The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 06-28-2018, 03:57 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,974
I feel sorry for her that her father was so clearly preferencing boys. In some way, good for her that she was the one who remained a princess her whole life while her brothers didn't remain princes. Probably part of the reason why she chose to do so.

Interesting that he considers Anne Marie do much younger but not Benedikte, while the age difference between the latter is only 2 years (compared to 4 between Margrethe and Benedikte) - Ingolf is a few months older than Margrethe. The main issue might be that she left Denmark at the age of 18, so little time to build up an adult relationship with her coudins.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I feel sorry for her that her father was so clearly preferencing boys. In some way, good for her that she was the one who remained a princess her whole life while her brothers didn't remain princes. Probably part of the reason why she chose to do so.

Interesting that he considers Anne Marie do much younger but not Benedikte, while the age difference between the latter is only 2 years (compared to 4 between Margrethe and Benedikte) - Ingolf is a few months older than Margrethe. The main issue might be that she left Denmark at the age of 18, so little time to build up an adult relationship with her coudins.
I think you nailed it.
Anne-Marie left DK to live a very busy life at a very young age, so no opportunity to build up a relationship with Elisabeth.
Like she seems to have with Benedikte when they became adults. To some degree at least.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Summary of articles in Billed Bladet #26, 2018.

I will not go into details about the funeral, only add a few details.

Instead I will focus more on what BB, and Count Ingolf has to say about Princess Elisabeth's life.

Count Ingolf who is now the last surviving of three siblings, gave in and sobbed when the hearse drove away.
After the ceremony at the church the family and others present at the ceremony were served coffee at a restaurant not far away, as is customary in DK. Among those going to the "gravøl = grave-beer" as it is also called, were Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie.
The restaurant was a favorite of Princess Elisabeth.
In the meantime the flowers and wreaths were placed on the grave of her brother Count Christian and his wife Countess Anne Dorte, who lie at Lyngby Cemetery.

A number of representatives for Elisabeth's protections and associates were represented as well. Like the Japanese ambassador. The Danish-Brazilian Society.
Prince Wilhelm of Schaumburg-Lippe was there as well, and his wife, Princes Ilona.

Prince Ingolf said later on (perhaps on the phone?):
"Elisabeth's death was not a surprise, because she has been struggling for a long time. Since when she fell ill in May we could tell what way it would go, but she was stubborn and it was like she wouldn't let go of life. Finally Elisabeth fortunately found peace and that was good. But it is still hard nevertheless. It's hard because now I'm the last one left.
We have very, very close. And Elisabeth... yes, she was alright." (Jutlandic understatement.)

Q from Trine Larsen: Alright? What does the Count mean by that?
Ingolf: "Well, yes, I mean she was a fantastic older sister. She was always sweet and cozy and very helpful and as a child she was also a role model. Elisabeth often took the blame, even though it was us boys who did the mischief.
There has never been any hostility and sibling-rivalry between us. Fortunately. We have on the contrary always supported each other in everything and we did that right to the end.
That's a great joy."

He goes on to say that Elisabeth certainly had her opinions and that she liked to get her way.
Count Ingolf lives in Jutland, so he didn't see his sister very often, but the daughters of his brother, live in and around Copenhagen and they saw Elisabeth on a daily basis.

Princess Elisabeth was born in 1935, and as BB puts it, "her birth was, if not a disappointment, then not a cause for big jubilation either."
She was the firstborn in a dynasty where until 1953, only boys could be heirs.
Her very strict father, Prince Knud referred to her as: "her, the gal" (*)
And until she became an adult she feared her father very much.
So it was not that happy a childhood, but it helped a little when Ingolf was born in 1940 and Prince Christian in 1942.
Even she was the one who often got the blame, she loved her brothers.
She went to Lyngby Private School near Sorgenfri Manor, where she lived with her parents. And she hated going to school. Partly because she was bullied and partly because book-learning was not something she was good at.
Being a girl she wasn't destined to go to high school, so after finishing middle-school (Doesn't exist today, back then it was a preparation for high school.) in 1952 she went to the boarding school, Brillantmont in Lausanne in Switzerland. To learn cooking and languages.
She then went for a year at a housekeeping school and took a course at a fashion and design school as well. - All aimed to prepare her to become a good housewife.

