Danish Royal Family Christmas: 2003, 2004, 2006-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The three poor nisser spend the night in the park around Marselisborg, but today they moved inside at the nearby cavalier-building. And here Frederik lived while studying in Aarhus, with a friend and two PET officer - a bachelors-den. And it is here the CP family usually stay while at Marselisborg.
QMII has on several occasions described Marselisborg as "an awfully big house with awfully little room." Because when the place was build, no one seemingly thought that royals could have children...
So there are plenty of living rooms at Marselisborg, but very few bedrooms.

But back to the Cavalier building.
When you enter the place, you will see a polar-bear's head hanging on the wall.
That was a gift from the Polar-explorer, Knud Rasmussen, whom King Christian X and his family met, when they embarked on a lengthy visit to Greenland back in 1921. - (The first visit by a Danish monarch ever.)
On his fifth expedition to northern Greenland, Knud Rasmussen and his men were attacked by a polar bear and had to shoot the creature and now it's hanging here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last two photos are from the billiard room and this is where the DRF gather, after having opened the presents.

I´m too old fashioned - but I don´t think paper dolls, even made by a Queen, belong in a candelabra in a royal Palace...

I love them. They are a quirky way to be shown about a person's home.

They are also stable enough to rest on various surfaces.
They are simple in the same league as Where's Wally.

Queen Margrethe should publish a children's book.

No luck in the park, so there can only be one place where nisse-mor can be: in the attic.
And that's where they will look tomorrow.

- So I guess the family will be unified tomorrow and enjoy their porridge together in the attic on the 24th.

The nisse today 23 December At the top of the ceiling of Marselisborg Castle is 100 years of royal history hidden away. Pictures, paintings and objects from the residents of the house stand on shelves and hang on sloping walls.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Z7Agrgn7W/

And today Christma's Eve the journey for Nisse ends at the Queen's newly decorated Christmas tree.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6ci5lLACOl/

They found nisse-mor!
In the attic, busy sorting through a box with QMII's Christmas decorations.

Tomorrow they will be taken down to the Christmas tree. (As you may recall, it's QMII who decorates the Christmas tree.) So I guess we will see the result tomorrow.

I can't wait to see the photos of QM directing and rising herd on a bunch of excited kids and directing the adults to assist.[emoji38]

My dog and I are dressing our tree tomorrow. I think with the right music it'll be a blast. [emoji4]

I love this annual tradition; the discoveries and travels of the nisse are something to look forward to, and always make me smile. Good that they found nisse-mor, that had me worried for a while ?

This is such a fun idea and also helps us learn about Danish royal - and festive in general - traditions. The nisse certainly get around! :D

So they ended up the right place, with a first row space at the DRF Christmas. No wonder nisserne (plural) see, hear and know so much about the DRF. ;)

- QMII decorates the tree in an old simplistic style: Balls, bells, glitter and glass-figures (like the guardsman) to catch the light. - No hearts, no cones, no paper angels, no nisser and no electric lights, only candles.
The tree is also used and displayed in the original style: Placed in a corner to be viewed at and admired while the family sing a number of psalms. - So no dancing around the Christmas tree either.

(..)

Reactions: eya
:xmastree2:The nisse-journey is complete! I have enjoyed keeping up with them every day. How nice of QM to share this tradition with us, and give us a glimpse into Danish history.

(..)

The candle light on the tree is especially lovely.

For personal Christmas messages please use the Private Message method, for general Christmas messages you can use our Christmas/New Years messages thread. A number of off-topic posts have been removed. Thank you for your understanding!

Thanks eya. Nice to see the family together; they seem to be in good spirits. It looks like Margrethe travelled to the church with Joachim and his family.

Joachim went on air, on a local radio in Aarhus, on Christmas Day (the 24th).

Each Christmas that station P4, send a seven hour long program, where people can call and send a Merry Christmas to loved ones.
But this year Joachim showed up at the studio:
Hosts (H): "This year we have a special guest here in While We Wait. A gentleman whom we this autumn got to know from a new angle as history-host on a number of programs on DR1"

A clip from the documentary Joachim hosted was played.
H: "We should perhaps mention. We had to agree to a form of addres. Normally you would say (formal) You to a Prince of Denmark. But he would like to be (informal) you with the Danes and you and me, Anders (the other radio host)"

They talked a little about the documentary, the team being described as a "dream team" by Joachim.
And he admitted he had indeed developed some appetite for doing more TV.

Then Joachim went on to describe the DRF Christmas, which starts at Aarhus Cathedral. (Later that day.) Something Joachim describes as a "sensory experience."

Back at Marselisborg it's time for the dinner.
Joachim (J): "When we dine we start out with rice-porridge. That is stuck. We will not do without that."
He also reveals that they don't dance around the Christmas Tree, but they sing psalms and Christmas songs.
Christmas is celebrated at a pace the youngest can keep up with. (Presumably meaning not too late.)

The segment with Joachim ends with him sending two well wishes:
"I'd like to send two. A broad-casted for all P4 listners today with a wish of a very Merry Christmas.
And then a special one for the two in the family who is not here tonight, my Nikolai and Felix. Merry Christmas."

There is a link to the segment, should you wish to listen to it, at the bottom of this article: https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-joachim-sendte-julehilsener-til-min-nikolai-og-felix-i-radioen

--------------------

Upon returning from Aarhus Cathedral, it's tradition that QMII stops at the gate and wish the guardsmen on duty a Merry Christmas. (I guess that it now also includes M&F.)
The guardsmen are predominantly picked from soldiers who come from Aarhus or the rest of Jutland. Their relatives showing up during the Christmas days to watch the changing of the guards with their son/daughter or take photos of their little boy/girl standing guard in a sentry box is a charming must. :wub:?:royalguard:?:photo:
Guard-duty on Christmas Eve and especially on New Years Eve is very sought after. So, alas, some will have to be turned down these two days.

----------------

ADDED:
QMII sets the table for Christmas in the same manner every year, see how in this BB gallery:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...aadan-daekker-dronning-margrethe-sit-julebord

The angels are particularly neat. They couldn't be more QMII.
The present at the end is an "almond-present."
In the bowl of porridge someone will have hidden an almond. Each guest gets a plate of porridge and the one who finds the almond wins the present.
The trick is of course to pretend you haven't found it and hide the fact from everybody else. Or to pretend you do have the almond but is trying to hide it from everybody else. To the frustration of children and childish souls. - It's a specialty of mine! :D
The present can be a marcipan pig or sweets or something completely different like a hideous Christmas sweater - but it almost looked good on our daughter. ?

Last edited:
Why don't the children join the adults for the Christmas service ?

Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:

You can hear people wishing the DRF: "Glædelig Jul = Merry Christmas" when they leave the cathedral.

DK is not a particularly religious country to put it mildly!
I think the approach is that apart from the Christmas service on Christmas Eve which is part of the "royal roadshow" (and also a family tradition) where they are pretty much obliged to show up, they leave it to the children to decide for themselves whether they wish to go or not. I.e. attending a service is something they may wish to do, rather than a chore.

Christian has I think reached the age where he has become very much aware of who he is and what he is. I think he is coming along because he see it as the "mature" and "right" thing to do. And perhaps he may wish to go as well?

And in the Lutheran faith, your faith, your worshiping and your prayers is between you and God. So an attendance at church isn't a requirement.

nice to see marie and joachim joining their family for xmas in denmark.

Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:

You can hear people wishing the DRF: "Glædelig Jul = Merry Christmas" when they leave the cathedral.

DK is not a particularly religious country to put it mildly!
I think the approach is that apart from the Christmas service on Christmas Eve which is part of the "royal roadshow" (and also a family tradition) where they are pretty much obliged to show up, they leave it to the children to decide for themselves whether they wish to go or not. I.e. attending a service is something they may wish to do, rather than a chore.

Christian has I think reached the age where he has become very much aware of who he is and what he is. I think he is coming along because he see it as the "mature" and "right" thing to do. And perhaps he may wish to go as well?

And in the Lutheran faith, your faith, your worshiping and your prayers is between you and God. So an attendance at church isn't a requirement.

Thanks
Also Christian having started his confirmation classes he might have a bigger interest in attending church on Christmas.

Nice that Joachim and family can return again to Denmark. The Queen must be so happy to finally see him.

And the Crown Prince Family in Amlienborg

Back
Top Bottom