Danish Royal Family, Current Events Part 6: June 2020 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not that Joachim said much.

He pointed out that the Danish movie industry is busy and doing well these days, and it's interesting to meet people from the industry.

Last edited:
It's no coincidence that both QMII and Frederik will receive the Ukrainian Foreign Minister.

Normally a foreign minister would be received by a minister or at best Frederik.

So this is showing solidarity with Ukraine in connection with the tense situation along the Ukrainian and Russian border.
Ukraine is as you all know not member of NATO, but a number of NATO countries, including DK, has deployed military to the general region and not least the three Baltic countries. And of more immediate use for Ukraine also delivered military equipment (and we may guess intelligence) to Ukraine.

Is there a risk of a NATO-Russia confrontation? I don't think so. Or at least I cannot imagine that being part of a plan. The Russian government want something they can show of publicly as a show of strength. However, there is always the risk that someone somewhere do something wrong and then we may have a NATO-Russian skirmish on our hands.
It will also be interesting to see whether the Russian government is playing a gamble that may backfire, in which case we will see Finland and Sweden join NATO within a year or two - I can't see Georgia join NATO, that would be a step too far.
I suspect a likely outcome will be that the world (read NATO and EU) will de facto accept the annexation of Crimea and the Donbas region in Ukraine. In return Russia will grudgingly accept Finland and Sweden joining NATO, with Ukraine moving very close to EU.

This visit could be interesting even awkward!

https://www.bt.dk/royale/bts-royale...iske-kongehus-frygter-prins-andrew-sagen-naar

As you know Kate will be visiting DK tomorrow and spend time with in particular Mary in relation with various projects.

The British embassy has requested (apparently almost ordering) the press not to ask Kate questions about Prince Andrew. The embassy warns that Journalists attempting to ask questions will be turned away. - But can they do that in Denmark? It is very rare that a journalist is asked to leave here.

The problem is that there are different traditions regarding the press and the royal in DK. In DK is more than common that the royals answer a few questions and perhaps even give a short interview in connection with whatever event they are attending. Mary in particular does that all the time. The purpose of course being to bring forward a message.

The opinion from BT in article hints that the Danish press see the request from the embassy as a provocation and now very much intend to ask Kate questions about Andrew.

The poll in the article show that 70 % find it acceptable that the BRF don't answer questions about Andrew.
- I tend to agree actually. This is something you ask Charles or William - expecting a comment from them. But Kate (at least officially) is outside the process of how the Andrew-issue has been handled within the BRF.

- Having said that it will be interesting to compare the two approaches. As said before it's more than common that Mary gives a little factual interview.
I don't follow Kate that much, so I don't really know whether she does something similar.

Last edited:
Kate doesn't answer questions at her events. In fact, her events appear to be very choreographed.

My fear is that if a Danish reporter asks a question, the British media will retaliate using Mary. And if people don't think they will, well....this trip is very much PR first and foremost imo.

And how can the British Embassy basically threaten the Danish media?

Kate doesn't answer questions at her events. In fact, her events appear to be very choreographed.

My fear is that if a Danish reporter asks a question, the British media will retaliate using Mary. And if people don't think they will, well....this trip is very much PR first and foremost imo.

And how can the British Embassy basically threaten the Danish media?

Hmm, how so? Mary can easily deflect questions about Andrew.

I think the embassy directed its request mainly at the British press, without perhaps considering how the Danish press will respond.
If a British official show a Danish journalist the door - in Denmark - the rest of the Danish journalists could very well walk out in sympathy. It's a real possibility!

That of course is a bad scenario.

What I find interesting is that if Kate doesn't answer questions but Mary usually always do and indeed is expected to answer questions and give statements, it would certainly look odd!
I can of course see the DRF adopt the BRF approach as a courtesy, because as I see it, this is mainly a PR-trip for Kate.

It would be, I think, a bit shallow, if Kate is on a fact-finding mission to DK and doesn't even come up with a statement. Then it is reduced to a photo op and a comparison about who is most stylish - and neither Mary nor Kate deserve that.

Last edited:
If Mary does not answer a question or give a quick statement like usual it will stand out like a sore thumb imo. Especially since she's always prepared to answer at least one question that will get her message out.

This is already Cabot oh the photos, what will they wear, statements about how they look like sisters...a few even about how it is obvious Mary copies Kate....ugh.

It would make sense for Kate to at least be prepared to answer a question about what this trip is stated to be about. I mean in Denmark the press is now used to being able to ask the kids at least one question. And those kids have been well prepared to give a articulate reply.

What do you mean walk out in sympathy? Like the other Danish reporters would walk out in solidarity with their fellow press member? If that happens that the British embassy expels a member of the press how will that be looked upon in Denmark?

There was a rumour about how William and Victoria had different approaches to the press during the Cambridge visit to Stockholm a few years ago and how those differences caused some friction between their people.

There was a rumour about how William and Victoria had different approaches to the press during the Cambridge visit to Stockholm a few years ago and how those differences caused some friction between their people.

Interesting. That does not surprise me. I won't be shocked if there is a repeat of that now. Like I said above...imo the BRF engagements are very controlled, managed and packaged. They are more photo ops and PR than anything else imo. I do not see this visit being any different given the main talking points I've seen so far.

If Mary does not answer a question or give a quick statement like usual it will stand out like a sore thumb imo. Especially since she's always prepared to answer at least one question that will get her message out.

This is already Cabot oh the photos, what will they wear, statements about how they look like sisters...a few even about how it is obvious Mary copies Kate....ugh.

It would make sense for Kate to at least be prepared to answer a question about what this trip is stated to be about. I mean in Denmark the press is now used to being able to ask the kids at least one question. And those kids have been well prepared to give a articulate reply.

What do you mean walk out in sympathy? Like the other Danish reporters would walk out in solidarity with their fellow press member? If that happens that the British embassy expels a member of the press how will that be looked upon in Denmark?

I mean walk out en mass. If a Danish journalist is turned away - in Denmark, which will be seen as a big provocation, an insult in fact - they are likely to walk out all of them. They have done that before. Not in a DRF context though.
The Danish press corps is of course much smaller than the British and everybody know everybody else and some will have worked for the media that a potential journalist who is turned away works for. The Danish journalists are also very unionized and certainly act like a guild. So they may disagree violently but when it matters, that is in regards to the freedom of covering events, they stick together.
I don't know how they will react if a British journalist is turned away. They would certainly make a point of it in their coverage! That's for sure.

It's basically a question of when in Rome...
If a DRF member go to Britain, it is accepted that the BRF rules apply.
But when a foreign royal visit DK, it is expected that the DRF approach is used. And that means answering questions and giving statements.

I mean the DK press is not going to roast Kate. But asking for a comment about Andrew would be seen as a very natural thing, even if she dodges the question or says no comments.

To sum it up: It's the right to ask such a question that matters, not so much if the question is answered.

So yes, I'm willing to bet a months salary that a DK journalist will ask Kate for a comment about Andrew.

This visit could be interesting even awkward!

https://www.bt.dk/royale/bts-royale...iske-kongehus-frygter-prins-andrew-sagen-naar

As you know Kate will be visiting DK tomorrow and spend time with in particular Mary in relation with various projects.

The British embassy has requested (apparently almost ordering) the press not to ask Kate questions about Prince Andrew. The embassy warns that Journalists attempting to ask questions will be turned away. - But can they do that in Denmark? It is very rare that a journalist is asked to leave here.

The problem is that there are different traditions regarding the press and the royal in DK. In DK is more than common that the royals answer a few questions and perhaps even give a short interview in connection with whatever event they are attending. Mary in particular does that all the time. The purpose of course being to bring forward a message.

The opinion from BT in article hints that the Danish press see the request from the embassy as a provocation and now very much intend to ask Kate questions about Andrew.

The poll in the article show that 70 % find it acceptable that the BRF don't answer questions about Andrew.
- I tend to agree actually. This is something you ask Charles or William - expecting a comment from them. But Kate (at least officially) is outside the process of how the Andrew-issue has been handled within the BRF.

- Having said that it will be interesting to compare the two approaches. As said before it's more than common that Mary gives a little factual interview.
I don't follow Kate that much, so I don't really know whether she does something similar.

Interesting indeed. Regardless of whether it would be appropriate or inappropriate to ask the Duchess of Cambridge about the Duke of York, it sounds as if the British monarchy and government (via the embassy) may be overstepping their authority by endeavoring to restrict press reporting in a manner foreign to Danish tradition. I wonder if the Danish monarchy and government were consulted and approved the British embassy's actions?

Different in what way?

I mean walk out en mass. If a Danish journalist is turned away - in Denmark, which will be seen as a big provocation, an insult in fact - they are likely to walk out all of them. They have done that before. Not in a DRF context though.
The Danish press corps is of course much smaller than the British and everybody know everybody else and some will have worked for the media that a potential journalist who is turned away works for. The Danish journalists are also very unionized and certainly act like a guild. So they may disagree violently but when it matters, that is in regards to the freedom of covering events, they stick together.
I don't know how they will react if a British journalist is turned away. They would certainly make a point of it in their coverage! That's for sure.

It's basically a question of when in Rome...
If a DRF member go to Britain, it is accepted that the BRF rules apply.
But when a foreign royal visit DK, it is expected that the DRF approach is used. And that means answering questions and giving statements.

I mean the DK press is not going to roast Kate. But asking for a comment about Andrew would be seen as a very natural thing, even if she dodges the question or says no comments.

To sum it up: It's the right to ask such a question that matters, not so much if the question is answered.

So yes, I'm willing to bet a months salary that a DK journalist will ask Kate for a comment about Andrew.

Then that is something she should be prepared for, even anticipate being asked about it.

I see now. It is a thing of when you attack one of us, you attack all of us type of situation.

From what I understand there will be media when she's recieved by QMII and Mary. Then also on the walk to Frederik 8 as well. I have seen nothing about any press access at the visit to the crisis center however. Not to say there won't be media outside.

If a Danish reporter asks about it I will almost guarantee the british royal reporters will have a field day and drag all of Denmark for daring to attack the poor Duchess. I am almost certain of that. Not all, but at least some will.

Interesting indeed. Regardless of whether it would be appropriate or inappropriate to ask the Duchess of Cambridge about the Duke of York, it sounds as if the British monarchy and government (via the embassy) may be overstepping their authority by endeavoring to restrict press reporting in a manner foreign to Danish tradition. I wonder if the Danish monarchy and government were consulted and approved the British embassy's actions?

I don't think so. The Danish court would certainly advise very strongly against this move as being counter productive.
Because all Kate has to say is: No comment.

Then that is something she should be prepared for, even anticipate being asked about it.

I see now. It is a thing of when you attack one of us, you attack all of us type of situation.

From what I understand there will be media when she's recieved by QMII and Mary. Then also on the walk to Frederik 8 as well. I have seen nothing about any press access at the visit to the crisis center however. Not to say there won't be media outside.

If a Danish reporter asks about it I will almost guarantee the british royal reporters will have a field day and drag all of Denmark for daring to attack the poor Duchess. I am almost certain of that. Not all, but at least some will.

Exactly.
And I can't imagine there will be no pres coverage of the visits. After all this has been announced publicly. Otherwise Kate could just have slipped over to DK incognito and announced the fact afterwards.

I'm not so sure the British press will be particularly hostile towards DK. For one Danish journalist asking for comment on Andrew?
While Kate has a very good press these days, the BRF has been roasted for their handling of the Andrew issue and not least financing the settlement.

I think any British roasting of the Danish press and Denmark in particular would simply be met with indifference.

Charles and William have both been asked about the Andrew drama by journalists covering royal visits and have both simply ignored the question. William was also asked about the claims the RF were racist and answered back with a simple one line "we are very much not a racist family". On none of those occasions has it later been said the reporter who asked was kicked out, denied access at a later date etc.

I think if Kate were asked she would simply ignore the question, even a "no comment" seems unlikely to me but then the BRF are not usually put in a position to be asked questions by the media in such a way, if they happen it is usually during a public event shouted out so is easier to ignore than going into a corner specifically to answer questions by the media.

Foreign trips are always more fraught and tense IMO as the local media, the UK embassy team and others are also involved and there are more people trying to keep everything happening in a certain way so that is always bound to cause tension. I can imagine here that the Embassy in Denmark is eager to try to make sure no questions get asked etc whereas in reality the KP team are probably more relaxed.

I'd be interested to hear more about the differences between Victoria and William, they are both so similar in many ways yet I can see vastly different approaches to the media in Sweden vs the UK by the Royal Families. IMO both are rather in the extreme.

From what I read and heard William didn't really agree with the extent of Victoria's willingness to accommodate journalists and photographers on their outings during the visit. The Swedes are often happy to pose for photographs and to offer spontaneous comments when they find it suitable. The Cambridges also pose for pictures and offer comments, but it seems much less spontaneous.

From what I read and heard William didn't really agree with the extent of Victoria's willingness to accommodate journalists and photographers on their outings during the visit. The Swedes are often happy to pose for photographs and to offer spontaneous comments when they find it suitable. The Cambridges also pose for pictures and offer comments, but it seems much less spontaneous.

William would have been a guest there so he needed to take several seats. Like I have said before, the engagements of the BRF are very managed, controlled, produced and packaged for maximum PR because that is really all they are...PR photo ops for maximum optics.

William would have been a guest there so he needed to take several seats. Like I have said before, the engagements of the BRF are very managed, controlled, produced and packaged for maximum PR because that is really all they are...PR photo ops for maximum optics.

All Royal Families engagements contain a lot of PR. When Mary or Victoria etc take questions and pose for pics that's to come across a certain way so that the public respond positively to them. Mary's large scale birthday celebrations were PR and she's also much more comfortable with the press in general than some royals. Neither way is necessarily a bad way, just different considering the different culture, media and reach of each family.

I'd say a part of the strictly controlled environment for the BRF engagements IS because they don't want whatever is currently going on with the family or the royal themselves to be ALL the story. They want the places, people and causes they visit to get a look in. I think there would be criticism in the UK press if Kate "made it about herself" all the time even if it was unfair and they were the ones asking the questions. For anything Early Years connected we see more of Kate's opinion on it than other things.

The slide at Lego land was really cute.

Last edited:
Here's a video from this mornings audience with the queen at the Amalienborg Palace.

Lovely to see Mary. Horse events are right up her alley and seeing her with Nathalie is always nice

Last edited:
This evening, March 27, Queen Margrethe, Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie will attend a ballet performance (in participation of former recipients of the Queen Ingrid's Honorary Scholarship), will award the final Queen Ingrid's Honorary Scholarship and afterwards attend a dinner with the invited guests at Christian VII's Palace.

The Palace shared a little preview of the ballet performance:

** instagram video **

Queen Margrethe, Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie attended a dress rehearsal and a review of show's various elements. A TV team has transformed the Knights' Hall at Christian IX's Palace into a studio, the show will be shown live on TV2 this evening:

** instagram gallery **

And the three sisters at the event itself this evening:

** Pic ** rex gallery **

** kongehuset gallery: Palæerne Danser ** kongehuset video **

** BB Video: Margrethe byder på frisk bemærkning på vej til middag med sine søstre **

** BB article: Se billederne: Gæsterne ankommer til festmiddag hos Margrethe, Benedikte og Anne-Marie **

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom