Danish Royal Family at the Olympic Games 2004, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chatleen

Nobility
Danish Royals at the 2004 Athens Olympics

Article from Berlingske Tidende:

De royale indtager Athen

Af Marco de los Reyes

Allerede på torsdag kommer Kronprinseparret Frederik og Mary til OL-byen, hvor de vil være under næsten hele OL.

ATHEN
Det kan godt være, at Joachim B. Olsen, Camilla Martin, Kristine Andersen med mange flere er kendte sportsfolk, som vil nyde nationens opmærksomhed i den kommende tid. Men det kan meget vel ende med, at de danske OL-deltagere - i hvert fald for en periode - alligevel må nøjes med en plads i anden række.
Fra og med på torsdag får Athen nemlig også besøg af den danske, royale familie med Kronprinseparret i spidsen. For nylig var de på rundrejse i Danmark, og den tur viste, at der i øjeblikket næppe er nogen danskere, der kommer i nærheden af den popularitet, som Frederik og Mary nyder.

De to indleder den danske kongefamilies visit i OL-byen, og de vil i første omgang være i den græske hovedstad fra torsdag og helt frem til fredag i næste uge. Derefter er de væk et par dage for at komme tilbage og blive i OLs sidste uge - frem til afslutningsceremonien den 29. august.

Derudover kommer Prins Joachim - alene - til Athen fra den 13. til 19. august, mens regentparret Dronning Margrethe og Prins Henrik vil være i OL-land fra 24. til 30. september.

Som de sidste kommer Prinsesse Benedikte og hendes datter Nathalie på besøg fra den 20. til 25. august.

Endnu er det ikke officielt, hvad de skal se hernede, men som Morten Mølholm Hansen, kommunikationschef i Danmarks Idræts-Forbund siger:

»Så kunne man godt forestille sig, at Benedikte, Nathalie og Mary skal se ridning, mens Frederik nok skal se sejlsport.«

Derudover kommer de til at se meget andet, og de kommer alle også til at besøge de danske OL-deltagere, som skal klare sig rigtigt godt, hvis de skal »stjæle« opmærksomheden fra kongefamilien og ikke mindst dens australske islæt.
Summary:

Mary and Frederik will arrive in Athens Thursday this week, and will stay there until Friday next week. Than they will leave for a couple of days, but will return to stay in Athens during the last week of the OL, until August 29th.

Prince Joachim will stay in Athens from August 13th til August 19th.

The article says, that the Queen and Henrik will be there September 24th-30th, but it is most likely August.

Princess Benedikte and her daughter Nathalie will attend OL August 20th-25th.

It is not yet official, which competitions the royals will attend.

Last edited by a moderator:
how come Princess Alexandra is not going does anyone know?
haven't seen her in public for a while now...

bigheadshirmp said:
how come Princess Alexandra is not going does anyone know?
haven't seen her in public for a while now...
She were in China accompanying a Danish girl Choir for a large part of July. There haven't been much online-pictures from the journey, though.

I think, she stays at home to be with the children. In the Costume interview (there is a translationof that in this forum) she told, that her and Joachim always tries to plan things, so that of them can stay at home with the children.

Chatleen said:
She were in China accompanying a Danish girl Choir for a large part of July. There haven't been much online-pictures from the journey, though.

I think, she stays at home to be with the children. In the Costume interview (there is a translationof that in this forum) she told, that her and Joachim always tries to plan things, so that of them can stay at home with the children.

hmm interesting but I'm not so sure that's good for a marriage.

I haven't noticed them having any problems in their marriage.

Me neither. I guess, when you have small children, you sometimes need to put their needs above your own :)

Angel S. said:
hmm interesting but I'm not so sure that's good for a marriage.

Joachim seems to stay in Denmark mostly with very few trips out of the country. I think that running Schakenborg keeps him in Denmark most of the time. And as much as Alexandra seems to travel a lot, I think it really is more of a matter that when she does travel outside of Denmark images of such trips saturate the press, so it seems that she travels a lot more than she does. So I don't think that Alexandra is out of the country that much that she would hardly be seeing Joachim at all.

And who says that married couples need to spend every single day and evening together? In many relationships one parter or both partners travel extensively for their jobs or for pleasure or whatever, and that doesn't mean that there are marriage problems. Couples who spend every single day and night together aren't necessarily the most happy couples either.

The princess is going to Athens I think with Prince Joachim but the date wasn't given and is not yet specific. Princess Alexandra does a lot of things for the benefit of Denmark. She also attended the Euro Finals in Portugal.

The couple are also busy because of the concert in Schackenborg Palace. They need to see also the things there.

Alexandria said:
Joachim seems to stay in Denmark mostly with very few trips out of the country. I think that running Schakenborg keeps him in Denmark most of the time. And as much as Alexandra seems to travel a lot, I think it really is more of a matter that when she does travel outside of Denmark images of such trips saturate the press, so it seems that she travels a lot more than she does. So I don't think that Alexandra is out of the country that much that she would hardly be seeing Joachim at all.

And who says that married couples need to spend every single day and evening together? In many relationships one parter or both partners travel extensively for their jobs or for pleasure or whatever, and that doesn't mean that there are marriage problems. Couples who spend every single day and night together aren't necessarily the most happy couples either.

Oh I'm not saying they have problems but I just hope they don't have to spend too much time apart that's all. And yes some time apart is good for everyone. I for one travel without the hubby often but it's usually a week or 2 at most.

Chatleen said:
Me neither. I guess, when you have small children, you sometimes need to put their needs above your own :)

I agree but I was just thinking it would be nice for them to have gone as a family. Besides they have nannies that can go with them to care for the children in case they get a bit busy.

I just haven't seen them together much in the news & the impression I have gotten is that they hardly ever go to events together.

paulette said:
The princess is going to Athens I think with Prince Joachim but the date wasn't given and is not yet specific. Princess Alexandra does a lot of things for the benefit of Denmark. She also attended the Euro Finals in Portugal.

The couple are also busy because of the concert in Schackenborg Palace. They need to see also the things there.

ah I see, I didn't know that, when is the concert?

I certainly see your point Angel S. Too much time apart can severely hurt a marriage, look at Albert and Paola for example.

With engagements that can take them far away from each other and small children, couple sometimes need to "work" extra hard to keep the fire burning...That definetely includes utilizing the nannies! :)

Danish Royal Family at the Olympic Games

Links to some Aussie TV clips showing Fred and Mary in Athens and during the Opening Ceremony:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/MediaPopup.aspx?MediaID=4148

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/MediaPopup.aspx?MediaID=4146 :) :)

You can hear the Australian commentator saying "Ah there she is, our beautiful Princess Mary..."

gudinde from CP Mary MB posted this there first, but this is what the commentators went on to say:
"Ooh, there she is - our beautiful Princess Mary, and Prince
Frederik... very exciting. We feel like we're part Danish now,
don't we...they look wonderful...very good womens handball
team...strong in badminton"
:)

(n.b. after you click on the links, the vid will come on though it may take some time to download if you're using dial up...:))

Last edited:
I saw Mary and Frederik on TV for the Olympics Opening Ceremonies. The CBC cameras panned over them as the Danish athletes were marching into the stadium. Did anyone see the people that looked like statues in that "parade" of Greek history? That was fabulous, wasn't it? Oh, if you remember the girls that were blue and had skirts that looked like the sea, didn't they look like Mary?

moosey60 said:
I saw Mary and Frederik on TV for the Olympics Opening Ceremonies. The CBC cameras panned over them as the Danish athletes were marching into the stadium.

I think almost everyone in the world saw the same images coz we used Greek TV images (though I think the USA might have had something different). In Australia, they showed Fred and Mary when the Danes came out too, and then the showed them agin, when Fred said something and Mary bent down to get it (someone suggested that Fred reminded her about the camera). Who knows, if she hadn't bent down, we could have had a longer look at them!!

But they looked really good! Really happy! but everyone in that stadium looked happy! Well done to the Greeks!

in the olympics... mary seems to be tired...

** The reason the link has been removed is because the link is no longer of HRH the Crown Princess. It's of another who knows who couple kissing**

Jasl said:
You can hear the Australian commentator saying "Ah there she is, our beautiful Princess Mary..."

true... how funny... :) was that a video of an australian tv or from a danish tv?

carlota said:
true... how funny... :) was that a video of an australian tv or from a danish tv?

It was on Australian TV with Australian commentators. After the badminton comment, the male commentator started talking about relevant (i.e. sports related) stuff, and then the camera panned back to F & M, and the female grabbed the opportunity to say something about F&M meeting at the Olypmics ... reckon she wouldn't have minded talking about it some more but they had already completely missed the country following Denmark so they had to get back on track....:) :)

Of course all of this happened in, like 15 seconds.. haha!

Perhaps a bit more subdued compared to the Opening but otherwise alright (the Opening did end pretty late... I remember in Sydney, there was the Opening Ceremony, but the serious business started AFTER the opening!! it was sooooo mad!!! so if they partied late - and if they're normal, they would have - then that would explain the tiredness).

And notice her top - green (Australia's sporting colours are green and gold, so hope she wears red and white next), and his shirt: colours of the Dannebrog - very good Fred, very good!

Did anyone see the new pics from Corbis? Here they are:

www.corbis.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/Jasl-Marie/FMAthens.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/Jasl-Marie/FMAthens2.jpg

Some more excellent pics from the Opening Ceremony (where you can see clearly that Mary wore the same clothes she wore to one of the Fashion Fair shows)... thanks to mayflower and potter from CP Mary MB

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/mayfleur/96baffa3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/mayfleur/e0033693.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/mayfleur/ca19e2f6.jpg

And Chatleen recounts what some Danish athletes said about the Opening Ceremony (and seeing Fred and Mary cheer them on)... umm, you better ask Chatleen herself ... LOL!

i didn't see her wearing those clothes in the fashion shows... can you please post an image?

I find it a bit refreshing when Princesses wear the same outfit more than once. Everyone else does, why shouldn't they? My only exception to this rule is gala gowns- then, being royalty and having more money than me, I want them to go all out and show me something different everytime.

Chatleen.. you have a story to tell us???

Jasl said:
Some more excellent pics from the Opening Ceremony (where you can see clearly that Mary wore the same clothes she wore to one of the Fashion Fair shows)... thanks to mayflower and potter from CP Mary MB

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/mayfleur/96baffa3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/mayfleur/e0033693.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/mayfleur/ca19e2f6.jpg

And Chatleen recounts what some Danish athletes said about the Opening Ceremony (and seeing Fred and Mary cheer them on)... umm, you better ask Chatleen herself ... LOL!

Fred And Mary Watching The Game

Fred ,mary And Joakim

But I Didnt See Alexandra~

Attachments

• lux.jpg
    lux.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 612
  • lux1.jpg
    lux1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 753
  • lux2.jpg
    lux2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 843
  • lux.jpg
    lux.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 477
  • lux1.jpg
    lux1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 528
  • lux2.jpg
    lux2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 550
  • lux.jpg
    lux.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 731
  • lux.jpg
    lux.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 577
  • lux1.jpg
    lux1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 669
  • lux2.jpg
    lux2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 519
paulette said:
The princess is going to Athens I think with Prince Joachim but the date wasn't given and is not yet specific.

Sorry I don't think that's right. Princess Alexandra isn't going to Athens and it hasn't been reported anywhere that she is going to Athens. In any case Joachim is going home soon (next week? for some reason I keep thinking either the 20th or 24th...)

Thank you for posting those pictures.

I wonder what event they were watching. Whatever it was, it must have been pretty funny judging from the photos. =)

We've watched all the clips on TV with the Danish Royal family :D And it was great that they showed them during the opening ceremoni!

Here's a pic from when Frederik and Mary watched the swimming finals on Monday:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/onlylucky/thumb7.jpg (thanks to onlylucky from the CP Mary Messageboard for this pic :))

F did well in marrying her, and she has fulfilled her position well, so far.

i think it's quite soon to judge her as crown princess of denmark... maybe we'll have to wait a bit more...

Well Bubbette said "she has fulfilled her position well, so far"

I agree, "So Far" she has done extremely well, IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom