Costs, Income, Fortune and Expenditures of the Danish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, isn´t it entirely her own business what she does with the money she gets? As long as she looks in order and the staff is paid she can do what she wants. ´The Danish taxpayer´ pays her for representing Denmark but that doesn´t mean that a royal has to spend the money the way taxpayers want them to! She can throw all the money in the sea for all I care, it is her money!

The life of any public servant is paid for by taxpayers, do they have to awnser to them too? Sure, Mary gets more money than the average Danish public servant, but that doesn´t give anybody the right to know about her private financial behavior (apart from the tax-office).

But you (ricarda) have a point that overspending isn´t a wize thing to do, PR wize. In my own country the Queen prefers Volvo´s and Fords over more expensive cars, to evade the image of a flashy moneyspending family. I gather that the Danish royals wouldn´t like their image to be that of jetsetting and overspending people either, but IMO that doesn´t seem to be the case. The amount of money that Mary spends on clothes should be more or less the same as her European ´collegues´ (or maybe even less than some as she doiesn´t wear the most expensive couture of Valentino and such), their house doesn´t seem too lavish (compare it to Laeken Palace where the Belgian CP-ly couple are living). Redecorations/restaurations of old buildings usually brings high costs, so it is hardly surprising that a palace where nothing changed for about 50 years will have a lot of costs and works. Some of the public will grumble about that indeed, like they do in Norway whenever Queen Sonja restaures anything, or in The Netherlands when Queen Bee had the palaces in The Hague restaured etc etc.

It would be my guess (and that is all it is) that Frederik and Mary don't see it as mine and yours, but ours.

They 'seem' to be a couple who think as a partnership and though Mary is accorded her own official sum of money from Frederik's income, I just get a feeling that much of the sum allocated to the Crown Princely couple is shared and distributed, dare I say it, evenly (I could of course be wrong).

We musn't forget that the money they receive also pays the wages of their staff and the upkeep of their household.

$5000 a day? What a rediculous allegation. Anything substantiative to support it, because for the past 6 or so months there's seemed to be nothing but media dribble... which I'm hopeful no one actually takes seriously and without factual precaution.

Last edited:
She has done quite a bit as Crown Princess, so far, and to nit pick everything she does seems frivolous and, to be blunt, pointless (equally so by counting as well as sorting photo by photo how many times she has recycled particluar skirt or top.) I mean, why?

Finally, it's not a competition as to who recycles more often and thus they are the better woman for doing so (and I'm not saying you said that, Fashionista:).)

Essentially, are there more important issues to discuss like Mary's involvement with the Danish Heart Association and/or her three day Basic Military training stint to name a few.

:)[/quote]

I think it is fun to track her clothes. It's a fantasy, part of the fairytale. After a very stressfull day, it's my bit of fluff to make me relax and enjoy. I think that is why people do it. Why must everything be so serious.

No, you are correct. It is not a competition. But Mary seems to bear more critique than most about everything.

Yes, there are other issues and we do discuss them. But sometimes, you need to discuss fun topics too. I live some of the things Mary is patron of, so for me why get bogged down in my life when I can escape with fun stuff?

As far as I can remember the 25.000,- dkk was the amount she was wearing on a particular day. Not the amount she spends.

Besides she often does wear garments from danish designers, that - all though not ordinary medium prized chain brands, they are in reach for many non-rich people who does not suffer from the quantity over quality syndrome.

:)

Now, if there is an official list, with every single receipt for all the clothes, detailing every single minute item (including black panty hose) which notes she did indeed fork over that much money a day, then there is a problem.

See Tricota's post #234 above:

"Actually they know pretty accurately because the royal family do not pay VAT, or rather it is refunded once a year. And in order for it to be refunded, they ofcouse have to show proof of purchase in the form of some kind of receipt. And the amount is, I believe, at least semi public record.

So its not just guessing..."

This would not include all the purchases Mary did in London or Milan, as we all know she did frequent. So the media does have a way to get a partial picture.

Some posters have been insisting that Mary got most items for free or at a highly discounted price (which I doubt). But we're talking about image issue here, not accounting accuracy. The public has no way of knowing such under-the-table arrangements. All they see is that Mary is wearing top designers' outfit day-in and day-out. They could get the price of a Hugo Boss's dress or a Prada dress from a fashion magazine. They would assume Mary paid the ticket price. They would start wondering the money she spent on clothes, just like some tabloid press had done. In PR, perception is reality.

'Top designers' outfit day in and day out' - LOL. You never do give it a rest do you? :D Keep up the good work :lol:

See Tricota's post #234 above:

"Actually they know pretty accurately because the royal family do not pay VAT, or rather it is refunded once a year. And in order for it to be refunded, they ofcouse have to show proof of purchase in the form of some kind of receipt. And the amount is, I believe, at least semi public record.

So its not just guessing..."

This would not include all the purchases Mary did in London or Milan, as we all know she did frequent. So the media does have a way to get a partial picture.

Some posters have been insisting that Mary got most items for free or at a highly discounted price (which I doubt). But we're talking about image issue here, not accounting accuracy. The public has no way of knowing such under-the-table arrangements. All they see is that Mary is wearing top designers' outfit day-in and day-out. They could get the price of a Hugo Boss's dress or a Prada dress from a fashion magazine. They would assume Mary paid the ticket price. They would start wondering the money she spent on clothes, just like some tabloid press had done. In PR, perception is reality.

I did see that. And, hey, thanks for pointing that out. Again.

But Mary seems to bear more critique than most about everything.

It does seem that way, and why?

Much talk is made of Mary's wardrobe yet if you look at Maxima's for example, her wardrobe is stacked to high heaven with designer clothing, and much of the time wears a new hat for almost every occasion (Note: I do quite like Maxima and am not speaking poorly of her).

And the undisputed reigning Queen (literally) of fashion, Queen Rania, is not chastised as vigorously as is Mary. If you go through the Queen Rania evening gown threads you will notice how almost everything worn by Her Majesty has been worn only once thus far.

Last edited:

Much talk is made of Mary's wardrobe yet if you look at Maxima's for example, her wardrobe is stacked to high heaven with designer clothing, and much of the time wears a new hat for almost every occasion (Note: I do quite like Maxima and am not speaking poorly of her).

And the undisputed reigning Queen (literally) of fashion, Queen Rania, is not chastised as vigorously as is Mary. If you go through the Queen Rania evening gown threads you will notice how almost everything worn by Her Majesty has been worn only once thus far.
I think you are right most of them they use all this designer clothing and like you said about Maxima she has a new hat fro almost every occasion. I wonder were she put all of them, she must have a huge dressingroom for all of clothing and hat, but I must say she use several times the shoes.

Key word: Seem.

I couldn't agree more Madame Royale :) IMO Mary could be 'forgiven' for having roughly the same wardrobe as her fellow princesses if only she would have the decency to look like crap in it!;) Then her adversaries could focus on the numerous ways she re-uses her wardrobe and criticise her for that. Instead she looks elegant and is good at combining her wardrobe pieces in news ways - an unforgivable crime:D

As to Rania... well, judging from the pictures of her wardrobe - and combining this with the criticism such a wardrobe would trigger had it been e.g. Mette-Marit or - God forbid - Mary! - I must conclude that Rania is the queen of a country which is so rich, stable and economically well-balanced for all that it's citizens must be in a state of near-permanent bless! Otherwise some of Mary's most vocal opponents in the dress department would surely comment on Rania - wouldn't they?

Dutch RF is known to be one of the wealthiest among royals. Rania did get flaks for spending so much on wardrobe in Royal Blue, but this is Mary's forum, isn't it? So why drag other royals into this?

Rania did get flaks for spending so much on wardrobe in Royal Blue

I wouldn't know, I wasn't part of a forum which boasted a malicious reputation.

...but this is Mary's forum, isn't it? So why drag other royals into this?

Yes, last time I 'checked' it was a thread dedicated to Mary. Though in correlation with my point, and addressing the often clear prejudice which takes place amongst such a discussion, I found it pertinent to highlight the argument as not a singular, but collective issue which involves not one, but most European Crown Princesses and even a Queen. If you care to taint one with the brush of frivolity then you (genercially speaking) cannot disassociate one from the other because to do so is particularly foolish and without justification. They all own large amounts of designer clothing and they all spend their government approved remunerations.

Last edited:
The posts in the thread ´Mary on Magazine covers´ that discuss Mary´s supposed clothing expenses have been moved to a new thread. In this thread ´Costs, Income, Fortune and Expenditures of the Danish RF´ we can discuss all the financial issues concerning the Danish Royal Family.

But a Danish crown princess doesn't have the drawing power a Hollywood star has. She may be valuable for Danish designers, but international designers such as Prada? I'm not sure. Maxima paid for her Valentino gowns. Why would Prada give something to Mary for free when her name recognition is very limited on the world stage? Plus, royals belong to the small group of people who actually can afford haute culture. If top designers give clothes to these people for free, where do they make money from? BTW, most top designers who give stars gowns to wear for the Oscar actually ask for the gowns back after the show. It's a "loan", not a free gift.

Plus, it's okay for Hollywood actors/actresses to act greedy. Is it really acceptable for royals to accept freebies when they are already on taxpayers' dime? Nancy Reagan's accepting free gowns from designers caused a scandal in the US. Aren't royals in the same boat? Royals, and politians' wives, are held to a higher standard than actresses.

It's true that a Danish crown princess doesn't have the same promoting power as Hollywood stars.
But I want to make it clear that celebrities from other parts of the world, who are usually famous only in their native lands, also get free gifts and loan gowns for free from the top-notch designers like Prada, Valentino or whoever.
Those usually come from the local representatives of the brands, not straight from the designers.
Well, those representatives work to promote and sell the stuffs within a country where Hollywood stars are not THE most popular.

But I agree with you on that these designers make profts majorly from a very small group of people on the top, so they may not want to gift free stuffs too often.

To come back to Mary, I agree with many of you that she dresses very well, but as a tax-receiver, she should be little more careful I think.

Last edited:
This is my first post so I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered but I was wondering where the the Danish royal family falls as far as wealth among the european monarchies?

This is my first post so I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered but I was wondering where the the Danish royal family falls as far as wealth among the european monarchies?

I just came back from Denmark where I went to a lot of museums, castles and so on related to to the royal family (including seeing the whole family:flowers:) and I was told when I visited the royal reception rooms that the family is not rich at all. They are one of the poorest among the royal families in Europe.

Aha, the royal finances! It is impossbile for the Danes to get ANY clue as to how rich or poor the Danish Royal Family is. The Danish taxpayer foots the bill, but is not allowed access to the royal accounts. Why the secrecy?

Well, isn't their own fortune their own business? AFAIK the private finances are private for everybody, so also for royals.
Their dotation from the state is known I believe, and the court has an annual report. At least that is said here in my country, where parlament uses the Danish (and Norwegian) monarchy as an example for clear finances (and they push the Prime Minister to do the same here).

I couldn't agree more Madame Royale :) IMO Mary could be 'forgiven' for having roughly the same wardrobe as her fellow princesses if only she would have the decency to look like crap in it!;) Then her adversaries could focus on the numerous ways she re-uses her wardrobe and criticise her for that. Instead she looks elegant and is good at combining her wardrobe pieces in news ways - an unforgivable crime:D

As to Rania... well, judging from the pictures of her wardrobe - and combining this with the criticism such a wardrobe would trigger had it been e.g. Mette-Marit or - God forbid - Mary! - I must conclude that Rania is the queen of a country which is so rich, stable and economically well-balanced for all that it's citizens must be in a state of near-permanent bless! Otherwise some of Mary's most vocal opponents in the dress department would surely comment on Rania - wouldn't they?

I hear what you are saying, and am amused by your sense of humour. One thing that I am aware of since joining TRF is that Mary seems to attract alot of criticsm (incl my own) as she seems so unnatrual and always tries to better others. And that is why Maxima and Rania get away with it as they are not percieved by the public in the same way. It could all be rubbish, and Mary is probably a wonderful person, yet even looking at a clip of her from news yesterday, there seems to be something very fake about her manner. The only time she revealed her proper self was when she spoke about her late mother on the pre wedding documentary. Maxima, Rania, Mette Marit all have something refreshing about their manner, so they get bashed less!

I just came back from Denmark where I went to a lot of museums, castles and so on related to to the royal family (including seeing the whole family:flowers:) and I was told when I visited the royal reception rooms that the family is not rich at all. They are one of the poorest among the royal families in Europe.

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that the Queens personal fortune is somthing like 15 million Danish Kroner (about 2 million euros)

They dont really that much in tearms of houses or palaces, Marselisborg and Château de Cayx being the only once, and they really are not that rich in tearms of fortune.

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that the Queens personal fortune is somthing like 15 million Danish Kroner (about 2 million euros)

They dont really that much in tearms of houses or palaces, Marselisborg and Château de Cayx being the only once, and they really are not that rich in tearms of fortune.

Well, we don't really know, do we? I am in favour of far more transparency, when it comes to royal finances. Not to pry, but to get a fair picture of what a monarchy costs and how best to spend the money. If we had transparent royal account maybe we could also get rid of also those wealthy parasites, who pay for access to the Danish Royal Family?:flowers:

Well, isn't their own fortune their own business? AFAIK the private finances are private for everybody, so also for royals.
Their dotation from the state is known I believe, and the court has an annual report. At least that is said here in my country, where parlament uses the Danish (and Norwegian) monarchy as an example for clear finances (and they push the Prime Minister to do the same here).

We could let their personal fortune be their own business by clearly SEPARATING their civil list annuities from ther personal expenditures, BUT as you will se in the annual report from the palace in Copenhagen, there is a post devoted to "personal expenditure." The palace is clearly not making that differentiation. I am shocked to hear that your parliament uses ours royal finances as a example to be upheld. The perception is that the Danish monarchy is SO modern. It is far from the truth. Actually our recent monarch and her family is further removed from their people than the family was a generation ago...but thats a discussion for another thread! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we don't really know, do we? I am in favour of far more transparency, when it comes to royal finances. Not to pry, but to get a fair picture of what a monarchy costs and how best to spend the money. If we had transparent royal account maybe we could also get rid of also those wealthy parasites, who pay for access to the Danish Royal Family?:flowers:

Whatever they get from the state is already public, so I dont know what more you want. We are talking about their personal fortune, and that is private, just like it is for everyone else.

As for those who pay to get acces; it has always been that way and always will be. Without the contribution of private and corporate money, it would be much more expensive for the state. I honestly have never understud what the problem is with that. Even the royal family knows that too much of that, may leed to criticism and newspaper articles, mainly from those who both believe the cost for the state is too high, and that they should not reseve any favors from companies...

