Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the Danish New Year Courts! They all look superb!

QMII curtseying to Denmark is a great tradition, and has such deep meaning. I truky hope this tradition continues with Frederik and Christian.

As for the banana, and as CP Mary would know, bananas are low GI, meaning they keep you feeling satiated, and will give you energy over a longer period of time. They are a great source of fibre and aren't known to bloat. Lots of athletes will snack on bananas during their matches/meets because of banana's great nutritional properties.

As an Aussie, like vegemite, they are a staple in most households and one of the first solid foods given to babies. Bananas are particularly delicious with peanut butter ?

Absolutely elaborate!
What about the 'one chair' on one side of the table. While he/she is seated close to two others; it does look a little weird to have only one chair on a long end of a table.

:previous: It's not often we see the New Year Court for the officers of the guards regiments at Amalienborg, that takes place before the court for the diplomatic corps at Christiansborg.

Now, I can sense some of you asking: Why are the soldiers bowing, rather than saluting?
You don't salute when you don't wear a headgear. And you don't wear a headgear inside when you are not on watch - I.e. guard duty or something similar. (As a rough thumb-rule: You wear a headgear inside when you are under arms. Otherwise you remove your headgear the moment you step inside.)
So you stand to attention instead - and in the case of the DRF you bow. And this being the army, they all bow to a similar angle.
(Leave it to the army to do things the proper way! :cool: Heaven only knows what navy officers would do in a similar situation! Probably rest on their hairy knuckles... :ermm:
The fly-boys from the airforce would be too busy admiring themselves in the mirrors to even notice the DRF! :wub:)

Mary looks every inch a queen today!

A BB video from the diplomatic court:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...lyste-op-i-smuk-hvid-kjole-ved-frederiks-side

As always nice to see the many national costumes many of the diplomats wear.
The diplomats line up along the walls in alphabetic orders of their countries.
The doyen of the diplomatic corps give a short speech on behalf of the entire corps wishing QMII and the royal family a Happy New Year.
QMII give a little speech tanking the diplomats for their well wishes and wishing a Happy New Year in return.
Then the diplomats will personally greet the DRF in alphabetical order.

The whole thing ends with a little reception, where the diplomats are served refreshments, coffee and pastry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful day two.
The 3 look fantastic. Very regal

Why on earth were Joachim and Marie wearing their stars of the French Order of Legion on Wednesday?

Why on earth were Joachim and Marie wearing their stars of the French Order of Legion on Wednesday?

Because they live in France these days, would be my guess. And Joachim is attending a French academy.

The Queen today in a very big fur coat. But probabbly because of the carriage ride. Don't think there is heating in the carriage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder is the ballet of Bows and Curtseys will continue when Frederick will be King.

For the Belgiian State Visit in Denmark no one of our Ministers ot others who were with the King and the Queen did not now bow deeply.
In my country this is over !

For the Belgiian State Visit in Denmark no one of our Ministers ot others who were with the King and the Queen did not now bow deeply.
In my country this is over !

What a pity.

The Queen today in a very big fur coat. But probabbly because of the carriage ride. Don't think there is heating in the carriage.
I always wonder how is the heating inside the palaces, so big rooms with such a high ceilings very difficult and expensive to heat up! and All the ladies always in this beautiful gowns , that they do not look warm at all.

I always wonder how is the heating inside the palaces, so big rooms with such a high ceilings very difficult and expensive to heat up! and All the ladies always in this beautiful gowns , that they do not look warm at all.

Depends on who pays for the heating: the State or the Queen herself, on the state of the residence (Frederik's mansion has been totally renovated and will have a good climate plan) and on the general use of the venue: is it a "daily working venue" (warm) or more a museal destination with occasional royal use (less warm) ?

Depends on who pays for the heating: the State or the Queen herself, on the state of the residence (Frederik's mansion has been totally renovated and will have a good climate plan) and on the general use of the venue: is it a "daily working venue" (warm) or more a museal destination with occasional royal use (less warm) ?

Both the receptions roloms at Christiansborg and Christian VII., Palace at Amalienborg whre this recptions take place are not Palaces where people live. But the rooms at Christiansborg are huge so probably much more difficult to heat up for a few hours.

Both the receptions roloms at Christiansborg and Christian VII., Palace at Amalienborg whre this recptions take place are not Palaces where people live. But the rooms at Christiansborg are huge so probably much more difficult to heat up for a few hours.

Before the renovation of the Royal Palace in Amsterdam the Household made use of those compressor-heaters, placed on the inner courtyards with big hoses into the windows to blaze hot air and warm the huge Citizens' Hall in winter: the palace's own heating system from the 1960's was too excessive in fuel consumption and not effective enough. Since the extensive renovation in the 2010's there is a better and more economic heating plan. I think we can say for all palaces: the more modern the climate system, the less a problem to heat. I think today the Queen was especially dressed for the carriage ride.

Last edited:
But the rooms at Christiansborg are huge so probably much more difficult to heat up for a few hours.

There are visitors touring the royal reception rooms at Christiansborg (almost) daily. Surely the temperature inside must be adequate even during winter?

Lovely 3rd day.
The horses and carriage very majestic.
Frederik and Mary a huge support for the Queen.

The Palace has just issued the following press release.

"As a result of the continued spread of COVID-19 in Denmark, Her Majesty the Queen has decided to cancel the New Year's table for the government, the Speaker of the Folketing, representatives of official Denmark and the Court on 1 January 2021. The subsequent New Year's on-duty Officers Corps, the Diplomatic Corps, the Armed Forces and the Danish Emergency Management Agency, I., II. and III. rank class as well as representatives of major national organizations and royal patronages, which should have taken place on 4 and 5 January 2021, are also canceled. During the Queen's reign, the traditional New Year's celebration in the Royal House has only been canceled once before. It happened in 2005 as a result of the tsunami in Southeast Asia at Christmas 2004.

Instead, a small New Year's party will be held at Christiansborg Castle on 4 January 2021 for the Prime Minister and a few other representatives of official Denmark."

https://kongehuset.dk/nyheder/aflysning-af-nytaarstaffel-og-nytaarskure-i-2021

Wow, that's a big decision, but perfectly understandable while the coronavirus rages among the population.
Well I will miss the New Years courts because I look forward to it every year.
But everyones good health is more important.

“Instead, a small New Year's court will be held at Christiansborg Castle on 4. January 2021 for the Prime Minister and a few other representatives of official Denmark.”

:previous: It may include the Queen and Crown Prince Couple.

It is really few times that the New Year's banquet and the Courts have been canceled. Yes I can only (as written) remember it in the year 2005 after the tsunami.

Then the DRF can have themselves a really fun and wet New Year's Eve this year. For once! :D

It's a perfect opportunity for F&M and children to celebrate Christmas and (for once New Year's Eve) with Mary's family in Australia, but with Australia's closed borders it's most probably not going to be an option (even they for once now have the opportunity).

It's a rather different/sad time we are living in.

Back
Top Bottom