The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 01-06-2016, 02:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellie View Post
Dear Muhler,
I think you have explained before but I just check anyway. So the women, including the queen have to take off their gloves to shake hand while the men in uniform, like Frederik don't have to? because the gloves are part of their uniform?
Thanks again.
The gloves are a part of the uniform and I don't recall having seen anyone removes it in order to shake hands, so I guess you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBirds View Post
Dear Muhler,
Can you explain to me what this is? The men in the uniforms with their backs showing are wearing blue fabric with a key attached to the fabric, please forgive my ignorance for not explaining it right, this looks confusing to me.

http://sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cache/31...643_2517_2.jpg

Also one of the gentlemen there does not have the shoulder pads with the fringe that the other gentleman has.....?
The are court officials. The key is a symbol of their trusted position. I.e. having the key to the Queen's chambers.
The key is also an honor bestowed to outsiders who then become Camberlains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBirds View Post
Muhler,
Here is another question and I hope it's okay to ask all these questions here:

http://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/f...polfoto2_0.jpg

Now I see these 3 men with the queen, I assume 2 are the Honor Guards for they are dressed the same and the 3rd gentleman, is he also an Honor Guard? He is wearing a different uniform and his has tails while the other don't. He also does not have those shoulder pads and is carrying a stafff, who is he and what does he do?

Thank you....
They are two adjutants, see the cord around their right shoulder. Ordinary adjutants wear it around their left shoulder.
The third is the Master of Ceremonies and the staff is a symbol of his senior position.

- I think Roskilde is right. Mary has clearly enjoyed the Australian cuisine - and treats. Her face is fuller and she looks like the Mary we saw when Frederik first met her.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler;1853487
- I think Roskilde is right. Mary has clearly enjoyed the Australian cuisine - and treats.[B
Her face is fuller[/B] and she looks like the Mary we saw when Frederik first met her.
That must be because she's expecting twins again, according to the Aussie "press"...
Old 01-06-2016, 04:33 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

The pictures from the Court are really good. I love that picture of Frederik and Mary and it looks very warm.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

The worst part of having spotty to no mostly Net service during the Holidays was knowing I was missing the coverage of the New Year Courts. Thanks to one and all for all the pictures and everything.

Going to leave it there for now. First the Storm on Christmas Eve hit our service, and I have a bad feeling the way it went out, helped to hasten the imminent death of my Router. Since due to location and other factors, I haven't a clue when I can get a new one and this is the first time online since the Weekend, so taking advantage while I can.

While it is frustrating, it could be worse...This could have happened around the time Crown Princess Victoria's due after all. So expect me when you see me and Thank You again to all who shared stuff!!

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 01-06-2016, 06:04 AM
Commoner

Here is photo of Queen Margrethe in her golden carriage:
http://ekstrabladet.dk/incoming/jkg8...ndlet%20webpix
Old 01-06-2016, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Arrival to the New Years Court today
New Years Reception at Christiansborg Palace, 06-01-2016 - Images | Bernard Rübsamen

Old 01-06-2016, 06:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
That must be because she's expecting twins again, according to the Aussie "press"...
Lol! For the past year, the Australian tabloids have been "reporting" every week that QMII will be abdicating and she'll be the Queen Regent...they sucked in my sister. I had to explain she will be Queen consort
Old 01-06-2016, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Here are some more pics from yesterday, January 5:

** ppe gallery **

** dpp gallery: New year reception 2016 in Christiansborg **

** pm gallery: Des vœux en célibataire pour la reine du Danemark **
Old 01-06-2016, 08:08 AM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

More pics from today

PPE Agency
Old 01-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

I am happy to see that the Danes follow the proper etiquette: unglove the right hand for a handshake. Look at the right hands of the Crown Princess and the Queen. Crown Prince Frederik has his glove on but I think this was at the very begin of the passage. In video's I saw him with an ungloved right hand as well.

In the UK royal ladies seem to keep their gloves on, however Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother always followed proper etiquette.

The Crown Princess and the Queen with ungloved right hand

Queen Elizabeth, the Queen-Mother with ungloved right hand

Queen Letizia and Queen Mathilde with ungloved right hand

Queen Máxima with ungloved right hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mademoisellekate View Post
Here is photo of Queen Margrethe in her golden carriage:
http://ekstrabladet.dk/incoming/jkg8...ndlet%20webpix
Too bad the public interest always seem minimal for these ceremonial processions.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Too bad the public interest always seem minimal for these ceremonial processions.
I think the reason is also that it as a normal workday in Denmark and the Carraige Tour is in the morning when most people are at work.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Queen Margrethe of Denmark travels in 24-carat gold horse-drawn coach in Copenhagen | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't get why the Queen is using the same dress as yesterday? and Mary looks lovely1as always
Old 01-06-2016, 11:28 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I don't get why the Queen is using the same dress as yesterday? and Mary looks lovely1as always
I have a same question too. Why is the Queen wearing the same dress from yesterday and every year also?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Today's Court is the last one and is called the "Grand Court" despite the fact that we always get a lot more pictures to yesterday's "Small Court" where we always get lots of pictures inside too. Today we only get a few pictures of Queen Margrethe in the coach and a few pictures of F&M and the Queen arriving. But the pictures we have got are beautiful. Mary again look beautiful in a recycled New Year's reception gown. I fully understand Mary must wear a cape these days. It's freezing cold in Denmark. Because of the wind it feels like -15 degrees and the wind hurt our faces. F&M and children must freeze their *** off these days after 3-4 weeks in sunny warm Australia

This was the last New Year's Court this year. I love following them and to begin the royal year this way. I guess Margrethe, Frederik and Mary tonight will enjoy to give their hands a time off after all those handshakes.

More nice pictures of the Crown Prince couple arriving at today's last court
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...31&oe=57473A5C
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e3&oe=56FC2F4F
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...5c&oe=5707D463
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8f&oe=5748F0B4
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d2&oe=57493E80
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...4c&oe=570759AD

And of Margrethe arriving and riding in the coach:
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...0c&oe=571626F7
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...04&oe=5718B6C2

BB video from today:
VIDEO: Kronprinsesse Mary valgte sin favorit-kjole igen | BILLED-BLADET

BB gallery of the many guests:
SE BILLEDERNE: De øverste rangklasser til kur hos dronning Margrethe | BILLED-BLADET

TV2 video with the Crown Prince couple's and the Queen's arrival:
Se billederne: Margrethe på iskold karettur gennem København - TV 2

The Queen and the Crown Prince couple have greet 750 people at today's court
Old 01-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

thanks to all for the many links.
What great three New year's receptions.

Now this is a handsome man looking great in his uniform
http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2016/PPE16010612.jpg
some may say his uniform is a bit tight after their Aussie vacation, but he looks fantastic and Mary too. Very elegant
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...2088816419.jpg

Mary looks beautiful
http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2016/PPE16010612.jpg

Frederik and Mary in their car heading to the reception on January 5th
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hp...77555356_n.jpg
Old 01-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I think the reason is also that it as a normal workday in Denmark and the Carraige Tour is in the morning when most people are at work.
Not to mention pretty cold!

Another member PM'ed me with some questions about the honor guards and I've decided to answer the questions here:

How do they get picked for this position?
What age can they join the Honor Guards?
Is it a certain amount of time or can it be for lifetime?
Can they transfer to another regiment if they want to?
Do they live in the palace or barracks nearby?
Does the government pay them or the royal family?

------------------

The honor guard is simply an attachment of the serving guards battalion of the Royal Lifeguard Regiment.
Or an attachment of the Horse Squadron of Guards Hussars Regiment.

Apart from senior NCOs and officers they are all conscripts. However the conscripts in the Danish military are very close to 100 % volunteers nowadays. Some units like the Royal Lifeguard, the Guards Hussars and the crew aboard Dannebrog are very sought after! And there is usually a waiting list for up to a couple of years to serve in these units.

All Danish males are eligible for conscription from the age of eighteen. In reality only some 5-6.000 are called up each year, so most of a generation don't serve. But practically all are called up for the draft board.
All Danish females have the right to serve as conscripts from the age of eighteen. Because many women have ridden horses when they were girls, and because they are generally lighter and smaller than the guys, the Guards Hussars Horse Squadron is very sought after by them. - However, they still have to go through basic training and additional combat training, because the Guards Hussars is a combat regiment before being allowed to apply for service with the Horse Squadron.
The difference between the men and women is that women can quit at any moment during their service. - Men can't.

Regular professional soldiers usually don't serve in the guards battalion, unless they are senior career NCOs.
But some regulars stay in their parent regiment throughout their careers.

It's not common for conscripts to transfer to another regiment. They may in some cases transfer to another platoon or company, but there have to be really good reasons for it.
Since 100 % of all conscripts in the Royal Lifeguard Regiment are volunteers that's close to unheard.
If someone cannot cope, they simply shipped home. Since the military can pick and choose, there is no need to keep someone around who is unfit for duty.

The conscripts live in barracks during their service. Regulars, NCOs and officers live at home.

The conscripts of the Royal Lifeguard Regiment are stationed at Høvelte Barracks, where they receive their training. Once graduated from here those who are to serve in guards battalion are transferred to Rosenborg Castle in central Copenhagen. Here they also guard the crown Jewels and when it's time for their platoon to stand guard at a royal palace they simply march to Amalienborg or is driven to wherever they are supposed to stand guard.

All expenses regarding the military, whether they are associated with the DRF or not, are covered by the Ministry of Defense.

The sentries perform regular military guard duty, which means they are live rounds and when standing guard the sentry is the highest authority present, expect for his immediate NCO or commanding officer.
If a guard on duty issue an order to a general, the general must obey.

That also applies to civilians, including tourists.

There have been some instances in the past when the sentries have opened fire. Except for during WWII only warning shots though.

The serving guards platoon at Amalienborg is always billeted in basement of the mansion of the monarch. Right now that's the Regent Couple's mansion.
Within at most a couple of days after Frederik has become king, the guards platoon will be billeted in the basement of M&F's mansion.
At the same time the monogram on the sentry boxes will be changed from M2R - Margrethe 2nd Regina to FXR - Frederik tenth Rex.
The epaulets on the shoulders of all soldiers in the Royal Lifeguard Regiment (they are popularly known as rex'es) will also be changed to the new monogram. - They have probably already been made.

Older career soldiers and NCOs are sometimes selected for duty as chauffeurs for the DRF. That's a cozy posting and more or less considered a reward for long and reliable service.
They get a crash course on etiquette and evasive driving and issued a uniform. PH as the social man he very much is, often develop a close relationship with his drivers and bring them with him, rather than leaving them at the car.
I happen to know an NCO whom I served with in the 90's, who until last year was a driver for the DRF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Frederik and Mary in their car heading to the reception on January 5th
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hp...77555356_n.jpg
Pity there is only room for two in the golden coach. - So Mary would have to run behind the coach, and that would look sloppy methinks.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Former Administrator

Thanks for all the amazing photos and links - it is one of the highlights of the year for me to see the New year Courts.

The photos of the Golden Carriage driving through Copenhagen with snow falling are wonderful.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Does the Danish Royal House have more carriages, so that other royals can follow the Queen in the ceremonial procession like in the UK or the Netherlands?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, at least one more. An open landauer with seating for four persons.

http://drupal-images.tv2.dk/sites/im...0c50e06d1.jpeg

There are a few more, but AFAIK they are not in use.

Tags
danish new year levee, danish royals