I hear what you are saying, and am amused by your sense of humour. One thing that I am aware of since joining TRF is that Mary seems to attract alot of criticsm (incl my own) as she seems so unnatrual and always tries to better others. And that is why Maxima and Rania get away with it as they are not percieved by the public in the same way. It could all be rubbish, and Mary is probably a wonderful person, yet even looking at a clip of her from news yesterday, there seems to be something very fake about her manner. The only time she revealed her proper self was when she spoke about her late mother on the pre wedding documentary. Maxima, Rania, Mette Marit all have something refreshing about their manner, so they get bashed less!
I tend to disagree with you about Mary. I don't think that she is fake in her manner in any way -- in fact I can sympathize with her nature as held that same "quietness" in public when I was young. It was not false; just not flamboyant and attention seeking. Didn't need it. Clothes and looks did it quietly and got the same results without ourwardly trying. It is her personality and nature (quite different from her M-I-L in looks and dress) so I think she is just going to be fine. She is still feeling her way in a strange country, remember. I am living in a different section of the USA from my origions and still can't adapt to all their odd customs here! I hope that she doesn't change just because others find her too "quiet and reserved" for their taste. Believe me, in the long run, her decorum will shine through -- just like the class that Queen Elizabeth II did when she was young and people thought she should "loosen up a bit like Margaret" -- how wrong they all were!

I think you're recalling the TIME Europe 2002 article about the individual wealth of reigning royal houses. The magazine assigned a worth of $15 million USD, which the Danish royal court said was "too high" without giving a figure. But the magazine was talking in USD, not Kroner, which would make the Danes impoverished by comparision.

The Copenhagen Post reported in 2007 that the Queen receives 67 million Kroner for herself and staff etc. Prince Henrik gets 7 million Kroner, Frederik gets 16 million for staff etc, and Mary gets 2 million kroner. Lets not forget Mary has to build up a working wardrobe and the palace receives a lot of free stuff for her such as handbags, shoes etc. Copenhagen Post also says if she were a brand then Mary generates 12 billion kroner for the country, in tourism, magazine sales, fashion etc.
As for worth - the pic accompanying QEII's jubilee with other Queens and Kings includes their private worth. It is called Richest Royals of 2004.
Queen Margrethe 15 million euro's.
Queen Beatrix 400 million euro's (largest shareholder of Royal Dutch Shell)
Queen Elizabeth 4 millarden euro's (which I assume is billion. owns Rio Tinto etc.)
Henri of Luxumbourg 5 millarden euro's ( income probably from banking)
King Juan Carlos 10 million euro's
King Carl Gustaf 25 million euro's
King Albert Belgium 20 million euro's
King Harald 150 million euro's (owns part share of North Sea Petroleum)
These amounts can only be conservative estimates. For instance Queen Elizabeth's collection of art which she owns is valued at 7 billion pounds.
But the Danes and Mary have no reason to worry about overspending as Mary's and the Queen's biggest supporter is billionaire Maersk McKinny Moller. He will always be ready to bail out the monarchy. But I see the Danish monarchy as being very conservative and careful with their spending.
If I were in Denmark and the Crown Prss were to attend something and I was in the crowd, I would feel very excited to see her wearing something different and lovely. If she turned up wearing something I had seen 3 times before I might be a little disappointed.:sad: But hey thats just me.:flowers:

The Copenhagen Post reported in 2007 that the Queen receives 67 million Kroner for herself and staff etc. Prince Henrik gets 7 million Kroner, Frederik gets 16 million for staff etc, and Mary gets 2 million kroner. Lets not forget Mary has to build up a working wardrobe and the palace receives a lot of free stuff for her such as handbags, shoes etc. Copenhagen Post also says if she were a brand then Mary generates 12 billion kroner for the country, in tourism, magazine sales, fashion etc.
As for worth - the pic accompanying QEII's jubilee with other Queens and Kings includes their private worth. It is called Richest Royals of 2004.
Queen Margrethe 15 million euro's.
Queen Beatrix 400 million euro's (largest shareholder of Royal Dutch Shell)
Queen Elizabeth 4 millarden euro's (which I assume is billion. owns Rio Tinto etc.)
Henri of Luxumbourg 5 millarden euro's ( income probably from banking)
King Juan Carlos 10 million euro's
King Carl Gustaf 25 million euro's
King Albert Belgium 20 million euro's
King Harald 150 million euro's (owns part share of North Sea Petroleum)
These amounts can only be conservative estimates. For instance Queen Elizabeth's collection of art which she owns is valued at 7 billion pounds.
But the Danes and Mary have no reason to worry about overspending as Mary's and the Queen's biggest supporter is billionaire Maersk McKinny Moller. He will always be ready to bail out the monarchy. But I see the Danish monarchy as being very conservative and careful with their spending.
If I were in Denmark and the Crown Prss were to attend something and I was in the crowd, I would feel very excited to see her wearing something different and lovely. If she turned up wearing something I had seen 3 times before I might be a little disappointed.:sad: But hey thats just me.:flowers:

QEII owns Rio Tinto, I have never heard of that before.

As for European Royal wealth atm it stands as.

6. Hans Adam of Liechenstein = $3.5 Billion which is €2,613,148,469
9. Albert 11 of Monaco = $1.0 Billion which is €746,698,049
12. Queen Elizabeth II = $450 Million which is €335,918,361
14. Queen Beatrix = $200 Million which is €149,249,180

Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Sweden, Spain nor Luxembourg even make the top 15. :ermm:

But if Mary/Marie/Margrethe wore new gowns to every single event, yes we'd be happy, seeing a new gown every week. But they'd be criticised for over spending on clothes.

Margrethe = $10 Million which is €7,462,459
Carl-Gustav = $9 Million which is €6,716,213

There has been some debate about how much the DRF cost annually here in DK. Not least the republicans are eager to discuss that.

And you can see their point until you break it down.
If you look at the money they recieve from the state it amounts to around 100 million DKK. (I've included Joachim).

If you add expences for transport, security, lifeguard, royal yacht, maintanaince of palaces and so on, the highest total estimate I've seen so far reach around 250 million DKK.
A lot of money - but, The Royal Lifeguard Regiment: The conscripts needs military training anyway and guard duty and drill is a part of that. And add to that, that the guard duty is genuine military guard duty. The soldiers are issued live rounds and are under order to use force if need be. Indeed thay have fired warning shots beforehand. The alternative would be to have police officers or hired security guards instead - and that's not cheap!
The royal yacht: An X number of conscripts do service on a ship every year. The alternative to Dannebrog would be a warship, which would just as expensive. Especially as you can hardly send a ship with a large consignment of conscripts out on a mission, hunting say pirates.
Transport, in this case with the Airforce helicopters and light transport planes: Well, the government ministers and high ranking officers use them as well and the crews needs an X number of hours in the air anyway, so they might just as well transport members of the DRF, while they are up there. - Rescue missions still have priority.
Palaces: They are often protected property and all, except Marselisborg, are owned by the state, so they would need maintanaince anyway.

Anyway, if you divide 250 million DKK, with roughly 5 million taxpayers, (I have exempted roughly 400.000 or so, who do not pay taxes), you get about 50 DKK for each taxpayer a year.
To put that into perspective: 50 DKK is what a pizza costs, or 0.5 L beer at a fairly expensive restaurant, or two 0.5 L beers at a local inn, or 4.5 L of gas/petrol.

That's not particularly expensive in my world. I think I can do without a pizza a year, or two for that matter. :p

I have no idea how big a private fortune the DRF has. I understand that they are fairly poor compared to other European royals.
I might add that King Carl Gustav lost a lot of money in the connection with the financial crisis.
I understand that Joachim is pretty well off and that he has a bigger fortune than Frederik. (Joachim appear to be a competent businessman). I cannot verify that for sure though.

Mary finances

It appears that Mary and Fred received a lot of money as wedding gifts. And over the years they have put this money to use in things such as starting up the Mary Foundation. They haven't used this money for themselves in a personal way. Would it not be too difficult then to assume that someone put some money into a couture house as a credit for Mary to draw on to buy her wardrobe. Obviously she pays for Prada etc but I think a lot of her daywear are given to her as free publicity from Danish Designers. Especially on overseas tours as so many get to see what she is wearing. Of course I could be completely wrong. But then I believe the magazines are completely wrong too, as they tend to pluck a figure out of nowhere.:)

Back
Top Bottom