Danish State Visit to Vietnam: November 1-6, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for posting the article re Prince Henrik and his time spent growing up with his family in Vietnam. I was curious about their dealings with the plantations, and enjoyed learning about his tender visit to the cathedral in memorandum of his grandfather.

If the Vnecked dress was recycled into the gown she wore in Vietnam, she made a very wise choice. The color combination of the lace and lining look better now, and the boat neck is much more flattering and elegant than the V shape that the other had. Beautiful gown, just beautiful.

What a wonderfully emotional trip for Prince Henrik, to be able to see places from early childhood and share them with his family. Had the queen ever been there with him before?

I love love LOVE Mary's blue-gray dress at the dinner!!!

Rylt11, the Queen has never been to Vietnam before.

It's a bandeau of daisies with tuqioses betweeen. The Queen inherited it from her mother. I think Mary has not worn a tiara because her Wedding tiara would to big compared to the the tiara of the Queen. It was also sometimes the Case at a State Visit of Queen Beatrix, Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima to a southern Country (don't remember which one) where Beatrix was the only one wearing a tiara (the diamond badeau in this case).

Generally where Republics and Commonwealth countries are concerned, the visiting royal entourage (Queen Elizabeth not included) don't wear any major pieces of jewellery, or if they do, they keep it to a very minimal as seen here.

Only during incoming state visits do we see any real show of majesty.

Article (in Vietnamese) and a series of pictures of Frederik and Mary at the Bang and Olufsen store in Hanoi:
Thái tá»* Đan Mạch vén mÃ*n 'tuyệt tác' B&O tại Việt Nam | Zing News | Tin tức 24h

Article (in Vietnamese) and pictures of Frederik at the opening of the Hanoi Beer Company's new brewery:
HoÃ*ng thái tá»* Đan mạch thăm vÃ* trồng cây lÆ°u niệm tại NhÃ* máy Bia Mê Linh - HÃ* ná»™i

Thanks for posting, JessRulz. The Frederik beer drinking photos are classic.

This turquise tiara was designed by Queen Margrethe herself;

I think its amazing that she designs most of her jewelery.:)

I agree that the dress code at this dinner looked abit odd. It looks half casual/half formal for a state occasion.

Generally where Republics and Commonwealth countries are concerned, the visiting royal entourage (Queen Elizabeth not included) don't wear any major pieces of jewellery, or if they do, they keep it to a very minimal as seen here.

Only during incoming state visits do we see any real show of majesty.

Why should QEII Be an exception to the rule? Is it because she is one of the more famous royals?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think maybe Mary shouldve taken her hat off for the lunch.

Queen Margrethe, The Prince Consort Henrik, Crown Prince Fredrik and Crown Princess Mary attended a business lunch at the Melia Hotel Hanoi
Picture Gallery

HM the Queen and the Crown Princess attend a presentation at the Batida Children's and Youth Theatre
Picture Gallery

Denmark's Crown Princess Mary, Queen Margrethe II, Vietnam's President Nguyen Minh Triet and Crown Prince Frederik enjoy a street dance performance during the Opening of Street Art festival in Hanoi, Vietnam, 03 November 2009
Picture Gallery ** Pic 1 ** Pic 2
Picture Gallery 2 ** Picture Gallery 3
Picture Gallery 4

Last edited:
I think maybe Mary shouldve taken her hat off for the lunch.
How could she? The Queen was still wearing her hat as well. CP Mary could not remove her hat if the Queen did not.:flowers:

How could she? The Queen was still wearing her hat as well. CP Mary could not remove her hat if the Queen did not.:flowers:

Does that mean of a Queen wears a hat Mary & Marie have to wear them as well? I thought it would be okay as it was a lunch to take it off. Thanks for the reply.

No photos without watermarks? Thanks a lot...

No photos without watermarks? Thanks a lot...

The polfoto pictures have a small watermark on the top side which doesnt ruin the picture at all. Go through the gallaries to see.
There are a gallery or two with only polfoto pictures.

Does that mean of a Queen wears a hat Mary & Marie have to wear them as well? I thought it would be okay as it was a lunch to take it off. Thanks for the reply.

No,Ladies always do wear hats outside and inside when a guest.When at home neither the Queen nor the Princess wears a hat
inside as they are in their own home.Etiquette.:)

PPE Agency

courtesy ppe

Last edited:
This turquise tiara was designed by Queen Margrethe herself;
No, it is an heirloom from her mother. Sorry, I can't post photos, but I have pictures of a bride wearing it. Not sure if it was Queen Ingrid, but the picture are quite old, definitely before Queen Margrete was old enough to design anything:whistling:
I also got pictures of the state visit to Tanzania in 2008, and the Queen wore the same tiara, same earrings, maybe even the same pearl necklace, but worn in 4 instead of 3 rows, the brooch looks the same AND she even wears the same dress!!! If I remember correctly, I copied these pics from the thread about the Tanzanian state visit.

Ladies do not usually remove their hats unless they are part of their outerwear. Mary's hat was part of her outfit and therefore should stay on her head.

I think its amazing that she designs most of her jewelery.:)

I agree that the dress code at this dinner looked abit odd. It looks half casual/half formal for a state occasion.

Why should QEII Be an exception to the rule? Is it because she is one of the more famous royals?

Being Queen of the Commonwealth would make her the exception to the rule, yes. And moreso when she is the Queen of a particular Commonwealth country, such as our own.

The Queen has also always worn a tiara when visiting republics aswell. Generally they have been either the Girls of Great Britain & Ireland tiara or the Grand Duchess Vladimir Kokoshnik.

It was also sometimes the Case at a State Visit of Queen Beatrix, Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima to a southern Country (don't remember which one) where Beatrix was the only one wearing a tiara (the diamond badeau in this case).

Perhaps it was their four day state visit to India?

Last edited by a moderator:
is my idea but I think I can see her 2 ladie in witing for Mary in the photos?

thanks everyone for the interesting discussion on hat protocol! very englightening indeed.

did mary have her gala dress fixed then? i really liked the hatpiece she chose for the 3rd november, looks quite similar to the one marie wore to the opening of the parliament - maybe same designer?

thanks everyone for the interesting discussion on hat protocol! very englightening indeed.

did mary have her gala dress fixed then? i really liked the hatpiece she chose for the 3rd november, looks quite similar to the one marie wore to the opening of the parliament - maybe same designer?

The dress from day 2 dinner has been altered and the hat is very similar indeed ro Marie's hat but not sure if same designer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom