Danish Royal Family Christmas: 2003, 2004, 2006-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexandria

Heir Apparent
Country
Canada
www.colourpress.com - Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte opened this year's exhibition of Christmas decorations at Royal Copenhagen porcelain factory in the Danish capital. The tables are decorated by Queen Margrethe. Photo: Klaus Moeller

Attachments

• COLOUR10020740.jpg
    COLOUR10020740.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 16,556
  • COLOUR10020734.jpg
    COLOUR10020734.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 16,393
  • COLOUR10020737.jpg
    COLOUR10020737.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 16,236
  • COLOUR10020741.jpg
    COLOUR10020741.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 16,365
  • COLOUR10020742.jpg
    COLOUR10020742.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 16,430
  • COLOUR10020732.jpg
    COLOUR10020732.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 16,142
  • COLOUR10020743.jpg
    COLOUR10020743.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 16,174
  • COLOUR10020738.jpg
    COLOUR10020738.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 16,307
  • COLOUR10020739.jpg
    COLOUR10020739.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 16,184
Last edited:
www.colourpress.com - Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte opened this year's exhibition of Christmas decorations at Royal Copenhagen porcelain factory in the Danish capital. The tables are decorated by Queen Margrethe. Photo: Klaus Moeller

1, 4, 5) here the Trend table.

http://www.colourpress.com/2,3) here the Fredensborg table.

1, 3, 6) here the Amalienborg table.

http://www.colourpress.com/2, 5) here the Marselisborg table.

Attachments

• COLOUR10020731.jpg
    COLOUR10020731.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 15,893
  • COLOUR10020730.jpg
    COLOUR10020730.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 15,776
  • COLOUR10020726.jpg
    COLOUR10020726.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 17,143
  • COLOUR10020721.jpg
    COLOUR10020721.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 16,918
  • COLOUR10020729.jpg
    COLOUR10020729.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 15,758
  • COLOUR10020728.jpg
    COLOUR10020728.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 15,607
  • COLOUR10020727.jpg
    COLOUR10020727.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 17,032
  • COLOUR10020725.jpg
    COLOUR10020725.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 15,549
  • COLOUR10020724.jpg
    COLOUR10020724.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 15,534
  • COLOUR10020722.jpg
    COLOUR10020722.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 16,864
  • COLOUR10020718.jpg
    COLOUR10020718.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 16,982
Last edited by a moderator:
www.colourpress.com - Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte opened this year's exhibition of Christmas decorations at Royal Copenhagen porcelain factory in the Danish capital. The tables are decorated by Queen Margrethe - here the Graasten table. Photo: Klaus Moeller

Polfoto 18-11-2003

If you follow this link and click on Royal Christmas Tables, you can see and read more of Queen Margrethe's Christmas tables decorations:

http://www.royalcopenhagen.com/

Attachments

• COLOUR10020719.jpg
    COLOUR10020719.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 15,149
  • COLOUR10020736.jpg
    COLOUR10020736.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 14,995
  • 277.jpg
    277.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 881
  • COLOUR10020717.jpg
    COLOUR10020717.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 14,833
  • COLOUR10020720.jpg
    COLOUR10020720.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 14,879
  • COLOUR10020735.jpg
    COLOUR10020735.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 14,753
  • 277a.jpg
    277a.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 277f.jpg
    277f.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 921
  • 277e.jpg
    277e.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 913
  • 277b.jpg
    277b.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 919
  • 277c.jpg
    277c.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,024
  • 277g.jpg
    277g.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,030
The Royal Family usually spends their Christmas in Marselisborg Palace in Århus - this being the Royal couple's holiday residence.

Since Marselisborg Palace is a holiday destination of the Royal Family, I would like to give some info's.

A Royal holiday destination

Holidays, pleasure and family life are closely inter-linked for most of us - as it is for the Danish Royal family which takes its refuge at the Marselisborg Palace in Århus - this being the Royal couple's holiday residence.
There is music on the quay and many hands waving small Danish flags when the Århus citizens come to the harbour in the summertime to greet the city's most popular holiday guests - Queen Margrethe and her family. Year after year they arrive in Århus by ship to spend part of the summer holiday at the Marselisborg Palace, where they usually also spend Christmas and Easter.
The Queen got a taste for life in Århus as early as 1961 when she was studying political science at the University of Aarhus and stayed at one of the local residence halls. She spent much of her time taking part in the excavations at the Prehistoric Museum in Moesgaard where she is still a frequent visitor.

A present from the Jutlanders

Originally the Marselisborg Palace was erected as a national gift for the present queen's grandparents, Prince Christian and Princess Alexandrine, back in 1902. Some local Jutlanders wanted to present the royal family with a residence in Jutland, and they collected a total of 150,000 kroner for its construction.
The gift was very well received by the recipients. After Prince Christian became king, Marselisborg remained very special to him and his family. He resisted all building activities around the palace because this would destroy the unique view of the bay and instead he bought up the land thereby turning the original 13.5 acres into the present 50-acre estate.
Following the death of King Christian his widow often stayed at the palace until she died in 1952. Thereafter the palace lay dormant until Crown Princess Margrethe and Prince Henrik initiated a major renovation of the estate in 1968. The palace was refurbished, as were the furnishings, and many new items of furniture were purchased.

Public allowed in the park

When the royal family are not in residence, there is free admission to the palace park for the public from morning till evening. Here you can follow the changing of the seasons in terms of both wildlife and vegetation.
The plants for the garden were originally selected by Queen Alexandrine. Today Queen Margrethe consults the palace gardeners regarding what she wants done. She has her own opinions as to the colours and shapes of rhododendron beds and the rose garden, whereas the Prince Consort, who takes a keen interest in gastronomy, rules in the vegetable garden.
A relaxed lifestyle, spending time with family and friends, strolls together with their many dogs, and hours spent on the tennis court, are special pleasures enjoyed and often expressed by the royal family about their holidays in Århus. They also always find time to go to church. Professor Christian Todberg, who is the royal family's chaplain, lives in Århus, and the royal family attend the service at the Cathedral both in connection with the festivals of the year and family functions.

Taking part in the life in the city

The royal couple also show their close relationship with Århus by their active participation in the life and matters of the city. The Queen is the patroness of the Aarhus Festival and the Old Town urban museum which she is fond of visiting both officially and in private because of her continuing interest in history.
Therefore, Århus inevitably provides the setting for many of the motifs in the royal family's personal photograph album; Christmas in the bosom of the family; Easter egg hunting in the park; Christenings and students' celebrations. For a hundred years now, the capital of Jutland has had the privilege of being the city of royal relaxation and pleasure.

Danish Christmas 2003

Alexandra samler familien om far - 27.12.03

Denne jul var noget helt specielt for prinsesse Alexandra. For første gang, siden hun blev Danmarks prinsesse, fejrede hun jul med sin egen familie – og ikke hos dronningen på Marselisborg.

Julen i år var noget ganske særligt for prinsesse Alexandra. Sammen med prins Joachim og børnene havde hun inviteret sine forældre og sine to søstre med mænd og børn til Schackenborg Slot for at fejre højtiden hjemme.
Det er otte år siden, at prinsesse Alexandra sidst har holdt jul sammen med sine forældre, søstre og deres familie. Siden hun blev gift med prins Joachim i 1995, har hun holdt jul med hans familie på Marselisborg Slot og Gråsten Slot.
Men som i alle familier må begge parter tilgodeses, og i år var turen så kommet til, at prinsessen Alexandras familie kom i første række.
Juledagene har også været til stor glæde for prinsesse Alexandras forældre, Christa og Richard Manley. Det kan ikke undgås, at de med to døtre og fem børnebørn på den anden side af Jorden i det daglige lider nogle afsavn. Så for dem har det været en umådelig dejlig jul, hvor de har haft alle deres børn og børnebørn samlet omkring sig.

Læs meget mere i BILLED-BLADET.

Would someone pls. translate!!! :flower:

It basically says that for the first time in 8 years (since she became Princess of DEnmark), Alexandra was able to spend Christmas with her parents. She was able to invite her parents and her two sisters with their children to her house. She was able to spend the special Christmas times with her parents, Joachim, Nikolai & Felix, her parents, her sisters and their children at Schackenborg instead of at Amalienborg with the Queen and Henrik, etc.

It was also special for Richard and Crista Manley because they were able to have their children and grandchildren together at Christmas. ('Cause the kiddies live far away)

Det er otte år siden, at prinsesse Alexandra sidst har holdt jul sammen med sine forældre, søstre og deres familie. Siden hun blev gift med prins Joachim i 1995, har hun holdt jul med hans familie på Marselisborg Slot og Gråsten Slot.
moosey60 translated that the B-B article said it is eight years since Princess Alexandra had celebrated christmas with her parents, sisters and their families.

However, B-B is wrong - 8 years ago - christmas 1995 - Princess Alexandra celebrated christmas with Queen Margrethe and the royal family.

Christmas 1994 - 9 years ago - Alexandra was in Denmark too - she was introduced to the Queen and the royal family - Prince Joachim has told later on.

Kurt Bache, personal secretary to J + A's court, confirmed that christmas 2003 - sister Martina and family as well as Alexandra's parents joined these royals at Schackenborg palace.

IBL - Denmark, Schackenborg Kirke, 24 December 2003, 20031224 Weihnachts-Gottesdienst, Mögeltönder Kirche, Prinzenfamilie Prinz Joachim und Prinzessin Alexandra mit Kinder Prinz Nikolaj und Felix, Eingang gehen, ganzfigur, Pfarrer, Auto © Gert Blume / Dana Press

IBL - Denmark, Schackenborg Kirke, 24 December 2003, 20031224 Weihnachts-Gottesdienst, Mögeltönder Kirche, Prinzenfamilie Prinz Joachim und Prinzessin Alexandra mit Kinder Prinz Nikolaj und Felix, Gruppenbild, Alexandras Eltern Manley, ganzfigur, Pfarrer © Gert Blume / Dana Press

Attachments

• post_53_1072705597.jpg
    post_53_1072705597.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 15,162
  • post_53_1072705774.jpg
    post_53_1072705774.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 16,093
It is nice to see Alexandra's father up and about. And I'm glad that with him being so sick, Alexandra and Joachim and their sons were able to celebrate the holidays with him and her sisters and their children.

Great pictures! I just love to see their happy faces during that special day!!! :flower:

I am so happy because for that event all the members of Princess Alex's family was there. In some event they might be present but not really in perfect attendance so I know Princess Alexandra was very happy that time.

It could have been more better if they celebrated Christmas with Prince Joachim's family. Like the Queen and Prince Henrik was there together with Prince Frederick and Mary Donaldson!

But it's fine with me. Seeing their happy faces. I know they will cherish that day..

Danish Christmas at Marselisborg 2004

would someone please translate what the statement below means:

Polfoto 09-12-2004 Arkiv - Den forestående skilsmisse mellem prins Joachim og prinsesse Alexandra ændrer ikke på juletraditionerne i den kongelige familie. Parret og deres to sønner, prins Nikolai og prins Felix, samles med den øvrige familie til juleaften på Marselisborg Slot i Århus. Regentparret ankommer med den kongelige togvogn til Århus Banegård den 21. december om morgenen og ventes at blive i Århus til den 30. december, hvor dronningen skal tilbage til København for at forberede nytårstalen til dagen efter. Kronprins Frederik og kronprinsesse Mary kommer også til juleaften på Marselisborg. Ifølge hoffets pressechef Lis Frederiksen er det endnu ikke besluttet, hvor længe de unge bliver på det århusianske slot.
(something about where everyone is spending Christmas)

paulette said:
would someone please translate what the statement below means:

Polfoto 09-12-2004 Arkiv - Den forestående skilsmisse mellem prins Joachim og prinsesse Alexandra ændrer ikke på juletraditionerne i den kongelige familie. Parret og deres to sønner, prins Nikolai og prins Felix, samles med den øvrige familie til juleaften på Marselisborg Slot i Århus. Regentparret ankommer med den kongelige togvogn til Århus Banegård den 21. december om morgenen og ventes at blive i Århus til den 30. december, hvor dronningen skal tilbage til København for at forberede nytårstalen til dagen efter. Kronprins Frederik og kronprinsesse Mary kommer også til juleaften på Marselisborg. Ifølge hoffets pressechef Lis Frederiksen er det endnu ikke besluttet, hvor længe de unge bliver på det århusianske slot.
(something about where everyone is spending Christmas)
The upcoming divorce between Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra doesn't change the christmas traditions in the roayl family. The couple and their two sons Nikolai and Felix will gather along with the rest of the family for Christmas eve at Marselisborg Castle in Århus. The queen and prince will arrive at Århus on the 21. dec. and stay till the 30. dec. where the queen is expected back in Copenhagen for the queens newyear speech the day after. Crownprince Frederik and crownprincess Mary will also be at Marselisborg christmas eve. It hasn't been decided for how long they will stay.

Josefine said:
when can this have been
Here is the caption that goes along with the pics (doesn't explain where the pic was taken though)

According to the Danish Danish Palace and Information Chief Lis M Frederiksen, Queen Margrethe has declared that PRINS JOACHIM and ALEXANDRA are celebrating Christmas together with the Royal family at the Marselisborg Castle on Jytland Denmark.
The Queen wants more other Danish divorced families to celebrate Christmas together.

pdas1201 said:
The Queen wants more other Danish divorced families to celebrate Christmas together.
She's obviously had no divorce experience or she would not say such a thing.
icon12.gif
Good intention but bad judgement.

Last edited:
Lori wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdas1201

icon12.gif

--------------------------------------------------------

Noone really knows, what the Queens intentions are - this is pure speculations by journalists. The Queen has not made any interviews since returning from Japan, and Lis Frederiksen is only quoted for confirming, that both Alexandra and Joachim will spend christmas at Marselisborg.

I think the christmas arrangement is a joint wish from both Alexandra and Joachim - both to spend the first christmas after the seperation with their children. Of course Alexandra needed an invitation to go to Marselisborg, and I'm sure the Queen also appreciates the couple both being with their children at christmas :) (and this is pure speculations on my account ;) )

Chatleen said:
Lori wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdas1201

icon12.gif
I don't think that Her Majesty meant to sound silly. What she was most likely trying to convey is that she wishes that more individuals who were divorced and who have children would learn to put their differences aside as adults and try to do things that would benefit their children. I think that most people who are divorced could really behave better. Sometimes you have to move on and be an adult and learn to go on with your life and be civil, especially when children are involved. I know that some divorces are very better, but too many adults behave like children during the process when they need to be adults for the real children.

Isabel said:
I don't think that Her Majesty meant to sound silly. What she was most likely trying to convey is that she wishes that more individuals who were divorced and who have children would learn to put their differences aside as adults and try to do things that would benefit their children. I think that most people who are divorced could really behave better. Sometimes you have to move on and be an adult and learn to go on with your life and be civil, especially when children are involved. I know that some divorces are very better, but too many adults behave like children during the process when they need to be adults for the real children.
No, the Queen didn't mean to sound silly, because she never said anything on this matter. This is made up by a journalist.

:)

Sorry for the mistake of the statement of queen, the "journalist" who fibracated the fact should not be called jounalist, I'm sure we can find other words for him/her.

She is just really beautiful on that attire.

I just hope that this coming Christmas, the whole Danish Royal Family would pose for a christmas family picture with Princess Alexandra and the 2 boys. That would really be lovely.

Isabel said:
I absolutely agree with you. Too many adults acting like spoiled brats. Buck up I say! If you're divored, deal with it & act like a responsible adult for a change.

Here you go. It´s a classic. I like that Joachim is wearing a suit. It always makes him look so tall and lean.

Attachments

• 259518_large.jpg
    259518_large.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 902
pdas1201 said:
I am sure they are on good terms even though their marriage has disintegrated. One just has to look at the pics, they seem like the best of friends. That was one of the reasons I found the news of their divorce to be false when it first came out.
I'm also sure they are on good terms, but unlike you I find it is very painful to watch the subtle messages of these two. I don't see the friendliness, only indifference and politeness. They don't look at each other anymore, the glance from eye corner says thousand words. Boy, there is a distance even though they stand together, why not move on?

Dennism said:
Here you go.
Thanks Dennism for reposting it. With the assistance of others, I finally found Fred, and twigged to the lady beside Henrik. ;)

J and A on cool terms

I agree with Lori. For a long time, they haven´t really looked at one another-not in the way they used to. If you see the way Joachim looked at Alex in the engagement photos, these recent pictures are heart-breaking. Sure, feelings change after a few years of marriage, but the body language of the 2 now are like they are colleagues, not spouses.
I hope they try to be warmer to one another when with the kids.

I don't believe that warmth is a requirement for the sake of it kids, it's civility. Having a warm relationship with a former spouse is ideal but usually not realistic. Even for the sake of the kids, I'm sure it's difficult to be around your ex-spouse especially if there are extenuating circumstances to the collapse of your marriage. What these two are doing now is fine for the situation at hand.

Man, if it turns out to be true that the marriage collapsed do to a third person on Joachim's side, Alex is showing an exterme amount of civility towards her husband. I'd have a very difficult time just looking at him at all.

I think the picture of Princess Alex there with Queen Margrethe II is not a recent one. I think that was from the previous years. If one would observe Alex's haircolor and hairstyle, it's different.

I hope the palace would release new official photos of the DRF. It would really be nice.

paulette said:
I think the picture of Princess Alex there with Queen Margrethe II is not a recent one. I think that was from the previous years. If one would observe Alex's haircolor and hairstyle, it's different.
I think it is from at least two years ago if not more.

The occasion is one of Queen Margrethe's birthday appearances on the balcony and the outfit worn by Alexandra is an outfit she wore during her pregnancy -- can't remember if it was with Nikolai or Felix though -- could also be both of them.

Alexandria said:
I think it is from at least two years ago if not more.

The occasion is one of Queen Margrethe's birthday appearances on the balcony and the outfit worn by Alexandra is an outfit she wore during her pregnancy -- can't remember if it was with Nikolai or Felix though -- could also be both of them.
i think it's when she's pregnant with Prince Nikolai....

I hope next year that there would be some royal changes regarding the schedules of both Princess Mary and Alexandra. I think both the two should also appear on some activities together not just during masses, birthdays or funerals of some important persons.

I think it would really be great if both of them combine forces sometimes.

(from GREMB)

The Queen, CP Frederik & Mary plus Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra and Prince Nicolai were attending Mass:

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 997
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,048
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 973
Back
Top Bottom