Actually Elisabeth dreamed about becoming an ocean-biologist but during a course a friend told her about a job in the archive of the Foreign Ministry. She applied and got the job and worked for the ministry in 45 years.
For seven years she was stationed at the Danish embassy in Washington and for four years at the Danish UN mission in Geneva.

At some point she met the love of her life, Claus Hermansen and the two of them lived together for more 20 years until his death in 1997. The two of them agreed never to have children and they also agreed on never marrying.
"I would have become Mrs. Hermansen and that we both found a bit silly considering that were not to have children. That was a decision we were in total agreement about."

While never having children of her own she nevertheless became a much loved aunt for her brother's three daughters and their children as well, being called "tante Beth = aunt Beth" (**)

Despite living very different lives, Elisabeth maintained a good relationship with QMII and her sisters, even though they certainly did not see each other on a daily basis. Nor phoned on a daily basis either. But she was always invited to major events.
"We have never been particular close in our family, but apart from that it's probably mostly Daisy and Princess Benedikte I'm closest to. I'm also very fond of Anne-Marie, but she is so much younger."

Elisabeth was fond of handiwork and for many years she made her own gala-dresses.

In the last couple of years of her life she moved back to Sorgenfri Manor, where QMII put the Ladies Building at Elisabeth's disposal.
She fell ill in May and despite struggling she wasn't strong enough and she spend the last weeks of her life in a nursing home and here she died in her sleep, surrounded by her nearest and dearest.

(*) Difficult to translate directly. Tøs = a pretty derogatory word for a girl and depending on the context it can also mean something that is almost as derogatory as the the word "slut".

(**)
She was actually faster Beth.
Faster = father's sister.
Moster = mother's sister.
Tante = aunt in general or aunt who has married into the family.

The scans for this week here:
https://app.box.com/s/ejnumbrzmtrrtelfwn7m6lt0iv0svhys
That answers my question why Princess Elisabeth was educated at a Swiss finishing school; it's clear that her father had strict expectations of girls consistent with his preference for sons. Perhaps the bullying at school played a part. In that situation, her strong views, beautiful relationship with her brothers and their families, and amazing success as a professional woman decades ago, as a member of a royal family which expects princesses not to do paid work, are even greater accomplishments.

Her brother's comments on her final illness indicate that she handled struggle with grace and strength. I'm glad that representatives of her organizations were invited to the funeral.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 06-30-2018, 06:15 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,196
I'm a little late, though I extend my sympathies to the DRF on the loss of Princess Elisabeth. May she RIP and I hope she has found her peace and comfort now.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 11-08-2018, 08:00 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,660
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #45, 2018.
Written by Dorte Quist.

The three daughters of Count Christian are selling the heirlooms from their father and Princess Elisabeth, who have both passed away.

All in all it amounts to several hundred items, some of considerable value.
So here is a rough calculator:
1 £ = 8 DKK.
1 € = 7.5 DKK.
1 $ = 6 DKK.

The Russian sapphire tiara worn by their mother, Countess Anne Dorte is the main item.
It contains eight Ceylon sapphires weighing 33 carats.
Lots of diamonds weighing 53 carats and it's valued at 1.5-2 million DKK.

From Elisabeth's estate a 4.5 kilo soup bowl made from silver is put up for sale. It's valued at 50-60.000 DKK.
Also from Elisabeth a French mahogany console, valued at 20-25.000 DKK.
As well as a Margrethe-cup in porcelain from 1910. Valued at 15-20.000 DKK.

The auctions will take place at Bruun Rasmussen at the end of November and in mid December.

You can study some of the items in details here:
https://app.box.com/s/sbn1zkg21hhpf9ebcqtexxbhtd0w9mq2
https://app.box.com/s/pdoevijt83oq8bkzwt2d7a49w72qkt0k
https://app.box.com/s/u9pm38rm9fhvyhk9aconwdbslj82gspm
https://app.box.com/s/fcyi7l9zp5b4l9av3xes9nfyf0p6ggj6
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 11-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #45, 2018.
Written by Dorte Quist.

The three daughters of Count Christian are selling the heirlooms from their father and Princess Elisabeth, who have both passed away.

All in all it amounts to several hundred items, some of considerable value.
So here is a rough calculator:
1 £ = 8 DKK.
1 € = 7.5 DKK.
1 $ = 6 DKK.

The Russian sapphire tiara worn by their mother, Countess Anne Dorte is the main item.
It contains eight Ceylon sapphires weighing 33 carats.
Lots of diamonds weighing 53 carats and it's valued at 1.5-2 million DKK.

From Elisabeth's estate a 4.5 kilo soup bowl made from silver is put up for sale. It's valued at 50-60.000 DKK.
Also from Elisabeth a French mahogany console, valued at 20-25.000 DKK.
As well as a Margrethe-cup in porcelain from 1910. Valued at 15-20.000 DKK.

The auctions will take place at Bruun Rasmussen at the end of November and in mid December.

You can study some of the items in details here:
https://app.box.com/s/sbn1zkg21hhpf9ebcqtexxbhtd0w9mq2
https://app.box.com/s/pdoevijt83oq8bkzwt2d7a49w72qkt0k
https://app.box.com/s/u9pm38rm9fhvyhk9aconwdbslj82gspm
https://app.box.com/s/fcyi7l9zp5b4l9av3xes9nfyf0p6ggj6

The estimations in Euro/US Dollar learns that only the diadem has a quite an estimated value.
The rest is relatively reachable for a normal audience at auctions.



Diamond and sapphire diadem
max € 270.000 / $ 306,000


Silver soup bowl
max € 8.000 / $ 9,200


French mahoganny console
max € 3.400 / $ 3,800


Porcelain margrethe cup
max € 2.700 / $ 3,100
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 11-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The estimations in Euro/US Dollar learns that only the diadem has a quite an estimated value.
The rest is relatively reachable for a normal audience at auctions.



Diamond and sapphire diadem
max € 270.000 / $ 306,000


Silver soup bowl
max € 8.000 / $ 9,200


French mahoganny console
max € 3.400 / $ 3,800


Porcelain margrethe cup
max € 2.700 / $ 3,100
Yes, but there are a number of paintings for sale as well. And to hold a special Princess Elisabeth auction would suggest to me, that there will be items of some value.
BB will naturally chose to write about items that are directly affiliated to the DRF and what they think is of most interest to their readers. I.e. the tiara.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 11-08-2018, 09:46 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 5,015
Intersting that they are already selling pieces from Pricness ElisabethÄs estate given that she üpassed away only a few months ago. At last her diamond and sapphire tiara is not among the items. but perhaps it went to Count Ingolf as he is her brother.
A pity that the diamond and sapphire tiara from Count Christian and Countess Anne-Dorthe was not offered to the Queen (but perhaps it was and they declined) as it would form a nice sapphire Parure tiogether with her other sapphire Jewels who also came from Queen Alexandrine.
__________________
Stefan



Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 11-08-2018, 09:54 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Intersting that they are already selling pieces from Pricness ElisabethÄs estate given that she üpassed away only a few months ago. At last her diamond and sapphire tiara is not among the items. but perhaps it went to Count Ingolf as he is her brother.
A pity that the diamond and sapphire tiara from Count Christian and Countess Anne-Dorthe was not offered to the Queen (but perhaps it was and they declined) as it would form a nice sapphire Parure tiogether with her other sapphire Jewels who also came from Queen Alexandrine.
One can only hope that Elisabeth's sapphire and diamond tiara was acquired by the Queen or Crown Princess Mary, and that is why it was not included in the sale. If that is indeed the case, once a suitable period of time has elapsed, I look forward to seeing it being used by Crown Princess Mary.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 11-08-2018, 09:55 AM
loonytick's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Intersting that they are already selling pieces from Pricness ElisabethÄs estate given that she üpassed away only a few months ago. At last her diamond and sapphire tiara is not among the items. but perhaps it went to Count Ingolf as he is her brother..
The speed makes me think she herself may have organized (or ordered, at least) the preparation of her most valuable goods for auction, knowing that she was at the end of her life. She was ill for a prolonged time, after all, and her move a few years ago seemed to be accompanied by a great awareness/acceptance of her mortality.

