Counts Ingolf (b. 1940) and Christian (1942-2013) of Rosenborg and Families

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is an interesting article about the Change of the succession law and the realtions between the 2 famlies by historican Trond Norén Isaksen
Trond Norén Isaksen: The man who would be king

Interesting, thank you Stefan.
I didn't know that Ingolf had played such an active part in reconciling the two branches of the family.

I suppose one shouldn't judge prince Knud's reaction to the change of succession by today's norms - but still, it is strange to our modern concept of things that he should feel this bitter because the regent's own child was given the opportunity to succeed the king.

Last edited:
Thanks, Stefan :)
An interesting article.

It's also a testament on how times have changed, from a time where becoming a king was an ambition, to our time where becoming a king is a duty.

I've been wondering about this change as well, and especially Prince Knud's reaction to it.
Thanks a lot for the most detailed and interesting answers Viv, Zelia, Muhler, UserDane, and Stefan! :)

Muhler,UserDane,Stefan,thank you for such interesting information!
Despite the fact that I believe that Margrethe is great queen, I feel very sorry about Knud and his unfulfilled dream.
And it's very good that Ingolf could reconcile with his family .

The brothers are involved in public life? Do they have a public office or smth. like that?

Very interesting thread and informations.
Is it true that their sister Princess Elisabeth never marries because she did not want to loose her title of royal Highness ?

Is it true that their sister Princess Elisabeth never marries because she did not want to loose her title of royal Highness ?

It's my impression that Princess Elizabeth is not the marrying kind.

Alira. I think FasterB can answer your questions. :)

It has been mentioned in the media during the years - but whether it's correct, I don't know.
In this article from the tabloid BT - BT - it is said that the princess honestly admits that she loves the big royal parties and getting invited to them in her capacity as a princess and that this should be part of the reason why she hasn't married.

She hasn't lived her life as a single all the time though. She lived together with photographer and director Claus Hermansen for more than 20 years till he died in the late 90's.

HRH Princess Elisabeth has herself stated in an interview in Billed Bladet that she never got married to her lifelonglove Claus, because she didn´t want to give up the HRH Princess title :flowers:

IIRC then her wording was: "Dén skulle de ikke have" (Muhler, I don´t know how to translate this, can you help? :flowers:)

Last edited by a moderator:
HRH Princess Elisabeth has herself stated in an interview in Billed Bladet that she never got married to her lifelonglove Claus, because she didn´t want to give up the HRH Princess title :flowers:

IIRC then her wording was: "Dén skulle de ikke have" (Muhler, I don´t know how to translate this, can you help? :flowers:)

Sure. :)
It can best be translated as: "They weren't going to take that (her title) away from me".

I heard from elder family members that it was generally believed at the time that queen Ingrid advocated the change in the succession intensely and that there was some resentment on Knud's part against her for this - that this was the impression people had..
That's when Prince Knud dubbed her 'King Ingrid* :D! Well, the perception that Ingrid meddled resurfaced in a certain booked called '1015 K', issued some years ago - maybe some of you remember the author's involvement and the bashing on TRF?? Anyway, for what it's worth: The chapter on the the events leading up to the change of the succession was the only sector with a some documentation! IMO thse rumours will not go away as long as there still is someone - i.e. Knud's children! - to remind us of them!

Funny thing is - if Knud and his children had entered the succession: Ingolf has had no children, his older sister has never married and had children. The only children in that family are the three girls of the youngest brother Christian - twin girls and a younger sister..

Userdane, IMO this is one of the difficult 'what ifs'! Suppose the succession had not been changed: Prince Ingolf would probably not have married Inge Terney, but someone of royal descent and maybe Princess Elisabeth's stakes on the marriage market would have risen!
By the way I met her and Claus Hermansen at a reception many years ago, they were quite nice! He was almost a spitting image of her father!

viv

Very interesting informations about Prince Knud ’s Children.
Princess Elisabeth was a high level working Princess. Did her 2 brothers and spouses work? Thanks for answer. MO

All I can say is, thank god they changed the succession!

I will say though, that Princess Elisabeth seems like a relatively nice lady and I find it quite sweet that she enjoys her position as a Princess of Denmark. It's important to her and I find that endearing.

Last edited:
Userdane, IMO this is one of the difficult 'what ifs'! Suppose the succession had not been changed: Prince Ingolf would probably not have married Inge Terney, but someone of royal descent and maybe Princess Elisabeth's stakes on the marriage market would have risen!
By the way I met her and Claus Hermansen at a reception many years ago, they were quite nice! He was almost a spitting image of her father!

viv

Indeed, that is a what if. But if it is Ingolf who has not been able to have children, the outcome would be the same I suppose.

True, Claus Hermansen did have a strong resemblance to Prince Knud :) I have only met princesse Elisabeth once - when I almost ran her down with my shopping cart in a children's toy store some years ago! She was so gracious about that I instantly liked her!

Very interesting informations about Prince Knud ’s Children.
Princess Elisabeth was a high level working Princess. Did her 2 brothers and spouses work? Thanks for answer. MO

Ingolf is a farmer and bought an estate 'Egeland' ("Oakland") on the Jutland peninsula near the city of Kolding. He also receives an annual amount from the state as a compensation for the implications of the change of the line of succession. He also has a handful of patronages.

Christian is a naval officer, but now retired. He was mostly based in shore establishments.

Inge Terney was the farmer's wife. She died from cancer in 1996. Two years later Ingolf married Sussie Hjorhoy, a lawyer and still working as such. Anne-Dorthe, the wife of count Christian was always a housewife , as far as I know.
viv

All I can say is, thank god they changed the succession!

Yes, it was no doubt a change for the better! And yet - the way Prince and his family were demoted was unpleasant IMO- as demotions usually are;)! - Had the looks not been against Ingolf and had he appeared a bit brighter, well - the question is whether any change would have been instigated! Unfortunately Knud's children are results of too much inbreeding! On the plus side I seriously doubt that they are as slow as some has made them out to be.

viv

Question about the Counts of Rosenborg. I notice that some earlier Countesses who had married Danish princes were styled Her Highness, current ones are not. In particular this seems to be three of Prince Valdemar's daughters-in-law:

• Prince Aage's wife, Matilda Calvi
  • Prince Eric's wife, Lois Booth
  • Prince Viggo's wife, Eleanor Green

Why are they styled HH, and later countesses not? When did this change?

P.S. I see wikipedia lists 30 living count & countesses; how do they all fit in that tiny castle? ;)

Further to this question, why did the wife of HH Prince George Valdemar become Princess Anne of Denmark, but the wife of his brother HH Prince Flemming Valdemar merely became Countess Ruth of Rosenborg?

What about Count Christian who married Princess Benedicte Lady-in-waiting.
I think they are divorced but have children.
Which tiara do they have ?

Further to this question, why did the wife of HH Prince George Valdemar become Princess Anne of Denmark, but the wife of his brother HH Prince Flemming Valdemar merely became Countess Ruth of Rosenborg?
Because Prince Geroge got the Consent from the King for his marriage. Anne was a born Bowes-Lyon and therefore noble. have also read that King George VI. helped him to get permisson to marry her and keep his rights and Anne was a niece of the Queenmother. Flemming however married a commoner and lost his titles and succession rigths with the marriage.

Question about the Counts of Rosenborg. I notice that some earlier Countesses who had married Danish princes were styled Her Highness, current ones are not. In particular this seems to be three of Prince Valdemar's daughters-in-law:

• Prince Aage's wife, Matilda Calvi
  • Prince Eric's wife, Lois Booth
  • Prince Viggo's wife, Eleanor Booth

Why are they styled HH, and later countesses not? When did this change?

P.S. I see wikipedia lists 30 living count & countesses; how do they all fit in that tiny castle? ;)

Are Lois and Eleanor related?

Here are the names of the thirty Counts and Countess of Rosenborg that Wikipedia mentions:

- Count Ingolf of Rosenborg, a first cousin to Queen Margrethe.
- Countess Sussie of Rosenborg, Count Ingolf's wife and therefore a cousin-in-law of Queen Margrethe.
Countess Anne-Dorthe of Rosenborg, first cousin-in-law of Queen Margrethe. Now deceased.
- Countess Camilla of Rosenborg, Countess Anne-Dorthe's daughter.
- Countess Josephine of Rosenborg, Countess Anne-Dorthe's second daughter.
- Countess Feodora of Rosenborg, Countess Anne-Dorthe's third daughter.
- Count Ulrik of Rosenborg, a second cousin to Queen Margrethe.
- Countess Judi of Rosenborg, Count Ulrik's wife and therefore a second cousin-in-law to Queen Margrethe.
- Count Philip of Rosenborg, Count Ulrik's son.
- Countess Katharina of Rosenborg, a second cousin of Queen Margrethe.
- Countess Charlotte of Rosenborg, a second cousin of Queen Margrethe.
- Count Axel of Rosenborg, Count Flemming's son.
- Countess Jutta of Rosenborg, Count Axel's wife.
- Count Carl Johan of Rosenborg, Count Axel's son.
- Count Alexander of Rosenborg, Count Axel's second son.
- Countess Julie of Rosenborg, Count Axel's daughter.
- Countess Désirée of Rosenborg, Count Axel's second daughter.
- Count Birger of Rosenborg, Count Flemming's second son.
- Countess Lynne of Rosenborg, Count Birger's wife.
- Countess Benedikte of Rosenborg, Count Birger's daughter.
- Count Carl Johan of Rosenborg, Count Flemming's third son.
- Countess Lisa of Rosenborg, Count Carl Johan's wife.
- Countess Caroline of Rosenborg, Count Carl Johan's daughter.
- Countess Josefine of Rosenborg, Count Carl Johan's second daughter.
- Countess Désirée of Rosenborg, Count Flemming's daughter.
- Countess Karin of Rosenborg, widow of Count Christian.
- Count Valdemar of Rosenborg, Count Christian's son.
- Count Nicolai of Rosenborg, Count Valdemar's son.
- Countess Marie of Rosenborg, Count Valdemar's daughter.
- Countess Marina of Rosenborg, Count Valdemar's other daughter.

Does anyone know how often Queen Margrethe sees the Rosenborgs?

Here are the names of the thirty Counts and Countess of Rosenborg that Wikipedia mentions:

- Count Valdemar of Rosenborg, Count Christian's son.
- Count Nicolai of Rosenborg, Count Valdemar's son.
- Countess Marie of Rosenborg, Count Valdemar's daughter.
- Countess Marina of Rosenborg, Count Valdemar's other daughter.

Does anyone know how often Queen Margrethe sees the Rosenborgs?

Valdemar and Marina are siblings, aren't they?
Their father was Count Christian (Or did he use Count Valdemar?). They were children from his first marriage.

I don't know how often the Queen sees the Rosenborgs, but Valdemar and Marina af Rosenborg have been on the guest list of several private things at F&M's: Mary's 40th birthday, Frederik's also, christening of the twins etc.

I am sure most of you know this but I feel compelled to clearify that no one lives at Rosenborg. These days it serves as a museum. No counts and countesses of R have ever lived there. As I am sure you know the title was created for royals who by marrying without the consent of the King/Queen and the state council loose their royal privileges. Their title simply take it's name from the castle.

Rosenborg would indeed be very crowded if all the counts and countesses of R were living there:)

After the death of Count Christian and Countess Anne Dorte, it's time to vacate Sorgenfri Manor and distribute the inheritance, before Princess Elisabeth moves in.
In fact quite alot of the interiour, furnitures and what not will be auctioned off.

Of more interest to us are these scans of the interior of Sorgenfri Manor, complete with an assessment of the value of the depicted items:

https://app.box.com/s/r48mrqqqzdamfabb1wcj
https://app.box.com/s/2or8p21i2if5inkyf1c9
https://app.box.com/s/imhhg4yhr0qh36qyjbwu
https://app.box.com/s/l1eqqsohpvfbhv3dr5yn

Did Count Ingolf and his first wife Inge have a church wedding?

Huge and royal furniture at Sorgenfri Manor , I really hopr Prince Christian's daughters will not sell it.

Camilla and Josephine of Rosenborg presented gifts to children suffering from cancer at "Families with children with cancer", the annual Christmas event, at the Circus Arena in Slagelse on November 30:

** ppe gallery **

After the death of Count Christian and Countess Anne Dorte, it's time to vacate Sorgenfri Manor and distribute the inheritance, before Princess Elisabeth moves in.
In fact quite alot of the interiour, furnitures and what not will be auctioned off.

Of more interest to us are these scans of the interior of Sorgenfri Manor, complete with an assessment of the value of the depicted items:

https://app.box.com/s/r48mrqqqzdamfabb1wcj
https://app.box.com/s/2or8p21i2if5inkyf1c9
https://app.box.com/s/imhhg4yhr0qh36qyjbwu
https://app.box.com/s/l1eqqsohpvfbhv3dr5yn

Has the auction taken place?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Are Lois and Eleanor related?

Countess Anne-Dorthe of Rosenborg, first cousin-in-law of Queen Margrethe. Now deceased.
- Countess Camilla of Rosenborg, Countess Anne-Dorthe's daughter.
- Countess Josephine of Rosenborg, Countess Anne-Dorthe's second daughter.
- Countess Feodora of Rosenborg, Countess Anne-Dorthe's third daughter.
And to clearify: None of the daughters of Count Christian and Countess Anne-Dorthe are countesses.
Camilla, Josephine and Feodora all married a commoner with no titles and so the countesses lost their titles.

And to clearify: None of the daughters of Count Christian and Countess Anne-Dorthe are countesses.
Camilla, Josephine and Feodora all married a commoner with no titles and so the countesses lost their titles.

Afaik a Swedish noblewoman looses her title when marrying a commoner but can start using it again if divorced. Is that also the case in Denmark? Is the daughter of a count a countess in her own right or is komtesse an official title?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom