Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great answers to the very ignorant post about the uniforms. But please...there are women cadets too. US military academies all include women and as of very recently they can now qualify to serve in all military posts, no exceptions.

It seems Queen Margrethe has one female aide-de-camp. Here she poses with her "Adjudantstab": picture. So to see two aides-de-camp from each Armed Forces service, led by a Chef and a deputy.

I have seen female Aides-de-Camp at other Royal Houses as well. See the Netherlands (picture) or the UK, where The Princess Royal herself, having the Gold Stick, is an Aide-de-Camp par excellence... (picture).

It seems Queen Margrethe has one female aide-de-camp. Here she poses with her "Adjudantstab": picture. So to see two aides-de-camp from each Armed Forces service, led by a Chef and a deputy.

I have seen female Aides-de-Camp at other Royal Houses as well. See the Netherlands (picture) or the UK, where The Princess Royal herself, having the Gold Stick, is an Aide-de-Camp par excellence... (picture).

That's the first female adjutant I have seen.

The Queen's Staff of Adjutant are also used by the rest of the DRF. So M&F and J&M do not have a particular adjutant attached, that depends on who is available.

Just like the LiWs, the adjutants dine with the Regent Couple when on travels or at Chateau Cayz.

Adjutants, just like serving officers of Guards Battalion of the Royal Lifeguard Regiment are also supposed to have a presentable spouse as they are sometimes required to dine at gala dinners or simply to fill a seat that is vacant due to some excusing themselves from a dinner because of say illness.

In contrast to other monarchies the Danish adjutants or not transferred for a period from their parent unit, they apply for the position as adjutants and many stay for quite a few years in that position.
And for some it's a cozy little posting before retirement. - Others, who are younger, may see this as an opportunity to have a future career within the court as say Master of Ceremonies.

And my dear Duc et Pair, not a stick! :eek: A baton. - Otherwise an aide de camp might be tempted to brake his/her baton on your head to demonstrate that it is certainly not a stick. :p

Last edited:
I take it you feel the same way about the uniforms worn by the various US Army special ceremonial units. Oh, and the West Point cadets' spring parade uniform: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/West_Point_Cadets.png

These uniforms are all about history and tradition. Let the boys have their fun. If the women are supposed to get all decked out in long dresses of velvet and sparkly fabrics and sequins, and wear pearls and diamonds and other shiny things, surely we can allow the men to wear a few feathers and bits of gold bling and the occasional sword or sabre. Without all these special, shiny, bits, their outfits for these dos would be a lot less interesting.

The uniform is not bad, but Fredrick is too small for the hat, plain and simple. They could modify it for him. The cadets can carry it off. So, can Prince Joachim. Fredrick will be king, he should be seen as regal not with some hat that overrides his face.

Dear Muhler,
I just watched the video of the NY reception: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80CoMxPqzMY and I have a question as we were talking about those feathered hats.
Joachim didn't take his hat off while viewing the guards while Fred took his hat off. Who was correct?
Thank you.

:previous:

Joachim.

Danish military personnel always remove their headgear when going inside, except when on active guard duty or as guard commander.
Until relieved by a superior officer (Frederik) Joachim was the senior commander (on behalf of Her Majesty), which is why the honor guard reported to him and he inspected the guards. So he keeps his headgear on until he has finished inspecting the honor guard and only when moving on inside the mansion, after having made sure everything is fine, does he remove his headgear.

Keeping your headgear on inside is a badge of authority.

In other countries the symbol of guard authority is a gorget worn in a chain around the neck and in these countries the headgear is not necessarily worn inside.

Here is such a gorget (that originally was the throat protection on a suit of armor): http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/10525/11124327_1.jpg?v=8CE35843AE3A010
It was and still is used by the German Feldpolizei hence their older nickname "chain-dogs".

BTW the man receiving the DRF is not the guard commander, he is an adjutant, whose job it is to receive the royals and remind them about inspecting the guard and perhaps convey a last minute message and things like that.
The commander of honor guard is standing on the right flank, next to the fifer and drummer (the signalman) and the colour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought there was a difference between the army and navy in inspection and rules. I believe someone on this forum brought the clarification, sorry I don't remember who. But I recall there is a distinction in Frederik being in navy and Joachim in army.

Either way thanks for the extra info.
This event is always a great way to start the year, all very regal.
It will be interesting to see the next receptions with Henrik not attending. I believe the Queen goes by carriage ?

:previous: Not that I know of.

But the navy does have a more laid back approach than the army, which maintains discipline, style and the proper way of doing things. :cool:
As for the fly-guys from the air force, well, you can expect anything from them. :whistling::p

The uniform is not bad, but Fredrick is too small for the hat, plain and simple. They could modify it for him. The cadets can carry it off. So, can Prince Joachim. Fredrick will be king, he should be seen as regal not with some hat that overrides his face.
I agree. It seems Frederik's front feathers are in dire need of a trim. :D

Hmm, I seem to remember that the Navy had an odd habit of removing their headdress when entering a building or ship and paying compliments, sans hat whilst indoors so, if the Danish Navy is the same, then both Joachim and Frederik are both right. But I kind of think someone of a suitable rank would have tapped Fred on the shoulder the first time he did it if he had made a mistake.

Ah, Muhler glad to see the grand old tradition of inter-service rivalry is still alive and kicking and very much an international culture. :lol: Go, Air Force!

Sweden as well. Vic uses military aid-de-camps instead of a LIW.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/icc-cpi/16611686944
crown princess victoria | Sofia's Blog

Great answers to the very ignorant post about the uniforms. But please...there are women cadets too. US military academies all include women and as of very recently they can now qualify to serve in all military posts, no exceptions.

I am sorry for not mentioning the women, I just did not see any women there in the pictures for that is what I was referring to. I am strongly for all women to be in the service and I do know that Princess Mary has done some of that. What I am not sure of but I do remember somewhere seeing her in fatigues with a rifle in her hands, I think that is right about the rifle. :)

Joachim.

Danish military personnel always remove their headgear when going inside, except when on active guard duty or as guard commander.
Until relieved by a superior officer (Frederik) Joachim was the senior commander (on behalf of Her Majesty), which is why the honor guard reported to him and he inspected the guards. So he keeps his headgear on until he has finished inspecting the honor guard and only when moving on inside the mansion, after having made sure everything is fine, does he remove his headgear.

Keeping your headgear on inside is a badge of authority.

In other countries the symbol of guard authority is a gorget worn in a chain around the neck and in these countries the headgear is not necessarily worn inside.

Here is such a gorget (that originally was the throat protection on a suit of armor): http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/10525/11124327_1.jpg?v=8CE35843AE3A010
It was and still is used by the German Feldpolizei hence their older nickname "chain-dogs".

BTW the man receiving the DRF is not the guard commander, he is an adjutant, whose job it is to receive the royals and remind them about inspecting the guard and perhaps convey a last minute message and things like that.
The commander of honor guard is standing on the right flank, next to the fifer and drummer (the signalman) and the colour.

Thank you sir.
I also stumbled with last year's video and Joachim did take his hat off.
Would that be because he has moved up in rank?
and why no one remind Frederick? Interesting!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv450Z3T0XQ

Frederik strikes me as a man with a highly developed sense of the ridiculous and self deprecating humour, which makes for a lovely person overall, but also makes for someone who always looks vaguely sheepish whenever he's forced into this level of finery. I find it endearing! :)

Thank you sir.
I also stumbled with last year's video and Joachim did take his hat off.
Would that be because he has moved up in rank?
and why no one remind Frederick? Interesting!!!

Old habit I guess.
It's hats off the moment you go inside, so no need to put it back on for what is basically a few seconds of formality.
As long as they at least remember to show respect to the honor guard which is basically what this is.

For that matter Joachim didn't give a proper army salute this year either, with his hand at (the awkward) 90 angle to the wrist.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day nothing excites a lady more than seeing a man in a good looking Uniform. Be it Police -Fire brigade Armed Forces et al, whatever.

I agree. It seems Frederik's front feathers are in dire need of a trim. :D

Hmm, I seem to remember that the Navy had an odd habit of removing their headdress when entering a building or ship and paying compliments, sans hat whilst indoors so, if the Danish Navy is the same, then both Joachim and Frederik are both right. But I kind of think someone of a suitable rank would have tapped Fred on the shoulder the first time he did it if he had made a mistake.

Ah, Muhler glad to see the grand old tradition of inter-service rivalry is still alive and kicking and very much an international culture. :lol: Go, Air Force!

Thanks. I recalled the difference between Navy and Army.
And I'm sure someone would have corrected him if he was wrong . ;)
And yes it's nice to see the ribbing/joking between military branches .

I forgot to mention how concerned I was to see the way the steward handled the cutlery and plates in the video. I too was surprised that he wasn't wearing gloves. Have seen other documentaries on the British banquet state room in preparation for a gala dinner and they wore gloves then. Maybe in the Danish video he wasn't the regular chap who did this sort of thing. Who knows with TV videos.

I forgot to mention how concerned I was to see the way the steward handled the cutlery and plates in the video. I too was surprised that he wasn't wearing gloves. Have seen other documentaries on the British banquet state room in preparation for a gala dinner and they wore gloves then. Maybe in the Danish video he wasn't the regular chap who did this sort of thing. Who knows with TV videos.

The only explanation I have is that the footman distrubuted the cutlery and then, at the finishing of the table-decking, all cutlery will be polished in the end. But this still means a quite disturbing and uncareful handling of precious silverware and the risk of damaging vulnerable damast...

Seeing the bâtons on the footman's uniform, he is a long and experienced member of staff...

:ohmy:

Last edited:

I had exactly the same though. I've saw places where China/cutlery of much less historical value are handled with gloves and much care. But they must know what they are doing.

I love all the pomp and yet its all so silly on some level.

Silly, how so? I am just trying to understand the term *silly* for this event.
One thing I did and do get out of it and this goes for all countries that keep their own culture and traditions is that this is what is done in this country,Denmark, and it does not reflex what is done in other countries. I think most countries like the US that have an elected government don't understand the traditions and culture of other countries. This event, the uniforms of the men, the women dressed in their glory of gowns, jewels, the livery, the bowing of the head, the people invited, this is all about Denmark and how they do things. This is in their history books just like 4th of July is in our history books for this is our history. The US is a baby country in the scope of things as we can only go back just over 200 years, while Denmark can trace their history back at least a 1,000 years and someone if this is wrong please do correct me. I once read that QM could trace her family back 900 years, that says something and that is incredible. IMO this was not silly, but being someone who enjoys history and anthology, I find this exciting to see the past history and traditions of Denmark still alive and well in today's day and age.......Hope they keep it up for another 1,000 years. :)

Well said Snowbirds.. denigrating other nations DEEPLY HELD traditions is in very poor taste IMO.

He was in fact very much the regular chap. He's the one responsible for setting the tables.
I'm sure he washes his hands so that not my major concern, but how about fingerprints?

I hope they do too. I said on some level. I meant no offense. Sorry if it seemed that way. If I didnt enjoy and respect the traditions I wouldnt be here.

He was in fact very much the regular chap. He's the one responsible for setting the tables.
I'm sure he washes his hands so that not my major concern, but how about fingerprints?

Fingerprints, scratches in old family heirloom silver and porcelain, the risk on damaging 17th, 18th or 19th C expensive handwoven silk damast tablelinen...

:whistling:

Fingerprints, scratches in old family heirloom silver and porcelain, the risk on damaging 17th, 18th or 19th C expensive handwoven silk damast tablelinen...

I'm pretty sure, that the "Taffeldækker" of the Royal Danish Court knows exactly what he is doing....I don't think he would be working there for long if he didn't.

The most discussed thing in this years New Years Banquet...Cutlery....

closely followed by "gloves - or the lack thereof" ;)

Have I missed an obviously fascinating discussion about "gloves - or not" ;)
Please point me in the right direction...

Thanks for the comments because I, too, was startled by the way the cutlery was being laid down. :flowers: I reflected to myself that whenever I have seen cutlery being laid (at that 'level') it's usually been in the context of a film or a television period drama, which is perhaps giving an unrealistic version of setting the table.

Perhaps what we just saw is, in fact, more usual.

Last edited:
:previous: I think you could be right about our expectations being based upon what we see in period dramas. I've been hunting around for footage of table-setting at Buckingham Palace and other British Royal residences, and none I've been able to find depicts anyone wearing gloves to set the table. This Buckingham Palace footman is handling things in such a slapdash way that she'd give Carson the vapours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXBsQ1GBe64. There's also some footage of table-setting in the Banquet episode of the Year at Windsor Castle series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX_Y0LhC8JQ commencing about 33.15.

The things that surprised me most about the Danish banquet video were the fact the table was made of pieces of timber placed on top of collapsible stands, similar to the way we do things at local community halls rather than the finely crafted and highly polished timber seen in the UK palaces, and the fact the bread rolls were stuffed into the napkins by a man with bare hands. I would have expected gloves for the handling of food.

I extend my belated thanks to Muhler for providing us with that video. I enjoyed it very much, and it has provided us with something to talk about for days. :lol:

I have a hunch that gloves are an issue for a time and place. :flowers: Consider the sanitary conditions of 100 years ago: running water and soap, and nail care, likely unheard of for a servant, so that gloves were the 'necessary' cloak to hide the unpleasantness of the servants' rough, raw hands, and splintered nails. Just an idea.

Then we have now: most everyone we saw in your videos, Roslyn, could be hand models. Their hands are clean and well-manicured. Working with gloves would be unwieldy imo. Why bother with them if the sanitary conditions do not require it? Likely every worker at the table has washed their hands with hot water and soap. Just my guess. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom