Royal Family of Belgium - Current Events, Part 6 (Jan. 2007 - Jan. 2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to believe it's been fifteen years already. King Albert looks well and of course Queen Paola looks elegant and beautiful! Mathilde is beyond radiant, how in the world does she get skin like that?

Queen Fabiola looks great but the light seems to have gone from her eyes...I can't really explain it. Since Baudouin died I have seen her smile and look cheerful, but she hasn't ever appeared truly happy since.

Poor woman.

cute

Just pity that the child’s face is hidden behind the flowers but, all the same the best picture this event in my opinion: :angel::.ppe-agency-paola
A little person in his/her daily clothes and Queen Paola dressed top-hole trying to make some contact through the bars

fabiola and baudouin always looked happy together. at least in the pictures i saw of them together.

(happy birthday amedeo)

fabiola and baudouin always looked happy together. at least in the pictures i saw of them together.

(happy birthday amedeo)

I think they are-or were-the ideal Royal couple. They were as sweet and romantic at the end of their lives together as they were at the beginning.

I was wondering, why are they commemorating this on February 20th as the King died in the summer?

I was wondering, why are they commemorating this on February 20th as the King died in the summer?

Every year their is a ceremony in february because of the fact that every year on the 17th of february we remember all the members of the royal family who died! This year it was specially for king Boudewijn because he died 15 years ago. Every year on the 17th of february the flags in belgium are hanging half.
The choose this day because on the 17 of february 1935 their was a ceremony for king Albert I who diedin an accident in Marche-les-Dames in 1934. After the dead of queen Astrid on the 29th of 1935 they decieded to hold every year a family service in the church of Laken to remember the members of the royal family who died.

All Royal Women wore ugly hats! :eek:
Queen Paola looked most elegant. Mathilde looks beautiful; but that hat did not do anything for her.

queen paola is very elegant i agree. she always looks like the time of person who would be graceful and soft spoken.

Do I see it well? It looks if Queen Fabiola and Princess Astrid have the same handbag with them.
And has Queen Paola no handbag with her? I almost can't imagine that she has not.

Amazing! What a gorgeous woman! Thanks for posting those pix, Steven-

I never thought that any of her children looked like her, but in these pictures i see princess astrid a little bit.

As posted by Catherine on the Benelux Royals MB:

Queen Paola and princess Astrid were present at the Saints Michel et Gudule cathedral in Brussels, for the opening of the exhibition "septiformis - ars in cathedrali".
The exhibition is a gift of the Belgian bishops for 75th birthday of cardinal Godfried Danneels. 7 artists made a piece inspired by a social issue.

PS Astrid's coat = Dries van Noten

Some pictures:

Paola & Astrid 1

Paola & Astrid 2

Paola & Astrid 3

Paola & Astrid 4

Paola & Astrid 5

Last edited:
Anyone knows in whose honour the concert was? I recognized some of our Olympic athletes. Did it have anything to do with them?

Great hair of Queen Fabiola in pic 4!!!

I just don't understand why her hair doesn't seem to be thinning with age...I am several decades younger and my hair is not nearly as thick!

Her hair seems even thicker now than it was when she was a young woman!

Claire's hairstyle is wonderful, but Laurent should REALLY consider going on a diet for the sake of his health. He has about three chins!

Anyone knows in whose honour the concert was? I recognized some of our Olympic athletes. Did it have anything to do with them?

The 'Automn Concert', at the Royal Palace in Brussels,
I think the "theme" was sport since there where a lot of belgian athlethes and Jaques Rogge.

I read in Paris Match that Philippe and Mathilde were on holiday with their 4 children.

I just don't understand why her hair doesn't seem to be thinning with age...I am several decades younger and my hair is not nearly as thick!

Her hair seems even thicker now than it was when she was a young woman!

It's called a wig, I believe...:D

Though truth to be told, she just has a whole lot of hair, and the way it's styled also gives the impression that her hair isn't thinning. But I swear, sometimes she wears a wig.

It's called a wig, I believe...:D

Though truth to be told, she just has a whole lot of hair, and the way it's styled also gives the impression that her hair isn't thinning. But I swear, sometimes she wears a wig.

LOL! Well that makes me feel a LITTLE better..if it is a wig it is well styled enough not to look like one..Fabiola's hairstylist was in a recenty "Royals" magazine and he said he comes to the palace DAILY to do her hair...and she does two or three things at once while having her hair done, always.

I only saw one photo of the queen with a hairpiece, one of the rare occasions when she changed her standard style. It was a formal evening engagement in the Sixties and it was sort of a chignon on top of her own hair. She was wearing the Wolfers Tiara and it looked stunning.

Thank you very much for all these beautiful photos.

The King, Prince Laurent and Princess Claire paid tribute to Sister Emanuelle yesterday.
Pic 1 - Pic 2 - Pic 3 - Pic 4
(Belga)

Sister Emanuelle was known as the "rag picker of Cairo" (sorry, this is a horribly rough translation, "Voddenraapster van Cairo in Dutch"). She erected schools and medical centers in Cairo, where she lived among the rag pickers and in the same circumstances. Sister Emanuelle was born in 1908 and didn't live to see her 100th birthday: she died last October.
There was a Mass at the St Michel & St Gudule Cathedral in Brussels to commemorate her.

Didn't know where else to post this so here it oes: the VRT has refused to broadcast a radio commercial of HUMO that is making fun of the Royal Family. In the (IMO very lame) commercial a reporter is standing in the palace of Brussels, looking for people intelligent enough to read this weeks issue. He can not find any and Laurent and Philippe are playing hide & seek.

Lame. No other word.

On another note, the new Royal Warrants were issued today.
Among the new "Purveyors to the Royal Household" is the "dog hotel" where Queen Paola's dogs go when she is on a trip abroad.
Even more surprising is the granting of a Royal Warrant to the NMBS-SNCB (National Train company) Apparently, the King and Queen like to travel by train, and they are known to sometimes take the train incognito.

I'm sorry, but I nearly fell from my chair laughing when I heard that. Incognito? Yeah, right...

See here for article and clip in dutch (vrt).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom