Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg's Charities and Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Countess Alexandra and Martin Jørgensen attended the summer
concert of the Danish Radio Girl Choir, Alexandra is patron of, at
the Tivoli in Copenhagen last week.

** Pic **

Countess Alexandra in her role as Danish committee for UNICEF has been in
Nuuk, Greenland these days. Her visit highlights the cooperation between
UNICEF and the government of Greenland on an improvement in children's
living conditions in the country. The Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra
Fund also supports projects on that issue.
Meetings with business representatives have been on the agenda, as well
as visits to kindergartens, holiday camps or an orphanage.

Here are some pics:

** Alex besøger Grønlands børn **

Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

A note in Billed Bladet #34, put a litte focus on what has unfortunately been an overlooked subject.
Alexandra in her capacity as patron for UNICEF went to Greenland for four days.
Where she visited a school, a kindergarten and an orphanage.

The Greenlandic homerule parliament has begun a cooporation with UNICEF in order to deal with the truly serious social issues in Greenland affecting not least the children.
Issues that are so grave that there have been calls for intervention in the Danish Parliament, despite Greenland having autonomi. (*) Now, finally, the issue is being addressed.
This cooporation between an autonomous local government and UNICEF is pretty unique.

(*) With exception of the Constitution, foreign political affairs and security policy, including maintaining sovereignty. These subjects are handled by the Danish government based on the Danish Parliament. The Danish Parliaments consist of one chamber with 179 members, of those two are from Greenland and two are from the Faroe Islands, representing a combined population of about 100.000.

Countess Alexandra in her role as Danish committee for UNICEF has been in
Nuuk, Greenland these days. Her visit highlights the cooperation between
UNICEF and the government of Greenland on an improvement in children's
living conditions in the country. The Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra
Fund also supports projects on that issue.
Meetings with business representatives have been on the agenda, as well
as visits to kindergartens, holiday camps or an orphanage.

Here are some pics:

** Alex besøger Grønlands børn **

Nicolai was with her
Was he really?
The sign under the photo says "Arkivfoto" (a photo from archive).
No articles mention the young Prince Nikolai.

Good observation, Kasumi, well then I would also say he wasn't with her.

Today the annual Ecco event has taken place again. Countess Alexandra,
husband Martin, Prince Felix and Prince Nikolai have taken part at the Ecco
Walkathon 2010 in Copenagen, August 29, 2010:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 ** Pic 8 **

** ppe gallery **

Last edited:

Countess Alexandra is in Berlin, Germany, with the DR's Girls Choir. In her role as
patron she supports the girls during a concert tour with three dates this weekend.
One has taken place at the Gedächtnis church on Friday, one has been held for
the Nordish ambassadeurs and today, another concert will take place at the Berlin
cathedral. A sight-seeing programme is of course included as well.

** BB: Grevinde Alexandra på tøsetur til Berlin **

The DR's Girls Choir has given the annual Christmas concert in presence of their patroness
Countess Alexandra. It's been an emotional event as Chief Conductor Michael Bojesen had
decided to end his engagement for the choir after ten years, the following article includes
a group picture taken at the concert and states that Alexandra even had tears in her eyes
during the farewell ceremony with speeches and songs.

** Rørt til tårer – Alexandras gribende afsked ** translation **

There's an article here from sn.dk about Countess Alexandra attending an event for the Danish Association of the Blind's 100th anniversary, where she'll be having a three-course meal in a restaurant in total darkness, served by blind or partially-sighted waiters on Friday 25th Feb. The article also mentions that she's been in the area before; in 2005 she visited the Birkegårdens Haver (in the picture), which as far as I understand is basically a sort of garden attraction with Japanese/Danish/'Artist' and so on gardens.

Grevinde Alexandra skal spise i mørke - sn.dk - Sjællands Nyheder - Lokal - Sorø

(First post since Jan 2010 - hope I've put this in the right place! :eek:)

(First post since Jan 2010 - hope I've put this in the right place! :eek:)

Nearly, alex001 ;) I've moved your post from her current events thread to this
patronage thread, as Countess Alexandra is involved in the Danish Association
of the Blind the event was linked to :)

Countess Alexandra is her role as patron of UNICEF attended the ceremony in which Randers
was announced as the UNICEF City 2011 last week. A children's project in Karamoja, northeastern
Uganda, will be supported with several projects during the year.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** BB: Grevinde Alexandra og Randers hjælper børnene ** translation **

** unicef gallery: Randers er årets UNICEF By i 2011 **

** video: Grevinde Alexandra modtager gave på Randers Rådhus **

Thanks iceflower, its seems ages since we last sew her at an event. Great to see her still working for UNICEF.

Good to see her again! however I prefer her hair to be slightly longer, and her smile is as usual---dazzling.

A bit from the paper edition of Billedbladet:

Alexandra in Randers, for UNICEF
Countess Alexandra was in place when Randers last week officially became Unicef City 2011.
Together with Mayor Henning Jensen Nyhuus and UNICEF Denmark Secretary Steen Andersen appointed UNICEF Randers UNICEF city in a ceremony at the Old Town Hall.
During 2011 the culture and business together with the municipality will make a lot of activities and events to raise money for a children's project in Karamoja tat is located in northeastern Uganda.
The project aim to get more children in school because only 20 percent of children in Karamoja are going to school told Alexandra, who also revealed that the project also will focus on childrens health and sports.
While also focusing on children's rights and conditions in Denmark the countess pointed out.
After Alexandra's speach she greeted the 30 newly appointed ambassadors that during the year will spread the word about the project that is already begun thanks to children in Randers.
Sale of paintings and drawings from the children, along with a series of day-care arrangements has collected 46,395 kroner which were handed over by a day care employee and her wonderful kids. The amount is a nice start to the large communal project.

Good for the Countess. Alexandra no longer belongs to the Royal Family, but the amount of work she has done for the charities and patronages not only reflects on her, but on her former Family.:flowers: She's a neat woman.:flowers:

Good for the Countess. Alexandra no longer belongs to the Royal Family, but the amount of work she has done for the charities and patronages not only reflects on her, but on her former Family.:flowers: She's a neat woman.:flowers:

She is. I agree. And all of her friends do to.
Alexandra is still a dear friend to Frederik and Mary. She is also still a part of high society. Here Alexandra and Martin is at a birthday party for nobleman Wedell-Wedelsborg.

Kronprinsparret festede med Alex og Martin - TV 2 Vip

Yes, Alexandra and a neatly dressed but unshaved Martin Jørgensen went to dinner. (*)

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #09, 2011.
Middag i mørke - Dinner in darkness. (**)
Written by Trine Larsen.

47 dinner guests in total attended the dinner at the 100 anniversary of the Danish Association for the Blind at a restaurant in Sorø, not far from Copenhagen.
In connection with the anniversary a number of restaurants will be completely darkened out in a concept called Dark Waiter.
Where people can experience how it is to have a dinner when you are blind.
Alexandra said: "It's an utterly fantastic experience to dine in darkness. I've tried it before and it's cerainly not easy, when you can't see the food, find glass or utensils or know how much coffee there are in the cups.
It's incredible how much the visual means. I've heard that it is difficult to taste between red and white wine and so on. But on this evening we're all in the same boat, because no one can see anything. And if you drop something or turn something over, it isn't so embarrassing, as if everyone could see you. Here we all sit and fiddle us way through the darkness.
But even though we are together about this experience, it's nevertheless a serious topic. And that's what I'd like to put emphasis on. Because on a day to day basis the blind and visually impaired are alone in a dark world and unfortunately 2.400 Danes lose their sight each year".

(*) Why oh why can't that man shave? He's not 25 anymore. Robinson Crusoe may have had a valid reason for not shaving, but Martin....

(**) Of course! Silly me. Martin didn't shave, so that Alexandra could locate him in the darkness. "Stubbles? That can only be my Martin".

Last edited:
Frankly, I hope the man never shaves! I think he looks sexy.

And what a great concept and a fantastic event.

Countess Alexandra attends a "Dinner in the Dark" to raise awareness of issues facing the blind:

"Countess Alexandra, 46, and her husband, Martin Jorgensen, 33, were as excited as all the other diners, as they were guided into into the totally darkened Restaurant Boots Kathrine House Sorø to eat a three course gourmet dinner. The Countess, a patron of the Danish Blind, was intrigued by the visually impaired and blind conditions. She had a hard time imagining what it was like taking a festive menu without being able to see her own hand. How could you get something on the fork, and how might one eat without tipping over or spilling something? The Countess had previously participated in a "dark events" in a cafe, where she accidently sat in the lap of a stranger."

http://www.darkwaiter.dk[.../nyheder/alexandramoerke/

Good pictures as well.

Last edited:
Thank you, Jemagre & Iceflower :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #20, 2011.
Børn har ret til kærlighed - Children has the right to be loved.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Countess Alexandra recently visited an orphanage in Bulgaria on behalf of UNICEF and she also inaugurated a UNICEF centre there.
The centre can advise up to 220 families with children. And 25 families can attend a socalled family apprentenship, basically intense family counselling.
There is room for about 20 women to go to consultations prior to giving birth.
And up to 60 families can recieve family councelling.
There is also room for 20 children, from varios orphanages, who at the centre can recieve social behavioural training.
Just as there is a special kindergarten for 50 children and their parents.

There are around 14.000 orphans in Bulgaria, living in 131 orhanages. The one Alexandra visited must be considered among the best.
It's no fun being an orphan in Bulgaria, no fun at all!
Countess Alexandra visited an orphanage with 55 children at the age of 0-7.
Many if not most of the children are not used to human contact, let alone tenderness, being caressed or even being spoken to. As such they already socially handicapped, introverted, shy, fearful and recoiling from human contact.
Alexandra managed to create a contact with a number of the children, who at first were unresponsive but then lightened up and even smiled. Here was an adult who was friendly and showed them attention, any attention.
Especially one of the children, 18 months old Elena. At first Elena was unreponsive towards Alexandra who caressed the child, spoke to her, talked and smiled to her. Then Elena thawed and smiled back and grabbed Alexandra's hand firmly.
The reporter herself, also fell for one one the children, Svetlana.

Afterwards Alexandra said: "It's heartbreaking to see children live like that, especially as you know, they are not orphans but simply abandoned. Left at an orphanage because their parents are so poor that they cannot take care of them themselves".

The UNICEF centre is located in in Vidin, in the poorest area of Europe and there is a long standing tradition there for sending the children to an orphanage, when the parents cannot cope.
Alexandra: "We must change that. Because evrybody knows how important it is for children to grow up with their parents and siblings. Where there is care and love, something they don't get at an orphanage. We saw that very clearly.
I'm certain the employees do what they can (*) but there are no enough resources to provide care and comfort. But hopefully the UNICEF centre in Vidin will become a rolemodel for several other centres in Bulgaria.
There are 14.000 children in orphanages in Bulgaria and they have not only deserved another life, they also have a right to that. But a change of attitude is also needed and hopefully the UNICEF centre can help in that respect".

Q: As a mother it most be horrible to see so many children suffer from lack of human contact and love?
A: "It's heartbreaking, especially when you learn that the infants are isolated for 21 days when they arrive. Imagine an infant who has no other form of contacts with adults, other than when they get a change of diapers and are fed. It's unbeareble to think about".

- I find such articles and project so very important, but on a personal level they bring back unpleasant memories. I've dealt with traumatized children myself, some of them were orphans.
All your problems seems so utterly trivial in comparison.

(*) One of the pictures in the articles was telling I think. Alexandra is trying to establish contact with a boy, who was afraid, because he was not used to someone touching him. The expression in the eyes of the attendee holding him was blank, numb, indifferent, dead.

Last edited:
Thanks for the translation. As I don't know Danish I couldn't get everything but this translation helped fill in the missing pieces I had from the video.

Yesterday, May 23, Countess Alexandra as Patron of the Danish Society for the Blind has
handed out money for the eye research and awarded scholarships in Copenhagen.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gallery **

** sn.dk: Grevinde Alexandra uddelte penge til øjenforskere ** translation **

You are always tirelessly digging up stuff for us.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #22, 2011.
Jeg har gode gener - I have good genes.
Written by Henrik Salling.

The Danish Society for the Blind turns 100 this year and Countess Alexandra is patron.
In that capacity she recently handed out grants worth 1.5 million DKK for eye-research. That took place in Medical Museion in Copenhagen.

Her own eyesight is fine, she told our reporter and added: "I think I have some good genes. Neither my mother nor my father have used glasses. And my father had until the end a very good eyesight indeed. At far away distances he saw everything.
So I hope that I for many years still, can do without glasses".

Her secretary, Julie Vibe Michelsen, accompanied her to the event.

- And that concludes this weeks coverage of the DRF in Billed Bladet.

Last edited:
It's nice to see her again. But, I prefer her hair to be a little bit longer.

It's nice to see her again. But, I prefer her hair to be a little bit longer.

she has almost always worn her hair short so I don't think I like her hair long.

She is very natural on the charity circuit. Nice to see that Martin comes along sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom