Countess Alexandra and Martin Jørgensen to Separate: September 8, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad news, indeed. I hope this decision makes Alexandra happy – no point in trying to maintain something that is unsustainable in the long run, especially not if it doesn't make you happy. I wish them both the best of luck.

What sad news..hopefully the boys will be alright. For the majority of their lives, Martin has been the "father-figure" they have lived with ..especially Felix, as he was only 2-3 when his parents divorce.

Note, Im in no why trying to say that Joachim has not been a great father.

but Martin has been the next "live-in" parent along with their Mother.
Now with Nikolai growing up and moving out, Felix will be alone with his mother at home. Lots of changes for someone young.

I wholeheartedly agree. A lot of things can be said about Martin but it's undeniable that Nikolai and Felix have been very fond of him and treated him like a second father.

Plus that Alandra has gotten some criticism for not working enough for her apanage, alternatively for getting an apanage.

Which is absolutely ridiculous IMO. If she did more engagements and took on more patronages, she would be criticised for trying to steal Marie's thunder. Alexandra really can't win either way and that's sad.

Perhaps, but that is typical Danish humor and it can be very harsh!
Lots of other jokes will surface the next few days...

"Danish humour" is a term often thrown around a bit too recklessly to get away with being unnecessarily rude because, oh, that's just "our" kind humour. Not only is there nothing funny about most "jokes" that have to be defended with an argument about it being "our" culture, to me, there's also nothing Danish about it.

Last edited:
I'm sad to hear this, but not terribly surprised: - I, too, thought they seem to be a bit of a mismatch. However, I certainly wish the best for everyone involved, especially the boys.

"Danish humour" is a term often thrown around a bit too recklessly to get away with being unnecessarily rude because, oh, that's just "our" kind humour. Not only is there nothing funny about most "jokes" that have to be defended with an argument about it being "our" culture, to me, there's also nothing Danish about it.

Oh yes, it is!
That's typical workplace humor, whether you work with men or women or mixed. If you can't handle that in a workplace you'll be in for a hard time.

It's also these kinds of not politically correct jokes, and lot worse, that are used in my family and most I know.
Buy heaven forbid we should offend anyone. Better say nothing, better not cracking jokes, because someone sitting in a cave in Tibet might be offended.

i just learnt that alexandra and martin are separating. i was always surprised about the age difference, but they seemed a strong couple.

What sad news..hopefully the boys will be alright. For the majority of their lives, Martin has been the "father-figure" they have lived with ..especially Felix, as he was only 2-3 when his parents divorce.

Note, Im in no why trying to say that Joachim has not been a great father.

but Martin has been the next "live-in" parent along with their Mother.
Now with Nikolai growing up and moving out, Felix will be alone with his mother at home. Lots of changes for someone young.

i don't think this will be a huge deal. felix, and nikolai, have strong loving parents and a tight knit family who will take good care of them, and their good relationship with their step parents, particularly with marie, is very much evident to me. i am sure this will not be a huge trauma, and felix will move on well with the support of the family. if their relationship with martin is close, i am sure that as responsible adults this will continue until they get over this period.

Martin always seemed to me like someone who would be a good rebound relationship for Alexandra - young, good looking, someone to have fun with for a little while to get her over the bad marriage and divorce from Joachim. But I think the "rule" about not marrying the rebound guy probably has some sense to it.
I always thought Alexandra would be best suited to someone her own age, maybe a little older - someone well off and/or well established in his own career, probably with children of his own. A person with more gravitas than Martin appears to have.

It is always sad when a couple divorce. But one thing for sure when the Royals want to keep something private they do! It is not surprise for the family and the kids, for them to divorce had to be a thought for some time now. The kids had known this for a while . The real reason we might never know, we can speculate nothing else. But one thing I must say , this is her second divorce so it is not very good publicity for her. I feel sorry for the kids, because I think the kids had a great reason with Martin

Last edited:
Oh yes, it is!
That's typical workplace humor, whether you work with men or women or mixed. If you can't handle that in a workplace you'll be in for a hard time.

It's also these kinds of not politically correct jokes, and lot worse, that are used in my family and most I know.
Buy heaven forbid we should offend anyone. Better say nothing, better not cracking jokes, because someone sitting in a cave in Tibet might be offended.

What a patronising comment, Muhler, that disappoints me (ikke vred, skuffet). Workplace humour? I've never experienced that in neither workplaces nor at my university and should I encounter it, I'll be sure to voice my opinion about it, but thanks for the concern ;) Sure, Danish irony can be harsh and us Danes have a knack for sarcasm and deadpan but there's also a very distinctive difference between that and downright abrasive "jokes". Those are not the norm where I come from and it lowkey offends me that it's labelled "Danish humour" – that kind of "humour" doesn't define me as a Dane. Also, political correctness is often spoken of as being bad, somehow, when, in reality, it's just fundamental consideration for your fellow human beings. I will never understand the need to make jokes at the expense of others

Last edited:
i don't think this will be a huge deal. felix, and nikolai, have strong loving parents and a tight knit family who will take good care of them, and their good relationship with their step parents, particularly with marie, is very much evident to me. i am sure this will not be a huge trauma, and felix will move on well with the support of the family. if their relationship with martin is close, i am sure that as responsible adults this will continue until they get over this period.

yes hopefully all is well. :flowers:
But for me it is a huge deal, no longer living and seeing everyday, someone that has been in your home for the past what 10 years?
Felix already had his brother move out, his only brother he has lived with, and now his step dad is gone too. Especially for a 13 year old.

But yes, hopefully all turns out well..

and for Alexandra, you know what they say, "third time is a charm" ;)

Perhaps knowing there was trouble in Alexandra and Martin's marriage could have influenced Joachim and Marie's decision to move to Copenhagen. Alexandra could have support from their father and step-mother with the boys.

Its very sad news, every divorce is a tragedy, in my opinion.

Not that I expected it, but it didn't surprise me.

I don't have much interest in either Countess Alexandra or Martin, but I wish the best for both of them. It is not fun, especially not as it's now the second time Alexandra get divorced. Let's hope the press doesn't go berserk. Both for them and for us (really don't bother to hear about fuss, the only one who know the reason why is themselves)
I concur. She and Joachim seemed to manage to be very discreet and caused no scandal when they separated and divorced. Here's hoping that whatever discord caused this break does not become tabloid fodder.

Whatever the cause, the children do not need their parents lives spread out for the world to dissect for their pleasure. Unfortunately, that will not stop public speculation.

What sad news. Hopefully they will get through this without too much media fuss for the sake of the children. I suppose now the boys are older and more mature it might not be too difficult for them, i'm sure they know they still have the support of their mother and father as well as a step-mother, grandparents and aunties & uncles. I'm sure if they still want contact with Martin they are old enough to be able to manage this by themselves.

It is all of a sudden but somehow it did not surprise me

I feel pity for Felix more than for Nikolai,Nikolai seems to have logical distance from all this fuss but Felix not so, anyway I hope they, especially boys do not suffer from this divorce

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Sad to hear, but I wish them well.

It's very sad for Alexandra, but I can't say I'm in the least surprised.:sad:

I must confess that I'm surprised at how much coverage and how big an interest there is in this divorce, not least since (or perhaps because of) there is a massive coverage of the migrant crisis in the news.

Right now everyone and everything is being asked to comment on why the divorce takes place. Including a couple's-therapeut. I include him because as a local celeb-therapeut he may have heard rumors which are being hinted in this interview.
Another one who was asked yesterday, was an old "friend" of Martin, who was taken by surprise, but since it was a month or two since the two spoke he can't be a particular close friend, so I ignore what people like he has to say.

Parterapeut: Derfor gik det galt mellem Alex og Martin - Royale | www.bt.dk
Here is what the therapeut has to say:
He basically puts it down to the age difference and a need by Martin to have a fun time.
"If you are to be nasty and very black and white, women's value on the market drops when they become older than 40, while men in the late 30's are highly sought after.
A 37 year old man is still a young man, while a 51 year old woman is very mature. That means his value on the market is peaking right now, while she has gone down-hill for a long time"
The therapeut, Martin Østergaard, adds that many men only consider themselves adults and and ready for children when they are around 40. But Alexandra is a neat, lovely and well groomed woman.

He ain't buying the thing about separating due to different basic values:
"Translated it means that Martin has begun to go to town/go downtown. He has begun to live a life that is not compatible to a comfortable and quiet family life. It smells big time of her being disappointed or sad that he has begun to live a life for himself. But it's natural that when you have been together for ten years that you develop in different directions. You may begin to negotiate and meet, but still it doesn't work out".

Then there are the children.
"Presumably he still feels like going out and nail it to the floor, while she perhaps would rather like to have a cozy time at home with a book. He may be fond of her children, but doesn't love them in the same way as she does. His life and her life has moved too much in different directions".

How about Martin now wishing to have children of his own and as such is on the lookout for a (fertile) partner? Perhaps.
"We know nada whether the decision has anything to with age. Perhaps they haven't even talked about it among themselves because it's too taboo and vulnerable subject, but nevertheless it can be an issue".

- Well I think I can summarize what the therapeut means in one sentence, but I shall refrain from doing so here...

Last edited:
I've always thought a relationship where the woman is a lot older than the man isn't meant to last (of course there will be plenty exceptions...)

In Martin & Alexandra's case: a woman who's in or nearing menopause and a man who's still in the midst of his adult virility ... Those are two very different stages in life no matter how hip, sporty, attractive, ambitious you both are. I've always thought that this is indeed the point where a couple like M & A needs to be very solid to stay together.

I find it a bit low of Alexandra to say "it was my decision", as if she can't bear people thinking he broke up with her. On the other hand, it could also be the media formulating it this way. You never know with the press!

It'll be interesting to hear from the Danes how people in Denmark respond to the news. How was this couple perceived so far and does the separation come as a surprise?

Martin all these years he don't work at all?

:previous: Well, judging from the comments I have seen and heard. The divorce doesn't come as a surprise. The timing yes, but not the actual divorce and that is basically because of the reasons you pointed out, Hannelore.

M&A are hardly showered in sympathy though. The children get sympathy, but not M&A.

Alexandra's star has been falling in recent years, mainly because people are asking why she should have an apanage in the first place and because people don't feel she is doing enough work for the money she does get.
Over the years she has slowly been reduced to a celeb, who happens to be mother of two Princes, rather than a former royal. And that is IMO understandable, since Joachim has remarried.
Few however have bad things to say about her from when she was a member of the DRF

Martin hardly register on the public radar. And when he does it's with limited respect. Which is understandable in a society where you are defined by your work.

Whether there will be a kind of backlash or rather a general vindication of Joachim remains to be seen. The sentiment being: One divorce (even within a royal family) that can happen to anyone. But two divorces? Ooookay, but it's the beginning of a bad habit.

In short: Unless in turns out Martin has been very busy around town, and preferably kicked the dog every morning at 07:36, Alexandra will not become more popular from this IMO.

Last edited:
Martin all these years he don't work at all?

He worked in the beginning of the marriage.
But in recent years he has been investing and some projects failed, others must have gone well enough.
Whatever, he certainly could afford not to have a regular job.

Whether he lived mainly from his own money or was subsidized by Alexandra, I have no idea.
He certainly didn't have to worry about the mortgage.

Last edited:
I always find the reactions to an older woman with a younger man rather curious. The other way around is completely normal and accepted (I don't remember simular remarks about the present king and queen of the Belgians for example). But if the woman is older, a relationship is doomed from the start, the man is a toyboy who is maintained by his wife (wives living of their husbands money seems completely normal and in some cases encouraged), the countess was naive, a divorce is not a surprise etc etc. As if we are still living in 1965.

I do not know much about this couple and what was stated may have been the case, but there are a lot of relationships that do work despite a substantial age difference or where the woman provides the largest part of the income.

The statement of the countess is remarkable indeed and leaves the door open to all sorts of speculations. A simple 'we grew apart' would have been more than enough. Since a divorce is never a happy occassion I find the gloating and the jokes rather misplaced.

Last edited:
Back then, the present King and Queen of the Belgians both had their very first serious relationship. Neither Philippe de Belgique nor Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz had any other partner before.

In this case a mother of two children started a new relationship with a younger partner - and ended it. I think the "frame" is not only the age difference.

For the record: Mathilde had a relationship with a Belgian nobleman before and the then-duke of Brabant had at least one relationship before and allegedly more. Likewise I do not recall anybody questioning the age difference of prince Claus and Pss Beatrix. However, none of them were married or engaged before indeed, so there is a difference. It doesn't explain the double standards in the perception of age difference IMHO.

Last edited:
Heu... that is new for me that Philippe and Mathilde have had relationships before. Who was the lady with whom Philippe was in a romantic liaison then?

I agree that there are some double standards regarding age differences between ladies and gentlemen but that is personal. For myself in general I find a "mismatch" in ages equally noticeable, no matter the gender of the eldest one.

So I guess Martin is the one who will suffer the most from this divorce. He may even have to work now.

:lol:

Martin reminds me of Jon Gosselin of Jon and Kate Plus Eight fame here in the U.S. (a reality show).

The historian and DRF expert Lars Hovbakke Sørensen is always asked whenever there is something remotely involving the DRF.

He doesn't say anything new to me, but I think what he has to say is worth posting here nevertheless.
Kongehus-ekspert: Skilsmissen sender signal om et ustabilt og tumultarisk liv - Royale | www.bt.dk

"Countess Alexandra is no longer considered a part of the DRF, but when she divorces for the second time it sends out a signal of an unstable and tumultuous life which can make people rethink whether we should continue giving her an apanage.
That she is getting divorced for the second time can also induce/influence the politicians to take up the discussion as the whether the apanage is still in order/relevant.

She has not been a part of the DRF for many years and that's why her role - or lack of it - will not matter and as such will not harm the DRF.
It can generate more sympathy for Prince Joachim that she is now also divorcing Martin Jørgensen".

Lars Hovbakke does not believe it will have an immediate impact on the few protections she still has. These she got because she was married to Joachim (as a member of the DRF):
"When you divorce for the second it is as mentioned before a signal about instability in the family life and that can make some more skeptical and critical and make the number of protections decrease faster than they would otherwise".

Hovbakke Sørensen believes there is a possibility that Alexandra may move abroad: "She originally has an international business background, so you cannot rule out that she will go abroad. Her only role here at home and in connection to the DRF is today that she is mother to Nikolai and Felix. She is more and more sliding into the background as she is having ever fewer protections".

I'm a bit shocked, but also not shocked in the most respectful way possible...

I wish the both of them all the best, perhaps Alexandra will find her true love in the near future! I have a feeling Martin will remain a bachelor for the next years to come.. I could be wrong, it'll be interesting to see what comes next for them.

Such a sad thing for the boys to deal with though at this age, I'm sure they are having a hard time. I highly doubt it's going to be easy when your family issues are made public by the media. Whether Nikolai is away at private school or not, some of you guys don't seem to realize that all his classmates, roommates, teachers and so on have likely heard about this news by now. Whether or not he's at home he still can't avoid this. Divorce is never that easy for anyone's children

Back
Top Bottom