Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mary and Marie are lovely. Fredrick looks like a wooden soldier, as does his brother. They do not fit the attire. The scrubby beard on Frederick is awful, but whatever. The Queen looks lovely, also, and she and Mary seem to wear the same gowns every year. Probably a good idea for economy.

Thanks for the videos of the coverage. Everyone looked so good and I like that the media dedicate so much time in covering some of the Danish royal events.

Can anyone tell me who the lady was in the white gown, it had a lace top and long lace sleeves? That was a very beautiful gown, very elegant and classy. I loved that CM reused a former gown, I happen to love velvet, in fact dark red velvet and she looked really beautiful tonight. I also like CMarie's gown, new and cute on her. QM, don't like the color on her, green is not her color at all.
Worst dress there, the gray gown with the green huge green bow down the front.......oh my goodness who would wear that?
She is the Primer Minester of Denamrk, Helle Thorning-Schmidt, very beautiful and intelligent Lady! she needs a tiara too fer her heair do!:whistling:and she her dress to die for too!

Va va voom quite a PM for Denmark! No wonder our President and others were taken by her and her wonderful english accent (by Marriage) how interesting life is.
What a lovely gown she wore, reminds me of Mary's gown from the Dutch abdication.
anyway...Mary needs a new dress for this, too many repeats

Last edited:
For those who are interested in fashion and the beautiful dresses, here's a link to the Danish Tv2.dk. One of Denmark's most famous fashion experts, Uffe Buchard comment on those three dresses, which he finds nicest from last night: Prime Minister Helle Thorning, CP Mary and Queen Margrethe, and a couple of other dresses as well.

Mode-ekspert: Her er den flotteste kjole | GO'
Translated: Google Oversæt

Last edited:
All the 3 royal ladies were beautiful, but i´m a little tired of seing crown princess Mary with this dress, i think it´s time for a change!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe some of our Danish experts can answer this for me, why did Joachim salute the soldiers inside when they were at attention and Fred didn't, Fred walked by them, spoke to them but didn't salute them? Also, I noticed while watching the video, Joachim stopped and spoke to more people then Fred and Mary, he seemed warmer then I anticipated because normally he seems more standoffish.

Maybe some of our Danish experts can answer this for me, why did Joachim salute the soldiers inside when they were at attention and Fred didn't, Fred walked by them, spoke to them but didn't salute them? Also, I noticed while watching the video, Joachim stopped and spoke to more people then Fred and Mary, he seemed warmer then I anticipated because normally he seems more standoffish.

Well, correct procedure IIRC, and mind you I wasn't an officer in the army myself.
Is that you salute the officer in command of the guard first and continue to do so, until he has given his report. Because until you take over, the guard on duty can give you a command, which you are obliged to obey, no matter your rank. (I.e. a private on guard can give an order to a full general).
After which the senior officer (here a royal) walk down the line of guardsmen and recieve their salute by looking each one of them in the eyes.
Having done that you give a "very well/carry onl" or something like that to the commanding guards officer by saluting him.
ADDED: There wasn't a colourbearer, so I deleted that part to avoid confusion.

So as far as I could tell Joachim did the whole thing by the letter. While Frederik opted for a more relaxed approach (he is after all a navy man) and saluted with his eyes. I.e. by looking the commanding officer in the eyes at the end.

Did this make any sense? :ermm:

- As to why Joachim greeted and spoke to more people than Frederik I can't say. Three of them were adjutants, so I can imagine that at least one was attached Joachim and our Marie when M&F arrived.

Last edited:
video of the arrivals.
Dronningens nytårskur - 01. jan. 2014 | DR1 | DR
its funny seeing Joachim moving around Marie so much, one side and then around, and then to the other side again.

This picture, I like it, very regal both Mary and handsome Frederik;)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PWSBcg9V1ss/UsSDp4xSEKI/AAAAAAABND8/5CAG21w1o84/s1600/7070697-001.JPG

Another member pointed this out in the fashion thread, but is Marie not wearing the Family Order? ( the portrait of the Queen? sorry if thats not what its called)

are they not suppose to? i see Mary wearing it
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/70/7/x2048-u/7070571-nytrskur-p-amalienborg.jpg
http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/70/7/x2048-u/7070596-maryass3.jpg

the queen uses the one with her father
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...media/margrethe-og-henrik_1.jpg?itok=8t1GSWg0

It seems that Marie forgot hers this year. She did wear it last year: http://joachimetmarie.j.o.pic.centerblog.net/brillants-2013.jpg

The royal ladies don't always wear their Royal Family Orders. It's like you are free to choose to wear it or not when it's required to be worn.

Did Princess Benedikte or her cousin Princess Elisabeth attend? (Apologies if this was already asked).

Did Princess Benedikte or her cousin Princess Elisabeth attend? (Apologies if this was already asked).

Princess Elisabeth dit not attend probably because of Health Issues as she has said in an Interview. Princess Benedikte never attends at last i can not remember, perhaps she used to attend earlier.

Princess Elisabeth dit not attend probably because of Health Issues as she has said in an Interview. Princess Benedikte never attends at last i can not remember, perhaps she used to attend earlier.

Many thanks Stefan,its quite rare that we get to see Princess Elisabeth,though I think she hasn't attended the last few New Years Courts due to ill health .(Pity)

The royal ladies don't always wear their Royal Family Orders. It's like you are free to choose to wear it or not when it's required to be worn.

I didnt know they got to pick and choose.:flowers: Mary and the Queen were wearing theirs

Happy New Year, All, and especially Muhler. :) Each year, I look forward to seeing what beautiful clothes will be there and what will Queen Margrethe wear. I remember her wearing this green dress to Crown Princess Victoria's wedding. She had to move her dress in order to make room for the King to sit down and at one point during the ceremony the dress was over his lap. Which made me laugh. She has so much savoir faire/panache/style? I admire her so much and I think this dress looks great on her. I believe I remember reading that she styled it herself? Does it anyone else remember that?

I thought there was an event right after this one during the day. It seems the Queen and PC and then Fred and Mary attend.

Last edited:
I didnt know they got to pick and choose.:flowers: Mary and the Queen were wearing theirs

I didn't know they could pick and choose either but after I've seen old pictures of the British royal ladies over the years, they've too decided when or not to wear their Royal Family Orders on occasions where it would usually be required for them to wear it. Some decide to wear it and some decide not to.

Princess Elisabeth certainly did not attend as her sister-in-law Countess Anne-Dorte passed away.

I thought there was an event right after this one during the day. It seems the Queen and PC and then Fred and Mary attend.

Yes I wondered about that - isn't it the greeting the ambassadors and gold carriage ride...any links anyone?

:previous: The courts continue Monday and Tuesday.

You are welcome, Rebafan81. :)

Happy New Year to you too MissByrd. - Hope you'll find the name of the church. :)

Princess Elisabeth certainly did not attend as her sister-in-law Countess Anne-Dorte passed away.

The Countess passed away on the 2nd. The first New Year Court took place of the 1st. IIRC Princess Elisabeth had some problems with her foot and she told Billedbladet a couple of weeks ago that she had been invited, but was not sure that she would be able to attend.

Many thanks Stefan,its quite rare that we get to see Princess Elisabeth,though I think she hasn't attended the last few New Years Courts due to ill health .(Pity)

She attended in either 2013 or 2012 don't remember exact which year. But there have been bod pics of her from that year which sometimes was not the case.

I didn't know they could pick and choose either but after I've seen old pictures of the British royal ladies over the years, they've too decided when or not to wear their Royal Family Orders on occasions where it would usually be required for them to wear it. Some decide to wear it and some decide not to.

But the question is: What is the custom in the DRF?
There would have been lots of frowning, if Mary hadn't worn hers...;)

I admire her so much and I think this dress looks great on her. I believe I remember reading that she styled it herself? Does it anyone else remember that?

The dress was made by Birgit Hallstein, and while the basic design is sketched by the designer, it's being closely monitored by HM; she may suggest a few changes/corrections/improvements. At least that's the impression you get after reading a fairly recent book on the Queen's dresses.
Did you know that HM's gala dresses are designed so that HM 'step into' them? Pulling a dress over your head is a no go with upswept hairstyles and tiaras!
Stylewise the green dress is one of her best in recent years. The colour however ........ nah.....:whistling:!

viv

Maybe some of our Danish experts
can answer this for me, why did Joachim salute the soldiers inside
when they were at attention and Fred didn't, Fred walked by them,
spoke to them but didn't salute them? Also, I noticed while watching
the video, Joachim stopped and spoke to more people then Fred and
Mary, he seemed warmer then I anticipated because normally he
seems more standoffish.

Hi Rebafan,
While not an expert I happen to know that Danish naval officers
never wear caps indoors and thus never salute indoors!
In this case CP Frederik was wearing the naval gala dress with a
'sauce boat' hat, and I don't know whether the same tradition - not saluting - applies when in a 'ceremonial mode' as the gala dress would normally call for! The gala uniform is only worn by the very top brass!
IIRC we may have seen a navy styled Prince Consort wearing his 'sauce'boat' indoors, but having honorary - 'a la suite' ranks in all three services he may confuse the various traditions from time to other ;).

Last but not least in Denmark the Navy enjoys taking the mickey out
of the Army and their far more formal ceremonial and rigid traditions!
Now you could argue that an occasion like a New Year's gala is not the time and place to do so, but I for one wouldn't be surprised if it were the case .;).

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: :lol: True, the navy is known to be more informal than the other two branches.
However, in the army, you normally never wear your headgear either, except when on specific duty, and as such you normally don't salute indoor either. You only stand to attention. (You can sit to attention in the navy).

Typical navy though... They got the finest dress uniforms but they can't tell the difference from a spoon and a fork...
No, proper ceremonial ought to be left where it belongs: in the competent care of the army.

As for PH, you are probably right. He was originally an army man, intelligence NCO to be exact. And how things are done in the French army, I have no idea.

ADDED conclusion: So I guess it's a matter of taste: Frederik's navy approach or the proper, stylish army approach performed so well by Joachim as can be expected by an officer and gentleman. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom