Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
810 hands that sounds too much! i gues they havad to use a lot of hand sanitizing!

BB managed to cover the first New Year Court before deadline this week.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #1, 2011.
Nytårskur uden Mary - New Year Court without Mary.
Written by Anna Johannesen.

As you probably noticed, Mary was not present at the New Year Courts this year. So Frederik had to go alone, wearing his navy gala uniform, his orders and the Order of the Elephant worn on a chain, the only time of year, this order in worn on a chain.
Unsurprisingly he nevertheless got a good deal of attention. He was in great mood and despite Mary not being there, he had to pose: "Do you want such a alone-picture of me"?

Prior to Frederik, Joachim arrived, in his infantry gala uniform, with la Marie by his side.
The fair Marie was wearing her wedding tiara and dressed in a gown by Rikke Gudnitz.

The Regent Couple was there too, you know. QMII wearing a gown of ziberline-silk, whatever that is, created by Birgitte Thaulow.
The less said about Prince Henrik and him advertizing for the ladies, the better....

I was disappointed that Marie wasn't wearing more impressive jewellry at the New Year Gala. I wish the Queen would give her a decent necklace as well as the family order which I thought she would have had by now.

Why should the Queen give her a necklace? Last time I checked, Marie had a husband :p

I was disappointed that Marie wasn't wearing more impressive jewellry at the New Year Gala. I wish the Queen would give her a decent necklace as well as the family order which I thought she would have had by now.
Which order are you referring to here? The order of the Elephant? Pss Marie does have that one, you know :flowers:

I thought the portrait of Margrethe is the family order?

Which order are you referring to here? The order of the Elephant? Pss Marie does have that one, you know :flowers:
I think she means the monarchs portrait.I also find it strange that Princess Marie doen't have it yet. Princess Alexandra got hers for the Queens Silver Jubilee in January 1997 and Crown Princess Mary got hers also very early after the marriage (i believe about 1 year later).

Ahh, thank you, Sternchen and Stefan, I had forgot about that one :)

From the danish BB "Billedbladet" article (paperedition) about the New Year "kur":

"Will you have such a sole picture of me? asked Crown Prince Frederik, whereupon he smiled on the red carpet in front of the enlightened Christian VII's Palace at Amalienborg, where the royal couple has New Year Levee and banquet for the government, court and official Denmark. The Crown Prince was in top form after a nice New Year's Eve with his little family, and although he obviously wanted to have Mary at his side, he was still more comfortable with her staying home and taking care of her pregnant belly, because now the twins are expected to the world every moment.
The first celebration in the royal family is something that all the invited look forward to, and as usual there were beautiful deck to the royal table in the Great Hall, where about 60 guests ..... took place after having wished the royal couple, Crown Prince, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie Happy New Year. Fred got a speciel warm handshake to Princess Mary and a desire for "everything good " for the impending birth. The menu was ...":flowers:

has the queen missed ány new year galas since she became queen?

I mentioned the Queen giving her a necklace as I presume that she decides who gets what heirlooms to wear.

I don't think I have ever seen a borrowed necklace on either Mary or Alexandra, so I think it is highly unlikely that she will do it different with Marie :)

Frederik has a pretty close association to the navy. Partly through his grandfather Frederik IX, whom he resemble so much. Frederik IX was known as the Sailor King, and with good reason.
Also, Frederik served in the navy onboard a patrol frigate in the North Atlantic.
He also served in the Frogman Corps, which belongs to the navy.
On top of that he is pretty fond of the sea and sailing.

And as you point out, the navy uniform is the smartest looking. - It can certainly make some of you drool heavily. ;)

I have a friend here in the US who was born and raised in Denmark (his family still live there) and he served with Frederick in the military. He told me that Frederick also came to the US to train with the Navy Seals. A daunting task to be sure. He made it clear that every medal Frederick wears, he earned by the sweat of his brow. He insisted on doing the same work that any regular soldier had to accomplish for those medals. So for anyone that might think that they are purely decoration or were given to him because of who he is, he got them the hard way. :cool:

I have a friend here in the US who was born and raised in Denmark (his family still live there) and he served with Frederick in the military. He told me that Frederick also came to the US to train with the Navy Seals. A daunting task to be sure. He made it clear that every medal Frederick wears, he earned by the sweat of his brow. He insisted on doing the same work that any regular soldier had to accomplish for those medals. So for anyone that might think that they are purely decoration or were given to him because of who he is, he got them the hard way. :cool:

That is 100 pct. true. The military education he obtained is the hardest you can get in Denmark.

On top of that CP Frederik has achieved an academic degree named cand scient pol.
His studies included a year at Harvard University. In 1995 Crown Prince Frederik obtained his MA degree in Political Science from University of Aarhus. He completed in the prescribed number of years with an exam result above average. His final paper was an analysis on the foreign policy of the Baltic States.

Frederik has also joined the expedition Sirius -a polar expedition.

Here's a gallery of pics from today from Berlingske.dk:

** De lange kjolers aften **
hello
there are beautiful pictures but the ceremony is it entire on TV
? if yes where can see it
thanks

I noticed when I was watching the arrivals on tv, that Joachim was swinging his right arm 45 degrees in moore than one occasion.

A coincidence?

Sone one who is much hung on formalities will appriciate this I'm sure. :)
hello beneddikte
we have noticed when you watching the arrivals on tv
do you seen entire arrival ?
what chance!!!!i

Last edited by a moderator:
hello beneddikte
we have noticed when you watching the arrivals on tv
do you seen entire arrival ?
what chance!!!!i

I'm sorry I don't understand what you have written.

Would you do me the favor of writing your comment in french, s'il vous plaît:flowers:

Je suis désolé je ne comprends pas ce que vous avez écrit.

Souhaitez-vous me faire le plaisir d'écrire votre commentaire en français,

I'm sorry I don't understand what you have written.

Would you do me the favor of writing your comment in french, s'il vous plaît:flowers:

Je suis désolé je ne comprends pas ce que vous avez écrit.

Souhaitez-vous me faire le plaisir d'écrire votre commentaire en français,

I think your suppose to write in English?
I believe Pierre is saying that you were lucky to be able to watch the arrival of the royals on television. :flowers:

The Queen, of course, looks stunning. Her gown is regal and as always, she radiates both warmth and dignity.

The men were all swoon-worthy, even the portly ones. Some of the ladies looked like they were wearing sacks, which is a shame since I'm sure that wasn't the "look" that they were going for.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #02, 2011.
Besøg fra hele verden - Visit from the whole world.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

One of the New Year Courts is for foreign diplomats in Denmark. Who on this occasion get to meet eachother, often dressed up in their national costumes, and also get to meet the current Danish Monarch and the successor. That's basically the whole point of this court, which is also a foreign political statement.

68 ambassadors and 36 charge d'affairs were present and along with spouses that amounted to a total 124 persons.

As always the diplomats lined up along the walls of the Knights Hall at Christiansborg according to seniority.
And as always the doyen of the diplomatic corps gave a speech on behalf of all the diplomats. That was this year the Mexican ambassador. Marthe Elena Barcena Coqui.
QMII returns the gesture by saying a few words of thanks in return.
Then all diplomats walk up and shake hands with the DRF, after which there is a reception.

2012 New Year's Court

January 1st, 2012 at 19:00
HM The Queen, HRH The Prince Consort, TRH The Crown Prince and Princess and HRH Prince Joachim

attend the Nytårskur and Nytårstaffel at Christian VII's Palace, Amalienborg.

January 3rd, 2012 at 09:50
HM The Queen, HRH The Prince Consort and TRH The Crown Prince and Princess
attend the New Year's Court for the Supreme Court Judges, the Royal Life Guards and the Guard House Regiment at Christian VII's Palace, Amalienborg.

at 11:30
HM The Queen, HRH The Prince Consort and TRH The Crown Prince and Princess
attend the New Year's Court for the Diplomatic Corps at Christiansborg Palace.

January 4th, 2012 at 09:30
HM the Queen, HRH the Prince Consort and TRH the Crown Prince and Princess
attend the New Year's Court for Officers from the Defence and Emergency Management Agency; the First, Second and Third Class Ranks;
and invited representatives of major national organisations and royal patronages at Christiansborg Palace.

Press Release from kongehuset.dk

Last edited:
And then January 8th, 2012...the 1st birthday of the twins...yay for Vincent and Josephine!

(Sorry JessRulz, I know you went to a lot of work with your post BUT you wrote '2011' (3 times) instead of 2012 which I think it should be?)

And then January 8th, 2012...the 1st birthday of the twins...yay for Vincent and Josephine!

(Sorry JessRulz, I know you went to a lot of work with your post BUT you wrote '2011' (3 times) instead of 2012 which I think it should be?)

It's their first birthday, they won't even know what's going on :lol: I don't if Jess has altered the post, but where are the 2011 bits?

Princess Mary in a gown this year will be my highlight. Isn't however Princess Marie due in January? I'm surprised she's attending.

Thanks for that Anna - I had copied the info from the post I did last year for the 2011 Court, changing the dates, but forgetting to change the year :whistling: The dates are now correct for 2012 - we don't really want to go back a year (although the reception cards for my deb ball in 2008 had the previous year's date on them...).

Lumutqueen, Princess Marie is due around January, but she is nonetheless listed on the press release. If my memory serves me correctly, Princess Mary was also initially listed on the press release for this year's Court, but didn't end up attending (understandably). So, I wouldn't be surprised if Marie's attendance is changed/cancelled a few days beforehand.

Yes, at the beginning she was attending but later court changed it.

:previous:
Hardly surprising considering her circumstances.
The big question now is whether she will have been giving birth before or after QMII's jubilee. I doubt we'll see her there as well.
My guess is that the next time we'll see our Marie at an official event will be at QMII's birthday in mid April, probably with a baby in her arms.
- And with the twins presumably being able to walk by then, it'll sure be crowded balcony!

At least Mary is hardly likely to miss more New Year Courts from being pregnant. Surely four is enough....

Last edited:
At least Mary is hardly likely to miss more New Year Courts from being pregnant. Surely four is enough....

My sentiments exactly ;)

Back
Top Bottom