Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A Prime Minister of Denmark wearing a Belgian Sash seems strange. (He likes to speak to the Press , the next guest had to wait in his car ) .
It remember me King Albert II asking before going to Denmark if the Elefant is to be seen front or back?

Probably that is newest highest Order. There where also several people with the icelandic sash.

Probably that is newest highest Order. There where also several people with the icelandic sash.

Yes, the Court Marshal was wearing Iceland's Order of the Falcon.

Tomorrow forenoon there will be two New Year Courts.

The second of them, then one at 11.30 will be of interest to us, as it is well covered by the press.

At present I don't know whether it will be covered live by DR1.
So also keep an eye on Billed Bladet and BT they may have a camera there.
I don't know if I will be able to post links tomorrow.

Anyway, let's go through the court for the diplomatic corps for new members.

The diplomats will often wear their national attire. It's very rare they get the opportunity to do that in public in foreign countries.
The diplomats will stand along the walls and greet the DRF in alphabetical order.

QMII will give a short speech where she will welcome the diplomats and wish them a Happy New Year.
In return the doyen (the one who has been ambassador in DK the longest) will on behalf of the diplomats give a short speech, wishing the DRF and Denmark a Happy New Year and thank QMII for her hospitality.
The formalities over the diplomats will be served coffee, tea or something similar as well as a cake very much used at New Year (*) while the DRF mingle.
This is one of the extremely few occasions all diplomats are gathered together - also from countries that are officially not on speaking terms...

(*) The cake is a Kransekage = ring-cake https://www.femina.dk/sites/femina.dk/files/media/article/1751-kransekage-med-chokolade.jpg.
https://dittejulie.dk/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/PC281933.jpg
It's not to my taste, I'm not particularly fond of marzipan.
Or the more practical variation to coffee.
https://i1.wp.com/copenhagenfood.dk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/kransekage.jpg?fit=1300,744
And the recipe in case anyone should wish to make one yourself.
https://nordicfoodliving.com/marzipan-ring-cake-kransekage/

----------------------------------------

Some photos from Svensk Damtidning that might interest you: https://www.svenskdam.se/kungligt/11-finaste-bilderna-fran-danska-kungafamiljens-festkvall/

Last edited:
I have to say - this year nobody really made my favorite appearance - all the ladies were some sort of OKish but not more..... I understood CP Mary's choice of the Edwardian tiara as the rubies would have clashed with the dress but..... Pr Marie's dress reminded me on some debutants here around and the Queen was splendid in her new favorite pink gown which is also not one of her best color matches.
Overall I am looking for some improvement next year? ;)

Last edited:
I wonder if the Icelandic sash was awarded to the recipients who wore it tonight during Margrethe's state visit to the country a couple of weeks before Christmas?

Mr Muhler , Prince Frederick wore black boots with his Uniform. is this correct ?

Last edited:
Yes Mary wore the same lovely grey gown as last year. But guess what ! Frederik wore the same umiform as last year! And Her Majesty wore the same gown. So whats the point of mentioning it Daily Mail.
I love all these New Year Courts seeing everyone all dressed up and especially seeing some of the traditional dress by the Ambassadors.

Some info for our new members. Re: Diplomatic reception - you can always tell that it is held in the magnificent Christianborg reception room. Because of the very colourful Taperstries that line the walls. These were a gift to Her Majesty for her 50 th birthday from the Chamber of Commerce. Made at the famous Gobelin factory in Paris. Originally there were eleven taperstries, then another six were made. I think I have that right.
Dear Muhler or another Dk member will correct me if not.
Barack Obama and Michelle were quite impressed by them during a visit several years ago.
Her Majesty does encourage the Ambassadors to wear traditional dress to the event.
Sadly Australians don't have traditional dress and our representative turned up looking like an unholy mess. That was many years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mind if I go back to the first evening ie , the New Year banquet. It is held in one of the most beautiful rooms in Europe. The Jardin room. Please correct me if I get it wrong, as I am relying on memory from many years ago having read it on these forums.
I remember reading the banquet is held in candlelight. Or may be they have changed this.
The magnificence of the gold leaf here would be dreamy in candlelight.

If I say pretty please could someone please post a link of this gorgeous room. For the sake of our new members.

Your wish is my command, Tarlita ?

Yes, the Taffelsal = Dining Hall is only lit up with candles at this dinner.
It's fairly small, so the atmosphere must be very intimate.
I guess the chandeliers are lit otherwise.

These photos are taken in daylight and doesn't give the room enough credit.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/49/7c/58/497c58ab56cc475ccc9103639cc470bd--palace-castle.jpg
http://www.kongernessamling.dk/content/uploads/2014/12/bronzer.jpg

But Riddersalen = the Knights Hall/Great Hall where the guests gather is beautiful as well:
https://minby.dk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/cav160831riddersalenfotopeter_noerby.jpg

Mang Tak. I knew I would get it mixed up its the Knights Hall I love.
Anyway I just feel with so many new members around a few more details added to the events would help them understand some of the subleties we have been taking for granted for so long. Ta.

I'm sure somewhere once the Danish Court gave us a video of the table being laid. I've looked for it but no luck so far.

Edit - think this is it?

Last edited:
It would be a dreamy experience dining by candlelight, gold braid and medals glittering in the soft dancing light. Jewels sparkling. Sigh.
Beats McDonalds anyday.

It sure does! :lol:

It seems like I made a mistake in my previous post. Taffelsalen (dining room) is not the room used at New Year. It's the Great Hall that is used.

Anyway, this brief documentary is interesting.
There are 75 seats.
In order to hold the tablecloth in place, felt is placed on the tables 24 hours prior to laying the table cloths. (A piece of advise that is worth saving I think.)
The plates and utensils are all made from silver. That was a thing QMII and PH (probably mostly PH! He would have been perfectly at home in a baroque court!) reintroduced.
The plates and utensils for the dessert are also made from silver. Except at the main table. There the twelve most distinguished guest each have a dessert plate and utensils made from gold. (The sound BTW is very different from silver utensils. More soft I imagine, alas I don't dine with gold cutlery...)
These sets are different, having been used by different monarchs. (Probably six sets for a queen and a king.)

The glasses are made by Holmegaard Glassworks.
Notice the green glasses for the white wine. Beforehand white wine had a tendency to be murky, so coloring the glasses helped disguising the murky wine.

The bread is placed in the napkin just prior to the doors being opened.

- I was a little surprised to see that they use matches, rather than a much more practical candle-lighter.
It also surprised my they didn't use gloves. I'm sure they wash their hands but after a couple of hours you are likely to leave fingerprints. Perhaps because the grip is better when not using gloves?

I remember there was a video about the setting up of the tables for this banquet on these forums. But it was a long time ago. However it was interesting.
The plastic ware at McDonalds has a very different sound too.
Just kidding. Who uses cutlery when dining a la . . .

A delightful video from BB of the last of the New Year Courts. - Including M&F.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ethe-i-guldkaret-til-sidste-nytaarskur-i-2019

Two gentlemen explain what is going on. The first is former Foreign Minister Uffe Ellemann, who explains that each are called in to say Happy New Year to QMII and M&F and perhaps a few words.
Then proceed on to get some refreshments and pastry.
Here the guests have a chat with each other before going home.

The second to explain is Count Ahlefeldt from Egeborg Castle. And sweetheart of Princess Nathalie of Berleburg.
He said it all starts with taking the uniform out of the closet and see if it still fits...
To him it's also a delightful tradition.

The guests are counts, courtiers, senior police officers and people who hold a senior order. Like the Grand Cross of a Commander of the Oder of Dannebrog.

----------------------------

And fanfare.

Here is Daily Mail with the story:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...Mary-wears-classic-navy-gown-fourth-time.html

Thus having saved in particular Iceflower's day, I can eat my dinner with a peace of mind.

I remember there was a video about the setting up of the tables for this banquet on these forums. But it was a long time ago. However it was interesting.
The plastic ware at McDonalds has a very different sound too.
Just kidding. Who uses cutlery when dining a la . . .

There is also an english dcoumentary from 1974 about the danish royal year which shows some scenes from inside the Dinner, like a young Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik greeting the guests and entering the Banquet Hall.

It used to by in the Archiv of Dr.dk but they have removed their royal Coverages who had been there so no idea if it sill can be seen online.

I always love looking at coverage of the Danish New Year Courts. Thanks to everyone who posted links to photos and articles!

Back
Top Bottom