marrying Prince Christian in 1971 in the same church. The sermon was based on Matthew 2, 2-12 about the three magi, comparing the three daughters to the three magi with their identical confusion and identical unity on their life's journey. 'Together in happiness, together in sorrow, together no mattter what in the past, the present and the future; that's a tradition in your family.
(take that, QM!)

Another address was given by Michael Rosanes, a son-in-law and a Anastasia, a grand child sang a song.

Photos:
http://www.bt.dk/danmark/se-billederne-grevinde-anne-dorte-bisaettes

Viv

Last edited by a moderator:
Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #2, 2014.
Written by Anna Johannesen.

It was Count Ingolf who informed his cousin (kusine) QMII over the telephone about the death of Countess Anne Dorte: "The Queen of couse became sad and offered her condolences. She has followed the illness of Anne Dorte and even though death did not come as a surprise, one always become sad when it happens".

He goes on about the last time he saw the countess: "We dropped by Sorgenfri (manor) with Christmas present and she was pretty poor. But she was tough and I think it's characteristic of herthat she would like thing to be put in order before she died".

Princess Elizabeth visited Countess Anne Dorte the day before she died at the hospital: "By then she was in good spirits and even talked about going home, so it went downhill quickly".
The two of them were in daily contack over the phone until the illness of Anne Dorte made it difficult for her to speak.

One of Countess Anne Dorte's daughters, Josephine, tells about the last day, where their mother said: "Today I'd like to die". Josephine goes on: "She was completly in the clear about it and after all the arrangements of her being put to rest were in place, she laid back and dozed off. At 20.00 she passed away in her sleep.
It doesn't surprise me that mother chose the day herself, she would like to die. She simply couldn't cope anymore. The body said enough and then she has probably never recovered from the death of dad.
When mother set herself a goal, it was reached. That's how it has been all days.
Yesterday I almost phoned her. She's in my thoughts all the time. You could ask mother about everything. from a recepi to a good advise. She managed it all. She was the sweetest and loveliest mother and mother-in-law and mormor (maternal grandmother).
I had feared how mother would get through Christmas without dad, but she managed so well and we were there all of us. She had decorated, baked and made pies but when New Year came I think he strength had been sapped. She couldn't cope anymore. Now she would like to die.
She was a fantastic mother, really a positive soul who always found the positive sides of life. That she has fortunately passed on to us children.
Mother had a large mental surplus and she never bore a grudge. She could be annoying stubborn but she could also laugh of that afterwards herself".

Upon the death of Countess Anne Dorte she was dressed in her wedding gown and the next day in the chapel, her grandchildren put various homemade tokens in her coffin and the family said their goodbyes.
Her three daughters put their wedding portraits in the coffin and a picture of Anne Dorte herself and her husband, and finally dark lillac tulips.

HM and Prince Henrik have arrived at Lyngby church. No Joachim, no Marie.

The wake was to a great extend made up of the same people attending Count Christians funeral in may 2013.

The local parish minister Julie Goldschmidt officiated, underlining the countess's passion for life, how she regarded her life as a fairy tale which began when marrying Prince Christian in 1971 in the same church. The sermon was based on Matthew 2, 2-12 about the three magi, comparing the three daughters to the three magi with their identical confusion and identical unity on their life's journey. 'Together in happiness, together in sorrow, together no mattter what in the past, the present and the future; that's a tradition in your family.
(take that, QM!)

Another address was given by Michael Rosanes, a son-in-law and a Anastasia, a grand child sang a song.

Photos:
Se billederne: Grevinde Anne Dorte bisættes | www.bt.dk

Viv

Did Princess Elisabeth attend Viv,I know you posted that she wasn't well of late in another thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom