Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know how it is in Copenhagen and Malmö right now, but here in Jutland the wind has calmed down.

Anyway, in 2½ hours after this is posted the DRF will begin to arrive for the Grand New Year Court tonight.
DR1 will send live from 18.25, after the Prime Minister has delivered his New Year speech at 18.00.

You can already now test whether you are able to see anything outside DK by looking here: https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1

If not keep an eye on BB's site, they are almost certainly also to send live, albeit only from one camera angle and most likely only from the outside.

Let's go through the show for newbies.
Tonight is for the absolute top of the state apparatus.
Government ministers (but not their spouses. The PM's wife will host an event for the spouses at the PM's official residence at Marienborg Manor.), the Chairman of the Parliament, Supreme Court President, the head of the police and so on.
The DRF will as usual arrive in reverse order of rank. Beginning with Benedikte if she attends, then Nikolai with J&M (if Nikolai attends. that'll be interesting.) followed by M&F and finally QMII.
Once inside those in uniform will take off their headgear at once. (Frederik is a navy man, and as we all know those from the navy are basically uncouth ruffians. Joachim is from the army, where things are done correctly, so he will naturally remove his headgear at once.)
Joachim and Frederik will in turn formally take charge of the guardsmen and guards hussars present and as such inspect the honor guard. That's why Mary and our Marie will stay back.
Having done that they will go upstairs.

Finally QMII will arrive. She too, as the formal commander in chief, will inspect the honor guard. You will notice that she will nod in front of the colour before inspecting the honor guard.

When the DRF are gathered upstairs, the guests will in turn greet the DRF before moving on to the taffel (Taffel = an elaborately laid table for a festive occasion.) Hence why this entire event is also referred to as a New Year Taffel here in DK.
At some point QMII will give a speech welcoming the guests and thanking them for their service. And here, the only time of the year, QMII will curtsy to the guests as a sign of her respect for the democracy.

These New Year Courts - should really be called New Year Courting in English.
The word is "kur" in Scandinavian and German.
And the custom in its present form goes back to at least the 1600s, (a source from the 1600s referred to this as "being an old custom") more likely to the beginning of the 1500s.
It was customary back then that you after New Year visited friends, benefactors, family, business associates, customers and so on to wish a Happy New Year and cement your liaisons as well as showing your respect.
The highest ranking and most important people were visited first.

So tonight the absolute top in the Danish state apparatus are going on "kur" to the DRF, to show their respect. And that is appreciated and acknowledged by QMII showing her respect for them in return.

Last edited:
What a pity that Princess Benedikte is not on the list for the New Year Court.

If you have Apple TV, the DR network has an app on which you can watch all of this live on your television set rather than on the Internet via a desktop computer or laptop.

Mary is wearing her Diamond & Ruby Necklace Tiara! This is the first time she hasn't worn the Parure Tiara!

I’m also surprised that she isn’t wearing the ruby tiara.
She looks great, as did Marie!

All three Royal ladies look beautiful tonight !

I don't understand how the Danish Ladies in Evening dresses gave large inerviews in cold and windy Weather.
Blitz Entrance for the Queen , Crown Princes , Princes because it was sold and windy weather.

Mary is wearing her Diamond & Ruby Necklace Tiara! This is the first time she hasn't worn the Parure Tiara!

I was hoping she'd wear a different one tonight.

The Queen looks radiant also.

Yeah I though all three looked lovely and it did look windy in Copenhagen.

People were speculating about Nikolai above. Does his non attendance show he's never going to have to attend in the future as his cousins grow up so why start going now or just because he wasn't around?

Yeah I though all three looked lovely and it did look windy in Copenhagen.

People were speculating about Nikolai above. Does his non attendance show he's never going to have to attend in the future as his cousins grow up so why start going now or just because he wasn't around?

I wouldn't necessarily think so. We do know Elisabeth attended for many years until her death. Perhaps Nikolai will begin to attend when he's older, or maybe after Margrethe passes? Hard to say, I think. I, personally, doubt he will ever attend this particular event, but I'm happy to be proven wrong, lol.

I don't understand how the Danish Ladies in Evening dresses gave large inerviews in cold and windy Weather.
Blitz Entrance for the Queen , Crown Princes , Princes because it was sold and windy weather.

They were mainly politicians, They would give an interview starkravers in a snowstorm!

The DRF are royals, they don't diminish the occasion by stopping up and answer questions. And in anyway it would ruin the finely tuned schedule.
If M&F were taking questions the car with QMII would pull up behind them, with QMII inside tapping her fingers. ?
As it is, it's difficult enough to get the politicians out of the way before the royals arrive!

A BT gallery: https://www.bt.dk/royale/dronning-og-ministre-var-klaedt-i-farverige-kjoler

A gallery from Berlingske: https://www.berlingske.dk/nyheder/dronningen-afholder-nytaarskur-og-taffel-i-christian-viis-palae

Last edited by a moderator:
All the blah blah about the female politians' dresses! You'd think they were attending the premiere of a new James Bond :lol:

I guess most Danes watch this in PJ trousers with a hangover that's finally lifting, lounging on the sofa with a slice of pizza within reach. I know I'd be :whistling:

Thank you Muhler!:flowers: I just can not really understand how all the ladies do not have a coat or a shall, it looks so dam cold!

Oh, they are just outside for a few minutes - the least talkative of them that is...

The weather is pretty mild these days anyway and it's only the first weeks of winter that are worst, after that you get used to it. ;)

Is the Danish prime minister wearing a foreign order ? It looks like the Belgian order of the Crown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Danish prime minister wearing a foreign order ? It looks like the Belgian order of the Crown.

That's exactly what it is.

Can't say why. Perhaps it's the highest order of those he has?

Last edited:
Ah, it's that time of year again!
I always look forward into seeing the family in their gowns though I think we've had some better years, fashion-wise, than this year. Glad to see that the weather didn't affect the event and the family and guests were able to use the front entrance.

I liked the arrival of Prince Joachim and Princess Marie. You could observe the wind because of how much the plume of Joachim's hat fluttered.

Strange to say, Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim were much better dressed than their wives.

Last edited:
Fred and Joachim look divine in their uniforms. I see the Desiree Ruby set is tucked up in bed at home this year as CP Mary wears her new ruby and diamond antique set.

I just love the fact the Danish Royals give the photographers a really good chance to get their photos before the lenses freeze up. Over all the New Years Court gala's over the next few days this is a wonderful way to kick off the New Year. Lots of glamour and bling. I just love it. Thank you Denmark.

A Prime Minister of Denmark wearing a Belgian Sash seems strange. (He likes to speak to the Press , the next guest had to wait in his car ) .
It remember me King Albert II asking before going to Denmark if the Elefant is to be seen front or back?

Back
Top Bottom