Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
There is something about that we never get pictures of Margrethe, Frederik and Mary greeting the guests inside Christiansborg during the "Grand Court" today, right? We are always gets lots of pictures from the them greeting the guests inside Chistiansborg during the "Small Court" (like we saw yesterday). But during the "Grand Court" I think we only get pictures of them arriving to Christianborg.

A BB video from the last New Year Court: VIDEO: Dronningens sidste nytårskur | BILLED-BLADET

This is perhaps in particular for Danish members: It's pretty obvious that Christian Kjær and PH are close friends... :p

Christian Kjær is the... eh... well-build gentleman being interviewed several times in the video.
That uniform must have cost him a small fortune in bills at his tailor!
It must be the damp air in the area north of Copenhagen where he lives. It has a tendency to make clothes shrink, you know. ;)

Now I understand the Queen thinking she has to use a uniform for this events, or I should say she consider them as a work dresses but why not to change a little bit like Mary does?

Don't hold your breath on that one, Ashelen. Remember how often QMII has worn her Teletubby outfit. :D

Daily Mail on the latest New Year Court: Crown Princess Mary of Denmark wears plum cape again at New Year's Reception | Daily Mail Online
I thought about that but it is a cape , not the dress and she normally surprise us with the gowns, some times new ones some time re-done something different. Shows you the Queen is not into fashion, :ROFLMAO:! But it would be nice if she can shows some Danish designers to the world! Also I would like to see photos from the inside and the gowns with no cape/coat/shall/

Last edited:
BB has hit the streets and unsurprisingly there is a good deal of coverage of the Grand New Year Court and the court for the diplomats.

Not much new, but a little detail: The Iranian ambassador and his wife were the only one who did not offer his hand to the DRF, instead he bowed slightly.
At least he did not insult QMII and Mary by shaking Frederik's hand only. - IMO when in Rome...
It was the ambassador for the Ivory Coast who gave the speech on behalf of the diplomats as the doyenne.

Anyway, right after having delivered her New Year speech live at 18.00 QMII changed (I often suspect PH takes a lot more time figuring out what he is to wear... :p) and the Regent Couple went to a New Year party with some of their close friends.
This year the host was Bent Fabricius Bjerre and the theme this year was Olsen Banden (banden = the gang). Unquestionably the most beloved movie-criminals in Danish history.
They have a considerable fan-base in Germany as well.

QMII dressed up as the leading lady in the series, Yvonne. Who was known for always wearing large hats and very colorful outfits (even for the 70's!!). Yvonne also used to wear daisies as earrings. - Very appropriate.
I would have loved to see QMII's outfit, but alas, she wore a long coat and her hat in a bag.

But then we have PH, who showed up as the enforcer of the series. In DK named Bøffen = the Beef. In Germany he is better known as Dumme Schwein.
PH nailed it! They've got the same body-build, even though PH may not be able to down a beer in less than ten seconds.
PH also had some accessories in the shape of a large wrench, used in the movies to whack members of the Olsen Gang on the head and a beer in the other hand. A special beer, where the label depicted the gang. In fact he brought a case of such beers.

Anyway, see for yourselves here: BB #01, 2017

And here are the characters the Regent Couple based their costumes on.
First Bøffen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8yJCKMeH8w

And then Yvonne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z2Osmk2K1g
It is claimed Yvonne's jewellery and hats were inspired by QMII, who back then was well-known for her many and large hats. In that way the circle is complete.

Last edited:
Muhler, about the not shaking hands... It all depends on how it's done IMO. If you flatly refuse to shake a hand it's very insulting, but if you find an elegant way around it, it's no insult at all, I think.

I once had a business meeting with orthodox Jewish men (who won't shake hands with non Jewish females either - religious laws etc...). When I walked into to room I wanted to give the first gentleman I saw a hand, but he quickly opened his arms, gesturing where I could sit, pulling out a chair for me and offering me a drink. I loved it! And I also remember thinking "this is the way things can go as well". Such experiences have tought me not to think in extremes.

PS thanks for sharing BB with us once more!

Last edited:
The interesting thing tonight is Nikolai.
He has turned eighteen and is old enough to attend.
In what capacity will be interesting!

Will he come as a guest? Accompanying his mother?
Or will he join his father and our Marie?
Will he wear the Order of the Elephant?
Or will he stay away entirely?

The answer to these questions will be a clear indication as to his future role with the DRF.

It would be nice to see him attending but if he does i guess he would arrive with Joachim and Marie. Hs mother hasn't attended since her second marriage.
Has Benedikte ever attended the New Year's Copurt since her marriage? I thought that perhaps she would attend this year as she is now widowed but she isn't listed in the Calendar so i don't think she wil.

I´m not sure that the children of Prince Joachim will get the Elephant Order. They are "just" HH and not HRH.

I know that HH Prince Richard had the Elephant Order, but he was married to the second in line to the throne.

I´m not sure that the children of Prince Joachim will get the Elephant Order. They are "just" HH and not HRH.

I know that HH Prince Richard had the Elephant Order, but he was married to the second in line to the throne.

But Princess Elisabeth has it and her brothers have/had it also.

I wonder if Prince Nicolai will attend this years new years court now that he is 18 years old.

Anybody know?

But Princess Elisabeth has it and her brothers have/had it also.

I feel Princess Elisabeth and her brothers are a bit different because back then their father was the Arveprins, the future King until the changes in the succession,while the father of Nikolai, Felix, Henrik and Athena is "just" a junior Prince. That matters quite a lot in the "picking order" so to say.

Last edited:
I feel Princess Elisabeth and her brothers are a bit different because back then their father was the Arveprins, the future King until the changes in the succession,while the father of Nikolai, Felix, Henrik and Athena is "just" a junior Prince. That matters quite a lot in the "picking order" so to say.

Don't know when they got it but probably when they turned 18. By then the succession was already changed and they where further back in line. As far as i remeber also for example Prince Axel and hs brothers had it. And they where the son of Prince Vadlemar a younger son of a King.

Yes they got it late, but maybe sort of "soothing" things inside the family, to handle them with all égards etc.?

HKH Arveprins Knud af Denmark - Ridder af Elefantordenen 1912 (age: 12)
HKH Arveprinsesse Caroline-Mathilde af Danmark - Ridder af Elefantordenen 1960 (age: 48)
HH prins Ingolf til Danmark - Ridder af Elefantordenen 1961 (age: 21)
HH prinsesse Elisabeth til Danmark - Ridder af Elefantordenen 1962 (age: 27)
HH prins Christian til Danmark - Ridder af Elefantordenen 1963 (age: 21)

Last edited:
I wonder if Prince Nicolai will attend this years new years court now that he is 18 years old.

Anybody know?

According to the official guest list from the court he is not listed. Certainly not alongside the other DRF members.
But that may change. So we shall see tonight and hear the explanation I hope.

Because if he is not there, that means Joachim's children IMO are not destined to have a future role in the DRF, apart from attending the occasional family event.
In that case we will have to wait for Christian to turn eighteen before we will see a new face at the New Year Courts.

Yes they got it late, but maybe sort of "soothing" things inside the family, to handle them with all égards etc.?

HKH Arveprins Knud af Denmark - Ridder af Elefantordenen 1912 (age: 12)
HKH Arveprinsesse Caroline-Mathilde af Danmark - Ridder af Elefantordenen 1960 (age: 48)
HH prins Ingolf til Danmark - Ridder af Elefantordenen 1961 (age: 21)
HH prinsesse Elisabeth til Danmark - Ridder af Elefantordenen 1962 (age: 27)
HH prins Christian til Danmark - Ridder af Elefantordenen 1963 (age: 21)

I read somewhere that the Order of the Elephant was only recently awarded to female members of the DRF as well. So perhaps Caroline-Mathilde was among the first female recipients?

According to the official guest list from the court he is not listed. Certainly not alongside the other DRF members.
But that may change. So we shall see tonight and hear the explanation I hope.

Because if he is not there, that means Joachim's children IMO are not destined to have a future role in the DRF, apart from attending the occasional family event.
In that case we will have to wait for Christian to turn eighteen before we will see a new face at the New Year Courts.

I read somewhere that the Order of the Elephant was only recently awarded to female members of the DRF as well. So perhaps Caroline-Mathilde was among the first female recipients?
The rules were ammended in 1958 according to Wikipedia

Are you able to watch this link?

https://www.dr.dk/live/nyheder/live/2722288

The live link is the small screen, which can be viewed full screen without loosing too much details.
Right now the PM is giving his New Year speech.

Billed Bladet: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-sender-direkte-fra-dronningens-nytaarstaffel

And DR1

are now showing live from Amalienborg. - Two different camera angles.

The first guests should arrive about now.
The DRF members around 19.00, in about 30 minutes after this is posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Running commentaries.

There are no spouses invited for this court.
The spouses of the members of the government will be entertained at an event at the PM's official residence at Marienborg manor.

That means there are loads of uniforms tonight!
Gala is mandatory and for civilians the finest tux or gown.
Medals and sashes are as such also mandatory.

Notice how the officers salute the sentries as is correct.

Most of the those in uniform are civil servants or members of the court.

-----------------------

The uniformed gentleman with the staff receiving all the guests is the Chief of Court, he will welcome all. And inside the Master of Ceremonies (or other members of the court) will guide the guests along.

When Joachim arrives, command of the honor guard will formally be transferred to him as the highest ranking DRF member present. He will then inspect the honor guard and tell the officer in charge to carry on.
The Frederik arrives and takes command.
And finally QMII herself.

There are several very high ranking officers among the guests, but they are not to take command.

----------------------

Some of the guests were sashes. The sashes are not necessarily of Danish orders, but the highest order they have. That could very well be a high foreign order.

----------------------

The guardsmen are in their finest gala uniform, with the red tunic and a white cord attached to their bearskin caps. That was to prevent them from loosing the cap in battle.
When QMII arrives the fifer and drummer will play the Colour March, which doubles as a salute.

Last edited:
Mary and Frederik do look a little tired (jet-lagged/sun-burned); it makes them look older - but well, Frederik is turning 50 this year...

Back
Top Bottom