A diamond and sapphire tiara is the centerpiece of the auction. Are you suggesting there’s another one in her collection that’s not up for sale?
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post

A diamond and sapphire tiara is the centerpiece of the auction. Are you suggesting there’s another one in her collection that’s not up for sale?


Yes there is another damond and sapphire tiara whioch belonged to Pricness Elisabeth. In it the center can be switched to turqioses. The tiara which is beeing sold belonged to Count Christian and Countess Anne-Dorthe of Rosenborg.
__________________
Stefan



Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 11-08-2018, 10:02 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
The speed makes me think she herself may have organized (or ordered, at least) the preparation of her most valuable goods for auction, knowing that she was at the end of her life. She was ill for a prolonged time, after all, and her move a few years ago seemed to be accompanied by a great awareness/acceptance of her mortality.

A diamond and sapphire tiara is the centerpiece of the auction. Are you suggesting there’s another one in her collection that’s not up for sale?
The tiara in the auction belonged to Elisabeth's brother Count Christian of Rosenborg.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 12-11-2018, 07:14 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,660
The second auction over Princess Elisabeth's possessions will take place in two days and here you can study what is put up for auction.
https://bruun-rasmussen.dk/m/auctions/1005810
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 12-11-2018, 07:39 AM
Tarlita's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,067
The most important item for me is the Romanov Coronation brooch.
From Tsar Nicholas the seconds coronation. A really important piece that I hope stays within the DRF.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 12-11-2018, 08:29 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 7,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The auction over Princess Elisabeth's possessions will take place in two days and her you can study what is put up for auction.
https://bruun-rasmussen.dk/m/auctions/1005810
Not just this,items from the estate of the late Princess Elisabeth have already been sold over the past two weeks at B & R.It's as if they've emptied everything even the last kitchen drawer...

The saphire & diamond tiara found a new owner for 2.8 million DK.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:46 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 6,054
No : These are Princess Elisabeth furnitures . Black and white pictures of the family are cancelled. They are selling Prince Henrik 75 th Commemoration Medal.
Very high estimation. Sorgenfri must be empty.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:51 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 27,803
It looks like nothing was kept not even royal medals or photos!
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 12-11-2018, 02:37 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,660
I wonder what they kept.
The kitchen sink perhaps?

It can only be a few and very personal things.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 12-11-2018, 03:05 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 6,054
Mr Muhler , I followed the first Auction (tiara Auction ) in live and had to pay 1 DKK to Bruun Rasmussen . Just received my VISA expenses and it is 0,13 euros. I don't know if I may follow the second Auction or have to pay again!.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 12-11-2018, 03:08 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Mr Muhler , I followed the first Auction (tiara Auction ) in live and had to pay 1 DKK to Bruun Rasmussen . Just received my VISA expenses and it is 0,13 euros. I don't know if I may follow the second Auction or have to pay again!.
I don't know.
But at that price I will guess it's one auction only.

And perhaps you can give us a report?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Elisabeth Music Competition, 2008-2020 stephanievl Royal Family of Belgium 332 06-08-2020 10:49 AM
Cremation Ceremony of King Bhumibol Adulyadej; 26 October 2017 Appleich Royal Family of Thailand 156 09-08-2018 12:28 AM
Death of Inés Zorreguieta, Queen Máxima's Sister: June 5, 2018 Ilse King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and family 136 06-20-2018 02:57 AM
Princess Elisabeth of Belgium: News and Pictures Part 2 Julia Current Events Archive 142 10-26-2006 04:25 AM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi american history anastasia once upon a time ancestry armstrong-jones bangladesh baptism british royals chittagong countess of snowdon cover-up danish history dragons dutch history dutch royal family dutch royals family tree games haakon vii hill history house of grimaldi house of orange-nassau imperial household interesting introduction israel jewelry jumma kids movie king willem-alexander list of rulers mailing maxima mbs nepal nepalese royal family nobel prize norway history prince charles prince charles of luxembourg prince constantijn prince daniel princely family of monaco princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess elizabeth pronunciation queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress spain speech spencer family startling new evidence thailand tracts unsubscribe videos visit from sweden wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×