Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now, I don't see a need for members to state "that you all don't have any sense of fashion" or "Mary as a dowdy housewife." First, lets not generalize, if you don't agree with a statement, please don't categorize everyone in a lump saying they have no idea about fashion, for fashion is a very relative thing, what you may like doesn't have to be favored by everyone. Secondly, stating "Mary looks like a dowdy housewife" could be stated a little subtely, using harsh words will only force members to retaliate forcefully and lead to a verbal war, yet again, on the forum--which none of us want.

Noelle9982 said:
I don't know about any of you, but I've never seen a "doudy housewife" that looks like she does.

Actually I had a very lovely, very old and slightly chubby great-aunt (grand-aunt?) who had an enormous dress made of a fabric very similar to the one of Mary's dress. The similarities stopped with the dress, however.

Smilla said:
Actually I had a very lovely, very old and slightly chubby great-aunt (grand-aunt?) who had an enormous dress made of a fabric very similar to the one of Mary's dress. The similarities stopped with the dress, however.

what? your great aunt doesnt have a mary bee-hive 'do?:D

fromEU said:
You people don't seem to have any sence about what this occasion is. This event has nothing to do with being "wow" or being smart or fashionable. It is a formal reception for diplomats and ambasadors from different countries and cultures around the world to greet the Queen. The different diplomats show up in thier national dresses if they have any and the Royal family tries to show a little formality and regalness instead. Imagine showing too much skin or being too sexy when greeting an ambassadors from the middel east:) This is not a show for you.
Exactly :) What Mary has worn these two past days are not to be seen as ordinary dresses - they are 'kurkjoler' - like a uniform. As such I think the old-fashioned - and that term is not meant negatively - is very appropriate. I think that these 'kurkjoler' will reappear in years to come at these events, just like QMII's sometimes do - which is fine and sensible.

pollyemma said:
what? your great aunt doesnt have a mary bee-hive 'do?:D

Sadly no. She didn't have a lot of hair left, but apart from that she looked a bit like the ladies in the Gary Larson cartoons. And believe me, she chose the most daring, shiniest fabrics for her gowns. Looking at some of her huge dresses actually could make you feel seasick.

H.M. Margrethe said:
It is not a painting with paint,but a tapestry.
If my memory is rigth they receivede it as a present when they had their silver anniversary from the town council in Copenhagen.
It's actually a gift for Queen Margrethe for her 50 birthday in 1990. The gift was from Danish trade and industry and the tapestries are designed by Danish artist Bjørn Nørgaard and show the world history and Danish history. The tapestries were made in France and were ready in 2000.
Here is a link to some information about the tapestries: http://www.ses.dk/397a55f0
At this link - http://bjoernnoergaard.dk/gobeliner/ - which is only in Danish, you can see the individual tapestries by placing the cursor on the individual time period designations.

UserDane said:

I think that these 'kurkjoler' will reappear in years to come at these events

oh please no....

pollyemma said:
oh please no....
Why not? The men's uniforms reappear. Try not to look at them as ordinary dresses. They are not meant to be considered as such. FromEU explained it spot on.

I do agree with those that the occasion didn't call for a fashoin statement and that too much skin would be offensive to some rather than pleasing. But still I believe that one can still be very formally dressed and have the wow effect as in wow being elegant, suitable to role, age and occasion. And that IMO opinion has not been achieved at these last two occasions.

But even the most flawless pic the wrong robe at times ( look at Caroline of Hanover at the last Monaco National Holiday and you will know what I mean). Maybe these were her two bad taste days of the year and we will see better dresses next time.

UserDane said:

Why not? The men's uniforms reappear. Try not to look at them as ordinary dresses. They are not meant to be considered as such. FromEU explained it spot on.

I strongly support rewearing beautiful clothes very often. I also strongly support donating ugly clothes to your local goodwill.

At first I wasn't sure about the outfit, but I think some of the pictures (due to flashes) didn't do her justice. I can understand why some people think it looks like a housecoat, but upon closer examination I now think it's quite classy and well-coordinated. I think it suits the occasion and can easily be recycled in the future with different coloured dresses underneath. I suspect a lot of thought went into the planning of this outfit to ensure an elegant, yet appropriate outfit that reflects the importance and traditions of this event.

This argument is really a battle that isn't going to be won.

Some people refuse to think these two dresses are anything but ugly and frumpy and others (myself included) won't stop thinking Mary picked these gowns because of their formality.

Maybe we should all just move on?????

Formality has nothing to do with it. You can still have the princess formal look and be elegant and up to date. The first dress was so so. The color was divine. I loved it. But, it was way to tight on her stomach. I think that dress was made for her pre-pregnancy figure. She needs to resize it to her much healthier figure. I think the dress just needs to be recycled and altered a little and you got a gorgeous dress. The hair sucks. Plain and simple. Really bad. I love the jewels but they did not work for Mary with the blue dress. I also felt the order was worn a bit sloppy. Alexandra had it on nice but for Mary it looked like an oversized ghetto necklace. The second outfit. Well, her worst one yet. No more to say. I also really like the tapestry. It is really cool and unique.

Princejonnhy25 said:
Formality has nothing to do with it. You can still have the princess formal look and be elegant and up to date. The first dress was so so. The color was divine. I loved it. But, it was way to tight on her stomach. I think that dress was made for her pre-pregnancy figure. She needs to resize it to her much healthier figure. I think the dress just needs to be recycled and altered a little and you got a gorgeous dress. The hair sucks. Plain and simple. Really bad. I love the jewels but they did not work for Mary with the blue dress. I also felt the order was worn a bit sloppy. Alexandra had it on nice but for Mary it looked like an oversized ghetto necklace. The second outfit. Well, her worst one yet. No more to say. I also really like the tapestry. It is really cool and unique.

well said! i dun think Mary or any of the princesses just choose sth to wear just because it looks formal (maybe in some occasions u need to dress formally) BUT the thing is that you can always choose something that's fashionable, elegant and formal (all in one dress!)
it's not like she needs to choose that dress because someone MAKE YOU to rite? I also think that the princesses (especially CPs) have LOTS and if not more TONS of choices in these kinda of dresses, they dun need to stick to the ONLY ONE choice!:)

Keep in mind she probably has very little say in what she wears. She gets the last word, yes, but a team of stylists are to blame/praise when it comes to any celebrity looking bad/good.

bigheadshirmp said:
BUT the thing is that you can always choose something that's fashionable, elegant and formal (all in one dress!)
it's not like she needs to choose that dress because someone MAKE YOU to rite?

I couldnt agree more. Many royal women have demonstrated many times that you can wear a 'uniform'-like modest formal dress that is entirely appropriate for this type of event but is still look elegant and beautiful-these things are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited by a moderator:
pollyemma said:
I couldnt agree more. Many royal women have demonstrated many times that you can wear a 'uniform'-like modest formal dress that is entirely appropriate for this type of event but is still look elegant and beautiful-these things are not mutually exclusive.

I'm afraid I have to agree. I didn't like Mary's dresses that much, especially the second one. I'm not a big fan of that print, I think. The first dress was surrounded by a sort of medieval air, which can be really nice, but it just isn't my style. I'm sure Mary can look more stylish, even when you have to look formal for a occasion like this. But hey, I'm really in love with that tiara of the ruby parure! Wish I had something like that, I would wear it the whole day, inside the house ofcourse. I wouldn't want people to chase me down the street trying to get a hold of it! ;)

There is no need to make excuses for Mary. The dress is not that nice. The design is kinda pretty but the colors butcher it completely. It looks like a flamboyent cheetah was killed to make that outfit. Im sorry, there are much more elegant and fashionable ways to dress like a grandeur princess then what Mary wore. The first dress was so so and she kinda got away with it but this is just wrong. The whole "uniform" explanation doesnt cut it. Federick and Henrik wore uniforms and they look dashing. Im sure Mary could wear a elegant"uniform" and look good in it. Is she wearing the family order for the first time? Will she wear a gala dress to her own Charity Cours? Was the new year event the only tiara event? Also, who was being honored at this event? Does anybody have a guest list or a programme?

pollyemma said:
I strongly support rewearing beautiful clothes very often. I also strongly support donating ugly clothes to your local goodwill.

Haha! Ten cool points for pollyemma!

Seriously, the dress she wore to this reception (the gold/brown thing) is terrible!:eek: She can do much better and we've seen the proof from the past. The formal attire requirement only gives her MORE options because there are so many pretty dresses out there. There's not much of an excuse for this one. Her hair is nice though. I much prefer the look she had in the blue dress from a few days ago.

I am not a big fan of either dress. Although the color and pattern of the second one was very interesting, I think that it would have made a better dress than jacket. Maybe these types of dresses are in style and I'm just missing it.

The color of Mary's first dress was gorgeous, but the dress was a bit matronly. I'm really just "meh" about the second outfit. I don't love it, but I don't think it's terrible. The ruby parue is a wonderful set. I thought Alexandra's dress for the January 1st Court was gorgeous, although I'm surprised she'd recycle her 2004 dress for the same occasion.

Little_star said:
"another reception another housecoat."

LOL!:D

When Mary's event happens, on the fifth of this month, she'll go all out by shoving the housecoat to the back of her closet and break out the amazing dresses she's known for wearing. Or not.

Let's mix this discussion up a bit: I'll bet Mary will wear yet another housecoat, hair in a giant beehive do, simple make-up, and black shoes for her own kur. Anyone else think so?

:)

The Queen and CP Mary, perfect candidates for the show "What NOT to wear..." My God what happened? I'm telling you, the style of the Queen is rubbing off on our Mary...horrible, horrible. Also, how tall is Mary's husband? He looks terribly short...

this is a picture of Mary I found at Diez Minutos:

You know what. After looking at MUCH MUCH better pics of Mary at these events I have changed my opinion somewhat. The first dress was actually quite gorgeous. It was a bit tight and matronaly but very beautifull. Im still iffy on the second dress. Colors were horrible. Just isnt working out for me.

Princejonnhy25 said:
You know what. After looking at MUCH MUCH better pics of Mary at these events I have changed my opinion somewhat. The first dress was actually quite gorgeous. It was a bit tight and matronaly but very beautifull. Im still iffy on the second dress. Colors were horrible. Just isnt working out for me.

I have to agree. I've been browsing some pictures too and I think the first dress wasn't that horrible, though I still think the cut looks matronly on Mary. The color was gorgeous, though.
But the second dress... no I'll stick to my first impression... :(

Hopefully we don't get to see another of pollyemma's housecoats on Mary's own kur, I keep my hopes up high... Mary is a very fashionably lady!

kwanfan said:
The color of Mary's first dress was gorgeous, but the dress was a bit matronly. I'm really just "meh" about the second outfit. I don't love it, but I don't think it's terrible. The ruby parue is a wonderful set. I thought Alexandra's dress for the January 1st Court was gorgeous, although I'm surprised she'd recycle her 2004 dress for the same occasion.

Couldn't agree more!

But what was up with the hair styles? Esp. on the Jan. 1st event, it looked like Mary and Alexandra used the same hair stylist?!

You know, it really is strange that Princess Alexandra used the same dress for the same event two years in a row. How much do these dresses cost, anyway? Even in my modest family, for instance, the women would not wear the same dress to two family weddings in a row. If she had a different (lesser) character, I would guess that she is trying to make a point. But I'm a real believer in her character.

Her day clothes are also recycled to a strange degree. She has a beautiful figure, she really doesn't need terribly expensive clothes to look good or to look royal. I'm surprised and curious.

Roxsteve said:
The Queen and CP Mary, perfect candidates for the show "What NOT to wear..." My God what happened? I'm telling you, the style of the Queen is rubbing off on our Mary...horrible, horrible. Also, how tall is Mary's husband? He looks terribly short...

Mary's husband, I believe, is around 5'8" or 5'9". If anyone has his correct height please let us know.:)

It is obvious that Mary's husband is not 6ft or above like Joachim. The reason why Fred looks so short (from what I believe) may be due to his long torso. People with long torso's typically have very short legs; as a result he looks short.

Back
Top Bottom