Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Naturally, because it's an undeniable truth that Joachim is the perfect gentleman.:cool:

QMII is a stickler for protocol in the sense that guests and other people the DRF deals with in an official capacity is always treated according to the protocol. In that way no one can feel snubbed.
And as QMII is fond of saying: "It's after all only possible for one at a time to go through the door".

I think she allows herself to be more lax when it comes to close family. The interaction has never been stiff between the members of the DRF, even when the show is on. - The respectful formalities are always counterbalanced by something warm, like a kiss on the cheek or a loving ruffling of the hair. (Like PH did to Frederik once).

However, M&F are special and they might just as well get used to it, so that it never becomes awkward for them.

Joachim, our Marie and Benedikte are further down the line so they can be more relaxed. Joachim is merely treating our Marie with the same curtsy I'm convinced PH would do, if he didn't happen to be Prince Consort.
And should Joachim drive with both Marie and Benedikte in the same car, I'm certain he would ensure his wife and moster (maternal aunt) would get out first.

Let me put it in another way: From what you know of Frederik, do you think if Frederik and Joachim swapped places in the line of succession, that Frederik wouldn't allow Mary to get out from the right side of the car, even though he technically outranks her?

On the video it took time before Prince Henrik came out of the car.
He was fortunaltely on the left side and I am sure that people had to help him getting out of his car and nobody saw it on TV.

In Belgium our former King Albert II needs the arm of his wife Queen Paola to waik.

However, M&F are special and they might just as well get used to it, so that it never becomes awkward for them.

Let me put it in another way: From what you know of Frederik, do you think if Frederik and Joachim swapped places in the line of succession, that Frederik wouldn't allow Mary to get out from the right side of the car, even though he technically outranks her?

I'm sure you are right. And maybe Frederik would love to be a perfect gentleman and let Mary get out from the right side of the car even in his current place in succession... If he could. ;)

I'm not criticizing Joachim and Marie. They can get out of the car any way they like. This is just something that people ask about most years. Looking at it, if you don't know the reason for it, you kind of get the impression that the Regent couple and J&M are doing things by the book and Frederik and Mary don't.

Last edited:
On a sidenote ...
Did you notice that Joachim let Marie shake hands first while Mary was second to her husband?

Apparently the public is allowed to get quite close to the royals on this occasion, in spite of what I presume is heavy security. On the Royal Watcher site, there is a picture of several people with cell phone cameras taking pictures through the windows. Just click on 'Danish Royal Family' and scroll down.

All the ladies look wonderful, but Mary has outdone herself, and it looks as though Frederik agrees! It's easy to envision them as a future king and queen.

On the video it took time before Prince Henrik came out of the car.
He was fortunaltely on the left side and I am sure that people had to help him getting out of his car and nobody saw it on TV.

In Belgium our former King Albert II needs the arm of his wife Queen Paola to waik.

I read somewhere that he was actually talking to a court employee. - There could be several reasons for that. One I can imagine is to ask about health or the well being of family.

I'm sure you are right. And maybe Frederik would love to be a perfect gentleman and let Mary get out from the right side of the car even in his current place in succession... If he could. ;)

I'm not criticizing Joachim and Marie. They can get out of the car any way they like. This is just something that people ask about most years. Looking at it, if you don't know the reason for it, you kind of get the impression that the Regent couple and J&M are doing things by the book and Frederik and Mary don't.

I know. :)
And personally I wouldn't dream about being annoyed by answering the same questions year after year, because there is no such thing as stupid questions, only stupid answers.
- And it helps those of us who were born in Late Jurassic to remember details... :p

On a sidenote ...
Did you notice that Joachim let Marie shake hands first while Mary was second to her husband?

That's because, wait for the fanfare, Joachim is the very definition of a perfect gentleman. :cool:

Apparently the public is allowed to get quite close to the royals on this occasion, in spite of what I presume is heavy security. On the Royal Watcher site, there is a picture of several people with cell phone cameras taking pictures through the windows. Just click on 'Danish Royal Family' and scroll down.

All the ladies look wonderful, but Mary has outdone herself, and it looks as though Frederik agrees! It's easy to envision them as a future king and queen.

Yes, the public is allowed surprisingly close access to the DRF. Long may that last...
Certainly Mary looks every inch a queen now. And Frederik has begun to believe that he looks the part.
Just like a soldier in uniform: If you look like a king, you start acting like a king and then you become a king.

On a sidenote ...

I can imagine the amount of hate Mary would get if she shakes hands before her husband :ROFLMAO::whistling:

Certainly Mary looks every inch a queen now. And Frederik has begun to believe that he looks the part.
Just like a soldier in uniform: If you look like a king, you start acting like a king and then you become a king.

Frederik looks perfect in uniform. I think if he wore his uniform everyday, there would be no complains from me;)
(of course, he looks great in suit, tux, wet suit, red pants...etc:cool:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I often find the menus at some of these events to sound rather odd or should I say rather unappetizing. Fish Cream for instance! Can any of our Danish members enlighten us about this as it doesn't sound very appealing.

I often find the menus at some of these events to sound rather odd or should I say rather unappetizing. Fish Cream for instance! Can any of our Danish members enlighten us about this as it doesn't sound very appealing.

Perhaps one of the Danish posters can do a proper translation. I am sure the meal was the best that the wonderful Danish chef's could prepare. I am curious about the ...Paris breast... Probably less interesting than the translation presented.

Paris Brest is a desert. It's a pat a choux/profiteroles/eclair usually filled with some kind of cream and nuts (almond etc).

Fiskecreme, which Google translates (usually a problem with food words from Danish I've found) directly to fish cream, is a sort-of soup-style dish that is served with various types of fish.

This is the first one that pops up on Google: Fiskecreme med slethvar - Opskrifter - Arla

And Paris Brest: Paris–Brest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

----
She's not royal, but one of my favourite gowns this year was Helle Thorning-Schmidt's. I absolutely adore that shade of blue. I also agree with roseroyal that it's a bit Frozen-esque, I have a little cousin who is obsessed with Queen Elsa (and just Frozen in general) and Helle's gown reminded me a little of Elsa's blue dress.

This thread goes back to 2004, so you could look at the older pages, but otherwise, The Royal Watcher on Tumblr has created very informative lists of what Queen Margrethe, CP Mary and Princess Marie have worn to the New Year Courts. Queen Margrethe's list dates back to 1997 (you can click on the years to find out more information about each gown the three royals have worn) :flowers::

Queen Margrethe
CP Mary
Princess Marie

I have a niece who's Frozen obsessed, and I thought the same thing!
As far as gowns go-
QM - No order- Purple, pink, gold, blue, peach Looks so much better in these than green.
Mary- no order -Red , purple.
Marie- pink, both shades!

Fish Cream a soup! Ah that makes more sense to me. Thank you Jess.

:previous: Naturally, because it's an undeniable truth that Joachim is the perfect gentleman.:cool:

Joachim, our Marie and Benedikte are further down the line so they can be more relaxed. Joachim is merely treating our Marie with the same curtsy I'm convinced PH would do, if he didn't happen to be Prince Consort.
And should Joachim drive with both Marie and Benedikte in the same car, I'm certain he would ensure his wife and moster (maternal aunt) would get out first.

besides, most people out there in the public (apart from us discerning posters in TRF) would not know about precedence and won't possibly even spot the breach of protocol of joachim letting his wife sit on the easier side or letting her shake hands first.
it always seems to be the case that joachim lets marie go first, so i guess this is no one off occasion and he prefers to let the general rules of gentleman-ness stand before the protocol, which is also a form of protocol in its own right. i like seeing that women are appropriately taken care of in this new generation of smartphones, facebook and blogger celebritities. :flowers:

VIDEO: Et nytårstaffel bliver til - Kongehuset

Very Interesting video, to get the inside how they set the table, I can not believe they are with the tape measure and it is nice to see the details of the tablecloth! I remember to see the center pieces and the candelabras in the museum when I was there are really all gold? I can understand about the salt and pepper but I can not understand what they say about the glasses and the cutlery. I notice they put some of them upside down, forks something to do with the points of it? How many people sit there?
May be somebody in the forum can write a translation of it?:flowers:

I was most struck with how makeshift the tables for the banket looked, and then all those table linen and decoration is added and there you are: splendour!

Ashelen, I'm quoting from memory now, but I think there are different traditions of how to lay the table. Afaik, it is the French tradition to have the forks and spoons facing down. The cutlery even looks different, because the engravings and decorations on the handle are on the side which faces up. If you find a fork that is plain on the upper side and decorated below, it's probably French. So it seems that the Danes go pretty much with the French tradition, at least at court.

What a fascinating video! It seems to make sense having the forks with the prongs facing downwards as that is how one holds the fork when eating. I have only ever seen the Danish Royal Family arriving at the banquet, never inside to where they are to eat. Thank goodness they don't have to lay the table like that every day!

:previous: Apparantly it's for the guests to see that the cutlery is genuine high quality (silver or gold). The markings on the back show that.

There is a common dinner-host joke here in DK about the cutlery being three-towered (high quality silver marks) only that one tower has tumbled over... :p

So I guess it's also about bragging that the cutlery is placed face down.
However most Danes who don't have or use quality silver, even when having dinner guests, place the cutlery with the face up.

I get the idea about the prongs facing down like a "safety issue" ? I saw this a while ago in other photos I think it was the engagement party of Mary and Fred. I think you can see even from the front that there are quality silverware or goldware. but I think depends of the designs if I would like to do the same with mines for a formal dinner, wouldn't look nice because the design it is at the end of the stem facing forward.
Wonder if they keep the French tradition because of Prince Henrik? or it is more an etiquette , protocol situation????
Can anybody explain what they say about the glasses? They are very beautiful, wonder where were made? although I must say Czech crystal bohemian crystal it is superb too.

:previous:
The glasses are Belgian and it was PH who introduced the custom about the cutlery facing down.

BT's photographer Keld Navntoft noticed it too ;) He added this note to his pictures from the night:

The photographers' flash light went berserk when the Crown Prince Couple arrived. There were shouted and screamed 'Mary Mary Mary' who took the breath away from the most in a brand new white gown with Queen Ingrid's ruby set. Crown Prince Frederik did also looked very proud of having Mary by his side.
Se billederne: Dronningen holdt nytårskur | www.bt.dk

Certainly the other way around too. They always seem proud of each other.

I myself am happy I can stay under the blanket and doesn't need to meet the world press on January the 1th every single year :p

Today the second New Year's Court take place. First at Amalienborg and now at Christianborg.

I just saw the tv-news and clips was shown from when The Regent Couple and The CP Couple arrived at Christiansborg Palace.

The Queen in her usual blue robe and long fur coat.

Mary in a blue gown too. New one maybe? Or maybe this one (couldn't see it properly due to the flashlight)
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/82/7/768x-u/7082441-.jpg

Wonder whether Henrik and Margrethe will stand up or sit down during this year's New Year's Courts. These court's two day in a row can be hard for older backs.

BB article about today's New Year Court - about who there participates and why:
Regentparret afholder årets anden nytårskur i dag – sådan foregår det | Billed Bladet

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
The glasses are Belgian and it was PH who introduced the custom about the cutlery facing down.

Thank You Muhler! I thought it was from PH now we know it is for sure, do they say anyting about how to set the glasses?

Back
Top Bottom