Danish State Visit to Germany: November 10-13, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has actually been well-covered by the main TV news, so there should be a number of videos.

I suggest our newsdiggers check out tv2.dk and dr.dk.

The focus on TV2 news tonight was a museum about the German refugees fleeing in particular the Soviet army at the end of WWII.
Several hundred thousands sought refuge in DK and as such a museum has been build in DK to cover this little knows and to this day still sensitive subject.
But as this is also German history, Germany has help fund the museum.
- A kind of bridge-building and strengthening mutual relationships through common history.
We in DK have become pretty unsentimental in regards to our history, also the WWII history, as the WWII generation has grown old and dying off, and in a number of cases wish to put the record straight.
That is both in regards to positive events in regards to what happened during WWII, but also the negative things that were either glossed over or hidden away.
I think that's a healthy approach. Studying, learning and reflecting based on hard facts, albeit sometimes unpleasant, is IMO always preferable.
The Germans are just as unsentimental and frank about their history, so I think quite a lot of Germans might wish to visit that museum.
I did rally DR, but found nothing really. Perhaps I didn´t look good enough. Haven´t tried TV 2 yet. youtube, full of extended dutch-norwegian videos, nothing significant about the danish visit to Berlin. History might be interesting - but I was looking forward to find something about this state visit.

I don't uderstand why the Queen did not ask to invite her Nephew Prince Gustav of SWB, a German Prince , at the first State Dinner ?
No video , and I am wondering if the German Guests did Bow and Cutsey ?

"Here, Queen Margrethe spoke warmly about how she and her son Frederik complement each other.

- I do not know, but there is one thing that is certain: neither one nor the other can do both things at the same time. So when we are two about it, we can embrace it a little wider. He can do a great deal with business and the kind that would fall to me barely as naturally as it falls to him, the queen said.
uestion.

"I think he did really well, and I was really proud that a mother can be allowed to be - and can not help but say," said Queen Margrethe with a smile."
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...rederik-jeg-er-saa-stolt-som-en-mor-kan-vaere

and on her German
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-saadan-fik-dronning-margrethe-alle-til-grine

BB small videos showing the Queen shaking hands and then realised she could not. Lucky Prince Frederic was there . A 3 days State Visit was difficult for Her . Congratulations she did it .

Last edited:
"Here, Queen Margrethe spoke warmly about how she and her son Frederik complement each other.

- I do not know, but there is one thing that is certain: neither one nor the other can do both things at the same time. So when we are two about it, we can embrace it a little wider. He can do a great deal with business and the kind that would fall to me barely as naturally as it falls to him, the queen said.
uestion.

"I think he did really well, and I was really proud that a mother can be allowed to be - and can not help but say," said Queen Margrethe with a smile."
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...rederik-jeg-er-saa-stolt-som-en-mor-kan-vaere

and on her German
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-saadan-fik-dronning-margrethe-alle-til-grine

Google translate won't be much help here!
Marianne Singer who is accompanying QMII and Frederik to Germany is writing the quotes word for word and QMII, like most Danes, has a tendency to not finish sentences.

So here is what she says about her German (corrected by me):
"If there are someone who can remember possible German lessons in their youth, then they will remember that it's frightfully difficult to master the German language, because there is so much grammar. And the worst thing about that grammar is that there is nothing you can do if it's wrong. (Marianne Singer omitted a word here)
You can conceal terribly many misspellings in French, once you pronounce it, but you really can't with German.
I haven't used it (speaking German) as much as I perhaps ought to because many have been so kind to speak English, and excellent English, to me.
But I have indeed been trying to speak a little household (basic) German from time to time. - A VERY small house."

- I did hear her speak German on TV and I believe her German is way superior to most Danes. - Alas, most Danes speak at best a rudimentary German.

ADDED: I just saw a segment with QMII on the news visiting Bavaria. It's remarkable to see the flower-children presenting flowers wearing masks - we sure live in surreal times!
I also noticed a Bavarian Schütchen Verband (I think they were) complete in traditional hats and lederhosen singing and firing a salute in her honor - with relatively modern Mauser-carbines rather than traditional muzzle-loaders. I wonder if that upgrade, so to speak, has something to do with safety regulation.

Last edited:
As so often before QMII is asked all sorts of questions by the press, sometimes she dodges them, others she answer very directly.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/dronning-m...ten-hvis-vi-overreagerer-tror-jeg-at-det-goer

She was asked whether she believe there are enough women in politics:
(Laughing.) "I'm not in politics and as I'm supposed to stay out of politics I have no opinion."

But asked about Corona- restrictions being reintroduced she replied basically with a keep calm and carry on:
"We have to accept the fact that the infection is on the rise and we must try and be sensible, but not over-react, because if we over-react, I think that will increase the problem more than it has to. And that means people will become irritated and not take proper precautions.
We have to maintain a sensible balance between being conscious about the danger, but not over-react, because if people become irritated and doesn't maintain good sense, then it's really bad."

- The journalist noticed that QMII is not comfortable with masks. - Presumably because she is not used to them and wear glasses. (Wearing glasses myself I simply gave up wearing glasses when I wore a mask. So I can well understand her.)

Today I was in Munich to see Queen Margrethe. I saw her leaving the Residenz after the official reception by Ministerpräsident Markus Söder.

I got really big goosepumps as I saw her and saw a parade of different Trachtenvereine (clubs wearing traditional costumes). Before this I got also goosepumps as I heard salute shootings by "Gebirgsschützen" (mountain rifleman - do not know the right english word).

The day is for me a day for eternaty.

:previous: :cool:

What did people around you notice and say?

:previous: :cool:

What did people around you notice and say?

Sorry this day was so crazy for me that I have some troubles to understand your question! It was totally unexpected for me to have the chance to see her after the news from yesterday that the reception will be without public.

The whole mood at the square outside Residenz was positive and there were also some Danes watching the scene.

Okay. ?

What did you hear people say about QMII?
And was there something specific they noticed?
What was your impression of seeing QMII in person?
Looking regal? Frail? Nett? In fine form? Wie ein richtiches oma? And so on...
Was the atmosphere gemütlich?

Okay. ?

What did you hear people say about QMII?
And was there something specific they noticed?
What was your impression of seeing QMII in person?
Looking regal? Frail? Nett? In fine form? Wie ein richtiches oma? And so on...
Was the atmosphere gemütlich?

What people said about QMII didn't I hear. I was so focused on the entrance of the Residenz to see her coming out. My impression of what I saw of her that she had enjoyed the bavarian style of saying "welcome". She looked happy.

She looked healthy for me. She had walked alone and was looked not like a "richtiger Oma". She looked nice (what I could see, she was a little bit too far away from me).

The atmosphere was absolutely peacefully but also a little bit excited. As she came out the whole crowd (wasn't to big because of Corona) was totally pleased to see her again.

Dear Admins of this thread: I was there with a friend and she took some videos of Margrethe leaving. Am I allowed to upload two very interesting videos?

Principessa , when I was young in 1976 I lived in Luxembourg and saw Queen Elisabeth Ii on the evening wearing her big tiara sparkling so much in the dark that I had a terrible impression and will never forget !

Thank you all for letting telling my impressions from a wonderful and unforgetable day.

Queen M lost a Pearl on her Pearl Poire brooch at the first gala dinner entering the Schloss. Does anyone know if it’s been found yet?

I was also in Munich on Friday. At the Residence it was very difficult to see the Queen as the Public where keept on a distance and after getting out of the Car she was greeted by several people and then they went it. After that had taken place i then choose to walk to the Glyptothekt where Hm was sxpected 1 hour later. There no Barriers had been put onm and i could stand quiet close to the Car and on see here very good, specially as she left it after spending 1 hoiur sinse, as she then had to come several stairs.

:previous: Thanks, Did she have problems with the stairs?

An interesting local article (in German) about QMII's visit yesterday:
https://www.donaukurier.de/nachrich...vollem-Auftritt-in-Muenchen;art155371,4827509

It's a pretty positive article.
Saying among other things that the Bavarians like royalty.
If true. Is it because Bavaria had until fairly recently its own royal house?
Because Bavarians are (dare I say traditionally) more conservative?
Or because Bavaria has a rich and cultivated, historical tradition?

The article also mentions a demonstration at the Glyptotek. Not aimed at QMII (I trust) but due to someone being deported.

https://www.donaukurier.de/nachrich...vollem-Auftritt-in-Muenchen;art155371,4827509

The article also mentions a demonstration at the Glyptotek. Not aimed at QMII (I trust) but due to someone being deported.

No she made them quiet well. But coming out she was of course carefull as they have been very steep.
I would say think it are not olny the bavarians who like royalty. When some famous royals are visting there are usually always several onlookers there not only in Bavaria.

For example when King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima visited Stuttgart several years ago there where also a loot of onlookers.

The southern part of Bavaria is very keen on keeping historical traditions alive. The northern part because its history as Franconia is not so hands-on traditions. There are also some unions but not as many as in the South.

In Bavaria exists a political party called "Bayern-Partei" ("Party of Bavaria) which has as one main aim the transfer back to the Kingdom of Bavaria. But they are not very successful at elections.

Many Bavarians like royalty because they have several (not necessary personal) bonds to the House of Wittelsbach. And Bavaria has still economical efforts in tourism because of the royal history. Think of Schloss Neuschwanstein, one of the most famous and most visited castle in Europe.

I think Crown Princess Mary ought to be there as well.

Why though? Do she really need to cling to Frederik's side always? I think its nice that the crown prince and crown princess dont have to do everything together. That will strenghten their relationship/marriage, and maybe the queen also enjoys the sole company of her son, once in a while. Its something else being alone with your child without their spouse, children ect.. It's important to do so. I am happy to see Frederik and the queen having some quality one on one time together......who knows how many years the queen has left.

Last edited:

Here is a video of the Queen at residenz.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-se-dronning-margrethes-overvaeldende-ankomst

:previous: nice! Some private time for the Queen. I was wondering where she was heading since Frederik is regent through Monday.

:previous: nice! Some private time for the Queen. I was wondering where she was heading since Frederik is regent through Monday.

Berleburg?

Or visiting things of culture in Germany?

You don't happen to have a particularly interesting archeological dig in Germany these days?

ADDED: I see Iceflower has already provided the answer.

I wonder who took the pictures?

Back
Top Bottom